>>> Official Black Friday 2009 LAPTOP & NETBOOK Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

I have never used a laptop before. How exactly do you use the internet on one? Does it connect to a phone line like a desktop?

Most of these netbooks will have a modem port on them (for dial-up internet) as well as an RJ-45 Ethernet Jack and WiFi (wireless internet if you have a wireless setup at home)

Jen8112 - I can make a detailed comparison chart too. I know I've been requesting it but seeing as your'e actually at a real job and I'm just sitting around on campus I can help out if you'd like

I got a Dell Insider deal flyer and wondering what the difference between these two laptops are?

$449 Dell Inspiron 15 Dual Core Processor T4300 320GB HD 4GB Memory

or

$499 Dell Inspiron 15 Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T6600 32oGB HD 3GB Memory

My question is Is the Core 2 duo Processor with 3 gb memory worth the 50 dollars extra? What is the difference?

I got a Dell Insider deal flyer and wondering what the difference between these two laptops are?

or

My question is Is the Core 2 duo Processor with 3 gb memory worth the 50 dollars extra? What is the difference?

The Core 2 Duo is faster. Yes it's worth it to you if speed is important to you. :)

Ummm...you don't have any of the ones from Wal-Mart listed. :o

Fixed.

N/G/B - correlates between different WiFi speeds.

Wireless N is for all usable means the fastest wireless on the consumer market.

However - Wireless G is the most standard wireless speed.

Wireless B has been pretty much phased out.

Wireless N is back compatible with wireless G and B

Wireless G is back compatible with wireless B

All the netbooks (except Kmart and Menards's) are basicly fully functional miniature laptops.

In comparison - the $150 OfficeMax netbook has as much computing power as my desktop from 2000 has. It has no problem surfing the web, playing simple java games, listing to music, etc...

Here the web page with specs on the $198.00 Emachines eme627:

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eME627-5279

Some basic spec:

Cpu: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor TF-20 (1.6GHz, 512KB L2 cache)

Ram: 2 GB

Hard drive: 160 GB

Graphics: HD3200 IGP

Optical drive: Yes, DVD burner

My overall opinion on this laptop is that this makes a deceit starter laptop for a young kid or older person and also for use as a secondary laptop. It's plenty strong enough for what most people will use a laptop for, such as emailing, internet surfing, watching moving movies etc. Emachines laptop is made by Acer who owns Gatway and Emachines computers. Actually the cpu is stronger then a Intel Atom but is a full size laptop so the batt life wont be as good. I hope this helps!!

I'm re quoting my self to bring this post back up, in the spreadsheet it just says amd for the $198.00 Wal-Mart laptop its cpu is: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor TF-20 (1.6GHz, 512KB L2 cache)

Thanks for the comparison chart Swim100

Still confused on the bare minimum needed in order to play those game websites for kids.

And to your answer question, all laptops can play web based games its ether flash or java based! for a kid I would get the 198.00 Lappy from Wally World!

The 469.99 Toshiba L50 cpu is: AMD Turion II Dual Core M500

the 119.99 Kmart piece of crap netbook (sorry I could not resist) cpu is: 400 mhz Samsung

The 298.00 Wal-Mart HP cpu is: Celeron 900 2.2 ghz

The 398.00 Wal-Mart Hp cpu is: Celeron 900 2.2 ghz, They have is at least put a dual core celly in this one , shame!

or

Two things..

1st: Core 2 Duo (one of Intel's "brand name" like Celeron, Pentium, Atom, etc.) is better than a standard Dual Core.

2nd: 3GB RAM for the 2nd laptop might be DDR3 Memory (one can hope!) which is MUCH faster than DDR2. The classification of memory/Mhz speed can be a determining factor in how a laptop performs. 3GB of DDR2 is not the same/as fast as 3GB of DDR3.

a quick look at newegg.com to compare DDR2 and DDR3 laptop memory will show you the current prices which would make the 2nd laptop (if it does in fact have DDR3 in it) a better value! But that doesnt mean there's anything wrong or slow with DDR2 memory, it will even ship with most laptops now.

HTH! :yup:

The 469.99 Toshiba L50 cpu is: AMD Turion II Dual Core M500

the 119.99 Kmart piece of crap netbook (sorry I could not resist) cpu is: 400 mhz Samsung

The 298.00 Wal-Mart HP cpu is: Celeron 900 2.2 ghz

The 398.00 Wal-Mart Hp cpu is: Celeron 900 2.2 ghz, They have is at least put a dual core celly in this one , shame!

ROFLMAO...

I read this as the "119.99 Kmart crapbook"

:rotflol:

So the Intel Pentium T4300 is a dual core? Just not as fast as the Intel Core 2 Duo T6600? What kind of speed difference would there be between these two?

yes, the T4300 is a dual core. The T6600 is said to have 3mb L2 Cache while the T4300 only has 1mb (on a side note, the Celeron processors have 512kb...1/2 of 1mb...L2 Cache) which will help when viewing videos and running multiple programs/windows at once.

It is not a gaming machine but you won't have problems running most games/applications.

Elsewhere I read that the T6600 is 21% faster than the T4300 and uses less energy.

Here's a list of processor comparison:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

(lower rank = better processor)

OK...I have a really stupid question...I was sifting through this thread and saw mention of issues trying to view webkinz on a netbook and that you go to google to get a fix....well that got me a little concerned.

I had planned on getting a netbook just because it would be cheaper than a lot of the laptops for our child...I just assumed that a netbook was a miniature version of a laptop and therefore just reduced the size of everything. With this mindset I just assumed it would reduce the size of viewing for a normal screen...I guess the question is - will there be a lot of issues in viewing websites with a net book?

I don't view webkinz but the issue reported is with the viewable screen specifically with webkinz site.

Here's one answer but I don't know if it's the one you're looking for.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_scroll_down_on_webkinz_because_it_wont_work

They reference a site: http://www.wallysweb.com/webkinz.html for viewing on a netbook.

99% of other websites should have no issue whatsoever being viewed. There may always be issues viewing webpages regardless of which laptop/netbook/desktop you would be using.

Edited by KoopawnKode
forgot stuff :)

Ok, another question. I just use AOL dial-up on my desktop. No broadband, high speed or anything like that. Would I need to upgrade that to be able to use a laptop wireless anywhere in my house?

Simply, Yes.

For wireless in your house you would at the bare minimum need a wireless router and a broadband (Cable, DSL, etc..) connection.

That being said, there are ways you can have your desktop "Share" the internet to a wireless router either through a proxy server program or using windows "Share this internet connection" feature.

Regardless - a wireless router is needed to use the laptop's wireless internet feature.