>>> Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

DLP's are usually several hundred dollars less than Plasma/LCD. Yes, a couple years down the road, more like 3-5, you will replace a bulb for a couple hundred dollars and your picture will be like the day you bought it. The same can not be said for LCD/Plasma. They all have great pictures nowadays, its up to you according to how much you want to spend, and if you want it on a wall, etc. Lots of variables, I always tell people to look in consumer reports from this month, it covers all the variables and then you can decide for yourself.

I'm interested in purchasing a 40" or 42" LCD on Black Friday. I know for a fact that I want either a Samsung or a Sony. (I have a 32" Samsung in the bedroom that I love).

Right now I'm leaning towards the 40" Sony LCD that Sears is advertising for $1399 ($1999-instant 600 off). Is it worth the money? If not I will just wait until Superbowl time and hope for a good deal.

Everyone is talking about the Sharp so it makes me wonder if the Sony is not a good buy for the money???

Thanks

~Dee

I personally have a Samsung and love it. Along with Samsung I prefer Sony, LG, and Westinghouse. Right now BestBuy has a 42" Westinghouse 1080p might I add for 989.99.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=83862....

Hello everybody,

I was just reading through the thread and drew some conclusions, please correct me if I'm wrong

1) 1080p may not be worth over 720p for tv or regular dvd

2) plasma seems to have some advantage over lcd in that it has blacker blacks (more contrast), however, they are about $200 more expensive for the same size

I also have a couple other questions for which I couldn't find answers, again, help welcome

1) how does dlp image quality compare to lcd and plasma? I do not care about wall mounting, so if image is similar, I'd buy a bigger screen for less money this way.

2) Brand and model matter, of course, but how does this relate to the price? I've been surfing a couple of review websites but some models have not been reviewed and some others don't even exist!

I guess the 64K question for me is which is the best hdtv 40-50" for $700-1000?

I see lots of people being helpful and sharing ideas, that's why I decided to ask. Thanks so much in advance.

Martin

Check out the 50" Hitachi at hhgregg for 999.20 or the 42" Olevia at Office Depot for 699.99. These would meet your needs just fine.

stay away from DLP as lamps can be costly and I read somewhere that they last only a couple of years. and when a 60' dlp cost you 1500 bucks 50' plasma (720p) will cost same.think about those 300 dollars for each lamp every two years.

I wouldn't be so absolute with this. DLP's have some nice advantages (great contrast (but in specific situations), high pixel density + optical projection means that compression artifacts of HD signals are less noticeable, significantly lighter esp at larger sizes than LCD and esp vs plasma). The frequency of lamp replacements depends entirely on how much the tv is used and at what brightness levels. At least if your DLP starts going dim, you can spend $300 bucks and replace the bulb. If you LCD starts going dim, you have a very hefty bill (or a very tricky DIY job) to replace the backlights. If your plasma starts going dim, well, cry in silence as your credit card prepares for a new unit.

Once again, go out and look at those sets. That is the only way to know if you're getting the deal that you want. If you care about getting the biggest screen for your money and play video games and watch hockey and auto racing, a DLP is probably your hot ticket. DLP is not for everyone, esp if space is an issue or you simply must have a true flat panel, but it shouldn't be ruled out because of some FUD about bulbs.

BTW, I personally think that in many situations, the absolute best deal around is front projectors (Sony LCD or others DLP). It's small (flat panel footprint is nice, having a 10 lb unit that you can simply put away is awesome). It's cheap (well ok, flat panel prices are finally getting low enough to make this not as much of an advantage anymore). Depending on wall space, you can have images past 100' in diameter. Heck, even with our LCD, we still watch movies on our ancient 800x600 (which is perfect for native DVD resolution) LCD projector that cost me <$300 four years ago (my living room allows for a max 88" diameter image). When the bulb finally wears out, I'll just buy another used projector, it's awesome. However, it's awesomeness is directly tied to how we use it (primarily for movies and "special" sporting events, and primarily at night), so it's not perfect for everyone (or even the majority of everyones).

Check out the 50" Hitachi at hhgregg for 999.20 or the 42" Olevia at Office Depot for 699.99. These would meet your needs just fine.

but you might be pissed to find out the olevia from office depot is the crappiest LCD you can ever find. its the only flat panel that does not have a tuner. already checked it out and its not worth my time.

what interests me is the sharp aquos 42" lcd at CC, or the 42" HP at BB...seems like CC is the better buy. im gonna go check both TV's out before i buy. also i think sears tries to trick people with the 50 or 52 inch LCD for like 1200 or 1000. but its projection.. doh!

does anyone know much about the 42" aquos at CC?

To each his own...

Ok guys I have been doing so much work on TV I gave myself a headache...lol

I think that this website www.crutchfield.com gives the best reviews and I think I'm going to wait.. after reading the reviews on the Sharp I'm going to pass...:no:

Check out www.avsforum.com for the lowdown on the sharp before you completely blow it off.

but you might be pissed to find out the olevia from office depot is the crappiest LCD you can ever find. its the only flat panel that does not have a tuner. already checked it out and its not worth my time.

what interests me is the sharp aquos 42" lcd at CC, or the 42" HP at BB...seems like CC is the better buy. im gonna go check both TV's out before i buy. also i think sears tries to trick people with the 50 or 52 inch LCD for like 1200 or 1000. but its projection.. doh!

