>>> Official Black Friday 2009 LAPTOP & NETBOOK Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Any thoughts on the Toshiba laptop in the BB ad? Anyone know what processor it has? I googled it but couldn't find a clear answer. I think the ad said it had DDR3 memory but its hard to read.

I won't be using it for gaming. I will mostly be using it to surf the web, large excel sheets, and massive access databases. I would appreciate thoughts from you experts out there.

Its not a doorbuster so I'm thinking I have a pretty good shot of getting it online. I got quite a few non-doorbusters online last year. I don't normally head out to BB until 6 or 7 so it would be great if I can get it online.

Thanks!

The Toshiba has the Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM and 250GB hard drive, very nice computer! :)

OK so I'm now thinking about the Acer Aspire (Dual Core 4GB/320GB), it looks like Office Depot and Radio Shack are offering the same one, but it is cheaper at OD (379.99), but if I can get from Radio Shack on line w/free shipping and the coupon, it might work out better and free up my BF for other shopping opportunities.

A guy at work told me he got through college with his $500 Acer and he's an engineer so I'm thinking this will work well for a 10yr old!

OK so I'm now thinking about the Acer Aspire (Dual Core 4GB/320GB), it looks like Office Depot and Radio Shack are offering the same one, but it is cheaper at OD (379.99), but if I can get from Radio Shack on line w/free shipping and the coupon, it might work out better and free up my BF for other shopping opportunities.

A guy at work told me he got through college with his $500 Acer and he's an engineer so I'm thinking this will work well for a 10yr old!

It will be more than good; a 10yr old doesn't even need 4GB RAM and a 320GB drive. The $249 Acer at Best Buy this week would've been fine for a 10yr old.

I have been personally disappointed in netbook listed so far... I want a small netbook for the wife so she doesn't drag her larger laptop anywhere. Would it be too much to ask for a cheap (149.99 or less) netbook that just has windows XP. unless WM delivers, I might have to watch for Cyber Monday.

Theres a $149.99 @ OfficeMax and $179.99 @ Best Buy BF.

Theres a $149.99 @ OfficeMax and $179.99 @ Best Buy BF.

I saw the Office Max one... unfortunately closest one to me is almost an hour away. The Best Buy is okay, but again, I wanted to spend under $150.

The reason for my top price of $150 because to make netbooks like this really decent you need to spend about another $40 on ram.

We need the official Laptop Comparison Chart and Netbook Comparison Chart like last year...

Anyone up for the challenge of making it?

I believe someone attempted to make a spreadsheet yesterday of all stores and items on sale and it got "deleted".I know this as i was responding to it and bam it was gone.

They might have included the ones from OM and maybe one from WM, that might be why it got deleted. Hopefully they can post the chart sometime this week.

It didnt include anything.It was just someone suggesting that we do it.Yeah hopefully it will get done.Would be much easier to compare when everything is on one page.

Ok so i have another question.Ive read in various post about notebooks needing wireless cards.I know notebooks/laptops comes with built in wireless but lets say the one i buy has a wireless "N" and my router is wireless"G" am i to assume they wont work together?If i get a notebook that has N do i need a N card or do i have to buy a N router?Hope this makes since.

Ok so i have another question.Ive read in various post about notebooks needing wireless cards.I know notebooks/laptops comes with built in wireless but lets say the one i buy has a wireless "N" and my router is wireless"G" am i to assume they wont work together?If i get a notebook that has N do i need a N card or do i have to buy a N router?Hope this makes since.

The Wireless n standard is backwards compatible, it will work with your wireless g router at wireless g speeds. No need to get a wireless n router unless you need the extra bandwidth wireless n provides. For most people wireless g is plenty unless you trying to stream high bit rate hd movies or you need the extra range wireless n provides!

