>>> Official Black Friday 2009 LAPTOP & NETBOOK Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Well I understand your needs, I should caution you that all laptops that the website you referenced reviewed all had a dual core processor in them. This allowed them to get an average ~25FPS. Now I won't say with upgrading the memory in the emachines that it wouldn't handle the job but remember. The emachines is only a single core processor and that TF2 and a bit more power hungry than HL2: Lost Coast. Either way though I hope the laptop works out for you.

Good observation, I didn't notice that before. I had a chance to play with an Acer laptop with the exact same specs and I think that it'll do fine by me. As the Best Buy $200 HP still uses an Intel integrated I think I'm still going to jump on the emachines. I'm sure that I'll be able to get TF2 to run on it smoothly, although I'm not expecting amazing graphics from the thing. Low settings are fine by me so long as the thing runs!

I'm thinking of going with the 200 dollar E-Machine laptop because it has a decent integrated card on it. According to Notebookcheck's website, the HD 3200 is able to run Half Life 2 on high settings ~ 25 FPS. I think that all the thing needs to be a pretty serviceable laptop is an extra 2 gigs of RAM, some time spent to get rid of the bloatware, and some TLC. Anyone agree with me on this or am I just blowing smoke?

I really just want a system to run Team Fortress 2 after my last two systems fell apart... :gdcensored:

Well I understand your needs, I should caution you that all laptops that the website you referenced reviewed all had a dual core processor in them. This allowed them to get an average ~25FPS. Now I won't say with upgrading the memory in the emachines that it wouldn't handle the job but remember. The emachines is only a single core processor and that TF2 and a bit more power hungry than HL2: Lost Coast. Either way though I hope the laptop works out for you.

I agree with DaFees. Although the graphics card is there and not integrated graphics, you would see some performance difference in two laptops where this was the only thing different. But the processor is single-core and currently ranks lower than the Celeron 900. Remember, Celeron was a name brand so not all Celeron's now are as annoyingly slow as their ancient counterparts of years' past.

Compare graphics cards: (lower is better)

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

ATI HD3200 ranks 131 while Intel integrated 4500 ranks 136.

and compare processors: (lower is better)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

AMD Athlon TF-20 (Single Core) ranks 585 and Intel Celeron 900 ranks 411.

Note that this does not mean that Intel chips are always superior to AMD's, but in this particular case it does. HTH!

I'm glad to hear Celeron isn't the crappy discount processor that it used to be, so it's back to the great debate... The Intel 4500 does appear to run Left 4 Dead (using a dual core processor) so I imagine that Team Fortress 2 will work. Also, I have to say I trust HP over emachines for overall quality. Man, I was hoping I could stay inside a heated building while I waited for black friday...

I'm glad to hear Celeron isn't the crappy discount processor that it used to be, so it's back to the great debate... The Intel 4500 does appear to run Left 4 Dead (using a dual core processor) so I imagine that Team Fortress 2 will work. Also, I have to say I trust HP over emachines for overall quality. Man, I was hoping I could stay inside a heated building while I waited for black friday...

Yes the The Intel 4500 is way better the the Intel 3100 igp it replaced, but the driver support is just not there for games as it is on the ATI hd3200. Most celerons come with the Intel 4500 not the Intel 4500hd which is slightly better then the 4500. Plus when it comes to high definition movies the ATI hd3200 has a decided edge in gpu accelerated hd decoding esp important with these budget cpu's.

after going through these posts again, I'm still totally confused.

I bought the Acer at Target already, but haven't opened it. I mainly bought for my son to play online games, ed websites, etc. (so we will need to use java/flash). Does anyone know if this netbook will work for that? This is a deal breaker for me if it can't, so I would really appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

I bought a Toshiba notebook several years ago. By far, that one was the most cheaply put-together computer we have ever had. The first day, the clip that holds it closed broke off with normal closing. After a few months, the usb ports started coming out WITH the usb cords that were plugged in when we tried to unplug them. After 1 year, the screen decided to get a line going across it for no apparent reason.

Granted, I purchased this computer back in 2004, and maybe since then they have changed how their products are made. But I'll never have another Toshiba.

have bought 2 toshiba lt over the years I would buy Another one anytime

I bought a Toshiba notebook several years ago. By far, that one was the most cheaply put-together computer we have ever had. The first day, the clip that holds it closed broke off with normal closing. After a few months, the usb ports started coming out WITH the usb cords that were plugged in when we tried to unplug them. After 1 year, the screen decided to get a line going across it for no apparent reason.

Granted, I purchased this computer back in 2004, and maybe since then they have changed how their products are made. But I'll never have another Toshiba.

I got the Toshiba satellite from wally world last year and it has been used from 10am - 12am by myself and then my son gets off work at 1am and is on it until 5am. It hasnt had any problems as of yet. I would buy another one if needed. Very pleased with it.