Or you can say that it's the only LCD that you're not paying extra for a tuner that you'll never use. Both my DirecTV and Dish sat receivers have ATSC tuners built in, if my TV had a tuner, it'd just go to waste. Now there might be other reasons for why you may consider them "the crappiest LCD you can ever find", but I'm personally tickled pink with mine (and yes, mine does not have a tuner and I never miss it).

Ok here is a list of the Tv's I am looking at and here is the breakdown for the best bang for the buck

Size Manufacturer Model # BF Price + Tax Online Price Online Diff Total

46" Sharp LC46D64U $1,402.92 $1,710.00 $307.08

42" Panasonic TH42PX75U $1,078.92 $1,050.00 ($28.92)

42" Sharp LC42D43U $862.92 $1,185.00 $322.08

42" Panasonic TH-42PZ77U $970.92 $1,340.00 $369.08

42" LG 42PC5D $970.92 $979.00 $8.08

37" LG 37LC7D $970.92 $868.00 ($102.92)

46" Sharp LC46D43U $1,078.92 $1,489.00 $410.08

As you can see the best deal is the Sharp LC46D43U :)

Ok here is a list of the Tv's I am looking at and here is the breakdown for the best bang for the buck

Size Manufacturer Model # BF Price + Tax Online Price Online Diff Total

46" Sharp LC46D64U $1,402.92 $1,710.00 $307.08

42" Panasonic TH42PX75U $1,078.92 $1,050.00 ($28.92)

42" Sharp LC42D43U $862.92 $1,185.00 $322.08

42" Panasonic TH-42PZ77U $970.92 $1,340.00 $369.08

42" LG 42PC5D $970.92 $979.00 $8.08

37" LG 37LC7D $970.92 $868.00 ($102.92)

46" Sharp LC46D43U $1,078.92 $1,489.00 $410.08

As you can see the best deal is the Sharp LC46D43U :)

Where is the Panasonic TH-42PZ77U? Someone made an off-handed comment about Sears but I don't see it in their ad, or anyone else's so far for that matter.

PS- Don't expect any good quality TV deals from Walmart. Looks like they will be having a good $30 upconverting DVD player though.

Where is the Panasonic TH-42PZ77U? Someone made an off-handed comment about Sears but I don't see it in their ad, or anyone else's so far for that matter.

PS- Don't expect any good quality TV deals from Walmart. Looks like they will be having a good $30 upconverting DVD player though.

Best Buy

Best Buy

?? It's not listed in the Best Buy section, or in the scanned ad. They have a TH-42PE7U which I can only assume is a typo or scan error, maybe a 42PE77U? but it's not the 42PZ*** unless I'm missing something?

If the 42PZ77U is actually that price then I have a tough decision to make now =/

I saw a post somewhere from a BB employee that it is not the PZ77U, but a model being brought in for BF. It was recently posted on the BB website as not available, but I don't see it now... Here is what someone posted on another forum as to what the differences between the one in the BF ad and the PZ75U (one step down from the PZ77U you're mentioning)...

The TH-42PE7U is on bestbuy.com today (coming soon). Compared to the TH-42PX75U:

no media card slot

no digital convergence (TH-42PZ77U and TH-42PZ700U have)

4 audio outputs? vs. 1

8 watts/channel vs 10

no video output (useful for recording OTA HDTV?)

1 year limited warranty (w/o 2 years: glass panel)

We actually got the 77U yesterday at Sears (which is better than both of these) for 1040.00 ... it was on sale for 1199 and you got $150.00 off 42 - 49" TV''s with a Sears card. It has all the afore mentioned differences plus the one in the BB ad is a 720p, this is a 1080p. There's always a better deal somewhere but for 150.00 bucks getting all these differences and not waiting in line was worth it to me. Anyone looking at the Sears ads until the 17th you get 50.00 off 41" or smaller TV's, 150.00 off 42-49 and 250.00 off 50 or bigger with a Sears Card. I didn't have one and applied for one and used the discount right then and there. I had seen in some forums this was a mail in rebate but they applied the discount to the card immediately. Also the guy said if the TV Shows up somewhere on BF or anywhere else for a better price in the next 60 days you get the pricematch plus a 10% difference.. it was worth it to me.

I wouldn't be so absolute with this. DLP's have some nice advantages (great contrast (but in specific situations), high pixel density + optical projection means that compression artifacts of HD signals are less noticeable, significantly lighter esp at larger sizes than LCD and esp vs plasma). The frequency of lamp replacements depends entirely on how much the tv is used and at what brightness levels. At least if your DLP starts going dim, you can spend $300 bucks and replace the bulb. If you LCD starts going dim, you have a very hefty bill (or a very tricky DIY job) to replace the backlights. If your plasma starts going dim, well, cry in silence as your credit card prepares for a new unit.

