Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2013

Brad

I'm sorry if this has been asked in the past, but this was my first time experiencing the regular aisle items/"hidden finds" at 90% off. It was great! Is this a once-a-year type of event connected with 90% holiday seasonal clearance? I want to know if there's more fun in my future. :)

It's all been 'stickered' or red tagged at the stores around here. It is very rare that merchandise goes to 90% off when it has a red clearance sticker on it.

Advice would be appreciated: If you find items in clearance end caps that are NOT stickered or red tagged, do you run to the scanner to check it? Do you do this all-year-around or just during special clearance times? I've always thought they were mistakenly mixed in and placed with clearance. Thank you in advance for your help.

Advice would be appreciated: If you find items in clearance end caps that are NOT stickered or red tagged, do you run to the scanner to check it? Do you do this all-year-around or just during special clearance times? I've always thought they were mistakenly mixed in and placed with clearance. Thank you in advance for your help.

During holidays, if it doesn't have a sticker and it appears to be holiday themed, there is always a 'chance' it was just not shelved in with the holiday stuff or moved around. Although, not everything with a snowflake on it is meant to be clearanced!! The scanners at Target are great to double check. I know there are people who try to argue with the cashiers about how something "should" be marked down, but that won't always get you very far. I especially laugh when someone tries to take something that is scanning full price and get it for 90% off. And there are cashiers who will do it!! Amazing.

Anyway...

Holiday items (Christmas, Valentines, Easter, "Summer Season," Halloween) are really the only times that you'll see 90% on anything. Occasionally there are random stickers that pop up with strange pricing, but it's just the holidays for 90%.

Lots of shoppers dump stuff on the end caps, so finding something that isn't stickered even when it's next to a 50/70% off sign doesn't obligate Target to sell it to you for that. Unless there is an entire endcap full of the same item and clearly mis-signed. You might get somewhere with that argument!

For the most part, I just scan and avoid big scenes at the register over something's price. I wish more stores besides Target had scanners... like Dick's Sporting Goods! ... another topic :)

I'm beginning to wonder if toys will be marked down this week, too...it just seems so early (though I know it's typically this week). But if I were shopping for clearance toys, I would definitely be there tomorrow to check first thing in the morning!

I don't think I'm going this year (never thought I would say that). I probably will stop by after work or over lunch hour or something but honestly I didn't see a single thing that I thought my kids would HAVE to have. And I donated so many things that I bought last year b/c my kids were no longer "into" them. So I think my days of the toy clearance are just about over. Kids are getting too old and picky!! I loved the days of the toy clearance when the kids were 2 and 4 and loved anything and everything. :)

Good luck to all of you toy seekers!! Can't wait to see people's hauls!

My son will be almost 3 by the time Christmas rolls around next year. I'm hoping to find some good toys. Its hard to find toys for that transition time. There are very few toys for 18 months. What he plays with now is for 3+

This whole scavenger hunt thing is SO much fun, lol! Found some of the stuff you guys did, toothbrushes, Oreos, Scotch tape, tights, flannel shorts, accessories. Anyone think that the rest of the stuff that is "silver tagged" will get marked down lower? There are lots more accessories, clothes, shoes, etc with the silver tags but are clearanced at 30% off.

I'm sorry if this has been asked in the past, but this was my first time experiencing the regular aisle items/"hidden finds" at 90% off. It was great! Is this a once-a-year type of event connected with 90% holiday seasonal clearance? I want to know if there's more fun in my future. :)

In my experience there is some degree of fun to be had year-round, but this holiday was particularly fun, I agree (and usually holiday stuff is the only stuff that goes to 90). If you are in the market for toys, the upcoming toy clearance is loads of fun, hunting for unmarked clearance toys. With Valentines and Easter coming up there is a good chance of hidden finds up to 90% off in accessories, kitchen, home decor, grocery, etc. And of course there is always a chance of scoring deep-discounted one-of-a-kind internet return items or totally random clearanced items (some go straight to 70%, I have scored loads of batteries this way). Happy hunting!

If anyone sees the kids shopping cart that is red and teal get marked lower than 30% please let me know. My DS who is 20 months old got a different cheaply made one for Christmas and he loves pushing it around but it already has a crack in the plastic so I would love to get him one of those. There are quite a few of them at my stores but with the nasty flu bug that is in our area right now I am really hesitant to keep taking him out.

I was surprised to find that Christmas wasn't salvaged yet! I found a couple of purses and a lot of bracelets that were 90% in downtown Minneapolis in the women's accessories department. There was also a lot of movement in shoes. I am going to go back after lunch because they weren't done marking an aisle that had some I was eye-ing up and the team member marking them went to lunch. He would have just scanned them for me had I thought to look before he left. He offered to mark a couple of other pairs for me.

There was alot of movement in the toy department and all over the store yesterday with re-stocking and moving of stuff. They were consolidating the toys all in to one aisle as usual and resetting the entire toy department. I agree with not seeing much that caught my eye to go back after.

Yeah, I was getting REALLY excited about hunting for the toys (this is my first year needing them), but it seems hit and miss with the choices that each Target has. I agree having the pics of the items that wer found will be SUPER helpful when I venture out again.

