>>> Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Here's some insight for those of you who may be interested in HDTV's - I bought that Olevia 32" last year from CC and ended up returning it. It was not good quality. Six months passed and I ended up going for a CC 32" Panasonic, which has been great. 2 HDMI's, Component, S-Video plus it picks up free HDTV local channels from Cable TV.

From my research and experience - Phillips is ok, but I've read about a lot of repairs to those. Samsung does not retain aspect ratio of 4:3 - which means that if you have standard non-HD cable (which most of you do) and adjust the picture to aspect ratio of 4:3 so the image looks a little better, it won't keep the setting. Samsungs are very weird that way. I've seen reviews of Vizio being really strong, but I was hesitant to buy a brand that hasn't been around long enough to know if it has a good reputation. I liked Sony, LG and Panasonic.

Another lesson learned - what you see in the store show rooms is a 1080-i broadcast. From what I understand, 1080-i is very very high quality. When you plug your tv in at home don't expect it to look like that. Regular standard cable or even satellite tv signals don't always look great on these big, bright HDTV's. I pick up free HD local channels - NBC, FOX, etc and those look great. Standard cable channels, even digital standard cable, are not going to look wonderful, but acceptable.

Anyways - for this year, I'd suggest most of you go with the name brands you know and trust - the CC Sony 32", CC Panasonic 42", BB Panasonic 42". Polariod's, Westinghouse's, etc. might buy you a couple years, but you'll wish you had spent a little more. Especially if you play video games and DVD's.

OK, last time I'll say this. The majority (nearly all) of the manufacturers source their panels and primary driver electronics from common sources. The most important implication is that there is a SIGNIFICANT variance in quality (both in outright performance and reliability) across any manufacturers models, EVEN in the same family. If you look at say the Olevia line, they have 3 "families" of units with 3 or 4 sizes per family. If you look at the detailed specs, you'll notice that there is a significant amount of variation amongst them. Just because this persons 32" Olevia had "issues" (esp with the standard def signal like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts) doesn't speak at all for my 37". Ditto for other manufacturers. Just because you read/heard great things about a specific Sony or Panny model, you shouldn't automatically assume that the same will hold true for other models.

Like I've always said, narrow down your choices and research the SPECIFIC models you are interested in. Don't stress about "families" as this changes constantly.

Also, funny you mention LG as a "name". Would you feel the same if it had the "brand name" that they used before they started using LG here in the states, "GoldStar"? I think anyone who remembers from just a few years ago wouldn't touch a piece of electronics made by GoldStar with a 10' pole, but I guess now that they are LG, it's ok (smart move using LG and dumping GoldStar).

awesome info, had no idea the LG/Goldstar connection. I personally am looking for a specific model Panasonic to go on sale (TH-42x77U), I didn't see it and will not compromise, thus I will not be waiting in line BF. I may end up purchasing off Amazon, in any case glad you had good results with your Olevia, I may have to research further.

OK, last time I'll say this. The majority (nearly all) of the manufacturers source their panels and primary driver electronics from common sources. The most important implication is that there is a SIGNIFICANT variance in quality (both in outright performance and reliability) across any manufacturers models, EVEN in the same family. If you look at say the Olevia line, they have 3 "families" of units with 3 or 4 sizes per family. If you look at the detailed specs, you'll notice that there is a significant amount of variation amongst them. Just because this persons 32" Olevia had "issues" (esp with the standard def signal like I mentioned in one of my earlier posts) doesn't speak at all for my 37". Ditto for other manufacturers. Just because you read/heard great things about a specific Sony or Panny model, you shouldn't automatically assume that the same will hold true for other models.

Like I've always said, narrow down your choices and research the SPECIFIC models you are interested in. Don't stress about "families" as this changes constantly.

Also, funny you mention LG as a "name". Would you feel the same if it had the "brand name" that they used before they started using LG here in the states, "GoldStar"? I think anyone who remembers from just a few years ago wouldn't touch a piece of electronics made by GoldStar with a 10' pole, but I guess now that they are LG, it's ok (smart move using LG and dumping GoldStar).

Of course they source their parts from different companies, however, it only increases or decreases where the TV will fall into the upper quality spectrum. A $10k Pioneer top of the line has different quality parts than a Pioneer TV in the mid-range, but both are good quality. The point being Pioneer has chosen good quality parts and good manufacturing techniques for their entire product line. If you mean that lower priced models by major brands are similar in quality to lesser known brands I would ask you why major brands sell so much more and have better quality ratings. Don't believe me, google JD Power and go into electronics and HDTV's, you'll see proof. I challenge you on your belief that just because one Panasonic model is good that others made by Panasonic may not be. Go into any store and compare the provided TV signal to an entire line of one size TV (say 32"). You'll see the lower end models are less bright, have less features and are simply inferior. Then look at major brands and you'll see slight differences among them, but overall are better quality.

Oh, one more thing. I can't leave your LG comment alone. Stating that changing your name and overhauling your procurement and manufacturing processes doesn't make a difference is ridiculous. Hyundai used to be synonymous with garbage - now they are just as expensive as Toyota and Honda and have high quality ratings. Verizon Wireless used to get its rear-end handed to them by other carriers' call quality and service, now it rivals AT&T. Fugifilm cameras used to be garbage, now they are rated higher than Cannon.

Anyone know where I would be able to find a decent Tv for my daughter? She is only going ot be four so a tube is fine plus it doesnt have to be no bigger than 20". I saw a few at Target for $139 & $149 for 20" but am wondering if there will be better deals as it gets closer to BF.

