>>> Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

(Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but I didn't see it in this thread). While it is certainly true that you can replace the lamp in a DLP rear projection television or LCD/DLP projector for $300 or so and "get the brightness back" so to speak, projector lamps only have a half life of between 1000 hours and 8000 hours, while the half life of a modern plasma television (such as a Panasonic) is about 60000 hours! While it's true that a plasma display will eventually fail and have to be junked if it is used for many hours, you'd have to buy about 7 to 8 $300 lamps for a projector to match the rated life of a plasma. All in all, plasmas and LCDs are a better deal in my book....

Your confusing projectors with rear projection, two different systems. Projectors do have a short bulb life, rear projections last just about the same as plasmas,lcd's. Also any HT Pro will tell you 60,000hrs out of a plasma ain't happenin' , it's like dynamic contrast ratio numbers, each manufacturer has their own "number system"

Can you tell us what you ended up paying? Was Sears PMing online prices w/ shipping?

I think you might be able to claim the 10% cash back for using the Sears card.

I ended up paying 2143.11 with tax and everything.... :D

How do I get the 10% cash back for using my card??? That would be sweet... :razz:

Actually, I'm not really confusing front projectors with rear projection sets, I just lumped them together as a similar technology. Most commercial and consumer front projectors have manufacturer rated lamp lifes in the 1000 hour to 4000 hour range.

Regarding a DLP rear projection TV with a standard (non-LED) lamp, here's a quote from David Carnoy, an Executive editor at CNET: "Both Samsung and Sony say that their TVs offer up to 8,000 hours of bulb life, depending on brightness settings and usage." This 8000 hour rating also seems to be confirmed by many blogs and discussion threads I've read.

Some of the newer rear projection TVs are using solid state LED lamps to extend the lamp life of a DLP rear projection TV. Here is a press release from Samsung talking about their new (at the time) LED lights sourced DLP televisions: "This model also replaces the current UHP bulb with a high-powered LED light source, called PhlatLight™ that has a single chip DLP® light engine, which doesn't require a color wheel and provides improved longevity. Red, green and blue high-powered LEDs sequentially fire to produce smooth, stable color. The LED light engine also ensures a longer lamp life (20,000 hours without brightness degradation) and a shorter turn-on time (seven seconds). The engine is also mercury-free making it more environmentally friendly." According to their web site, Samsung still makes both technologies of DLP sets, some with regular UHP lamps with an 8000 hour rating, and some with the LED lamp with a 20000 hour rating.

While it's absolutely true that early technology plasma displays were plaqued with short half lives, causing many people to have to throw away an expensive investment well before they wanted to. However, most manufacturers have vastly improved the life of their displays to the point that Panasonic and other have models with half lives rated at 60000 hours. Does this mean that EVERY plasma will last 60000 hours? Of course not - this is just a theoretical calculation by the manufacturer as to the time it will take for half of all of their displays to fail. One model could last 1 hour and another could last 119999 hours, and on average they would have a half life of 60000 hours... While it may be wise to not trust a manufacturer on many things they say in their spec sheets, I would also argue that if a manufacturer's own tests determine that a new model should last much longer, then it probably will, even if many people never get the full 60000 hours of use out of a plasma (the same is true about projector lamps - they don't ALL last as long as the manufacturers' ratings say they do).

I'm sure that in the past, "any HT Pro will tell you 60,000hrs out of a plasma ain't happenin" was certainly true, since the older models installed years ago (that have now failed) are the ones that these dealers/installers are talking about. However, only time will tell if the plasmas installed last year and this year are failing at the same rate. However, since every owners' manual for a DLP rear projection TV includes instructions for the USER to change the lamp, I would certainly expect that good modern LCD or plasma display would typically last longer (maybe even much longer) than a good DLP rear display, no matter what manufacturer you trust or distrust...

