GottaDEAL 2024 Prize Club Discussion Thread

Brad

8 hours ago, Kanyon71 said:

Happy belated birthday. The weather has been really good. Except all this rain. You didn’t birthday wish for rain did you? 🙂

Nope. I wished for good weather and Mother Nature delivered on Sunday. Was absolutely gorgeous. Win. 

• Like 2

I can’t believe we are almost all the way through April already, almost a third of the year gone by.  Just a little closer to Black Friday. I’m hoping for a much better one than the last few years, which I’m doubtful is going to happen. When I say “a much better one” I’m talking about the in-person shopping. Shopping online just doesn’t feel like Black Friday to me. I miss the days of rushing to the store, standing in line to get in (yes, I said it!!  LOL!!), trying to be the first to pick through the movies and games, rushing off to join another line to get the computer, tv, watch, whatever was on someone’s list that yeah. (Big Sigh). Anyone else prefer in person to online shopping?  Last year I bought a Ninja Foodie Toaster Oven Air Fryer online to pick up in the store at Kohl’s because I could get it with crossover stacking coupons and extra Kohl’s cash. Well a little while later I get an email saying my order was canceled because it was out of stock at the store, and since then, out of stock online too. Well, the next day I’m up bright and early, ok middle of the night, heading to Tulsa and to Kohl’s for a couple of other things, and when I got inside the store there was a stack of that oven right there on the floor.  So, not sure why my order was cancelled when they obviously had them, but that’s why I like in-person shopping, I know what I’m able to get right then and there and not think I’ve got something and then find it isn't so. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, marathonshopper said:

I can’t believe we are almost all the way through April already, almost a third of the year gone by.  Just a little closer to Black Friday. I’m hoping for a much better one than the last few years, which I’m doubtful is going to happen. When I say “a much better one” I’m talking about the in-person shopping. Shopping online just doesn’t feel like Black Friday to me. I miss the days of rushing to the store, standing in line to get in (yes, I said it!!  LOL!!), trying to be the first to pick through the movies and games, rushing off to join another line to get the computer, tv, watch, whatever was on someone’s list that yeah. (Big Sigh). Anyone else prefer in person to online shopping?  Last year I bought a Ninja Foodie Toaster Oven Air Fryer online to pick up in the store at Kohl’s because I could get it with crossover stacking coupons and extra Kohl’s cash. Well a little while later I get an email saying my order was canceled because it was out of stock at the store, and since then, out of stock online too. Well, the next day I’m up bright and early, ok middle of the night, heading to Tulsa and to Kohl’s for a couple of other things, and when I got inside the store there was a stack of that oven right there on the floor.  So, not sure why my order was cancelled when they obviously had them, but that’s why I like in-person shopping, I know what I’m able to get right then and there and not think I’ve got something and then find it isn't so. 

I've had that happen at Kohl's too. Very upsetting.

I like the online deals when I have to ship things though. I just wish they would honor all the online orders. Their computer systems know what they have so they shouldn't be cancelling orders.

I'm hoping for better deals this year too.

Chag Kasher v’Sameach Pesach!

Happy Passover!

Every few years, I host a Seder and invite folks to join us instead of cooking only for the three of us. So, I’ve been busy the past week preparing for the second night seder, and then cleaning up afterwards.  In total there were seven of us.

Unfortunately very few photos this year, as my timing was seriously late and we sat to table for second night Seder about an hour later than I told our guests. But, here’s what I served:

Appetizer served while guests arrived and I finished up what was needed to sit at table:
Homemade chopped liver with chopped eggs and TamTams

Ritual foods:
Parsley, arugula and romaine lettuce, horseradish, roasted egg, both Sefardi and Ashkenazi charoses, roasted shank bone, Shmurah matzah, salt water, various K4P wine and sparkling grape juice 

Main meal first course:
Hard cooked egg in salt water

Main meal salad course:
Gefilte fish with horseradish 
Cauliflower Tabbouleh-style salad

Main meal soup course:
Matzah ball soup with carrots, parsnip, and celery

Main meal entree:
Roasted turkey and a turkey breast roast for extra white meat
Gravy made from giblets and turkey drippings using chef Alex Guarnaschelli’s recipe for thickening with roasted onions and garlic
Garlic mashed potatoes 
Matzah farfel crockpot stuffing
Cauliflower tabbouleh-style salad for those who wanted more
Roasted asparagus 
Hollandaise sauce
Grandma Bessie’s matzah meal rolls

Beverages offered in addition to wines and sparkling grape juice:
Water
Iced tea
Mexican Coke (I couldn’t find yellow capped K4P Coke anywhere, so Mexican made only with natural cane sugar had to suffice)

Dessert:
Dark chocolate dipped coconut macaroons 
Matzah Caramel Crunch 

I had planned to make an adapted for Passover version of Pressure Luck Cooking’s noodle kugel, but ran out of time. I did make it last night, so I’ll share photos of it once we cut into it.

Eggs, onions, bell pepper, and potatoes courtesy of both International Nutritional Sustainability Partners and Hopelink, gathered over multiple weeks.

Except for the matzah, TamTams, Ashkenazi charoses, and the roasted asparagus, I made all of the food. Even the iced tea was brewed in the Instant Pot! The Askenazi charoses was made by a couple of guests, and my landlord made the asparagus, as he does that really well.

The only photos I took were of the desserts. I just ran out of time to get photos once everything was staged.

