>>> Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

All tv's that are 720p are 1080i as well. When comparing quality you should look for 720p or 1080p this refers to the number of lines of vertical resolution. 1080i is technically a higher resolution hence 1080 but due to it being interlaced and not progressive scan; it in turn looks either the same or worse. 1080p is currently the highest resolution offered until we see Ultra High Def which is 1440 and 2160...but that will be a while.

All tv's that are 720p are 1080i as well. When comparing quality you should look for 720p or 1080p this refers to the number of lines of vertical resolution. 1080i is technically a higher resolution hence 1080 but due to it being interlaced and not progressive scan; it in turn looks either the same or worse. 1080p is currently the highest resolution offered until we see Ultra High Def which is 1440 and 2160...but that will be a while.

Not true, not all 720p tv's are 1080i as well. Now the opposite is true, all 1080i tv's will do 720p. And the whole 1080i quality depends on proper setup and rendering, if done correctly looks as good if not better than 720p but it's alot more complex than that.

Costco Vizio VP50 Plasma

I bought this TV on 9-17-07 for $1299.99 and now they are selling it for $1199.99 and on Black Friday, they have a $200 off coupon so the price would be $999.99 for a savings of $300 bucks.

Do you think Costco will make me bring this same TV back and exchange for a new one on that day or just give me the difference in cash since I am within the 90 policy?

Not true, not all 720p tv's are 1080i as well. Now the opposite is true, all 1080i tv's will do 720p. And the whole 1080i quality depends on proper setup and rendering, if done correctly looks as good if not better than 720p but it's alot more complex than that.

Show me a 720p tv at a store that does not support 1080i. Just saying that people should look for 720p or 1080p. Helps saves confusion since it is all "complex" anyways.

Costco Vizio VP50 Plasma

I bought this TV on 9-17-07 for $1299.99 and now they are selling it for $1199.99 and on Black Friday, they have a $200 off coupon so the price would be $999.99 for a savings of $300 bucks.

Do you think Costco will make me bring this same TV back and exchange for a new one on that day or just give me the difference in cash since I am within the 90 policy?

You may need to talk to the store manager. They may or may not; stores tend to differ when it comes to things such as this.

I have to agree with everyone the prices on LCD/Plasma are horrible this year. The only thing worth mentioning is the Sharp lc-52d64u 1080p at CC for $2199.99. That boy is a true bargain! Too bad only few are in stock. For Olevia tv fans try the Microcenter near you. They usually offer the best BF prices out there purchased a 32" 720p last year for $350.00.:D

Show me a 720p tv at a store that does not support 1080i. Just saying that people should look for 720p or 1080p. Helps saves confusion since it is all "complex" anyways.

Downsampling the image is NOT the same as supporting. 720p IS a lower quality of image.

720p has slightly under 1 million pixels total for reproducing image quality. 1080i has slightly over 2 million pixels. Therefore, 720p supports only half of the total picture quality that 1080i does.

Saving confusion is not a justification for being just plain wrong. Half of the confusion surrounding HD arises because people spread information by the "Mmmm, whatever" method.

Really, is "1080 > 720" that confusing?

hi all, im pretty new to this site and am looking to purchase my first hdtv for my bedroom.

ideally, i'm looking for a 37, 40, or a 42 inch lcd that i can watch normal cable broadcast, upscaled dvds, and hook up my xbox 360 to. which one this black friday should i be going for? i've created a spreadsheet with certain specs from all the models (32-42) that are in my price range (sub 700 preffered, a bit flexible to go up to 800.)

i have a few questions though:

as far as brightness, which is better? 450 cd/m2 or 500 cd/m2? does it matter?

as far as contrast ratio, is it... the higher the better?

as far as response time, which is better? 6ms? 8ms? the higher, or lower the better? i've read some confusing things on this..

as far as resolution: is it necc. to get 1080p (or 1080i for that matter.) for my needs mentioned above?

any help in getting me to select the best hd-tv for the price would be helpful. i DONT want to spend a lot of money, however if it'll cost me a hundred or two to get simply 2x the product on an investment that will atleast be 400 (based on the black friday prices,) it would be stupid for me to hold back.

i'll settle for a 32 in. if that after all is the best product for price, given my price point. but bigger is better!

thanks in advance!

