>>> Official Black Friday 2009 LAPTOP & NETBOOK Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Just picked up a Acer Laptop at bestbuy for 249 its 15.4" 160hd 2gb ram and has windows 7 great for my 12 year old,

I can't find that laptop on their website :( They have one for 329 ...it is the cheapest I can find :(

I can't find that laptop on their website :( They have one for 329 ...it is the cheapest I can find :(

They are sold out online, try your local store.

here's the link to the computer , you can check to see if its available in your area

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Extensa+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Celeron%26%23174%3B+Processor+-+Black/9632183.p?id=1218134616331&skuId=9632183&st=9632183&cp=1&lp=1

They are sold out online, try your local store.

here's the link to the computer , you can check to see if its available in your area

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Acer+-+Extensa+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Celeron%26%23174%3B+Processor+-+Black/9632183.p?id=1218134616331&skuId=9632183&st=9632183&cp=1&lp=1

I don't even have a Best Buy locally. Just Staples and Office Max. Nearest Best Buy is over and hour away. :( Oh well. Great deal but just can't travel that far to save a few bucks. As of now I guess I'll try to get the HP from Staples on BF. ;)

I would use it as my main computer if I was close enough to a Best Buy to get my hands on one. :)

So I went to BB and got one. Now it's just sitting there cuz I don't know if I want to open it in case I decide I don't want it. I finally bought a laptop and I'm still confused! ;)

for $249...It's a steal! Keep in mind though that it probably isn't the 15.6 WIDESCREEN laptop with the built in number keypad. It's a 15.4" fullscreen. It's almost like it's last year's model, with Windows 7. It may have a dual core Celeron, but it's still considered a low end laptop.

So long as you're not going to be playing games and multi-tasking too much, it suits the needs of the average user.

So I went to BB and got one. Now it's just sitting there cuz I don't know if I want to open it in case I decide I don't want it. I finally bought a laptop and I'm still confused! ;)

:yup: I'd leave it in its box (or make it look like it had never been opened when you take it back...lol...it's possible if you're extremely careful) until you see what other deals will be available on BF. But, I seriously doubt you'll find something as nice for less that what that one was selling for....Unless it's some form of a netbook...which I'm trying to avoid. I mean, the laptop may not be something good for the gurus who play all kinds of crazy games and make movies, etc. But for those of us who do word processing, web surfing, facebook, a few light games, burn a few cds,etc... it's a steal. ;)

for $249...It's a steal! Keep in mind though that it probably isn't the 15.6 WIDESCREEN laptop with the built in number keypad. It's a 15.4" fullscreen. It's almost like it's last year's model, with Windows 7. It may have a dual core Celeron, but it's still considered a low end laptop.

So long as you're not going to be playing games and multi-tasking too much, it suits the needs of the average user.

It say's it has a 15.4 inch widescreen. The only games that will be played on it with probably only be Farmville! ;) Which DOES need Java. Also we'll want to play movies on it and possibly watch TV shows online. At this point we either keep it or return it and try for the HP for $399 at Staples BF. :confused:

Ok, one more question! Is there a big difference between the HP at Staples on BF than this one on sale at BB right now besides $30?

Staples

$399

HP with Intel Pentium T4300

15.6" widescreen

4GB RAM

250GB Memory

Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+-+Black/Silver/9601332.p?id=1218130741741&skuId=9601332

Thank you! If you haven't noticed...I'm an over thinker! ;)

I don't know off the top of my head if the staples one is the same, but the BB one has an HDMI port for external viewing to a hi-def TV. It won't play blu-ray, but at least the output is good.

For what you said you needed.. the $250 should work perfectly fine. Farmville can be played on a netbook even. :yup:

Differences between the two would be whether or not they have the number keypad built in, number of usb ports, extra video (HDMI) ports, wireless-n or b-g only (the majority are wireless b-g), keyboard layout and battery life. Try to find a picture of them to compare so you don't have to open the box of the one you got just yet. :-)

I don't know off the top of my head if the staples one is the same, but the BB one has an HDMI port for external viewing to a hi-def TV. It won't play blu-ray, but at least the output is good.

Actually, both BB's site and Acer's site list this laptop as NOT having an HDMI port.

Link to Acer's site for specs on this laptop.

On the other hand, it does have a built-in webcam, if that's important to you.

It does come with Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, a plus in my book, meaning if you ever have the itch to upgrade the memory to 4GB, the OS will use all 4GB.

It also has wireless compat. of b/g/n, another plus, and LAN is GB.

Overall, its price is a netbook price but is more powerful than comparable netbooks, not to mention it has an optical drive, something netbooks lack, and a much larger screen--meaning easier to read.

