>>> Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Check it out on Cnet.com

Cnet is not the authoritive review site like it used to be just a few years ago.

I agree with what a couple of others have said in that you have to get out and do side by side comparisons in person. From my own experience, I've seen some of these off brand sets look far superior to certain models of the first line brands given the same screen size, and then vice versa.

Cnet is not the authoritive review site like it used to be just a few years ago.

I agree with what a couple of others have said in that you have to get out and do side by side comparisons in person. From my own experience, I've seen some of these off brand sets look far superior to certain models of the first line brands given the same screen size, and then vice versa.

Thanks for the update.... I still dont know whats the best LCD for sale....

Can anyone help me out??? I'm looking for a 37, 46, or bigger LCD. I dont buy a TV everyday, and i know you get what you pay for but these sales have me all messed up!!!

Any help you can give would be GREAT!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... :cheesy::eyepoppin

What model is the Samsung 50" DLP TV from Circuit City?

Also from Circuit city, what model is the Sharp Aquos 46"? Is it the LC46D62U?

Hmm, if thats the Sharp that is for sale, I will be going to CC instead of BB for the 47inch Westy.

Or the 56inch Panasonic from Sears looks good...

Check it out on Cnet.com

What about cnet.com? I know where to look for reviews (though I almost never go to cnet) ,but even on cnet, the Olevia is rated pretty highly amongst users (no cnet review of it or the other Olevia 37" LCD's). Again, if you want to pay top dollar, go for it. I prefer to make my money "work smarter, not harder". I challenge anyone to come to my house, look at the 1080i OTA signal, and not be blown away. Sure you might be able to find nits when you do a side by side comparison against some of the "other" tv's, but I'm not willing to play the "diminishing returns" game.

So far no deals on a good quality Plasma, yeah sure $900.00-$1000.00 for the Panasonic 42 inch is okay, but you can do almost as good on Amazon. Show me $700.00-800.00 and I'll stand outside in the cold at 4 Am. I'll be sleeping in this BF.

Whats the best 32"-40" brand/price of LCD TV out there in the ads right now? Sears seems like the best pricing right now though

32" Circuit City Element for 399.99

37" Target Olevia 549.00

40" Sears Samsung 1199.99

32" Geeks.com Westinghouse 399.99

Currently out of Stock - But offer is available until 11/15/07.

http://www.geeks.com/pix/2007/LTVDEAL.html?AID=10439518&CJPID=1412508

Well, I pulled the trigger and did my TV buy early. I thought Sears had a very fair deal going with the combined "Ultimate Football" rebate promotion and the upcoming "Friends & Family" 5% off promotion. Problem is, I didn't want to put it on a Sears card.

So, I went to a local store with an excellent reputation and asked them to price match Sears. They did one better and not only beat the Sears' price, but also threw in a wall mount. So, I now have a stunning Panasonic TH-50PX75U and wall mount, out the door for $1251. And got an extra year added onto the warranty. Needless to say, this local merchant gets my next big purchase as well. :yup:

I think I did pretty well. Good luck to all of you in your search. Now, I await some good HD-DVD deals for the new Panny!

:2woot:

Guest mack222

32" Circuit City Element for 399.99

37" Target Olevia 549.00

40" Sears Samsung 1199.99

32" Geeks.com Westinghouse 399.99

Currently out of Stock - But offer is available until 11/15/07.

Kmart has an Olevia 32" for $419 in their BF ad. I would definitely go for that over a refurbed Westinghouse.

Whats the deal with the 50" Samsung ? Bad?

I dont want to spend more then $900 thats my budget, my husband would differ I am sure.

I dont want a 32" but I dont see any 37" either!

So i want the most bang for my buck but dont want a crappy tv either!

Whats the deal with the 50" Samsung ? Bad?

I dont want to spend more then $900 thats my budget, my husband would differ I am sure.

I dont want a 32" but I dont see any 37" either!

So i want the most bang for my buck but dont want a crappy tv either!

The 50" Samsung is a DLP projection tv w/ 720p which will not offer as great of amount of quality as the 42" Sylvania with 1080p. Pretty much its a bigger tv with lower quality which will mean it would look even worse than a 42" with 720p. Following me?

Here's some insight for those of you who may be interested in HDTV's - I bought that Olevia 32" last year from CC and ended up returning it. It was not good quality. Six months passed and I ended up going for a CC 32" Panasonic, which has been great. 2 HDMI's, Component, S-Video plus it picks up free HDTV local channels from Cable TV.

From my research and experience - Phillips is ok, but I've read about a lot of repairs to those. Samsung does not retain aspect ratio of 4:3 - which means that if you have standard non-HD cable (which most of you do) and adjust the picture to aspect ratio of 4:3 so the image looks a little better, it won't keep the setting. Samsungs are very weird that way. I've seen reviews of Vizio being really strong, but I was hesitant to buy a brand that hasn't been around long enough to know if it has a good reputation. I liked Sony, LG and Panasonic.

Another lesson learned - what you see in the store show rooms is a 1080-i broadcast. From what I understand, 1080-i is very very high quality. When you plug your tv in at home don't expect it to look like that. Regular standard cable or even satellite tv signals don't always look great on these big, bright HDTV's. I pick up free HD local channels - NBC, FOX, etc and those look great. Standard cable channels, even digital standard cable, are not going to look wonderful, but acceptable.

Anyways - for this year, I'd suggest most of you go with the name brands you know and trust - the CC Sony 32", CC Panasonic 42", BB Panasonic 42". Polariod's, Westinghouse's, etc. might buy you a couple years, but you'll wish you had spent a little more. Especially if you play video games and DVD's.

just my 2 cents agree with above post Panasonic makes a great Plasma, if your going to spend a couple hundred dollars, I'd stick with a Panasonic or Pioneer (although they are pretty pricey). In any case disappointed that the deals just aren't blowing me away.

I was on the Sears website just now...... They have a Vizio 37" for $799. With the $150 rebate it will bring it down to roughly $649.99. Several reviews on the site and it rate 4.8 stars out of 5. Is this a good deal. It seems so. Im just trying to find one so I don't have to go out to the stores for a tv on BF!

Its in stock at my Sears per online check.... WIth friends and family night would I get an additional 5% off? Thanks for any insite.

That's a reasonable price if you do not want to get out on BF. Personally if I'm spending money on a TV I would not get anything smaller than a 42". There's a Sharp 42" at CC going for $799.99 that is very likely to be the 1080p $1599.99 model they carry (but that is not confirmed) as the Sylvania is stated in the ad.

Its all up to what you are willing to do.

sears friends and family is soon saw a post about this not too long ago and I think this would be best deal on a tv. BF isn't worth the wait and from what I remember sears f?&f was almost as good as the bf sales. I will see if I can find a link

That's a reasonable price if you do not want to get out on BF. Personally if I'm spending money on a TV I would not get anything smaller than a 42". There's a Sharp 42" at CC going for $799.99 that is very likely to be the 1080p $1599.99 model they carry (but that is not confirmed) as the Sylvania is stated in the ad.

Its all up to what you are willing to do.

I think this is the cc BF sharp it is 720p

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sharp-42-AQUOS-LCD-HDTV-LC-42D43U/sem/rpsm/oid/188298/catOid/-12867/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

we are eyeballing the 65inch 1080P Mitsubish DLP at BB for $1499. We were already planning on getting direct TV HD when we move in December so that knocks another $300 off the price. I have a 10% off BB printable coupon I am hoping I can get them to let me use on it as well. Any thoughts on this TV? looks like a pretty nice deal with the additional $300 off from direct TV