Wal-Mart Threatens Legal Action Against GottaDeal.com

Brad

Why on earth would you bite the hand that feeds you that way!

Bear in mind this is WalMart. Wally is so dumb they tried doing away with prosecuting shoplifters. Sounds kinda like a dumb idea, huh?

WM isn't the smartest company in America. If it weren't for having the best inventory system known to man, WalMart would already be seeing losses.

I am just one person. And so is my mom. And my dad. And each of my two sisters. All avid WM shoppers who can't wait for the SuperTarget to open next spring just blocks way from us....WE CANNOT WAIT!!!

I am sorely disappointed in WM. I can't imagine their rationale (trade secrets on $3.44 DVDs? Please.), as you'd think someone would get that this early ad release is the one way to whet the appetite of their customers who, BTW, have scores of other stores to choose from that day (especially that morning). Whatever they are keeping secret this year and certainly next, as far as I'm concerned, they can keep it.

Well sent my email hope it helps because I like to know what store I'm going to.Well if walmart stops the ad here well walmart will not see me again Target will be the one.this is the best place to come and see who has what on sale.Thanks GD for being there and hope they see all the people that come here and might stop going there now.

I forwarded the email addresses and link to the story to everyone in my contact list...that's alot of people considering I am the contact person for about 6 student clubs and organizations at four schools here. That's about 300 parents all together not including friends and family. I am going to wake up tomorrow and call again and email again. Our WM finally got rid of the last of the Garth Brooks sets, but they had to clearance them at $5.00 to do it. And yeah, robes are not exactly what I'm looking for on BF. We are supposed to get a new Target and I am soooooo ready...then WM can truly kiss it!!! Just about everyone around here seems to be fed up with them.

I thought this was kinda funny. Quoted from the cnn story link on page 1 of this thread.

So it's not unusual for people to line up in front of stores as early as 4 a.m. to bag these special low prices on the season's must-have items.

Whoever wrote this obviously doesn't shop on BF. To line for at 4am for a sale that starts at 5am. :sidesplit

I am still trying to figure out why a coroprate law firm would email such a threat. I don't see that as very professional or reliable. If they had any form of case, they would serve papers prohibiting such publication of said ad.

Brad, have you checked with your attorney to see if an email is a legally binding advisement?

Thought I'd post two more direct contact numbers. One way to hit at them besides actual sales is through their stock. These are both contacts in investor relations. You may not know it but you all (more than likely) own Walmart stock. If you are invested in almost any well diversified 401K or 503B ect... Therefore you are a shareholder, if only a beneficial owner. Unless you are a registered owner just let them know that you are a beneficial owner and are very upset with their threats and how it will affect your investment.

I plan on calling tomorrow and letting them know that disappointing holiday sales results will push their dividends and stock price lower. Just try these two numbers and let them know that you expect good returns on your investment, as well as a place to get good deals and that by taking this type of action will only lead to bad publicity, analysts losing confidence in their 4th Q sales revenue and utimately disappointing sales results.

The more people that we can hit at high levels of the organization the better. These two contacts were on the press release for the September sales results so they have the ear of the Corporate Secretary and thereby the senior executives and board of directors. The more people who call as many people as possible within the organization and express their disappointment in this action the better!

Carol Schumacher, +1-479-277-1498

Anthony Clark, +1-479-277-9558

Brad, have you checked with your attorney to see if an email is a legally binding advisement?

I am going to keep the legal aspects of this private. But to clarify, yes, obviously there is a difference between a letter e-mailed from a lawyer and an official order from a court.

During the 4 years this site has been open similar things have happened with other retailers, so none of these tactics are "new".

The posts in this thread (and the replies to those posts) from one now-former member have been deleted. They were inflammatory and the member was basically trolling and trying to get everyone upset. This was the same member who was attacking other members in the Wal-Mart layaway thread. They have been banned from the site.

Once again everyone, keep e-mailing and calling. If you called today, call again tomorrow. Keep the pressure on them and don't let up. Thanks to everyone who has done something today :)

If anyone can find more direct phone numbers or e-mail addresses for the higher-ups at WM, that would also be awesome.

No phone numbers or e-mail addresses but it usually helps to contact key executives and here are some names:

http://investing.businessweek.com/businessweek/research/stocks/people/people.asp?symbol=WMT

http://www.walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=540

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/pr?s=WMT

Here is the email that I sent.

Good morning,

This may sound silly as it is only October and I am already chomping at the bit to prepare for the day after Thanksgiving. I look at the ads, planning what I can purchase for gifts and for myself.

I usually start my shopping experience at WalMart. This may change this year. I travel 400 miles by plane to be in a city that has stores. I am not at home to get the ads mailed to me, so I depend on sites such as Gottadeal to get my information.

I also share this information with coworker who can't travel to the city. I shop for five different families when I am in town. They depend on the ads I give them online for information. I would hate to see you lose these sales.

Good luck with the decisions your department needs to make.

Bear in mind this is WalMart. Wally is so dumb they tried doing away with prosecuting shoplifters. Sounds kinda like a dumb idea, huh?

