>>> Official Black Friday 2009 LAPTOP & NETBOOK Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Ok, another question. I just use AOL dial-up on my desktop. No broadband, high speed or anything like that. Would I need to upgrade that to be able to use a laptop wireless anywhere in my house?

Not an easy fix unless you know anything about computers.

I would recomend upgrading (once you do you will never go back). There are a few ways to do it without upgrading to dsl.

The easiest way is to go to your network settings, share your lan connection with other computers, hi-light both your lan and dialup connections, right click and select bridge conections, then plug a wireless router into the ethernet port on your desktop. It will be very slow (about 5 to 10 times slower than your current dial up speed) but whenever your computer is connected to the internet you could get on wirelessly with your laptop.

Private message me if you do this and have any questions (I probably won't be back to this thread). It may be a couple days before I answer as we are moving this weekend.

Good luck.

Ok, another question. I just use AOL dial-up on my desktop. No broadband, high speed or anything like that. Would I need to upgrade that to be able to use a laptop wireless anywhere in my house?

I think the easiest way to do this would be to get a wireless switch/router to connect your wireless laptop and your desktop and use remote desktop to remotely control your desktop from the laptop. Downside is that the desktop would not be available while you were using the laptop online.

If your dialup does not require a proprietary dialer software (call AOL tech support to find out if this is supported), you could use a wireless switch/router with dialup backup to share a dialup connection with all your PCs.

There are uncommon since wireless and dialup are not generally used in the same sentence, but here is one. Nice thing about this investment is that it will support a future broadband connection.

Honestly, you should investigate your broadband options since you are probably paying almost as much for dialup.

And to your answer question, all laptops can play web based games its ether flash or java based! for a kid I would get the 198.00 Lappy from Wally World!

Not true. The two Windows CE-based notebooks available on Black Friday cannot play flash or java games.

Yeah, I'll be switching to highspeed because its only 2 dollars more a month. I wont use the desktop anymore for the internet so there wont be any issues with them sharing.

You still will be able to use your desktop with a wireless router, just plug your desktop directly in to the wireless router with a ethernet cord, and of course your laptop will work threw wireless.

Not true. The two Windows CE-based notebooks available on Black Friday cannot play flash or java games.

And yes I said all laptops can play flash/java games and most netbooks. Those two Window CE based gloried Pda's are not real netbooks. Its a shame a major retailer will sell a CE based netbook to the uninformed masses. I expect a high return rate on these or craiglist selling these for 200 a pop to suckers.

All blackfriday LAPTOPS CAN play flash/java games.

Not all blackfriday NETBOOKS can play flash/java games.

If we're going to play the game of semantics, then it would be NOTEBOOKS not laptops. But that is silly.

The reason why I pointed it out was in the context of the comparison spreadsheet that was posted a few posts prior to smooth3d's claim. That spreadsheet includes those WinCE smartbooks. There is no differentiation in the spreadsheet between notebook, laptop, netbook, and smartbook. Someone examining the spreadsheet and hearing the claim that all notebooks support flash/java might incorrectly assume that those WinCE devices were included.

Do you think this would be a good 1st laptop. I am looking for one to surf the web and play games/movies when traveling? Please advise I am very very computer illeterate. Thanx.

This is a netbook, not a laptop. It's very basic in its capabilities. It does not have a DVD/CD drive, so you cannot watch those types of movies. Mostly designed for portability and web surfing and email.

Probably not a good choice for gaming either. I am sure some of the more technical based people can chime in with spec differences, but this is just the plain language I know.

You are mostly likely better off looking at the WM BF laptop for your needs.

Got the Acer at Target today, but holding on to it just in case :)

Basically we need for my son to play online games (Nick Jr., Disney stuff) and some learning websites. Also using as a second computer for me while hubby is traveling-- just email and basic web surfing. I wish it could play movies, but I'm thinking it will be fine with itunes and we have digital copies of movies now.

Does this sound like it will fit our needs? I'm totally clueless on computer specs. Thanks!

Has anyone seen the Ad from Best Buy today about the Gateway AMD Athlon II x2 Dual-Core Processor + Solo Brief laptap Case + Wireliss mouse? It has Windows 7 Premium, 3GB or Ram, 320 GM hard drive, Wireless N, Web cam and 15.6 monitor.

I have heard people commenting on Intel vs. AMD and I really don't think the difference would be that noticeable. I want to use this for internet and Microsoft office products.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jim

Has anyone seen the Ad from Best Buy today about the Gateway AMD Athlon II x2 Dual-Core Processor + Solo Brief laptap Case + Wireliss mouse? It has Windows 7 Premium, 3GB or Ram, 320 GM hard drive, Wireless N, Web cam and 15.6 monitor.

I have heard people commenting on Intel vs. AMD and I really don't think the difference would be that noticeable. I want to use this for internet and Microsoft office products.

What do you think?

Thanks,

Jim

1. How much is it? I don't have the ad in front of me.

2. Win7, 3GB RAM,Webcam, and 15.6" Monitor are pretty much industry standard.

AMD vs Intel: This is a heated topic but..

AMD will give you more 'bang for your buck' as in processing power. BUT AMD processors generally run hotter and use more battery.

INTEL is a higher quality (more optimized) so battery life and heat conservation is maximized.

