Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

Maybe it's a tech geek thing then because on sites like Android Central, Droid Life, even some of the Apple fan sites, they always talk about how it's dorky to use the rear camera on a tablet. Maybe we are just such geeks about technology that we don't want to seem even geekier/dorkier than we already are.

Lol maybe;-) Seeing from our side having a big screen to record on we dont miss what is going on while we record. I have always video recorded my kids activities but usually had to wait until we got home to see what we missed. Now we have thw best of both worlds. Plus the kids like watching themselves on the tablet on the way home.

See I disagree with you. There are so many who use the rear facing camera. Just come to a swim meet, football game, basketball etc. Using the rear facing allows us to really see what is going on as well as record. Our house also has the Asus and we have been using the rear camera way more than front camera.

I was just about to post the same type of disagreement. I absolutely dont think a rare camera on a tablet is ridiculous. And as far as the sd card slot goes, that is no only used for expanding memory but as a quick way to transfer info (if you are not have a bluetooth option available). I know you can also use the data transfer cords, but being able to transfer as well as store on the sd card is certainly something to think about. But to each its own.

I also liked the Nexus but the chose the Tab2 over it because it has 2 cameras and you can increase the storage via a microsd card. We use the rear facing camera as a video camera especially when the kids are swimming in meets.

Yep, my same thoughts. And as I've said previously, I really really like mine.

Lol maybe;-) Seeing from our side having a big screen to record on we dont miss what is going on while we record. I have always video recorded my kids activities but usually had to wait until we got home to see what we missed. Now we have thw best of both worlds. Plus the kids like watching themselves on the tablet on the way home.

I guess I could see stuff like that. The fan sites usually talk about it in the context of just randomly walking around and seeing something that you want to take a picture of and pulling out your 10 inch tablet just to take the picture.

yep...here too!!

Anyway, back to answeing questions.

I have been getting a lot of great ideas from this thread. I don't mean to throw another table into the mix but, any thoughts on the Lenovo® IdeaTab™ A2109 Tablet, 9", 16 GB? It is going to be $199 at office depot bf. Thinking about getting a tablet for my parents, but since they are older, I thought a bigger screen size would be better. Thanks!

For older people that may not be concerned about stuff like always getting the latest software updates I think this would be a good tablet. In all honesty I'm not sure what Lenovo is like in terms of their firmware and software updating, they may actually be pretty good, but I just know that Asus has the best track record of maintaining their tablets. I am definitely trying to get larger tablets for the older people on my list. It's just a matter of finding them at a reasonable price.

What do you think the best Android tablet under $100 is? I don't know most of these brands so I'm having a hard time figuring out which one is the best deal. Looking to get one for a mother in law to skype with her grandkids.

For under $100? I'm not sure. I mean as long as it says it can Skype they should all work. I'm a bit more picky and I tend to project that onto the people I'm buying for. Like for instance I would never buy an Android tablet that doesn't have access to Google Play. Now the people I'm buying for may not care about that as long as they can get apps and games, but since I know so much about the limitations of certain tablets and the way Google wants the eco-system, I have a hard time buying the $50-$80 "Android" tablets. The tablets that Sears and Kmart have in their Black Friday ads are ones that I would buy though. In fact I'm looking to buy the Mach Speed Trio Stealth 9.7 inch tablet.

The newly released Google Nexus 10 even has a front camera, so it seems even Google learned from the Nexus 7 that the front camera may actually be a wanted spec on a tablet.

Google doesn't exactly create the specs. Google gives the manufacturer the price point they want to come in at and tells them to give them the best they can for that price point. Samsung has had rear cameras on all of their tablets and Google didn't exactly give them an ultra low price point to try to keep it under so the rear camera probably wasn't even discussed and Samsung just put it in there.

Speaking of Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0.....does anybody have a good recommendation for a case for kids? They did release the new otterbox cases, but those are $80 bucks a piece! I do like that style better than a fold over case, but not at that price.

Anybody? Anybody?

For under $100? I'm not sure. I mean as long as it says it can Skype they should all work. I'm a bit more picky and I tend to project that onto the people I'm buying for. Like for instance I would never buy an Android tablet that doesn't have access to Google Play. Now the people I'm buying for may not care about that as long as they can get apps and games, but since I know so much about the limitations of certain tablets and the way Google wants the eco-system, I have a hard time buying the $50-$80 "Android" tablets. The tablets that Sears and Kmart have in their Black Friday ads are ones that I would buy though. In fact I'm looking to buy the Mach Speed Trio Stealth 9.7 inch tablet.

What do you think of the HKC at Walmart for $99 right now?

