Wal-Mart Threatens Legal Action Against GottaDeal.com

Brad

We recently received a letter via e-mail from the legal representatives of Wal-Mart. Basically they admitted that they are awful at keeping their information from getting leaked to GottaDeal.com and therefore are threatening to take legal action against the site even before the ad has been posted. At this point we have not decided whether or not the ad will be posted should we receive it early this year.

If you are like us and are disappointed with Wal-Mart's poor decision to threaten legal action against GottaDeal.com and other sites if their Black Friday ad is posted early, feel free to let them know how you feel. You can fill out the Wal-Mart Corporate Site Feedback Form or call them at 1-800-WAL-MART. Their media relations people can also be reached at 1-800-331-0085. Tell them you are unhappy with their decision and you'd like them to reconisider their stance on taking legal action against GottaDeal.com should their Black Friday ad be released early.

DO NOT POST PERSONAL HOME OR CELL PHONE NUMBERS OR HOME ADDRESSES OF WAL-MART EMPLOYEES IN THIS THREAD

That is ridiculous. If they really thought about this whole thing through, they would realize that its BIG PUBLICITY for them in the long run. If we cannot be allowed to view the ad before Thanksgiving when the ads come out, I can only hope this secrecy is worth it. I will be greatly disappointed if the ad is junk this year!

If you cannot post the ad Brad, I understand. You don't want to ruin the business side of your partnership with Walmart. Sad though they started this BEFORE the ad was leaked.

****OF COURSE I'LL TAKE A PM IF AND WHEN YOU GET THE AD :))

I just don't get it. Stores have long since made their decisions for Black Friday by the time ads leak out. It is not like all the other stores can suddenly beat Wal-Mart's prices. Walmart should be thanking GottaDeal for all the advertising they get. Instead they are biting the had that feeds them.

I sent an email. Please keep us updated Brad.

If you cannot post the ad Brad, I understand. You don't want to ruin the business side of your partnership with Walmart. Sad though they started this BEFORE the ad was leaked.

This is not about my partnership with Walmart - I'm not worried about that and will deal with whatever happens. I would suggest to those of you who would like to see the Black Friday ads continue to come out early that you contact Wal-Mart about this.

If this is allowed to happen with Wal-Mart, every other store could do the same thing and there would be no more early releases of Black Friday ads on any site.

I think this is crazy and will also be sending an email. Honestly, the early release of the ads is what gets me excited and out there. Wal-mart is usually at the top of my list to shop BECAUSE I've seen the ad early and can get my game plan together. I don't understand why they don't want the publicity. Yes, I know that gives competitors a leg up because they know what's coming and can try to out do them, but still.....

Yes, I know that gives competitors a leg up because they know what's coming and can try to out do them, but still.....

Their competitors' ads have already been designed as well. In many cases their competitors' ads come out before their own.

Agh. Okay, someone help me out. I went to try to email, but of course they want all of your info. My mom works at Wal-mart and I'm listed as her emergency contact and I just would rather them not have all that info. I know it's a long shot, but still....

So, for any of you who have called, did you have to give all that info too? If so I guess I'll just have to make something up or use my in-laws address or something.

Thanks!

In the past I have never received the Wal-Mart BF ad. Neither in the mail or in my newspaper, therefore I usually ended up there after the fact if I had money left after shopping stores for which I had seen ads.

The year I found this site was the first year, in a long time, Wal-Mart received a good part of my BF budget. (Only because I was able to see their ad, and saw items I wanted.)

I will be contacting Wal-Mart as well.

I will keep coming back here to gottadeal.com day after day even without BF ads!

I wonder if they realize their ad is terrible this year and they don't want people to have advance notice.

So would you be able to post "possible" Walmart items on sale without posting the actual ad? It seems the way the CNN article was worded, as long as you don't post the actual ad - you might be safe. Right? Hey - I don't need to see a picture as long as I have an idea of what the item is.

does the forum have a main database for all our emails when we registered? Is it possible to do a mass email w/ ad items? (thats for any store that threatens the site?) That way we still know the items, but its not posted. lol. There is always a loop hole in anything if you look/try hard enough :)

does the forum have a main database for all our emails when we registered? Is it possible to do a mass email w/ ad items? (thats for any store that threatens the site?) That way we still know the items, but its not posted. lol. There is always a loop hole in anything if you look/try hard enough :)

Someone from walmart could be registered here as well

So would you be able to post "possible" Walmart items on sale without posting the actual ad? It seems the way the CNN article was worded, as long as you don't post the actual ad - you might be safe. Right? Hey - I don't need to see a picture as long as I have an idea of what the item is.

I was wondering something about that as well. What about freedom of speech? If their ad is "copyrighted", then I can understand not being able to reproduce it under their threat. But what about a summary written by another person about what the ad said. How could that be "copyrighted"?

I was wondering something about that as well. What about freedom of speech? If their ad is "copyrighted", then I can understand not being able to reproduce it under their threat. But what about a summary written by another person about what the ad said. How could that be "copyrighted"?

From what I've seen in the past with other stores, it's a combination of the ad, plus just the pricing information. That is seen as being confidential, trade secrets, blah blah blah.

We'll figure something out if it comes to that. Ideally they'll reconsider now that the story has gotten out and they are going to be made to look pretty bad in a lot of people's opinions.

Just another reason not to shop at Walmart. My DH has warned me about shopping their b/c of this whole China thing. I shop Walmart b/c of the lower prices but Target is almost as low now so this might make me switch to Target for good. I've always noticed that Walmart won't stock things that the competitors have on sale for the week so there is nothing to price match. Sounds like they will do this more on bf as well. I don't understand that though b/c it is bringing in more business for them. Exactly right about biting the hand that feeds them. :mad:

:razz::mad::razz::no: This BITES big time!!! Around here you can't even get an ad before the sale short of giving up your first born. What a bunch of crap. Oh, well I am going to try and email them, but it's not like they actually give a crap about the customers or their opinions anymore anyway. Hope they decide to not be a bunch of douche bags this year Brad! But if they do, oh well, there's other stores.:yup:

I would imagine all companies have someone posted to cover forum chatter. One argument may be that consumers would curb spending in the weeks before BF hoping to get a better deal. WM choked last year so they are looking in their arsenal for a better solution this year.

While I understand, and even respect it from an economical standpoint, WM needs to see how being so anti-consumer will cost revenue in the long run. Now, I'm not saying this is going to put them out of business, but I know they're not going to see my money there this year.

Just from the last couple of years I've been out on BF, it seems there are few people (past the 1st 20 or so in line) that even know about site like this. WM & CNN just gave GD some good advertising, hopefully there will be a blurb on the national news soon.