If anyone is still comparing there is an updated page on Tiger Direct which just went up in the past hour. They have a fairly nice laptop 15" screen on there at a nice price

Unfortunately it won't allow me to include a link in my post as I've not posted enough before so you'll have to type Tiger Direct into a browser and then on their front page look for the updated sale page which they are calling Early Pink Friday sale

OK, so I jumped on Target's netbook offer this week & now see that Sams club will also have an Acer Aspire for 197.

I'm trying to compare model #'s since they're different - AOD250-1196 & AOD250-1165. Anyone know where I can do a side by side comparison? I pulled both up @ amazon but they dont have the same info listed for each....which is the better netbook?!

uhh...just wanted to let everybody know that the $179 Compaq Netbook from Bestbuy is available online....DON'T SLEEP!

You have to pay for shipping of course, but think about the time and gas saved.

I got the $229 Gateway on Sunday...wish I had waited so I could have save $50...but I'm still happy with my purchase.

GET IT IN, PEOPLE....

uhh...just wanted to let everybody know that the $179 Compaq Netbook from Bestbuy is available online....DON'T SLEEP!

You have to pay for shipping of course, but think about the time and gas saved.

I got the $229 Gateway on Sunday...wish I had waited so I could have save $50...but I'm still happy with my purchase.

GET IT IN, PEOPLE....

Thanks!! I picked one up. That saves me from having to go to Sam's and Officemax, etc. to try to get one. Soooo happy!!! (And I prefer Compaq to Acer, so its a plus)

The Comp USA ad has emachines for 299.

AMD Anthlon 64 TF-20 1.6 GHz CPU

2GB DDR2 Memory

160GB HDD DVD Super Multi DL Drive

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics with 256 MB

Dedicated Vram

Windows 7 Home Pentium 64 bit

Is this any good? I want to get the ACER laptop they have for 197. but also need a laptop

for my son. It would be great to get both in one shot. Please Help.

What do you all think about this laptop for $498 plus we get a 10% employee discount:

Acer 17.3" Aspire AS7535-5020 Laptop PC with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-65 & Windows 7

The Acer AS7535-5020 Notebook is packed with entertainment and extras to get more out of your digital world. Featuring a cinematic 17.3" high-def widescreen LEDbacklit display, Windows 7 Home Premium, AMD dual-core processing, ATI Radeon HD graphics, Dolby Surround Sound and extras to keep you productive, you will be able to do things quicker and enjoy more of your entertainment wherever you are.

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-65

Offers 2.1GHz speed, a 667MHz Front side bus, and 1MB L2 cache

* 4GB of DDR2 Dual Channel Memory @667MHz

Handles multimedia and multitasking

* 320GB SATA hard drive, rated at 5400rpm speed

Stores up to 90,000 photos, or up to 79,000 songs, or up to 38 hours of HD video

* SuperMulti Double-Layer DVD burner

Plays and creates CDs and DVDs in a variety of different formats

* 17.3" HD Widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit Display

1600x900 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics with up to 1919MB of HyperMemory supporting Shader Model 4.0, Microsoft DirectX 10.0. HDMI video allows you to connect to an HD TV.

* Wireless WiFI & Wired Gigabit Ethernet port

Connects to a broadband modem (cable or DSL) or a network supporting 10/100/1000Mbps.

802.11 b/g & N wireless LAN, connects wirelessly to a network, hotpost or broadband router.

This is for my 14 yo son.He'll be on the internet (we have wireless),my space and recording his actual music as in him playing the guitar and singing.My other son has all the hard/software to do this with.

If it's true,I can get this one at midnight because it is an all day sale.The nearest wal mart is about 20 minutes.

It is between this one and the 499 one at Office Depot.I will have to travel 1 hr and wait outside in line (it is supposed to snow here!) for who knows how many hours!But I am more than willing to do that for him.Heck I have done it before for a darned Wii...lol...

here's the specs of the OD laptop:

ETA: This is an HP

* High-performance Intel Core 2 Duo processor lets you handle the demands of today's software.

* Extra-large 4GB memory lets you run your most demanding programs.

* 250GB hard drive holds thousands of songs, photos and documents.

* Convenient Wireless-B/G capability for cable-free networking. Lets you access wireless networks to share files, surf the Web and exchange email. Wired networking is supported, too.

* Large 17.3" diagonal widescreen LED BrightView screen. The LED screen consumes less power than a comparable LCD, for longer battery life.

* Plays and burns CDs and DVDs. Plus, built-in LightScribe™ technology lets you create and burn your own labels right onto your discs. (LightScribe media is required, sold separately.)

* Memory card reader for fast, easy photo transfers. Transfer your digital photos, music and other files from 5 types of memory cards.

* Built-in webcam and microphone let you keep in touch with others via video and voice messaging.

* HDMI port lets you view videos and photos on your HDTV.

* Provides up to 4 hours of battery life on a single charge.

* Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The newest version of Windows makes everyday tasks simple.

Thanks so much.I appreciate it.I have been up since 6am cooking and have a horrific headache!!I don't know the difference between the pentium and amd processors.