HKC LC07740 with WiFi 7" Touchscreen Tablet PC Featuring Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) Operating System, Black:

Technical Specifications:

1GHz processor

1GB of system memory and 8GB on-board storage memory

7" touchscreen, 800 x 480 resolution

Built-in WiFi

Additional Features:

Front webcam

Micro USB port

8GB on-board storage memory, up to 32GB additional memory via microSD card slot

Up to 5 hours of run time on a full charge

Weighs 0.5 lbs; 4.75" x 7.55" x 0.375" dimensions

Software and Applications:

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS

Google Play (for applications

Gmail, Google Maps, YouTube, Google Books, Google+, Google Earth, Google Voice, Google Finance

Twitter, Facebook, AccuWeather

I am looking at the tablet from Walmart for my 9 y/o... right now.. we do good to keep the remotes off the floor and not broken... so Im not ready to invest in a kindle fire... which is what i would really like to get him... so... I was thinking a smaller cheaper tablet first.. to see how he was with it.. then look at the kindle fire for his bday... in the summer...

Is the tablet in the walmart ad going to let him... play games.. watch movies... and read books... we travel to watch basketball... all winter... track meets in the spring... and gym... all summer long... HELP!!!!... Im tablet clueless!!!!

Phew, I've read through every post & learned a lot. Before starting in really couldn't figure out the point of a tablet. My 14 yo ds made fun of me & said it's like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory trying to learn about sarcasm. It seems to me that it's like a large smart phone without the phone.

I am looking for something for my 11 yo ds. I just was looking for an ereader & was interested in the $40 Nook on BF (if memory serves its @ Sears) However, some in here significantly prefer the Kindle options. I didn't want him having apps. He has a DS & I want to know he's reading if he has his tablet. Plus, we don't even have internet at our house as we're out in the sticks.

Is a tablet better so I can get both the Kindle & Nook apps or is that really overkill if I only want it for reading?

I have 4 boys & really am not looking to buy each a tablet. However, if one gets something to play games I'll be the least popular person on earth with the other 3!

Phew, I've read through every post & learned a lot. Before starting in really couldn't figure out the point of a tablet. My 14 yo ds made fun of me & said it's like Sheldon on Big Bang Theory trying to learn about sarcasm. It seems to me that it's like a large smart phone without the phone.

I am looking for something for my 11 yo ds. I just was looking for an ereader & was interested in the $40 Nook on BF (if memory serves its @ Sears) However, some in here significantly prefer the Kindle options. I didn't want him having apps. He has a DS & I want to know he's reading if he has his tablet. Plus, we don't even have internet at our house as we're out in the sticks.

Is a tablet better so I can get both the Kindle & Nook apps or is that really overkill if I only want it for reading?

I have 4 boys & really am not looking to buy each a tablet. However, if one gets something to play games I'll be the least popular person on earth with the other 3!

If you only want it for reading, get the Kindle. Although Amazon did just push (or is about to push) a software update to the Kindle Fire that allows you to limit activities on it. So like you could make it so your son can only play games for 1 hour a day on the tablet and yet let him have unlimited reading access.

Please please don't buy one of those no name tablets for under $200. They are completely worthless.

I had no idea that the new Kindle Fire was going to be $160! DD wants one and at that price I may get DS one too. :) I don't suppose they will be any cheaper before Xmas?

Ughhhhhhhh we bought one of those "$79" jobs last year for DD and have to sit next to wireless router to get spotty service and it takes forever to load EVERYTHING. We are getting her a new one for her birthday in January so I am reading links now for the better deals!

Ughhhhhhhh we bought one of those "$79" jobs last year for DD and have to sit next to wireless router to get spotty service and it takes forever to load EVERYTHING. We are getting her a new one for her birthday in January so I am reading links now for the better deals!

Over the last 6-8 months the cheaper tablets have become a lot better. They are now using the ARM processors as the single core processors have plummeted in price and because of that, a lot have access to the Google Play store. I've bought 2 tablets for under $100, one was a 7 inch one and the other was a 9 inch one and both of them have been great so far (I've been testing them as I got them in August). As long as they have Google Play access, I have no issues buying the cheaper tablets for family members who don't care about an HD screen, a quad-core processor, or GPS; which actually ends up being everyone. I'm the only one that cares about that type of stuff.

Boy by the looks of this thread tablets are going to be the hot item this year! :) So kept reading more and more about the Nabi 2 and how folks aren't happy with it (some). To keep my options open, what are some other tablets/brands that are capable of withstanding a 3 to 4 year old? As a caveat, he uses my husband's very thin Samsung Galaxy II with no problems and has used an Ipad before - I'm just concerned about him dropping it (I have a Kevlar-type case around my phone, for example).

