>>> Official Black Friday TV / HDTV Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

If hes bying tv at BB their is a rewards coupon in the off line hot deal. You can print it out and take it up and they will still give the discount. If you don't have rewards fill out in store for free. The coupon has 10% or 12& discount, and good until tomorrow 11-12-07.

Flosmoney

The mitsubishi has much better ratings from all the TV rating sites including consumer reports I have looked at. We have decided to go with it. Hubby is out at BB looking at it now. I hope he brought a bib for all the drool :cheesy:

I looked at both and it seemed the Toshiba was better.

I also heard on the news that all old tvs would stop working once the new year started unless you bought an HDTV adapter box which will be sold for around $100....I have a very old school tv so if this is true I want to make a good investment and get w/ the times. lol :groovin::holiday16

It's NOT an HDTV adapter that will be needed....it's a digital tuner that you'll need. And supposedly the gov't will be giving around $60 vouchers to help offset the cost of the digital tuner. HDTV is NOT related to the digital broadcast standard that's coming into being in a year or so. Completely different as most broadcast stations are already broadcasting a HD signal along with their standard definition signal.

has anybody run across any 120 hz LCD TVs going on sale. I was at sears tonight about to buy that 46" samsung but then I saw the 120 hz version and I couldn't bring myself to buy the cheaper set; especially since most of what i watch moves at high speeds( sports & action movies). Any input on this matter would be appreciated.

ok guys I am a virgin poster here so here goes...

I am looking to pick up 2 32in LCDs this yr. So far it looks as if Kmart has the best price.... Any reviews on the olevia Lcds or any help or info towards a better deal would be mucho appreciated!

I have two Olevias. I have no clue about 'specs' or what they mean....just that one is 27"

the other 32" for the bedroom. Have had no problems and the pictures are fine for what we

need them for, just general viewing. Got the 32" at Target online last yr and the other at a local elect. store.

angel-too just the person i need to talk to it sounds like. Im looking into purchasing the 32 inch at KMart on thanksgiving day (its the same one they have at Target). Have you had any issues with sound? I've read a few reviews saying that people have. Also I read a couple reviews saying they had issues with using the hdmi input until they upgraded the firmware?

angel-too just the person i need to talk to it sounds like. Im looking into purchasing the 32 inch at KMart on thanksgiving day (its the same one they have at Target). Have you had any issues with sound? I've read a few reviews saying that people have. Also I read a couple reviews saying they had issues with using the hdmi input until they upgraded the firmware?

Oh boy...what are the hdmi inputs and what are they for?:blush: No sound issues though.

I did buy a Vizio 32" form walmart with major sound issues, will never touch that brand

again.

Oh boy...what are the hdmi inputs and what are they for?:blush: No sound issues though.

I did buy a Vizio 32" form walmart with major sound issues, will never touch that brand

again.

The hdmi inputs are for if you have another device (like a dvd player or digital cable box, or HD DVD player, or a gaming system) you want to connect and get a high def (or near high def depending on what of the above devices you are hooking up) picture. Seriously? I have the 32 inch Vizio in my bedroom and LOVE it.

Sorry...we have it hooked to digital cable. No probs at all. I got the vizio around $500 and

have tried every audio setting and it sounds like a radio. Maybe I should have returned it. Its also hooked up to digital cable box. So far I really like the Olevias.

Wow the KMart 32" for $419 looks like a good deal.

I have a question for the gurus out there! I've learned soo much about LCD/Digital tv's in the past couple of weeks just reading all the posts. We're looking at buying the Kmart Thanksgiving Day 32" Olevia LCD tv for $419.99. I believe that this tv doesn't have a digital tuner?

Now, my really "big" question! We don't have cable/satellite - just broadcast. Do we need to buy something extra to get HD signals with this tv? I'm guessing yes. If it is yes, then what?

Thank you!

Sorry...we have it hooked to digital cable. No probs at all. I got the vizio around $500 and

have tried every audio setting and it sounds like a radio. Maybe I should have returned it. Its also hooked up to digital cable box. So far I really like the Olevias.

Wow the KMart 32" for $419 looks like a good deal.

That's a bummer, I'd call Vizio. You've at least got a 1 year warranty.

It's NOT an HDTV adapter that will be needed....it's a digital tuner that you'll need. And supposedly the gov't will be giving around $60 vouchers to help offset the cost of the digital tuner. HDTV is NOT related to the digital broadcast standard that's coming into being in a year or so. Completely different as most broadcast stations are already broadcasting a HD signal along with their standard definition signal.