Costco Vizio VP50 Plasma

i purchased the 50 inch vizio plasma from sams club back in march for $1600.. then about a month later they dropped the price to $1350. i took the receipt back and they gave me the cash difference right on the spot with no problem.

Downsampling the image is NOT the same as supporting. 720p IS a lower quality of image.

720p has slightly under 1 million pixels total for reproducing image quality. 1080i has slightly over 2 million pixels. Therefore, 720p supports only half of the total picture quality that 1080i does.

Saving confusion is not a justification for being just plain wrong. Half of the confusion surrounding HD arises because people spread information by the "Mmmm, whatever" method.

Really, is "1080 > 720" that confusing?

Well, it is if your thinking is that "pixel density" == quality. While obviously 720p does not have the same raw number of pixels as 1080i, the 1080i picture is interlaced, meaning that it draws every other scan line per pass vs every scan line per pass. In real world terms that means that if you're watching something that has a lot of fast movement, the 720p picture can actually look better than the 1080i (fewer artifacts). The "old" wisdom used to be to use 1080i in general and 720p for things like sports and video games. Lots of tv's today have chipsets with enough horsepower to do a very good job with 1080i signals to minimize this effect.

Another issue is native panel size. Most 720p/1080i sets on the market only support 720p natively, meaning that they'll downsample 1080i signals not matter what you do. There were a few sets last year that have 1920x1080 panels but yet didn't support 1080p signals, but they could display 1080i signals at native resolution (and frustratingly enough, they advertised themselves as being 1080p, ugh). My guess is that this is the original posters point, that it really isn't worthwhile to talk 1080i since very few tv's natively support that resolution. Most all panels today are either 720p or 1080p.

Either way one is usually hard pressed to tell the difference between a 1080i and 720p image (motion artifacts aside) on anything smaller than a 42" tv and a pretty good signal/source anyway.

PM me with your email address and I will send you the list I'm compiling of all LCDs, Plasmas, and DLPs. I'm not posting due to Office Max wanting their prices removed, and possible future accusation letters.

Can you pm the list i cant pm anyone untill i have enough post thanks

I'm wondering if all you kind people out there could help me. I am looking for a hdtv in the 30to 42 inch range. I am not picky, just something that won't break after a week. Did anyone see any good deals. I am so ignorant I don't even know the difference between lcd and hdtv and I don't have time to research it. Thanks so much everyone!

Sears still has there Panasonic 42" Plasma HD 1080p Television (TH-42PZ77U) on sale with $150 off rebate, putting you at about $1000. Great deal! DOES NOT HAVE %5 OFF STILL, but this is was consumer reports best buy the 720 version of this. its much better TV than best Buys black friday, that is only 720 and low contrast ratio to this. Also better Circuit black friday which is only 720 version of this.

Jsut letting you know. Only thing this don't have is regular computer hook up and PIP. Normally around $1800, most have it on sale for $1300 or so.

I was able to purchase the Toshiba 42" Full HDTV in the Sears black Friday ad BELOW the Black Friday price. They did a price match plus 10% from a local competitor plus they have a promotion with their credit card that will give you another $150 off.

Black Friday price $1249

Price I got it today $1106

Toshiba 42HL167- Consumer Reports best buy in it's category.

ok you brilliant electronic people... here's what I think I need... does this sound right and what would be the best deal for me?

I have a strangely shaped room that has only one spot for the TV... right now we have a 60 inch Mitsubishi Projection TV in it and it is WAY to big (plus I hate it). The problems with the room are that 1) It's not very wide so you have to sit relatively close to the screen, which makes me think I want a 42inch TV, 50inches at the very most. 2) We have a big family and a wraparound couch, meaning that sometimes you are watching TV from an angle rather than dead on which from what I've read makes me think I would want a plasma TV vs an LCD. 3) The only spot for the TV happens to be opposite a window so there is alot of light focused on the TV and currently alot of glare. From what I've read an LCD would be better for this, but it's possible to get a plasma with an antiglare screen which might work on both my issues. 4) Finally 720P vs 1080i vs 1080P. I think people have said that this is only a huge difference on TV's larger than 42 inches so if I stick with that size it doesn't really matter so which ever I can get the best deals on. Does all of this rambling from someone who has no idea what they're talking about sound at all right? I read some reviews and the Panasonics seem to do pretty well.... what do you think of the 42inch at BB on BF or are there better deals/models out there?