Looking at a Samsung Tab for DD11 and he'll just have to access Nick Jr using the internet browser or something. He says "santa can bring both the Vtech and an Ipad mamma - it's a big sleigh you know". LOL Yeah, mamma's not doing that.

Thanks so much everyone.

Oh, anyone looking for an alternative to the Nexus 7 with a microSD card slot check out the Acer Iconia Tab a110. I can't believe I forgot about this one. I got my wife the a100 back in February and it works really well. Acer has some issues with the 10 inch tablets (overheating, stuttering, freezing, etc), but we've had no issues with the 7 inch.

Boy by the looks of this thread tablets are going to be the hot item this year! :) So kept reading more and more about the Nabi 2 and how folks aren't happy with it (some). To keep my options open, what are some other tablets/brands that are capable of withstanding a 3 to 4 year old? As a caveat, he uses my husband's very thin Samsung Galaxy II with no problems and has used an Ipad before - I'm just concerned about him dropping it (I have a Kevlar-type case around my phone, for example).

Looking at a Samsung Tab for DD11 and he'll just have to access Nick Jr using the internet browser or something. He says "santa can bring both the Vtech and an Ipad mamma - it's a big sleigh you know". LOL Yeah, mamma's not doing that.

Thanks so much everyone.

Where are you hearing problems with the nabi 2? I've heard nothing but good things about it and am hoping to get the walmart deal on it for my kid.

Oh, anyone looking for an alternative to the Nexus 7 with a microSD card slot check out the Acer Iconia Tab a110. I can't believe I forgot about this one. I got my wife the a100 back in February and it works really well. Acer has some issues with the 10 inch tablets (overheating, stuttering, freezing, etc), but we've had no issues with the 7 inch.

Not happy with Acer. DD got the Acer500 last Christmas and we LOVE the tablet, no problems and yes its a 10inch. Not happy that Acer has decided to no longer upgrade after 4.0 ice cream sandwich. Irs now the forgotten tablet... Would be afraid they would do it again.

Not happy with Acer. DD got the Acer500 last Christmas and we LOVE the tablet, no problems and yes its a 10inch. Not happy that Acer has decided to no longer upgrade after 4.0 ice cream sandwich. Irs now the forgotten tablet... Would be afraid they would do it again.

The difference is that the a500 is a dual-core tablet. The a110 is a quad-core. The a700 is their replacement for the a500. I was going to get the a700, but read too many bad reviews about it. Their 7 inch tablets are great though.

The issue I have with Samsung is that it takes them forever to update any of their items. They are always one of the last to update because of all of the stuff they have to do with Touchwiz. Plus the Galaxy Note 10.1 is the only tablet Samsung has that's a quad-core tablet and the screen on it isn't as good as the Asus TF700. The only reason I even got a Samsung phone is because it is the Galaxy Nexus so it gets updated by Google and not Samsung.

Edited by Ajshope

At least with Samsung they do update. Acer seems to just drop their product whenever. My Tab2 will be a 2nd tablet to take with me out. My main will be the Asus 10". I have the Samsung Galaxy S3 and love it even though I dot have Jelly Bean yet :) As I said I did like the Nexus tablets, and I would have gotten it over the Tab 2 if it had a rear facing camera and the microsd slot. 32gb is not that big when you are doing a lot of video recording... I like having the option to expand with the sd cards. THis is one of the reasons I really don't like Apple, and even the Kindle Fire. I don't want to buy something that I am limited if I want to do something.

The difference is that the a500 is a dual-core tablet. The a110 is a quad-core. The a700 is their replacement for the a500. I was going to get the a700, but read too many bad reviews about it. Their 7 inch tablets are great though.

The issue I have with Samsung is that it takes them forever to update any of their items. They are always one of the last to update because of all of the stuff they have to do with Touchwiz. Plus the Galaxy Note 10.1 is the only tablet Samsung has that's a quad-core tablet and the screen on it isn't as good as the Asus TF700. The only reason I even got a Samsung phone is because it is the Galaxy Nexus so it gets updated by Google and not Samsung.

I have 2 questions..part one: aside from

debating the 1 or 2 camera and the expandable memory/No SD card slot factors, is there anything that the Samsung Galaxy Tab can do that the Google Nexus 7 cannot? I am still thinking I want to pick up the

Nexus..unless someone tells me FOR INSTANCE "The Samsung can do this fantastic thing but the Nexus cannot"

2Nd question: do the Kindle Fires come with a protective or do I need to purchase 1-i mean screen protector film