It's like the difference between a Formula One Car and a Nascar. Both are fast - one is meant for cicles, the other for quick turns...

Swim,

It is $429.97 I bought it today and will not open it until after I check out all of the ads, just in case I need to take it back. I was trying to bypass the rush and standing outside for countless hours.

By the way, thanks for the work you did with the spreadsheet!

Jim

Swim,

It is $429.97 I bought it today and will not open it until after I check out all of the ads, just in case I need to take it back. I was trying to bypass the rush and standing outside for countless hours.

By the way, thanks for the work you did with the spreadsheet!

Jim

Thats a nice laptop you bought, if you are happy with it, thats good, about the whole Amd vs intel thing, is that for most people the both cpu's are more then enough power for what you are going to use them for. The new amd cpu's athlon II and Turion II are based on a new design and are supposed to be cooler and more battery efficient then previous amd designs.

Got the Acer at Target today, but holding on to it just in case :)

Basically we need for my son to play online games (Nick Jr., Disney stuff) and some learning websites. Also using as a second computer for me while hubby is traveling-- just email and basic web surfing. I wish it could play movies, but I'm thinking it will be fine with itunes and we have digital copies of movies now.

Does this sound like it will fit our needs? I'm totally clueless on computer specs. Thanks!

Got one today as well.... After browsing this thread, I am now wondering if it isn't such a good deal after all. DH will use it to surf the net, online games, fantasy football, Facebook and what not. Will it really have enough speed, power and battery life? Uuuhhh I can't stand having to replace a pc. The technology changes so rapidly, I can't seem to keep up. :eyepoppin

Just scooped the $229 Gateway netbook from Bestbuy today and am currently browsing with it. I already had a Dell notebook, but the portability factor, huge hard drive, etc on top of the best advertised price I've seen outside of the BF sales ads for a netbook were the deciding factor. I saw the exact same netbook in Radio Shack's ad first and was considering them. But then I was like, how come BB don't have this if RS does...and lo and behold, there it was for the same price. I think they will use these to entice BF shoppers with these once they run out of the doorbuster ones. Decided I would rather spend $50 more now versus waiting to see if the $179 netbook from BB would pop up online or standing line in the cold for hours in hope of getting one.

Now I can spend my BF looking for the smaller things since there was nothing else electronic that I was grabbing this year anyways. :fluffy:

Happy BF Shopping!

~the self proclaimed Coupon King!~

I was just checking out the Target ad for tomorrow and they have an Acer Netbook for $199. That is a pretty good price!

Thanks for leting me know about this. I did buy one today. Not sure if it's exactly the same as the one Best Buy is suppose to have, & not sure if I want to be out that early, so for the extra $50 (over BB's price) I may just keep it :-)

I've narrowed down my choices to 2 laptops from Best Buy.

Sony for $479 vs. Toshiba for $399

From what I have read, the Toshiba has the better processor of the two as the Sony has an Intel Pentium Dual Core to the Toshiba's Intel Core 2 Duo. The Toshiba is not a doorbuster, but the Sony supposedly is (Can anyone confirm this? The "Doorbuster" logo isn't directly by the the Sony with Blu-ray but is by the other Sony Vaio).

The Toshiba does not have Blu-ray however. I was just wondering if somebody with computer knowledge had any input into this decision. Any help would be appreciated.

To simplify:

Sony Vaio vs. Toshiba Satellite

$479 $399

Blu-ray No Blu-ray

Slower processor Faster processor

4 GB Ram (but DDR2) 3 GB Ram (but DDR3)

Wait outside store Order online and avoid the crowds

Anybody have personal preference of the two brands? A few years ago I choose an HP at Best Buy on Black Friday over the Sony Vaio available. My HP has been falling apart, so I was also wondering what people's experiences with Toshiba and Sony has been.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally opened and set up my new laptop. It's the HP G60-549DX from Best Buy for $429.99 (still on sale online) and it's FAST! Even faster than my desktop with an Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo! Though it does have way more ram and Windows 7 so I'm sure that helps it be faster. ;) Here's the link if you want to take a look!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+-+Black/Silver/9601332.p?id=1218130741741&skuId=9601332

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally opened and set up my new laptop. It's the HP G60-549DX from Best Buy for $429.99 (still on sale online) and it's FAST! Even faster than my desktop with an Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo! Though it does have way more ram and Windows 7 so I'm sure that helps it be faster. ;) Here's the link if you want to take a look!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+-+Black/Silver/9601332.p?id=1218130741741&skuId=9601332

That's good to hear. It has the same processor and ram as the Sony.

Below is a link for people comparing processors. Rather than just looking at the name of the processor, look at the specific model of processor. For example the Sony Vaio at Best Buy has the processor at rank 74 while the Toshiba has the processor at rank 65.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

That's good to hear. It has the same processor and ram as the Sony.

Below is a link for people comparing processors. Rather than just looking at the name of the processor, look at the specific model of processor. For example the Sony Vaio at Best Buy has the processor at rank 74 while the Toshiba has the processor at rank 65.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Processors-Benchmarklist.2436.0.html

I think the Sony has the blu-ray, right? Anyway I refuse to stand in line at Best Buy for 12+ hours so this laptop was the best deal for me! ;)