GottaDEAL 2022 Black Friday Prize Club Thread

Brad

Kmart down to its last 4 stores in the US | Springfield Business Journal (sbj.net)

With two stores slated to close, Kmart will be down to its last four locations open in the United States, according to a report by The Philadelphia Inquirer.

Two are located in New Jersey, with one apiece in Long Island and Miami.

At its peak, Kmart had 2,400 stores and 350,000 employees in the United States and Canada.

Kmart Group reported revenues were down 63.4% from $478 million to $178 million, and revenues fell 9.6% to $4.9 billion. (AAP)

“The combined revenue of Kmart and Target fell 55.8% during the halving to $222 million, reflecting the significant impact of the government-ordered store closures, resulting in a loss of nearly 25% of store trading days during the halving and higher returns. Reduced costs and reduced inventory availability due to domestic supply chain disruptions,” said Scott.

I want to know how you have a revenue of $4.9 billion with 4 stores. Seems off to me. I hate that Kmart took themselves and Sears out. Both could have been saved with intelligent spending, store updating and better inventory.

I may be reading this wrong, but by putting Kmart and Target in the same sentence regarding the percentage drop, is the article saying they are linked at the corporate level somehow? If so, maybe Target is what accounts for the revenue of $4.9 billion?

Interesting and unclear to me even after reading a few articles.  It seems a lot of companies are buying bits and pieces of Kmart, but that Wesfarmers owns the company.  It's also unclear to me if the Aussie Target and the US Target are the same company.

Mr Scott said the company planned to absorb price rises where it can, saying passing on hikes would be a “last resort”. It also plans to roll out new, cheaper product ranges, particularly for Kmart and Target, to provide a “good range of products at the value end”.

His comments came after Wesfarmers said net profit had fallen 14.2 per cent to $1.21 billion in the six months to the end of December, largely due to a huge slide in profits at its Kmart, Target and Officeworks chains. Revenue overall stayed flat, slipping by just 0.1 per cent to $17.7 billion.

Shares in the company slumped almost 7.5 per cent to $50.81, hitting their lowest price in over six months.

Kmart and Target’s profits slumped 63.4 per cent to $178 million as both retail chains were heavily impacted by supply chain shortages and store closures during the COVID lockdowns earlier in the half.

Who Owns Target In Usa?

Australia has 300 Targets owned by Wesfarmers Limited, which was founded in 1926 by Australian conglomerate Wesfarmers Limited. As for the Target Corporation, the company owns the stores that bears the same name in America.

Is Kmart And Target Owned By The Same Company?

The decision was made by Wesfarmers, which also owns Kmart and Target, as a way to improve their commercial viability.

Is Kmart And Target The Same Company?

Approximately 50,000 Kmart team members work at over 462 Kmart stores across Australia and New Zealand that belong to The Kmart Group.

Who Currently Owns Target?

Conclusion. Although Walmart has bought a number of Target stores, many of which have become walmart franchisees, Target still holds a 49% stake in the company. Target opened the first store as a discount outlet in 1962, not as a department store like Dayton’s, which it acquired in 1978.

Who Owns Target Now?

Walmart will no longer own Target by 2022, at the latest. Since 2000, Target Corporation has owned the company, which used to be known as Dayton-Hudson Corporation. Its primary focus remains 1900 discount and mass merchandise retail stores in all 50 states under this name (which is very popular now). states. this is? Do you know it??

Edited by len_mullen

Two ice storms in 3 weeks down here. I’m over it. Come on Spring!

Yuck!!

I'm ready for spring too! It hasn't been too bad of a winter here, but it sure has been wet! We're in a new house this year, so I'm excited to see what plants and flowers come up. And I have a couple things r4ady to plant. And while we are starting to see 70s pretty regularly already... March is when GA seems to have some of its best snowstorms and cold, so I'm holding off a little longer.

Edited by bluebear
  • Like 1

Yuck!!

I'm ready for spring too! It hasn't been too bad of a winter here, but it sure has been wet! We're in a new house this year, so I'm excited to see what plants and flowers come up. And I have a couple things r4ady to plant. And while we are starting to see 70s pretty regularly already... March is when GA seems to have some of its best snowstorms and cold, so I'm holding off a little longer.

Yep, our snow/ice storms are almost always in February. 

• Like 2

It's been more than two months since I unpacked my $475 75" Toshiba C350 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV (75C350KU).  The TV is $890 at Best Buy this week and no longer available at Amazon. 

I still have not seen one on display.  rtings.com's reviews of this model continue to be pure speculation as they have not tested one to date.

192 Best Buy consumers rate the set at 4.7.  Three 'expert reviews' on the BB site rate it at 3.0, but they are not reviewing the same television.

I give it five stars.

Most of the televisions in my home are 55" 4K UHD TCL Roku TVs.  All of the televisions in my home have a 4K FireTV Stick in an HDMI port.  Except this one.  This is my first FireTV.  Naturally, it has a Roku plugged into an HDMI port.  It also has two TiVo Roamio OTA DVRs attached.  And a PC.  Inasmuch as I mostly enjoy broadcast TV, a TiVo is the most common interface on this television.  I have the TV configured to power on to the 'last used' input so there is no need to navigate from the FireTV to the TiVo.  When I want to watch an app on the Roku, I simply pick up the Roku remote and press a button.  There is a button for Live TV on the Toshiba remote and tapping that button takes me to the FireTV Live Guide.   All the remotes control power and sound on the television, so single remote operation requirement is met.