WM isn't the smartest company in America. If it weren't for having the best inventory system known to man, WalMart would already be seeing losses.

For a company trying to do away with having shoplifters prosecuted they are awfully paranoid. My family and I was in Walmart tonight and as I browsed through the toddler clothing I noticed a wierdo bent over peeking around the corner and through the hairbands and umbrella rack. I honestly thought for a minute that he was a child molester freak that was watching young kids. I mean who does the 007 through Walmart, right?! Then I realized what was going on when I saw him going up whispering to a Walmart employee. They had these people scoping out shoppers trying to catch shoplifters. I can understand trying to catch shoplifters, but not when it's scaring the customers.:gdparanoid:

Also, I emailed Walmart about the whole legal action thing. I agree with whoever said that if they dont have the ad ahead of time then they wont be able to include them in their BF shopping experience. I plan my BF day as soon as all the ads post for stores I plan on visiting on BF. If there is no early ad here, then there will be no business from me. :razz:

my email to Walmart "Walmart becomes less customer friendly every day. I shop gottadeal.com every year for black friday and have my shopping list for black friday complete before the middle of November. If Walmart chooses not to be on this list that is your choice. Copyright infringement is a thin veil for intimidation. "

I also did not know you generated revenue from my shopping directly from your site. I will begin ordering from your site immediately.

For a company trying to do away with having shoplifters prosecuted they are awfully paranoid.

Actually, "tried" as in past tense. WalMart had a stretch that ended this summer where they were avoiding prosecution of shoplifters in a number of instances. For example, if the shoplifting was a low amount (below $20) or if the offender was young (16 or younger) they would not even ban the person from the store.

WM has since actually reversed course a full 180, and is now pushing stricter loss prevention policies. Oddly, WM still places more emphasis on monitoring employees than monitoring potential shoplifters. But, at the bare minimum they at least abandoned one of their stoopider ideas.

But, in a one year span WM actually managed to double its losses by way of theft. Turns out, all that monitoring was doing something. Who knew?

Point being: WalMart, not the smartest business on earth.

this totally bites.. Walmart is gonna lose alot of sales and customers. They just opened a new target in my city and i like the clothes and atmosphere alot better than MW. First they take Layaway away then the thrill of BF ads.. whats next WM.

add me to the email list if anyone finds the ad though

I am going to keep the legal aspects of this private. But to clarify, yes, obviously there is a difference between a letter e-mailed from a lawyer and an official order from a court.

During the 4 years this site has been open similar things have happened with other retailers, so none of these tactics are "new".

The posts in this thread (and the replies to those posts) from one now-former member have been deleted. They were inflammatory and the member was basically trolling and trying to get everyone upset. This was the same member who was attacking other members in the Wal-Mart layaway thread. They have been banned from the site.

Once again everyone, keep e-mailing and calling. If you called today, call again tomorrow. Keep the pressure on them and don't let up. Thanks to everyone who has done something today :)

:yay: Very good, Brad. You have to wonder about people that have nothing better to do than be a jerk.........ONWARD OUR MISSION!!! :gdenough:

I am still trying to figure out why a coroprate law firm would email such a threat. I don't see that as very professional or reliable. If they had any form of case, they would serve papers prohibiting such publication of said ad.

emails are legal documents, however, this was, as you put it, an advisement, not anything that could be considered binding....Still, for a law firm to send it via email.... seems... cheesy. You lose the nice letterhead effect, too.

Thank you to Wal-Mart for the extra hour of sleep. I will call and e-mail today. Also , Let`s flood them with post cards! Something like "No GottaDeal Ads For BF shows your full of BS!" LOL

Off To Target I Go :holiday01

Do they understand that even if only 50 of us that plan on say $600 for Wal-Mart go else where They will lose out on $30,000. How stupid and petty on their part!!!!!!

I have been checking the other BF sites (shame on me, I know) and they have been voicing the same concerns as us, but not quite as loud as we have. I have started posting on them, calling for solidarity in our complaining to W*lm*rt. Perhaps, if we all band together, we can send a strong enough message to them to make a difference.

Well, for me this could affect my decision to even go there. I mean-- I live within 15 miles of not 1 but 2 Walmarts. Yet, I don't get the Walmart ad's because we're a walking route. They don't come in our local newspaper. SO--- unless I see the BF ad here-- I won't know what is on sale. I think it's ridiculous.

I agree leefamily23. I live in 15 mile radius from 3 Walmarts and a 4th is getting built

even closer. I'm already not liking WM from years past, but tolerate them, but this

is going a bit overboard and I dont "have" to shop there.

I"m hoping all our emails and calls will make a difference. :)

I`m back and do my fingers hurt.

I just sent an e-mail to our news station and The Today Show. I included the links so they can see our concern first hand. If anyone wants to e-mail here is the today show contact e-mail.

[email protected]

I also sent the same e-mail to my contacts list!:gdparanoid:

We will have those ads ,OH YES we will have them!:g_good2ba LOL