Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

I just bought a 7" Uniden tablet with 4.0 ice cream sandwich at Big Lots for $60. It is toooo cool! Touchscreen. Have my kindle & audible.com apps on. Tons of apps. Google browsing. Battery life is good. Haven't watched a movie yet but plan to check that out tomorrow. Can use up to a 32GB micro SD card for added memory. Also has a front face camera. Lightweight so you can hold it to read without it breaking your hand/arm after awhile. Great deal! They go on sale tomorrow. I just happened to get one at the sale price early.

So I think I'm still going with the Nexus...just have to ask dh if he thinks the 7 or 10 for our 7 yo...for the little difference in $$, and the rear camera too, I think that's what I'd prefer...was considering Galaxy 2 based on some recommendations here, but I see in further reading, that the Nexus got better reviews all around, so I'm sticking with my original choice. I currently have an iPod Touch, as does my dh, so I know how iTunes works, but since this is Android, do they make Android gift cards like they do iTunes? I was thinking if they did, I could get ds one of them, so he can get some apps...I don't want to put in my cc info so that we can just add apps whenever, because I'm always afraid they'll learn my password and go nuts buying apps, LOL!

For Android tablets you would get Google Play store cards. Just to let your l\know the Nexus only has a front facing camera (ie for skype etc) not a rear facing to take video. That is one of the main reasons (that and you cannot expand the memory) I wont get the Nexus. I really like it and it has wonderful review but one of the things we use tablets for is for recording our kids swim meets. It works really good because we can see what is going very well while recording.

So I think I'm still going with the Nexus...just have to ask dh if he thinks the 7 or 10 for our 7 yo...for the little difference in $$, and the rear camera too, I think that's what I'd prefer...was considering Galaxy 2 based on some recommendations here, but I see in further reading, that the Nexus got better reviews all around, so I'm sticking with my original choice. I currently have an iPod Touch, as does my dh, so I know how iTunes works, but since this is Android, do they make Android gift cards like they do iTunes? I was thinking if they did, I could get ds one of them, so he can get some apps...I don't want to put in my cc info so that we can just add apps whenever, because I'm always afraid they'll learn my password and go nuts buying apps, LOL!

So I think I'm still going with the Nexus...just have to ask dh if he thinks the 7 or 10 for our 7 yo...for the little difference in $$' date=' and the rear camera too, I think that's what I'd prefer...was considering Galaxy 2 based on some recommendations here, but I see in further reading, that the Nexus got better reviews all around, so I'm sticking with my original choice. I currently have an iPod Touch, as does my dh, so I know how iTunes works, but since this is Android, do they make Android gift cards like they do iTunes? I was thinking if they did, I could get ds one of them, so he can get some apps...I don't want to put in my cc info so that we can just add apps whenever, because I'm always afraid they'll learn my password and go nuts buying apps, LOL![/quote']

Yup, you can get Google Play Store cards and Amazon cards.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDeal

Can anyone tell me if I have to link a credit/debit card to the Kindle? I've done research and most everyone says you do. This is one of the main reasons I am thinking of selling mine or sending it back. I was going to give it to my 6 year old, but I am not comfortable doing that. I also am wondering if anyone just has one of the silicone type cases on it and how well it works.

I do't know if the Kindle fire works the way the Kindle ereader works, but I don't have a credit card hooked up to DD14 ereader she got lat year. I have it set up to her email address account on Amazon (did not want her reading my books) and will put gift cards on there for her. If she uses the cards up until I replace she cannot buy books. Its worked that way for a year now.

Can anyone tell me if I have to link a credit/debit card to the Kindle? I've done research and most everyone says you do. This is one of the main reasons I am thinking of selling mine or sending it back. I was going to give it to my 6 year old' date=' but I am not comfortable doing that. I also am wondering if anyone just has one of the silicone type cases on it and how well it works.[/quote']

Yes you need a credit card linked to it but you need one linked to the Google Play Store in other tablets too. You can set up a password to buy apps and stuff though. This is one reason why some kids are just too young for tablets. Just cuz they can use them doesn't mean they should. Especially the 3 year olds. My friends son spent $300 on her iPad in one day. She got it refunded but it was still a hassle.

Both my kids have had tablets for almost a year an Asus and Acer and they do not have a credit card associated with their Google Play accounts. If they want to buy something they have to let me know and I put in my information at checkout. They rarely purchase, but they do download free apps all the time with no problems. My credit card information is NOT saved on their tablets or in their Google Play accounts. I think you should be able to set up the Kindle fire the same way I set up my Daughter's Kindle ereader.

