GottaDEAL 2023 Prize Club Discussion Thread

Brad

Christmas in July and Prime Day kicked my tail. I'd love to say I spent most of my money on gifts, and I did get a few, but I have to admit most of it was spent on ME.  I told myself I wasn't going to spend any money apart from necessities for at least all of August, but then I bought tickets for 8 to take a ride on the Polar Express this year!  I'm pretty excited about it! But now I really have to stop spending money 🥰.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

As August begins (or already begun), I was reminded that this is the 30th anniversary of the Flood of 1993.  My town was safe, but the same couldn't be said for many towns along the Missouri River in central Missouri.  Many towns suffered major flooding and some were so bad that the town had to be relocated (Rhineland, MO).  Another (Cedar City) pretty much ceased to exist and spelled the end of the Renz Correctional Facility for Women (thought the place wasn't in great shape to begin with).  It seems like when discussing the flood, the central Missouri area is often overlooked, but in fairness, many places had it much worse than we did.

I am currently watching a lot of videos on Youtube of the coverage from 1993 as well as the aftermath.  Its amazing how 30 years later that the same area which had a summer deluge of rain is now experiencing severe drought (which might be downgraded to less severe thanks to a few days of rain, which oddly is creating flash flooding).  Its heartbreaking to watch some of it, but also a bit fun to see how some of these places which I have visited in later years looked like before floods changed their towns history.

Anyways, checking in for the month, and hoping the weather is a little less cruel this month for everybody.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

How is it August already?!  School starts back this coming week where I live so my commute to work will be exponentially worse.  Can’t wait for that.  Also still dealing with excessive heat warnings as well.  As I have aged my tolerance for heat has gone downhill so fast.  I hate it.  

• Like 1

Finally back from vacation after our cruise ship broke down. We waited for them to get us back to London from Germany and moor flight home. Had to rebook another flight one way last minute. That was expensive. Glad the cruise line is reimbursing us. It took 5 days instead of 2 to get home and a lot of stress. Glad we can laugh about it now

3 hours ago, momlori said:

Finally back from vacation after our cruise ship broke down. We waited for them to get us back to London from Germany and moor flight home. Had to rebook another flight one way last minute. That was expensive. Glad the cruise line is reimbursing us. It took 5 days instead of 2 to get home and a lot of stress. Glad we can laugh about it now

Oh my word.  And here I thought we had some bad flight issues on our vacation.  Glad you can laugh about it now.  

10 hours ago, momlori said:

We’re you on Carnival Pride?

Happy August! My daughter just finished up her final luge summer training camp, and will head back to Lake Placid in late October, when the new season officially begins. My oldest moves back to Temple on Friday. He will be an RA this year, so we will definitely be seeing less of him, as he will not be able to come home as often. Also, he got a kitten for an emotional support animal, and Amtrak Keystone Service is one of only two routes that don't allow animals to travel, unless they are service animals, which means if he comes home, either his father or I have to travel to pick them up. Not a fan of driving in Philly. Ugh.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:25 PM, HanShotFirst said:

How is it August already?!  School starts back this coming week where I live so my commute to work will be exponentially worse.  Can’t wait for that.  Also still dealing with excessive heat warnings as well.  As I have aged my tolerance for heat has gone downhill so fast.  I hate it.  

Same, hate the heat and humidity. I prefer Fall and actually like winter and snow. I can add layers and still be comfortable. 

On 8/3/2023 at 10:22 AM, Bopeep said:

Christmas in July and Prime Day kicked my tail. I'd love to say I spent most of my money on gifts, and I did get a few, but I have to admit most of it was spent on ME.  I told myself I wasn't going to spend any money apart from necessities for at least all of August, but then I bought tickets for 8 to take a ride on the Polar Express this year!  I'm pretty excited about it! But now I really have to stop spending money 🥰.

We almost bought the caboose (for 12). But choice of days left wouldn’t work. 

checking in for Aug. hope everyone is enjoying their summer. 

On 8/6/2023 at 11:10 AM, momlori said:

o my....