Your confusing projectors with rear projection, two different systems. Projectors do have a short bulb life, rear projections last just about the same as plasmas,lcd's. Also any HT Pro will tell you 60,000hrs out of a plasma ain't happenin' , it's like dynamic contrast ratio numbers, each manufacturer has their own "number system"

Actually, I'm not really confusing front projectors with rear projection sets, I just lumped them together as a similar technology. Most commercial and consumer front projectors have manufacturer rated lamp lifes in the 1000 hour to 4000 hour range.

Regarding a DLP rear projection TV with a standard (non-LED) lamp, here's a quote from David Carnoy, an Executive editor at CNET: "Both Samsung and Sony say that their TVs offer up to 8,000 hours of bulb life, depending on brightness settings and usage." This 8000 hour rating also seems to be confirmed by many blogs and discussion threads I've read.

Some of the newer rear projection TVs are using solid state LED lamps to extend the lamp life of a DLP rear projection TV. Here is a press release from Samsung talking about their new (at the time) LED lights sourced DLP televisions: "This model also replaces the current UHP bulb with a high-powered LED light source, called PhlatLight™ that has a single chip DLP® light engine, which doesn't require a color wheel and provides improved longevity. Red, green and blue high-powered LEDs sequentially fire to produce smooth, stable color. The LED light engine also ensures a longer lamp life (20,000 hours without brightness degradation) and a shorter turn-on time (seven seconds). The engine is also mercury-free making it more environmentally friendly." According to their web site, Samsung still makes both technologies of DLP sets, some with regular UHP lamps with an 8000 hour rating, and some with the LED lamp with a 20000 hour rating.

While it's absolutely true that early technology plasma displays were plaqued with short half lives, causing many people to have to throw away an expensive investment well before they wanted to. However, most manufacturers have vastly improved the life of their displays to the point that Panasonic and other have models with half lives rated at 60000 hours. Does this mean that EVERY plasma will last 60000 hours? Of course not - this is just a theoretical calculation by the manufacturer as to the time it will take for half of all of their displays to fail. One model could last 1 hour and another could last 119999 hours, and on average they would have a half life of 60000 hours... While it may be wise to not trust a manufacturer on many things they say in their spec sheets, I would also argue that if a manufacturer's own tests determine that a new model should last much longer, then it probably will, even if many people never get the full 60000 hours of use out of a plasma (the same is true about projector lamps - they don't ALL last as long as the manufacturers' ratings say they do).

I'm sure that in the past, "any HT Pro will tell you 60,000hrs out of a plasma ain't happenin" was certainly true, since the older models installed years ago (that have now failed) are the ones that these dealers/installers are talking about. However, only time will tell if the plasmas installed last year and this year are failing at the same rate. However, since every owners' manual for a DLP rear projection TV includes instructions for the USER to change the lamp, I would certainly expect that good modern LCD or plasma display would typically last longer (maybe even much longer) than a good DLP rear display, no matter what manufacturer you trust or distrust...

I was referring to LED rear projection tv's also. The new LED's are rated pretty much for the life of the set. And as far as the plasmas not lasting 60,000 hrs that was from a recent discussion. 60,000hrs translates into 8hrs a day 365 days a year for 20 years, i wouldn't expect that of any set. The regular DLP's though are bad on bulbs, and front projectors are only good for about half what the dlp rears are. I fully agree with you that LCD or Plasma is the way to go. We are a big gaming family though and thus shy away from plasma, not taking a chance with kids forgetting to turn it off. Even with proper break-in you can still burn-in a plasma. There's some great info on all over at www.avsforum.com

I ended up paying 2143.11 with tax and everything.... :D

How do I get the 10% cash back for using my card??? That would be sweet... :razz:

Did they match the lcdplasmas.com price without any extra charges like delivery,etc.? That would be great! I thought they only PM local B&M stores?

Enter your receipt info here and it should tell you if you qualify for any rebates:

https://www.web-rebates.com/sears/

Did they match the lcdplasmas.com price without any extra charges like delivery,etc.? That would be great! I thought they only PM local B&M stores?