Thought I would chime in on the netbooks.....honestly when netbooks first came out they had screens of 8" and then 9" with a 2 or 4 GB ssd hard drive, Linux and not much else. Since you cant find any 8's or 9's anymore the trend is 10" screens which Im sure are going away soon hence the sales on the Aspire Ones in the sub-$200 price range. I think some are forgetting these arent replacements for a full blown laptop but rather checking email, etc. I have a Dell Mini 10 and my wife and kids all have Acers and they love 'em. I paid $300 for my Mini and upwards of $350 for each Acer. The Officemax BF ad that was pulled had an Acer w/XP home, 160 GB hard drive and 1 GB ram for $149 which is a steal. Look folks all the configurations of the netbooks currently out there are the same or very similiar...except that one off one at Kmart running CE which I would avoid (like the majority that have posted).

My head is swimming trying to find a laptop I will be happy with. With all that are in the ads now can someone please lead me in the right direction. I am wanting one that won't keep telling me memory low. I play games, want to burn cd's & dvd's, download games, pictures surf the web. When I think I have it figured out with how much hd and memory I need, I start hearing the video card is what matters. So many out there that I wouldn't know one video card from another. So what I'm asking is out of all that is listed so far for BF is there one that anyone sees that would something for me? I really like a toshiba at walmart for 899.00 but want to find one $500 and under. TIA

True sadness washes over me.

Unless Wally World suddenly decides to go all-in, the Year of the $99 Netbook is a real dud. Considering you can always find a decent $200-300 netbook on NewEgg and TigerDirect, there's no reason to get too excited.

Except for the RadioShack netbook -- almost a sub-notebook, really -- there's not much to inspire at the low end. Although there are some real winners when you get into the dual-core laptops.

I bought an HP netbook this past weekend with Verizon it was 199.99 but with 100.00 rebate so in the end it will be 100.00 I love it , I got the 60.00 data plan but will only see how I use it for the next few months and see a pattern if its close to the 5GIG then I will keep as is but if its way lower then I will lower it to the 40.00 a month unless we go on vacation. THey said I can change it each month if I need too...

I use my wireless at home so I dont use the GIGs at home and it will be nice to be able to be riding down the road and be able to to be online and gotta deal. IF I camp out i will have my netbook :tongue1: I really dont think Im camping out this year .Actually I think Im going out shopping on Sat when the crowds die down .. All I need is clothes and hopefully I will be able to do most deals online on the other things. All the things I need are not big ticket No electronics . The biggest thing I wanted was the itunes but ended up getting them on Costco 90.00 worth of itunes for 74.xx I thought that was a good deal . I ended up with 180.00 with of Itunes and will divide them up by all of us :eyepoppin

True sadness washes over me.

Unless Wally World suddenly decides to go all-in, the Year of the $99 Netbook is a real dud. Considering you can always find a decent $200-300 netbook on NewEgg and TigerDirect, there's no reason to get too excited.

I agree... I was really hoping someone might do a basic netbook for $100. Guess I just won't have to fight the crowd for any big hot items this year.

I've never been shopping at a store that doesn't open super early or is open 24 hours on Black Friday. I'm planning on purchasing a laptop from BB or Staples this year. What time do folks normally show up at these stores? Anyone have a clue??

Best Buy, probably Thanksgiving morning.

Staples: maybe 2am-ish if you want to be at the front of the line, depending on which laptop you want, if it's a doorbuster or not.

What about the 2 laptops that cnn.com says Wal-Mart will have. My dd wants one. She is twelve years old and will probably just use it to surf the web and she'll need something that she can type reports and such on for school. She also wants to use it to watch dvd's with.

Here's another question about laptops. We currently have dial-up. According to att they will be getting dsl in my area around January. How does dial-up work with her laptop, can she just plug it in through the phone and use it since I have dial-up on my desktop or does she need a different dial-up account?

What about the 2 laptops that cnn.com says Wal-Mart will have. My dd wants one. She is twelve years old and will probably just use it to surf the web and she'll need something that she can type reports and such on for school. She also wants to use it to watch dvd's with.

Here's another question about laptops. We currently have dial-up. According to att they will be getting dsl in my area around January. How does dial-up work with her laptop, can she just plug it in through the phone and use it since I have dial-up on my desktop or does she need a different dial-up account?

I tried to post info about the laptops Walmart is going to have. I came back and it was gone! :yuck::razz:

You can use the same account (usually). Just set up the dial-up on her computer, and plug her in. Both of you just can't be online at the same time.