>>> Official Black Friday 2009 LAPTOP & NETBOOK Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

I'm debating between the 3 Walmart Laptops...the ones for $198,$298 and $398. I like the specs and the fact that the 398 has a LED display AND HDMI Out. However it is unclear that the 298 one has HDMI out or not. And the price of the eMachiene is also intreiging. I also plan to hook up a External BluRay burner as well to make whatever laptop I get a HD system, with Netflix streaming.

Any help?

I'm a college student so I have time to kill anyways lol.

Lol! Then have fun my friend! I'm married with two kids...so I do not! ;) See, more proof that laptops are very personal and no one can tell you which on to buy! :) I say determine how much you are comfortable spending and get the best computer for you money...anyhow your comfortable getting it! ;)

Seems there is another laptop to throw into the mix......from BB of all places. Looks like they'll have an HP laptop, set up like the $249 Acer from last week, for $197 on BF.

BB's doorbusters 2009, including a $197 HP laptop.

THANK YOU !!!! Finally something woth getting in line for, I would rather a low end HP then any other brand in the mix this year.

How many of the Laptops does BB usually have on BF so I know how early to get there. The $197 one

On the page linked above, it says minimum of 5 per store, so there'll be at least 5. Some stores, esp. larger ones, will probably have more, but some will have only 5. To assume anything else is pure guesswork.

I feel compelled to say, after reading most of this thread, I'm worried for the average consumer that doesn't know the difference between laptops & netbooks, what either is or isn't capable of, how one goes 'wireless', etc. Please people, for the love of all things holy, do research (and lots of it) before you buy anything!

I hate to beat a dead horse. I have read through this entire thread, are there and final thoughts on the Acer netbook that Target has for sale this week for $199. It appears to be the same one Office Max has for $50 less on BF.

It would be for my 12 year old daughter. Facebook/email/surfing web. Simple things like that. She doesn't do any kind of hard core games.

I talked to the man in Target last night and he thought it would completely meet her needs.

Anyone point me in a direction one way or another?

Thanks in advance :)

markolonghorn:

I've narrowed down my choices to 2 laptops from Best Buy.

Sony for $479 vs. Toshiba for $399...

... A few years ago I choose an HP at Best Buy on Black Friday over the Sony Vaio available. My HP has been falling apart, so I was also wondering what people's experiences with Toshiba and Sony has been.

To reiterate-- a lot of personal choice.

I bought the hp and sony that year. hp working great, been bounced more times than my cell phone, sturdy as a timex. I have bought two more hp laptops since, one for me as an upgrade and one for a daughter. The sony is working fine, my daughter is still using it but it sometimes she can't use the wireless when it gets heated up. We have even gotten a fan but doesn't help. So I won't be buying another one.

Just my personal experiences.

THANK YOU !!!! Finally something woth getting in line for, I would rather a low end HP then any other brand in the mix this year.

Yep. I've had my $279 HP from BB for 3 years now and have only upgraded the ram. Still works great and have not had any problems. Will be keeping it another few years before upgrading. And its pretty too. :-)

Count me in line, ill be preparing today w00t! I won't divulge my time :eyepoppin

Hows your surgery going? Will you be able to wait?

for $199. It appears to be the same one Office Max has for $50 less on BF.

Officemax doesnt have that for sale, it was a fake ad. Officemax is not doing black friday just like last year. No Doorbusters. Sorry.

Count me in line, ill be preparing today w00t! I won't divulge my time :eyepoppin

ME TO!!!! The only thing I wish it had was a webcam built in :(

Even so I am so beyond happy about this new news that I could just scream, k well I guess I did scream ... but if no one heard me does it still count??

Edited by dustysky

Alright help me out people, according to this cnet.com article, http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10403436-1.html?tag=hotTopicsBody.1

The author quotes that according to what he has seen reported that the $398 HP at Walmart has a dual core processor. Can anyone give any confirmation to this? I ask because in the ad it has a picture of a Celeron sticker beside the laptop.

Alright help me out people, according to this cnet.com article, http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10403436-1.html?tag=hotTopicsBody.1

The author quotes that according to what he has seen reported that the $398 HP at Walmart has a dual core processor. Can anyone give any confirmation to this? I ask because in the ad it has a picture of a Celeron sticker beside the laptop.

I assumed it was a Celeron because of the sticker next to it also.

I hate to beat a dead horse. I have read through this entire thread, are there and final thoughts on the Acer netbook that Target has for sale this week for $199. It appears to be the same one Office Max has for $50 less on BF.

It would be for my 12 year old daughter. Facebook/email/surfing web. Simple things like that. She doesn't do any kind of hard core games.

I talked to the man in Target last night and he thought it would completely meet her needs.

Anyone point me in a direction one way or another?

Thanks in advance :)

The Target netbook sounds perfect for her! The thing is, you likely will have a hard time finding one--they're out of stock all over the place.