I do not use any of the apps on the TiVo.  At one time, a TiVo was the only device attached to my TVs.  As the boxes have aged and TiVo has failed to update the apps, performance has fallen off.  When I can't find something to watch on the TiVo, I switch to either the FireTV or the Roku.  I use Amazon's Live TV on some televisions in my house since it integrates OTA (if you have a Recast or a Sling TV DVR) and OTT into a single guide.  No need for an antenna connection at these sets, BUT, when I have an antenna connection nearby, I prefer a TiVo and a Roku.   

Still waiting for someone to post recommended picture settings, but I am happy with the picture quality, coloring, and scaling of this set out of the box.  I'm not examining pixels with a magnifying glass and my 60 year old eyes may be less discriminating than some, but the tv looks great to me.  Viewing angles are wide.  The TV even handles re-scaling the Recast's 720p stream well.  While sound levels vary among inputs and even some apps, I am very happy with the sound quality.

I would buy this television again at $475 but given a choice between a similarly priced and spec'd TCL Roku television and this one, I would get the Roku TV.  Here's why...

Unique Features for Cord Cutters (I believe these are available on their Android sets as well)...

1. PSIP Grid Style Electronic Program Guide: The TCL Roku TVs build the guide using data streamed in the RF TV signal.  No need for a service or even an Internet Service Provider.
  2. Live TV Pause: When an antenna is connected to your Roku TV, you can pause and playback broadcast TV for up to 90 minutes.

Unique Apps

1. F2V TV: Free to View TV is an app that streams broadcast TV from free, legal and official online places. All streams can be found publicly, nothing unofficial or bootlegged.
  2. PlayOn/PlayLater: PlayOn Desktop is the only OTT DVR for Roku. Record from over 100 popular sites including Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO and Amazon. Cast or stream your recordings to your Roku; automatically skip the ads.

Great Service

• When one of my TCL Roku 55" 4K UHD sets crapped out under warranty -- just under warranty -- TCL sent a guy to my home to fix the set in my living room.

The fact is that I do not expect to use my C350's FireTV GUI at all once I drop Prime on the 7th.

Just the same, I highly recommend this television...at $475 ;-)

New Year, New Television.  I think that's how it's done.  Last year, we all got those $148 55" TCL Roku 4K HDR sets.  I have one of these in every bedroom.  I didn't plan on buying a television this year.  I was keeping an eye on the TCL 8 Series QLED TV -- hoping for a <$1000 deal -- but it never happened.  I haven't seen it for less than $1400 to date.

Somehow, I got through BF without buying a television.  The only thing I bought on Black Friday was heating oil.  And it wasn't on sale.  
On December 18th, looking for a deal on a smaller TV for a friend, I stumbled across a discussion of the 75" Toshiba C350 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Fire TV (75C350KU).  

I was very impressed with the packaging.  The box comes in two pieces -- a short base and a tall 'cover' held together with four plastic clips which can be reused if the set is returned.  The set was held firmly in the middle of the box by Styrofoam packaging with an air filled 'pillow' and cardboard protection between the screen and the box.  Hard plastic strips protected the screen from careless handholds.  A plastic sheet that covered the screen was easily removed without leaving any kind of residue.

Out of the box, no dead pixels, no physical damage, and nothing missing.  Good start.
I attached the stand, plugged in power, and powered on the set.  Once I logged in to Amazon, I could access my antenna via an Amazon Recast -- wirelessly.  Upscaling on this set is outstanding.  SD looks great.  From the westerns of the 50s and 60s to the dramas of the 80s and 90s to modern HD programming, everything is clear and properly sized/scaled.

Then I plugged the TV into my antenna.  The picture quality was better than through the Recast.  UI was still Fire TV.  For television, I can choose a grid style guide that integrates antenna and streaming.  Top of the screen is a description of the selected show.  I like that.  So, I plugged in a TiVo.  The TiVo autoscales to 1080p.  It looks almost as good as the antenna.  Good enough for me to choose the TiVo input over the antenna input...sometimes.  Last night, I was hopping among inputs watching a New Year's Celebration and the 1080i programming looked great via the Recast, the TiVo, and straight from the antenna.  That said, I am watching the antenna.

Audio is very good.  There are two 10w speakers.  I'm not an audiophile, but they sound fine to me.
My desk is on the same wall as the television in my bedroom.  From my desk, the viewing angle is probably around 160 degrees.  The viewing angle of this television is excellent.

The remote resembles a Fire TV remote.  It is about half an inch longer.  There are four additional buttons for TV control -- channel up/down, guide, recents, and quick settings.  There are also four additional buttons for Prime, Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu.  The remote contains a mic and the TV is Alexa enabled.

There are four HDMI ports, one USB port, one LAN/Ethernet port, one digital audio out port, one RF input (antenna), one headphone out, and one AV input.  The USB 2.0 port.  Movies, music, and pictures can be played off the USB port.  The port powers drives that require up to 500mA.  I am using the port to power a Roku that requires 5V – 1A.

The TV has a Native refresh rate of 60Hz with a Motion Rate of 120Hz.  I did not experience motion blur watching basketball or football.  Hockey will be the test.

• Like 1

Helloooooo March!  Welcome welcome welcome!  I think we are finally done with ice and snow. I am so ready for winter to be done, even though I have a terrible head cold and don't want to be outside right now.  I know better days are coming!  

This month will mark 2 years of working from home for both DH and I. He has started re-transitioning back into the office one day a week, as some sort of pilot program.  I think they will make a longer term decision about their status sometime in July.  

It's 75° today, but since the front of my house gets no sun there's still ice on my sidewalk. And it's slightly melty ice, so it's slicker than snot! I just about bit the dust trying to get back inside earlier, LOL.  Then I poured hot water on it and hammered it with a broom to break it up - and broke the broom! Ah, well, it'll melt eventually. 

• Like 2