Enter your receipt info here and it should tell you if you qualify for any rebates:

https://www.web-rebates.com/sears/

Yes they matched LCDplasmas.com price!!! I also brought beachcamera.com price with me so it was one or the other...lol... both were crazy low, and they did it after a little back and forth...lol ;)

Thanks for the rebates web site let me see if that will work!!! :D

Yes they matched LCDplasmas.com price!!! I also brought beachcamera.com price with me so it was one or the other...lol... both were crazy low, and they did it after a little back and forth...lol ;)

Thanks for the rebates web site let me see if that will work!!! :D

What exactly did the "back and forth" involve? I am just wondering ig I should try this at my store.

What exactly did the "back and forth" involve? I am just wondering ig I should try this at my store.

First I went in there looking at TV's and the sales guy asked me what size I was looking for... I told him LCD's 50+ he showed me the samsung and then I stated to ask about there price match and he said any competitors ad. I was like ok... then I asked a couple more questions about the TV, and then pulled out the ad and said I'll take it...LOL

He then was like WOW, and called over the mrg. He gave me the me a hard time stating that it was below there cost... blah blah blah and I kept saying that there policy is competitors ad. Then I asked him whats the lowest he can go on that TV, and I was like its going to go on sale blackfriday, or superbowl sunday. Then I asked him whats the lowest he can give it to me for... he said 2300 so I took it then I got the 10% and the 250.

I say try it you have nothing to lose but a great TV for a low price!!

Good Luck let me know what happens!! :)

Why not get the Polaroid 42" 1080p LCD from Wal-Mart for 798? and get a 6 foot HDMI cable for $15.

The ploaroid has a horrible brightness and contrast ratio its not worth the 600 let alone 798 its only 500 brightness and a 800to1 contrast ratio for a 42 " screen and thats horrible the picture might be able to produce 1080p but it looks grey and bleek at best. Go to walmart they have it on display now its not that good but beauty is in the eye of the beholder, for 800 dollars i rather save another 200 and get some thing with at least 1500 to1 contrast and 800 brightness.

exactly - that polaroid is bad news ... low quality simply put. don't be suckered in just because it says 1080p for a low price. Whatever HDTV you're looking for, be SURE to check out the contrast ratio as well as resolution. Actually I believe it was cnet.com or another review site that states contrast is MORE important than resolution. This makes sense if you think about it ... having a res 5x better than a comparable model doesn't help if you can't tell the difference between dark blacks/greys/whites etc.

exactly - that polaroid is bad news ... low quality simply put. don't be suckered in just because it says 1080p for a low price. Whatever HDTV you're looking for, be SURE to check out the contrast ratio as well as resolution. Actually I believe it was cnet.com or another review site that states contrast is MORE important than resolution. This makes sense if you think about it ... having a res 10x better than a comparable model doesn't help if you can't tell the difference between dark blacks/greys/whites etc. Simple matter of quality of quantity.

I posted this above a few times - i didnt realize when you post a reply is goes to a main page, so i was trying to respond to a few individuals and ended up posting the whole msg board. Anyway, Sears has the best deal I've seen in months on the Panasonic TH42PZ77U 42" plasma 1080p, 10,000:1 contrast for 1199.00. Can anyone find a better deal on this quality tv??? I think I also mentioned this is not a BF sale - it is only good through the 17th.

Target 37" Olevia $549

I asked my local target last week if they would price adjust for the 2 day ad, they said no. I had read earlier that others had heard from corporate they would, so I wrote to Target Corporate and they responded they do price adjust on the 2-day. I went to my local Target today, double checked with the manager (who could not believe it) and he assured me since "corporate says" he would do the price match.

I picked up my Olevia 37" today (clerk said there were only 4 in the back) so I will avoid the pre-dawn lines next Friday, and later on next Friday I will get my price adjustment!

If this TV is on your shopping list you may want to do this also.

for you wii you dont need any cables.. wii is not HD like playstation 3 or xbox360. you just use the right,white, and yellow jack cables that come with it.

you can aslo get a set of componet video cables which make the wii a little sharper

Thanks guys looks like Im off to radio shack to look for these cables.... :tongue1:

I never hooked up a LCD TV before....this should be fun LoL :eyepoppin