#MatzahChallenge

0413694A-45ED-4A19-9875-B33AAE541862.thumb.jpeg.cdeb71c82864158bef7a8de455d3466e.jpeg
Dark chocolate dipped Coconut Macaroons 

C0A69743-1E9E-480D-911A-73F38051AC57.thumb.jpeg.3dbc4d46d3bc7fc52a9f47d8b518338c.jpeg

Matzah Caramel Crunch

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thanks to a guest, here are a couple of photos from the second night Seder I prepared.

B149EB1D-8C64-4D8E-B8A4-62059EE4C75B.thumb.jpeg.88e21acbe98a84430bcbb7ae2371e773.jpeg

Seder plate in the center
Ashkenazi charoses in fat upper left
Sefardi charoses just to the upper left of the Seder plate
White grated horseradish (the strong stuff) to the upper right of the Sefardi charoses
Matzah ball soup with carrots, parsnip, and celery
Grated horseradish with beets

BB9EC626-4A77-4D9A-8E84-9F0C929D76B4.thumb.jpeg.6d8a95a33e13857bccad8790216ae814.jpeg
Clockwise from bottom left:
Basket of Grandma Bessie’s recipe for matzah meal rolls
Platter of white meat roasted turkey 
Platter of dark meat roasted turkey
Turkey gravy using chef Alex Guarnaschelli’s recipe which thickens the gravy using roasted onion and garlic 
Crockpot holding garlic mashed potatoes
(I forgot to turn it on once plugged in, so they were cold by the time we got to them)
Crockpot holding matzah farfel “stuffing”
(That crockpot was on, so the “stuffing” was warm)
Platter of George’s roasted asparagus 
Hollandaise sauce for the asparagus 
Cauliflower Tabbouleh-style salad 
(This really should have macerated far longer for the flavors to meld, but it sufficed) 

I also finally got the Kosher for Passover adapted noodle kugel made. I think it came out really well!

F6567497-CD9B-4B69-9112-2A6F13A7C29E.thumb.jpeg.4389b9eeeef55667a8344c147099f9cb.jpeg
Fresh out of the oven 

77C5C7EF-96A6-4208-A03A-BCC4017B7E28.thumb.jpeg.cdd6d05df89d189ebdc65de2a3e0643f.jpeg
Plated for storage

1D422A58-973F-4AD7-83DF-812EB1B25422.thumb.jpeg.4f5bed29b1ca1171e490cb5d638f0eab.jpeg
An interior shot showing how the Kosher for Passover egg noodles didn’t quite meld into the filling; it’s a bit chunkier than usual.11935ED1-F36A-46DB-8440-6F3A61B382FC.thumb.jpeg.7e6965e5df3d318f5fb2187c8945eebe.jpeg
However, the flavors were spot on if a bit dense in texture. All in all a great adaptation.
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

So I have it marked on my calendar to post on here for the 3rd of the month. I always think to myself, I'll do it tomorrow, and end up forgetting and posting at the end of the month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Rose0426 said:

So I have it marked on my calendar to post on here for the 3rd of the month. I always think to myself, I'll do it tomorrow, and end up forgetting and posting at the end of the month.

Better late than never!

• Like 1

Storms knocked out the picture on my TV Saturday night. I went back and read Len's post about how to choose a new TV from last Black Friday's forums, so I'll pick up a TCL Roku tomorrow to replace it.  I love this community.  (I'll also pick up a surge protector, because I'm the idiot that never thought about the TV needing one 🙄)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bopeep said:

Storms knocked out the picture on my TV Saturday night. I went back and read Len's post about how to choose a new TV from last Black Friday's forums, so I'll pick up a TCL Roku tomorrow to replace it.  I love this community.  (I'll also pick up a surge protector, because I'm the idiot that never thought about the TV needing one 🙄)

I have four of the 55" 4K UHD TCL Roku TVs in my home.  Two are seven years old and two are four.  One failed under warranty.  They sent a guy to my home to repair the television.

I happen to rely, primarily, on broadcast television.  Some things I like about these televisions...

• The Electronic Program Guide is a traditional grid style guide.  The data used to build the guide is pulled out of the RF transmission.  You do not need a service or even an internet connection to use this guide.
  • If you plug a 16GB usb stick into the television, you can pause, fast forward, or rewind up to two hours of programming.  This is great if you doze off, or stop watching for dinner, or really enjoy wardrobe malfunctions.
  • They are inexpensive.  
  • They are Rokus, so Pluto, Sling TV, FreeVee, Plex, Prime, Vudu, Tubi...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/822836388

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TCL-65-Class-4-Series-4K-UHD-HDR-Smart-Roku-TV-65S451/799842411

Happy Shopping!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday.  (words I don't want to hear on my flight to DFW Friday night ☹️ )

Happy May Day!  That is better.  Spring is in the air. 🌷🪴🌻

Happy International Workers Day!  (To all of us who work, today or any time.) 🧑‍🌾🧑‍🔧👨‍💻👩‍💻👩‍🏭

Edited by mcwalker
  • Like 3

This. Is. May.

Greatest month for us auto racing fanatics, culminating with the triple on Sunday, May 26th (F1 in the morning, Indy 500 around lunchtime, NASCAR's Coke 600 around dinner time). Those of us in Charlotte for the 600 will start our day watching F1, move to the race track and catch the 500 via the screens in various merch haulers (and on our phones), then enjoy the 600 from the stands. Long, crazy, fun day. 🙂

• Like 2