They seem to be selling out rather quickly, at least around my area. Between last night and this morning, three BB's that had stock yesterday evening are now listed as OOS.

Okay, so we keep hearing about the deals there should be on netboks this year. I've seen Kmarts adscan for their off brand netbook, heard that Walmart MAY have one, but haven't seen or heard anything else. Other than Kmart, are there any more definite sales on netbooks this year?

Okay, so we keep hearing about the deals there should be on netboks this year. I've seen Kmarts adscan for their off brand netbook, heard that Walmart MAY have one, but haven't seen or heard anything else. Other than Kmart, are there any more definite sales on netbooks this year?

I would NOT pay a penny for that cheap piece of junk that Kmart calls a netbook. I'd call it an oversized cellphone with only internet capabilities. It has windows CE and specs that are over 10 years old ( 400Mhz, 128 MB of ram, and only TWO, yes, TWO GB of hard drive space!) Cheap, but pathetic and useless (also,I don't think windows CE can run Flash can it?...if this is true...you're going to be doing very little, if anything on this machine).....just my 2 cents....anywhoo, Sam's Club has an Acer Aspire One 10.1" Netbook. Now I'm not for sure on the specs of this machine, but I'll bet money on the fact that it will atleast come with either XP or 7 starter, possibly. I'll also bet it will have atleast a gig of ram. Already you can see it's much better than Kmart's oversized pda! Plus, Sam's club price for this netbook is only 197 dollars....just a little bit more than Kmart's. The Acer also has a bigger screen than the Kmart junk and I KNOW will be made with WAY more quality. ;)

Ok, one more question! Is there a big difference between the HP at Staples on BF than this one on sale at BB right now besides $30?

Staples

$399

HP with Intel Pentium T4300

15.6" widescreen

4GB RAM

250GB Memory

Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+-+Black/Silver/9601332.p?id=1218130741741&skuId=9601332

Thank you! If you haven't noticed...I'm an over thinker! ;)

Actually, both BB's site and Acer's site list this laptop as NOT having an HDMI port.

Link to Acer's site for specs on this laptop.

On the other hand, it does have a built-in webcam, if that's important to you.

It does come with Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit, a plus in my book, meaning if you ever have the itch to upgrade the memory to 4GB, the OS will use all 4GB.

It also has wireless compat. of b/g/n, another plus, and LAN is GB.

Overall, its price is a netbook price but is more powerful than comparable netbooks, not to mention it has an optical drive, something netbooks lack, and a much larger screen--meaning easier to read.

They seem to be selling out rather quickly, at least around my area. Between last night and this morning, three BB's that had stock yesterday evening are now listed as OOS.

Thanks guys but I was asking the difference between the HP at Staples BF for $399 and the HP at BB right now for $430?

I WAS talking about the HP at BB right now for $430. Not any Acer that is up for grabs. The specs for the $399@staples (for BF) and the the $430@BB (avail. now) are near identical except for the HDMI port that is listed on the BB site HERE. The staples one doesn't have a legible SKU so I can't see if it has HDMI port.

Thanks guys but I was asking the difference between the HP at Staples BF for $399 and the HP at BB right now for $430?

Not having to wait at Staples on BF, if that's worth $30 to you. They're both not very fast/great processors, but then it's in this price range, it's not going to be blazing, just sufficient for basic things.

Also Staples, you have to deal with the rebate, even though they make the process very simple. $30 is not a huge amount of savings, if you want something now.

It's not much of a difference. I don't see the laptop on Staples website right now to check the exact specs, but it's not like you're getting a superior laptop for 30 dollars less on BF.

I WAS talking about the HP at BB right now for $430. Not any Acer that is up for grabs. The specs for the $399@staples (for BF) and the the $430@BB (avail. now) are near identical except for the HDMI port that is listed on the BB site HERE. The staples one doesn't have a legible SKU so I can't see if it has HDMI port.

Oh yes you were. Thank you. Well I bought the one at BB online for $430 and picking it up at the store (when I return the $250 one ;) ). After I got home yesterday with the one for $250 I talked with DH and we decided to get a better laptop that might last us a little longer. So figuring the one at Staples for BF and the one at BB where pretty much the same I spent the extra $30 NOT to stand out in the freezing cold for hours! ;)

Oh yes you were. Thank you. Well I bought the one at BB online for $430 and picking it up at the store (when I return the $250 one ;) ). After I got home yesterday with the one for $250 I talked with DH and we decided to get a better laptop that might last us a little longer. So figuring the one at Staples for BF and the one at BB where pretty much the same I spent the extra $30 NOT to stand out in the freezing cold for hours! ;)

The extra $180 will get you better specs (which is great if you need them), but it's not going to ensure that the laptop will last any longer than the $250 one. In my experience the primary factor in determining how long a laptop will last is the user (or users) and the way it is used and maintained, not the money spent on it.

