>>> Official Black Friday 2009 LAPTOP & NETBOOK Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

I know this is a long shot but do any of you know if Webkinz or club penguin will work on netbooks??

My daughter wants a netbook and the only things she does on line are those 2 "game" sites.

I was looking at a netbook and asked that same question on the woot forum - I was told no, the webkinz screen gets cut off and you end up not being able to play the games. I was told it works fine if you hook the netbook up to a monitor - but then what the point in getting a netbook?!? So am getting the oldest a laptop instead.

OK so I'm now thinking about the Acer Aspire (Dual Core 4GB/320GB), it looks like Office Depot and Radio Shack are offering the same one, but it is cheaper at OD (379.99), but if I can get from Radio Shack on line w/free shipping and the coupon, it might work out better and free up my BF for other shopping opportunities.

After reading a couple of reviews of the Acer 5517 from PCMag and elsewhere, the feel I'm getting from those is "yeah, its a solid low-end notebook, but don't expect much more than that." I think for most of us, it should be fine.

I'm still waiting to see what the other circulars look like when they get released. The discussion of the CNN Walmart BF story is over in the Walmart forum. The emachine laptop sounds about as low-end as it gets, but the HP for $298 may give the Acer deal a run for its money.

ASUS best, HP worst for notebook reliability

A new study published by SquareTrade revealed that the smaller name brand notebook manufacturers are usually more reliable than their larger rivals. Of the top nine, ASUS has the lowest tracked breakdown rate with fewer than 10 percent of its notebooks failing in the past two years. Toshiba, Sony and Apple also have better-than-average performance and are either just over or under the same figure.

The higher volume companies largely see significantly worse long-term prospects. While Dell is only slightly less reliable, failure rates jump significantly for Lenovo, Acer and its sub-label Gateway. HP fares the worst with about 16 percent of its portables breaking down.

Link to article quoted above.

Interesting read.

Anyone know if anyone will have a gaming notebook for BF? (Notebook with non-shared video card)? I have not seen one as of yet... In past BF's has anyone ever had a gaming notebook for BF?

If its the same one that Walmart has been selling for their Saturday "early bird" specials, the HP one is labeled as a "gaming" notebook, but I think that's really stretching the definition: it doesn't have the horsepower to run memory-intensive games AFAIK.

Probably a computer-dedicated store like Frys or CompUSA (what's left of them) would be more likely to have a higher-end system on sale for BF than a more general store like Walmart or BestBuy.

Is the emachine laptop from wm really a good deal?

Here the web page with specs on the $198.00 Emachines eme627:

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eME627-5279

Some basic spec:

Cpu: AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor TF-20 (1.6GHz, 512KB L2 cache)

Ram: 2 GB

Hard drive: 160 GB

Graphics: HD3200 IGP

Optical drive: Yes, DVD burner

My overall opinion on this laptop is that this makes a deceit starter laptop for a young kid or older person and also for use as a secondary laptop. It's plenty strong enough for what most people will use a laptop for, such as emailing, internet surfing, watching moving movies etc. Emachines laptop is made by Acer who owns Gatway and Emachines computers. Actually the cpu is stronger then a Intel Atom but is a full size laptop so the batt life wont be as good. I hope this helps!!

I have been using the Acer branded version of this emachine since May, I think. It came with Vista, but I installed the Windows 7 rc on it. I like it a lot. It is fine for netflix, flash, DVDs and Sims 3. How can you go wrong for $200?

So you can do facebook and all that stuff?Are there any sites you wont be able to do with this?What exactly is windows 7 compared to windows xp?

What exactly is windows 7 compared to windows xp?

In general, Windows XP will outperform Windows 7.

Windows 7's great advantages come in two main places:

1. Scalability. Windows 7 runs better on heavily multicore systems. However, it doesn't overtake Windows XP performance in most benchmarks until you're running an 8-core system, which to say the least you will not find in a consumer laptop anytime before 2015.

2. Direct X 11. Only important to high-end 3-D gamers. Windows XP will not run it.

Overall, Windows 7 is Vista, only much improved. I only run Win7 on my media center PC. Most laptops -- especially single-core -- will see a significant improvement in general performance and battery life running XP vs 7.

I was looking at a netbook and asked that same question on the woot forum - I was told no, the webkinz screen gets cut off and you end up not being able to play the games. I was told it works fine if you hook the netbook up to a monitor - but then what the point in getting a netbook?!? So am getting the oldest a laptop instead.

So glad I saw this! I'll definitely be getting DD a regular laptop then.

So you can do facebook and all that stuff?Are there any sites you wont be able to do with this?What exactly is windows 7 compared to windows xp?

Any computer you get should be able to surf the internet (i.e. Facebook and all that stuff) with no problems.

I would like to get 2 of the HP-G71's for $398 are they the same as the one at Sam's for $498?

From what I remember, no. I believe the one at Sam's had duel core, blu-ray and LED screen. The one at Wal-Mart has an Intel Celeron processor and didn't say anything about blu-ray..

LOL Ok I can start it tonight when I get home from work! :)

Plez jn i beg you.I guess what we are all asking is if we go cheap is it the same all expensive.We dont ned all this core and ram and stuff.We just want comp for the kids so they can surf the web and chat and stuff.We dont need movie downlods or music just basic web surfing.My DD justs ants a laptop to go online with.If the emachin will do that then so be it.I just dont want a laptop that doesnt do anything/

Plez jn i beg you.I guess what we are all asking is if we go cheap is it the same all expensive.We dont ned all this core and ram and stuff.We just want comp for the kids so they can surf the web and chat and stuff.We dont need movie downlods or music just basic web surfing.My DD justs ants a laptop to go online with.If the emachin will do that then so be it.I just dont want a laptop that doesnt do anything/

All laptops for sale will do what you are asking! Hopes this helps. So get what you want as for as price and brand goes.

All laptops for sale will do what you are asking! Hopes this helps. So get what you want as for as price and brand goes.

Yes, if your just getting a secondary computer for the kids then the $200 at Wal-Mart would probably do. As the price goes up so does the power and what you can do with it. If you don't have a duel core on your main computer and it's fine for you you don't need a duel core on your secondary either. Personally, I'm very impatient and want something FAST! That's why I got a duel core. I also will only buy an Intel Pentium processor, which none of the cheap laptops have on BF. I will work on the chart tonight. Just to let you know it won't be anywhere as fancy as others have made, just basic spec's all in one place. :)