Does Sears price match and Online price of a tv. (Same model, etc). Thanks. I printed the page with the model on it, picture of the tv, and price. Same everything. So I should get the price match and an additional 10%? I hope so

depends on the associate. If it's a local store (circuit city, best buy, target, walmart, etc) that carries the TV, MOST associates will price match the website price. Some associates will actually call the store and check the in store price and will only price match that.

Been researching some lcd's lately I I'm looking for a good price on a 50-52" lcd or plasma(prefer lcd) Does anyone know if the Olevia 52" lcd will be on sale anywhere(since Sears REALLY busted my bubble) or a Westinghouse 52"?? I've also been looking at the 52" Vizio at Costco.. Anyone know if anyone will have these at decent savings??? Lookin for around $1500-$1700. Target.com has the Olevia 52" for 2500..WInder will there be any online only deals???

Of course they source their parts from different companies, however, it only increases or decreases where the TV will fall into the upper quality spectrum. A $10k Pioneer top of the line has different quality parts than a Pioneer TV in the mid-range, but both are good quality. The point being Pioneer has chosen good quality parts and good manufacturing techniques for their entire product line. If you mean that lower priced models by major brands are similar in quality to lesser known brands I would ask you why major brands sell so much more and have better quality ratings. Don't believe me, google JD Power and go into electronics and HDTV's, you'll see proof. I challenge you on your belief that just because one Panasonic model is good that others made by Panasonic may not be. Go into any store and compare the provided TV signal to an entire line of one size TV (say 32"). You'll see the lower end models are less bright, have less features and are simply inferior. Then look at major brands and you'll see slight differences among them, but overall are better quality.

Oh, one more thing. I can't leave your LG comment alone. Stating that changing your name and overhauling your procurement and manufacturing processes doesn't make a difference is ridiculous. Hyundai used to be synonymous with garbage - now they are just as expensive as Toyota and Honda and have high quality ratings. Verizon Wireless used to get its rear-end handed to them by other carriers' call quality and service, now it rivals AT&T. Fugifilm cameras used to be garbage, now they are rated higher than Cannon.

No, I don't mean that lower priced mid range models from "name" manufacturers are as good or bad as "lower tier" manufacturers. Simply that you shouldn't simply dismiss other manufacturers because of name. The fact is that many components share common sources. A good example is 24" LCD's, Apple and Dell source the same panel, and though the controller electronics differ, you'd be hard pressed to figure out where all that extra money you are dishing out for the Apple version of the monitor is.

As for LG/GoldStar, once again, it simply reinforces my point that one shouldn't get hung up on the name, but rather they should do their homework on the SPECIFIC models that they are interested in. One could easily dismiss the LG label if they knew that it was the former GoldStar, just as many STILL dismiss Hyundai despite the realities of it's performance. You are actually agreeing with my argument that one shouldn't go by pre-conceived notions based on brand name alone.

Is there a noticable difference between a 1080i and a 1080p tv? So far my vote is for the Olevia 237T 37" LCD HDTV 1080i for $549 at Target.

Also, what is the deal with the contrast ratio(the olevia is 1600 : 1)? Does this greatly affect the clarity of the picture?

Finally, the primary use for my tv will be for HD gaming, would I better off going with a bigger720 or a smaller 1080?

I am really surprised no one has commented on the 65inch 1080P DLP from best buy for $1499 knock another $300 off if you get direct TV. That TV has some really nice reviews and is priced at $2199 right now. I went and looked at it today

thats what I was thinking. My buddy just got this TV not too long ago and its pretty nice. doesn't have PIP though but I never use that anyway

:)

Last year I bought a 42" Panasonic Plasma 720P at Best Buy for $999. It was a highly rated model. Boscov's dept store has been advertising this year's model for $999 in their regular Sunday ads.

Based on that I think you will see 42" Plasmas/LCDs around $799 for a brand name. Maybe even less for a OEM brand. I will be in the market for another 42" Plasma.

Guest mack222

Is there a noticable difference between a 1080i and a 1080p tv? So far my vote is for the Olevia 237T 37" LCD HDTV 1080i for $549 at Target.

Also, what is the deal with the contrast ratio(the olevia is 1600 : 1)? Does this greatly affect the clarity of the picture?

Finally, the primary use for my tv will be for HD gaming, would I better off going with a bigger720 or a smaller 1080?

Various studies have shown that it just isn't possible for the human eye to differentiate between 720P and 1080P on TV's smaller than around 50 inches unless you are standing like 2 feet from the screen. Contrast ratio is really a useless statistic because manufacturers all measure it differently. Its best to look at individual reviews of the TV you are looking at.

I don't know if it has been discussed yet but, anyone thinking about getting any type of tv should find one with a digital tuner (not analog) because analog tuners will be obsolete when all stations go to digital broadcast in 2009. This DOES NOT include anyone that has cable or satellite tv but only if you get your tv signal with an antenna. Also, anyone interested in a good LCD, Walmart has a Poloroid 46" 1080P LCD for $1397. That tv would be good if you are planning on getting either a Blu-ray DVD player or Playstation 3.

What are your thoughts on the Toshiba/Mitsubishi 65in from CC and BB???

The mitsubishi has much better ratings from all the TV rating sites including consumer reports I have looked at. We have decided to go with it. Hubby is out at BB looking at it now. I hope he brought a bib for all the drool :cheesy:

What do you guys think about the Samsung 50" Slim DLP HDTV for $799.99 Regular price $1199.99 advertised on the Circuit City ad? Its web id # HLT507SS.

I also heard on the news that all old tvs would stop working once the new year started unless you bought an HDTV adapter box which will be sold for around $100....I have a very old school tv so if this is true I want to make a good investment and get w/ the times. lol :groovin::holiday16