Not having to wait at Staples on BF, if that's worth $30 to you. They're both not very fast/great processors, but then it's in this price range, it's not going to be blazing, just sufficient for basic things.

Also Staples, you have to deal with the rebate, even though they make the process very simple. $30 is not a huge amount of savings, if you want something now.

It's not much of a difference. I don't see the laptop on Staples website right now to check the exact specs, but it's not like you're getting a superior laptop for 30 dollars less on BF.

I'm glad you'll get something you'll enjoy in the long run! :) While the $250 laptop was an "OK" deal, I personally would've been frustrated with it after only a couple weeks because of my personal needs. Yes, the BB one doesn't have the top-of-the-line processor, but we weren't talking about $1000+ laptops so it's a good deal nonetheless.

Plus, like Freesia said, Staples would make you wait a bit longer for their $50 easy rebate which raises your Out Of Pocket expense.

The extra $180 will get you better specs (which is great if you need them), but it's not going to ensure that the laptop will last any longer than the $250 one. In my experience the primary factor in determining how long a laptop will last is the user (or users) and the way it is used and maintained, not the money spent on it.

:) What I mean by last longer meaning it will last longer technology wise, not that the one for $250 would break sooner. I do maintain my computers well. My desktop that I bought 3 years ago BF is running as fast as the day I bought it! What helps if the Core 2 Duo and I never installed the free Vista upgrade! ;)

and I never installed the free Vista upgrade! ;)

You know, this is something that I have been looking for. A NEW laptop with XP installed~! And I can't seem to find one. Do any computer manufacturers still carry them other than the Dell minis and netbooks? Yeah, yeah...so everyone says 7 is one thing Microsoft has done right. I don't want 7. I despise Vista and 7. Tried em both, hate em both. I plan to use XP until I am FORCED to go otherwise. (which I believe is 2014) Xp is great and doesn't require much to run. Simple and clean.

You know, this is something that I have been looking for. A NEW laptop with XP installed~! And I can't seem to find one. Do any computer manufacturers still carry them other than the Dell minis and netbooks? Yeah, yeah...so everyone says 7 is one thing Microsoft has done right. I don't want 7. I despise Vista and 7. Tried em both, hate em both. I plan to use XP until I am FORCED to go otherwise. (which I believe is 2014) Xp is great and doesn't require much to run. Simple and clean.

I LOVE XP! I know 7 will take some getting used to but it's GOT to be better than Vista! ;) I still have XP on my desktop and plan on keeping it that way for looong time! :)

I LOVE XP! I know 7 will take some getting used to but it's GOT to be better than Vista! ;) I still have XP on my desktop and plan on keeping it that way for looong time! :)

I'm just wondering how hard it will be to find XP drivers for Win. 7 machines...hmm...

I wouldn't get too fixated on trying to stay with XP. The machines in our house are all on Win 7 now. One is fast no matter what's run on it....i7 920 @ 4GHz, X58 chipset motherboard, 6GB RAM, etc., etc.....and was fast with Vista Ultimate and is even quicker with Win 7 Ultimate, bot 64-bit OS's.

But the other is a more ordinary box....C2D E8200, Gigabyte 965 chipset mb, 4GB RAM, 3870 video card, 500GB hd......and the move to Win 7 made the machine much more responsive than it was while operating on XP Pro. This machine dual boots XP and Win 7, and the responsiveness when running Win 7 has made my wife (it's her machine) completely give up the XP installation. I did the install purposely with a dual boot option because I didn't know which she'd want to keep, XP or 7, and the XP is now history.

So, don't irrationally dismiss Win 7 just because a few still cling to the creaking old XP. Instead, go to a store and play with a computer with it installed, or better yet, find a friend with it installed and use his/her computer for a bit. You may be surprised that Win 7 isn't quite the devil as some portray.

So, don't irrationally dismiss Win 7 just because a few still cling to the creaking old XP. Instead, go to a store and play with a computer with it installed, or better yet, find a friend with it installed and use his/her computer for a bit. You may be surprised that Win 7 isn't quite the devil as some portray.

I've used 7 for many weeks now. Dualbooting XP and 7 ultimate on an HP w/ 4gb ram, 4GHz, 200GB hdd, etc...Which do I prefer? XP. Nothing against those that use 7...I just happened to find it to be a glitzy version of xp. Nothing added that really tickles me fancy. XP still seems to run faster...Xp still works fine for me. Now, if I'm forced to go 7, I'm fine with that =) -Sorry to get off topic :D