Yes you need a credit card linked to it but you need one linked to the Google Play Store in other tablets too. You can set up a password to buy apps and stuff though. This is one reason why some kids are just too young for tablets. Just cuz they can use them doesn't mean they should. Especially the 3 year olds. My friends son spent $300 on her iPad in one day. She got it refunded but it was still a hassle.

You don't have to have a credit or debit card that is actually hooked to a bank account. My son hooked a prepaid american express. It just has to have an expiration date. His is actually empty, but it doesn't even matter. It is just to prove that you live in the united states. That is it's only purpose. He still uses gift cards to buy everything. It's only for buying the apps because apps can't be purchases outside the united states and the card is the only way to prove it. His brother had given him that prepaid american express for his birthday and it had an expiration of 2019, so he just added it for his required card. HE can now get all the daily free apps and if he wants to buy one he adds a gift card .

I do't know if the Kindle fire works the way the Kindle ereader works, but I don't have a credit card hooked up to DD14 ereader she got lat year. I have it set up to her email address account on Amazon (did not want her reading my books) and will put gift cards on there for her. If she uses the cards up until I replace she cannot buy books. Its worked that way for a year now.

Just FYI Sears.com and Kmart.com have the Samsung Galaxy Tab2 for $170.99 right now!!! It for shipping only. I just ordered from them. You will see the price @ checkout.

http://www.sears.com/samsung-7-8221-galaxy-tab-2-with-wi-fi/p-00331971000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Remember to sign into your SYWR to earn points back...

I can see the prices going DOWN :cheesy:

I have a credit card on DD kindle, but all purchases are password protected

This is what I do also. Even the free apps need password approval. But I'm not sure if it stops them from buying in-game content. Anyone know? After my son spent $30 in in-game content one day I added the password approval and he has been very careful since then, so I'm not sure.

HOw about this one thru Amazon its purple $9.85 sold by Crazyondigital thru amazon so I would not have to pay tax

http://www.amazon.com/CrazyOnDigital-Leather-Samsung-Galaxy-Purple/dp/B007X6FDYC/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1353270056&sr=8-10&keywords=samsung+galaxy+Tab+2+case

Also keep an eye out for 5 Below I got alot of cases there last year for $5 a piece. I needed 2 10inch cases. 2 ereader cases.

I FINALLY DID IT, :2wiggle:

I made a decision!! I got the Samsung Galaxy 2 7 inch on the way to my house! and the other 2 kindles for gifts and :gdnum1: I am freakin' happy the stress is OVER! ...

well except to find best case for galaxy, lol...

For Android tablets you would get Google Play store cards. Just to let your l\know the Nexus only has a front facing camera (ie for skype etc) not a rear facing to take video. That is one of the main reasons (that and you cannot expand the memory) I wont get the Nexus. I really like it and it has wonderful review but one of the things we use tablets for is for recording our kids swim meets. It works really good because we can see what is going very well while recording.

I know the Nexus 7 has only the front camera, but I thought I read here that the Nexus 10 has both cameras? I was skimming, so I may have mis-read that, but in any event, dh wants me to go by reviews, and our ds IS only 7, so we don't need all of the bells and whistles, and we really don't *need* expandable memory for him...the Nexus 7 was what I was sold on, once I moved from the Nabi 2, until I started reading here, so I'm gonna go with my gut... ;)

Thanks all for the input on the Google Play card--I will pick up one of those as well... ;)

FYI, Costco had their BF prices on the Galaxy Tab2 both online and in the stores. Got a 10.1" for $279 (after $100 off). The 7" was somewhere in the $177 range I think. Just checked their online and it appears to have vanished. Be careful as the online prices were $20 more for some reason.

'":

Ice Cream Sandwich is Android 4.0 and Jelly Bean is Android 4.1 (I think its the latest) It is the operating system for the Android tablet

Thank you! I didn't know what the difference was...why can't they just be simple, and use numbers, LOL?!

They go in alphabetical order so it started with A then B then C and so on up to J, Jelly Bean. :)

I never thought about them being alphabetical until you said so:

Jelly Bean 4.2 November 13, 2012 (Most Current)

Ice Cream Sandwich

Honeycomb

Gingerbread

Eclair

Donut

Cupcake

I wonder what dessert will be next..lol! xD