There was alot of movement in the toy department and all over the store yesterday with re-stocking and moving of stuff. They were consolidating the toys all in to one aisle as usual and resetting the entire toy department. I agree with not seeing much that caught my eye to go back after.

Exactly the same here. Not much exciting.

Just got back from making a return. There were still a few hidden x-mas items ringing up 90% off. A lot of employees were working in the toy department. I overheard one say that they needed to bring carts full of toys from the backroom out, scan them and get them on the shelf. Maybe it will be 70% off tomorrow??? I saw a lot of toys on the shelf that had not been out before.

My local store markdown team manager told me that they only have 2000 items to mark tomorrow (that is a fairly small number for them) and that is way too small for toys to be on final markdown. There may be some, and there were definitely toys in the lineup, but she said it would not be the big day.

I was surprised Christmas wasn't salvaged yet too, but it will be tomorrow according to everyone there. One of my stores found a couple of repack boxes in back and I got some Nordic Ware Spatulas and whisks. I missed the NW bowls and Glad paper plates, but can't complain.

My local store markdown team manager told me that they only have 2000 items to mark tomorrow (that is a fairly small number for them) and that is way too small for toys to be on final markdown. There may be some, and there were definitely toys in the lineup, but she said it would not be the big day.

I was surprised Christmas wasn't salvaged yet too, but it will be tomorrow according to everyone there. One of my stores found a couple of repack boxes in back and I got some Nordic Ware Spatulas and whisks. I missed the NW bowls and Glad paper plates, but can't complain.

Which is your local store?

Has anyone had experience with a store closing? Ours seem to be consolidating down fairly quickly and lots of items are on clearance (lots of bare shelves too, like they are slowly moving things towards the front of the store) Are there items that they move to other stores, or do they clearance everything? And, how big of a clearance percentage do they go to? (Should I hold out, or maybe not so much?) There are several other stores in our area, they are just all farther away (and I dont like them or shop at them nearly as much, they arent even set up the same. This will leave only a WalMart close, and it is a super dirty gross ghetto walmart!)

So excited, I found some of the Stacy's naked pita chips in the holiday packaging in the regular snack aisle! Yeah! 29 cents a bag and I found three. They don't expire until May, either. I'm going to buy some of those snack sized hummuses at Costco and make my own snack packs. Found a bunch of other stuff too, like more elf nail polish (.19) in the makeup clearance bin and some candle holders and vases (.40 - 1.69) in the regular candle aisle.

So excited, I found some of the Stacy's naked pita chips in the holiday packaging in the regular snack aisle! Yeah! 29 cents a bag and I found three. They don't expire until May, either. I'm going to buy some of those snack sized hummuses at Costco and make my own snack packs. Found a bunch of other stuff too, like more elf nail polish (.19) in the makeup clearance bin and some candle holders and vases (.40 - 1.69) in the regular candle aisle.

Yay, good for you! I looked for them but no luck. Which Targets do you normally shop at? My local Targets are Irving 635 and Lewisville off of 121. Found some rattles today but other than that the stores were wiped out clean of clearance. Was really hoping to find the Tonka trucks for my little one but didn't see any, there were also way too many employees in the toy aisles stocking/marking down/consolidating so I didn't get to really look look.

Has anyone had experience with a store closing? Ours seem to be consolidating down fairly quickly and lots of items are on clearance (lots of bare shelves too, like they are slowly moving things towards the front of the store) Are there items that they move to other stores, or do they clearance everything? And, how big of a clearance percentage do they go to? (Should I hold out, or maybe not so much?) There are several other stores in our area, they are just all farther away (and I dont like them or shop at them nearly as much, they arent even set up the same. This will leave only a WalMart close, and it is a super dirty gross ghetto walmart!)

one of our store closed couple of years back.. they opened a new bigger one nearby .....they did not clearance everything....but towards the end they were giving extra 50%-70% on already reduced merchandise. i remember picking up good deals in shoes at the time. They usually have a fixed date when the store would be closed. look for signs near the entrance.

Here's the dates for my store for the last several years.......

Toys 08

Thursday, Jan. 10th, 2008 = 75%

Toys 09

Thursday, Jan. 15th, 2009 = 75% on MOST toys some still 30-50%

Thursday, Jan. 29th, 2009 = 75% on remaining toys

Toys 10

Friday, Jan. 15th, 2010 = 75%

Toys 11

Thursday, Jan. 13th, 2011 = 75%

Toys 12

Thursday, January 12th, 2012 = 70%

I'm not as sure about them going tomorrow as I was before, simply because in the past there have always been some stores that go on Wed. However, I'm still going to check because I would be so sad if I missed it!

Just an FYI: Our Target had an Alice and Olivia bike, which D LOVED...but they wouldn't sell it to us (it was red tagged--slight tear in the seat and a couple of other minor issues). We ordered it online with DH's red card--free shipping and 5% off. I was worried, online it says it's a 19 " bike. Too small for D (she's a college freshman). It arrived today, and it the 28" bike. DD and DH are assembling it now, it will go back to college with her this weekend. It's a great bike for $150.

I ordered a Kryptonite lock for it.....