Once again, go out and look at those sets. That is the only way to know if you're getting the deal that you want. If you care about getting the biggest screen for your money and play video games and watch hockey and auto racing, a DLP is probably your hot ticket. DLP is not for everyone, esp if space is an issue or you simply must have a true flat panel, but it shouldn't be ruled out because of some FUD about bulbs.

BTW, I personally think that in many situations, the absolute best deal around is front projectors (Sony LCD or others DLP). It's small (flat panel footprint is nice, having a 10 lb unit that you can simply put away is awesome). It's cheap (well ok, flat panel prices are finally getting low enough to make this not as much of an advantage anymore). Depending on wall space, you can have images past 100' in diameter. Heck, even with our LCD, we still watch movies on our ancient 800x600 (which is perfect for native DVD resolution) LCD projector that cost me <$300 four years ago (my living room allows for a max 88" diameter image). When the bulb finally wears out, I'll just buy another used projector, it's awesome. However, it's awesomeness is directly tied to how we use it (primarily for movies and "special" sporting events, and primarily at night), so it's not perfect for everyone (or even the majority of everyones).

I went out to look at the Samsung 50 " Slim DLP and I was VERY disappointed at the floor model. The screen was very dark, and I'm guessing this happens quicker than on LCDs.

Yes, and they are NOT true flat panels, a bit of a bulge in the back.

Thanks, I didn't realize it didn't have a tuner. WTF? Might wanna check out the Polaroid at WM for 798.00 its 42 and 1080p.

I went out to look at the Samsung 50 " Slim DLP and I was VERY disappointed at the floor model. The screen was very dark, and I'm guessing this happens quicker than on LCDs.

Yes, and they are NOT true flat panels, a bit of a bulge in the back.

Well, unless that unit has been sitting on the floor for years I'd think that the fact that it is dark is probably indicative of nothing but that fact that the margins on those tv's aren't as good as some of the equiv sized lcds/plasmas. Either that or someone was mucking about with the controls.

You did play around with the adjustments didn't you? After all, you wouldn't purchase a car based purely on the dealer driving you around right? So don't be afraid to try tweaking the picture yourself. You should do this with any set, after all, for many you're talking about dropping 4 figures on one of these bad boys, so explore and be sure you're happy with the thing. Like I've mentioned previously, it's not uncommon for tv's on the showroom floor to have their brightness jacked up much higher than you would at home, so unless you want to be replacing your tv every few years, you probably want to turn the brightness down to about 50% (probably no greater than 60%) to see what it looks like. Hopefully this problem will go away (or be greatly diminished) once LED backlights become the norm.

BTW, no one claimed that they were "true flat panels", they are rear projectors, and as such will likely always be thicker than their plat panel brethren.

The list is practically complete. If you want a list in Excel format of all the tv's available for BF PM me your email address. This list includes Wal-Mart, Target, Staples, Sears, Radio Shack, Office Depot, meijer, KMart, hhgregg, Costco.com, CompUSA, Circuit City, Best Buy and AAFES. Makes for easy comparison.

(Forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, but I didn't see it in this thread). While it is certainly true that you can replace the lamp in a DLP rear projection television or LCD/DLP projector for $300 or so and "get the brightness back" so to speak, projector lamps only have a half life of between 1000 hours and 8000 hours, while the half life of a modern plasma television (such as a Panasonic) is about 60000 hours! While it's true that a plasma display will eventually fail and have to be junked if it is used for many hours, you'd have to buy about 7 to 8 $300 lamps for a projector to match the rated life of a plasma. All in all, plasmas and LCDs are a better deal in my book....

What item are you referring to on that site?

All I have to say is that I just came back from sears with my SAMSUNG LNT5265F LCD :D

I printed out the TV from a web site (see below) and they priced matched it!!! :eek:

I then saved an extra $250 with there card!!

If you are looking for a GREAT TV for a GREAT price print it out and head over to sears!!

No waiting out in the cold, No lines, and no worries!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

www.lcdplasmadeals.com

All I have to say is that I just came back from sears with my SAMSUNG LNT5265F LCD :D

I printed out the TV from a web site (see below) and they priced matched it!!! :eek:

If you are looking for a GREAT TV for a GREAT price print it out and head over to sears!!

www.lcdplasmadeals.com

Cool, which one did you get?

www.lcdplasmadeals.com

Can you tell us what you ended up paying? Was Sears PMing online prices w/ shipping?

I think you might be able to claim the 10% cash back for using the Sears card.

Sears has Panasonic 42" 1080p plasma for 1199.00 that is good through the 17th. You can also save 150 on top of that if you use a Sears card or finance for 18 months interest free (it's either use your card or sign up for one). The lady also told me she would match any black friday price with their 110% 30 day price match guarantee ... I have been searching for months for this quality tv at this price, you won't find a better deal ... (with a slighty possibility on bf)