I'm going to our new super Walmart today to see if they carry the same model and, if so, try to get a price match. Otherwise, they have the same netbook at both Office Max (for $50 less) and Sam's Club ($197) on Black Friday.

Good luck to you! :D

The Target netbook sounds perfect for her! The thing is, you likely will have a hard time finding one--they're out of stock all over the place.

I'm going to our new super Walmart today to see if they carry the same model and, if so, try to get a price match. Otherwise, they have the same netbook at both Office Max (for $50 less) and Sam's Club ($197) on Black Friday.

Good luck to you! :D

Thanks so much for your response! :D

I see on some other threads re: the same subject that Staples is price matching too. I'm going out now to find out.

Yippee! I was able to get a price match at Staples tonite. I initially was told that they would PM as long they could call and verify that the item was in stock at Target--which I knew it wasn't--but for some reason she went to the back, grabbed one for me and rang me up without even trying to call.

I am one happy camper tonite! :D Thanks again to the poster who mentioned the Staples price match!

I'm thinking of going with the 200 dollar E-Machine laptop because it has a decent integrated card on it. According to Notebookcheck's website, the HD 3200 is able to run Half Life 2 on high settings ~ 25 FPS. I think that all the thing needs to be a pretty serviceable laptop is an extra 2 gigs of RAM, some time spent to get rid of the bloatware, and some TLC. Anyone agree with me on this or am I just blowing smoke?

I really just want a system to run Team Fortress 2 after my last two systems fell apart... :gdcensored:

Well clarify an earlier post I made the $398 laptop at Walmart is in fact a single core Intel Celeron 900 processor. This information comes straight from their website.

WOW...I am bummed about that :(

I read somewhere that it had the dual 2 core...or however you say it!

Thanks,

Jenn

I've narrowed down my choices to 2 laptops from Best Buy.

Sony for $479 vs. Toshiba for $399

From what I have read, the Toshiba has the better processor of the two as the Sony has an Intel Pentium Dual Core to the Toshiba's Intel Core 2 Duo. The Toshiba is not a doorbuster, but the Sony supposedly is (Can anyone confirm this? The "Doorbuster" logo isn't directly by the the Sony with Blu-ray but is by the other Sony Vaio).

The Toshiba does not have Blu-ray however. I was just wondering if somebody with computer knowledge had any input into this decision. Any help would be appreciated.

To simplify:

Sony Vaio vs. Toshiba Satellite

$479 $399

Blu-ray No Blu-ray

Slower processor Faster processor

4 GB Ram (but DDR2) 3 GB Ram (but DDR3)

Wait outside store Order online and avoid the crowds

Anybody have personal preference of the two brands? A few years ago I choose an HP at Best Buy on Black Friday over the Sony Vaio available. My HP has been falling apart, so I was also wondering what people's experiences with Toshiba and Sony has been.

I bought a Toshiba notebook several years ago. By far, that one was the most cheaply put-together computer we have ever had. The first day, the clip that holds it closed broke off with normal closing. After a few months, the usb ports started coming out WITH the usb cords that were plugged in when we tried to unplug them. After 1 year, the screen decided to get a line going across it for no apparent reason.

Granted, I purchased this computer back in 2004, and maybe since then they have changed how their products are made. But I'll never have another Toshiba.

Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally opened and set up my new laptop. It's the HP G60-549DX from Best Buy for $429.99 (still on sale online) and it's FAST! Even faster than my desktop with an Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo! Though it does have way more ram and Windows 7 so I'm sure that helps it be faster. ;) Here's the link if you want to take a look!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Pentium%26%23174%3B+Processor+-+Black/Silver/9601332.p?id=1218130741741&skuId=9601332

I think that is the same one I purchased for my son for Christmas. We haven't yet taken it out of the box. I'm glad to hear it is a good one. I know he'll be excited to get it.:)

I'm thinking of going with the 200 dollar E-Machine laptop because it has a decent integrated card on it. According to Notebookcheck's website, the HD 3200 is able to run Half Life 2 on high settings ~ 25 FPS. I think that all the thing needs to be a pretty serviceable laptop is an extra 2 gigs of RAM, some time spent to get rid of the bloatware, and some TLC. Anyone agree with me on this or am I just blowing smoke?

I really just want a system to run Team Fortress 2 after my last two systems fell apart... :gdcensored:

You are right the ATI hd3200 is one the better igp's out. In fact it's a lot better then any Intel graphics solution.

Well I understand your needs, I should caution you that all laptops that the website you referenced reviewed all had a dual core processor in them. This allowed them to get an average ~25FPS. Now I won't say with upgrading the memory in the emachines that it wouldn't handle the job but remember. The emachines is only a single core processor and that TF2 and a bit more power hungry than HL2: Lost Coast. Either way though I hope the laptop works out for you.