It depends on whether you use a box from the cable/sat co. If you have a box, then none of this is a big deal. The only thing you will want to do is to call your provider and ask them to get you a box that has full HD output.

None of that should cost you a nickel, unless your provider packages the HD channels separately.

The folks who really, really have to worry are folks with antennas. If you have an old analog-only TV, it will absolutely need a converter box to still be useful after Feb 2009.

Also, folks who are plugging their TV directly into their cable system may have issues. The FCC plans to force the cables cos to provide analog through cable until 2011. However, if you buy an HDTV, this means you will not have an HD source for any of your stuff (which rather defeats the purpose of buying an HDTV).

Remember, true HD requires an HD source (over-the-air ATSC, cable/sat HD package, HD-DVD) and an HD output device.

Also, be wary that a lot of the cheaper TVs being sold as "digital" are not full HD output. Anything marked SDTV or EDTV is inferior. Even a 720p system will not give you the best picture for 1080i and 1080p.

And the vouchers are for $40 for two set-top boxes, the majority of which will only convert digital over-the-air broadcasts to usable analog. Boxes that support QAM (used by many cable systems) will likely cost more.

I have a question for the gurus out there! I've learned soo much about LCD/Digital tv's in the past couple of weeks just reading all the posts. We're looking at buying the Kmart Thanksgiving Day 32" Olevia LCD tv for $419.99. I believe that this tv doesn't have a digital tuner?

It will have a digital tuner. However, if you want to be sure, check the box and look for where it says "ATSC". That is what you actually need to receive broadcast TV in HD.

Now, my really "big" question! We don't have cable/satellite - just broadcast. Do we need to buy something extra to get HD signals with this tv? I'm guessing yes. If it is yes, then what?

By something extra, do you mean a special antenna? No. Digital is being carried on the same VHF and UHF channels that analog is carried on.

The only word of warning is that a lot of the new HDTV channels are in the UHF band. If you have trouble receiving UHF channels with your current antenna, then you will need to look for a different antenna that is better with UHF.

I'd see if your current antenna works well before buying anything new.

If you really need expert advice with the antenna issue, take a look over at the AVS Forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=25 in the HDTV reception hardware section. Some of the guys there are pretty hardcore, but they will dumb it down for you if you ask them. They're all great guys about newbies, and love to help anyone who wants to join their pack.

A bit on a tangent, one guy told me these HDTV needto have powerful surge protectors (rather than the standard ones), one rated with at least 3000 Joules (whatever that means). I have no clue but the strip he showed me was $99. Anyone know if that's true?

Any good deals?

A bit on a tangent, one guy told me these HDTV needto have powerful surge protectors (rather than the standard ones), one rated with at least 3000 Joules (whatever that means). I have no clue but the strip he showed me was $99. Anyone know if that's true?

Any good deals?

Not sure how many Joules (a measurement of energy) the surge protector needs to be rated at. Personally I have had a Samsung 42" Plasma on a regular surge protector I got at CVS for 50 cents on clearance for over a year now. I also have a wii and 360 plugged into the same one. No issues. Surge protector is designed to protect from lightning, I say as long as you have one and it doesn't trip itself then don't worry about it. Worse case scenario is that that it will switch itself off. If that continuosly happens then get a better one.

Ok guys that have done there homework.....

The Sharp 46 in. LCD HDTV, AQUOS thats on sale at Sears for $999.99. Is it 1080p????

Because the Sharp Aquos 46' 1080p is on sale at Circuit City for $1299.99.

Is it the same one???????????????????? :razz::eyepoppin

i looked up the model numbers

the sears is 720p, circuit city is 1080p

i'm looking at the circuit city one , think i'll have to camp out? it's not a doorbuster

Thank you!

Look up the model # on the Olevia website as some of their models have tuners, others do not. If you don't have cable/sat, then you will likely want to purchase a model that does, unless you're getting such a good deal that you can factor in the cost of an OTA receiver (price varies drastically depending on new/used, etc, etc. Figure around $100 ballpark. A hint, many sat boxes can pull in OTA signals and will work even without a sat dish or card. You can often find a good deal on these, esp since many people are ditching the mpeg2 based HD DirecTV boxes to move up to the mpeg4 based models (this won't affect the OTA stuff)).