Jenn

Edited by Jenn A
left out something

What do you all think about this laptop for $498 plus we get a 10% employee discount:

Acer 17.3" Aspire AS7535-5020 Laptop PC with AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-65 & Windows 7

The Acer AS7535-5020 Notebook is packed with entertainment and extras to get more out of your digital world. Featuring a cinematic 17.3" high-def widescreen LEDbacklit display, Windows 7 Home Premium, AMD dual-core processing, ATI Radeon HD graphics, Dolby Surround Sound and extras to keep you productive, you will be able to do things quicker and enjoy more of your entertainment wherever you are.

* AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor QL-65

Offers 2.1GHz speed, a 667MHz Front side bus, and 1MB L2 cache

* 4GB of DDR2 Dual Channel Memory @667MHz

Handles multimedia and multitasking

* 320GB SATA hard drive, rated at 5400rpm speed

Stores up to 90,000 photos, or up to 79,000 songs, or up to 38 hours of HD video

* SuperMulti Double-Layer DVD burner

Plays and creates CDs and DVDs in a variety of different formats

* 17.3" HD Widescreen CineCrystal LED-backlit Display

1600x900 resolution, 16:9 aspect ratio

ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics with up to 1919MB of HyperMemory supporting Shader Model 4.0, Microsoft DirectX 10.0. HDMI video allows you to connect to an HD TV.

* Wireless WiFI & Wired Gigabit Ethernet port

Connects to a broadband modem (cable or DSL) or a network supporting 10/100/1000Mbps.

802.11 b/g & N wireless LAN, connects wirelessly to a network, hotpost or broadband router.

This is for my 14 yo son.He'll be on the internet (we have wireless),my space and recording his actual music as in him playing the guitar and singing.My other son has all the hard/software to do this with.

If it's true,I can get this one at midnight because it is an all day sale.The nearest wal mart is about 20 minutes.

It is between this one and the 499 one at Office Depot.I will have to travel 1 hr and wait outside in line (it is supposed to snow here!) for who knows how many hours!But I am more than willing to do that for him.Heck I have done it before for a darned Wii...lol...

here's the specs of the OD laptop:

ETA: This is an HP

* High-performance Intel Core 2 Duo processor lets you handle the demands of today's software.

* Extra-large 4GB memory lets you run your most demanding programs.

* 250GB hard drive holds thousands of songs, photos and documents.

* Convenient Wireless-B/G capability for cable-free networking. Lets you access wireless networks to share files, surf the Web and exchange email. Wired networking is supported, too.

* Large 17.3" diagonal widescreen LED BrightView screen. The LED screen consumes less power than a comparable LCD, for longer battery life.

* Plays and burns CDs and DVDs. Plus, built-in LightScribe™ technology lets you create and burn your own labels right onto your discs. (LightScribe media is required, sold separately.)

* Memory card reader for fast, easy photo transfers. Transfer your digital photos, music and other files from 5 types of memory cards.

* Built-in webcam and microphone let you keep in touch with others via video and voice messaging.

* HDMI port lets you view videos and photos on your HDTV.

* Provides up to 4 hours of battery life on a single charge.

* Microsoft® Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit. The newest version of Windows makes everyday tasks simple.

Thanks so much.I appreciate it.I have been up since 6am cooking and have a horrific headache!!I don't know the difference between the pentium and amd processors.

Jenn

Hi Jenn!, I would recommend the 1st choice because it will do everything your son needs it to do, plus it has a better Graphics igp incase he ever whats to play some games at low settings. The 2nd laptop is good also, it does have a slightly better cpu, but its not a big enough difference to travel a hour and wait in line for it, the amd cpu is a good cpu also. Hope this helps!

Did this board totally miss the boat on the Fry's $300 laptop? I didn't see mention of it anywhere. It is an HP g61-321nr with a dual core athlon, 3 GB memory, and an ATI HD4200 video card. Seems lie a great laptop for the money. The latest price was $449 for it.

http://www.frys.com/product/6085598?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I just saw it, but its already sold out. :-( Fry's site is soooo slow right now.

Hi Jenn!, I would recommend the 1st choice because it will do everything your son needs it to do, plus it has a better Graphics igp incase he ever whats to play some games at low settings. The 2nd laptop is good also, it does have a slightly better cpu, but its not a big enough difference to travel a hour and wait in line for it, the amd cpu is a good cpu also. Hope this helps!

Thank you so very much :)

I went and compared processors and talked to my brother about it.he said if he wants it for recording music to go with a desk top.My brother records alot of music on both a laptop and desktop and he said that desk tops are so much better to record with.

Shew..LOL....

So I guess I will get in line for the 499 desktop at Office Depot.

Thanks again,

Jenn

I just saw it, but its already sold out. :-( Fry's site is soooo slow right now.

Things go crazy fast on the fry's site and people in Houston are so fanatical about Fry's I dare not even try to get in line for one. I will keep my eye on it tonight since they might release some more for online sales at midnight. From what I found out they sold out in 20 minutes or so last night (this morning).

I bought the $300 laptop they had a couple months back but it will cost me about $60 in upgrades to get it close to the same specs as this one and it has Windows Vista (eck).

Edited by guest