Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

So I read through the whole thread and mostly people are talking about the fire or nabi 2 my question is I am buying 3 tablets for my nieces and nephew ages 6,8,11 now my question is I see some tablets that are off brand but have google play store the reason I'm thinking those instead of a name brand tablet is that right now my sil isn't speaking to me loooooong story and even though I know this is what the kids want I'm nervous she won't allow them to actually use the gift to try to get back at me ( she is a little ok a lot crazy ) and then I would have wasted a few hundred dollars. But I want them to have something they can play games on and surf the net if they so choose.

So the 8gb of memory will be enough for games and books too for her? Is it worth it to upgrade to the $199 for the added memory?

You get a lot more than memory for the extra $40. You'll especially appreciate the really good speakers and the HD screen is beautiful. I would get the HD if your budget allows.

Scroll down this page for a comparison.

Edited by len_mullen

If I was buying an off brand, I would not do it unless it was the Pandigital. I bought my 3 grandkids Pandigitals from walmart for 49, list price was 140. CNet reviews said of all the low cost tablets, they were the best. I gave my grandson his already for his bday and he loves it. He is 10.

So I read through the whole thread and mostly people are talking about the fire or nabi 2 my question is I am buying 3 tablets for my nieces and nephew ages 6,8,11 now my question is I see some tablets that are off brand but have google play store the reason I'm thinking those instead of a name brand tablet is that right now my sil isn't speaking to me loooooong story and even though I know this is what the kids want I'm nervous she won't allow them to actually use the gift to try to get back at me ( she is a little ok a lot crazy ) and then I would have wasted a few hundred dollars. But I want them to have something they can play games on and surf the net if they so choose.

If I was buying an off brand, I would not do it unless it was the Pandigital. I bought my 3 grandkids Pandigitals from walmart for 49, list price was 140. CNet reviews said of all the low cost tablets, they were the best. I gave my grandson his already for his bday and he loves it. He is 10.

Thanks I'll look into this one

When did this start? and did they give an explanation why? So then most of the US doesn't pay sales tax for Amazon, but PA does? I am so :gdangry4: reading this now!

and 1 more ?, if KFire goes down in price, say 1-2 week after pre-order is finally delivered, would any credit be given?

I am not sure...but I think it happens when there is a physical warehouse in that state. We just got a big amazon warehouse in indiana and I bet it is in effect now too...although I haven't ordered anything this month so I again I am not sure.

This is correct...it started in September, because I was sure to place one final order w/o tax the day before it took effect...they have warehouses here in PA, which I know they've had, because I've gotten things the next day that were only in Chambersburg, (I am in Lancaster county), so I don't know how they got away with it for as long as they did, but it DOES suck that we pay tax now... :(

Edited by stacya

Is "almost 3 years old" too young for a tablet? What can they use it for at age 3 but still grow into it for a few years? I imagine one of the taboo or leappad wont be as interesting to them in 2 years when they can fully use and iPad or Android tablet so I think im leaning to an Android, but maybe wait one more year?

In my opinion yes. 2 years old is too young for a tablet. I'd get a LeapPad or Innotab personally. Technology only lasts a few years anyway. I'm getting my 12 and 7 yo Kindle Fires for Xmas. But hey if you have the money to waste then why not I guess.

IMO, exactly this...I have a 3 yo DD who is getting a LeapPad...she uses my Touch, but I still have to set her up with it, and she has trouble navigating throughout the app she's using, and sometimes nearly deletes my apps, or moves them around, so if I get her something that is just "hers," she can stop messing with mine...wouldn't even consider anything other than a child's tablet for her--she's way too rough!!

I've not really done any checking into the meep tablet, but I did a lot of research on the Nabi and decided to go it for our daughter (she is 6). I got to try one of these in the Walmart store and it is really nice. Also at Walmart.com Nabi has like 97% of good ratings.

I dont have time to read through all 10 pages of posts so I am sorry if someone has asked this! My 9yr DS want a tablet he really wants a nabi or a meep im worried that he will out grow it to soon. I have a nook tablet and LOVE it but he doesnt want the same as me I am kind of leaning towards a Kindle Fire in hopes he would be able to use it longer. I could really use some help in deciding what way to go! Anyone have opionions on the Kindle Fire would or wouldnt buy?? Is there a better option? I really would like to stay around $150.

The MEEP got HORRIBLE reviews...that's the one my 7 year old wants...still considering a Nabi2, Nexus 7, or Galaxy Tab...have to keep reading this thread before I decide, LOL!

The MEEP got HORRIBLE reviews...that's the one my 7 year old wants...still considering a Nabi2, Nexus 7, or Galaxy Tab...have to keep reading this thread before I decide, LOL!

I bought my then 6 year old daughter a Kindle Fire last Christmas. She has taken very good care of it and absolutely LOVES it. She's getting the Kindle Fire HD this Christmas, so Mom gets the old one and I can't wait!!

I stopped at Barnes and Noble today to look at the Nook. I wasn't impressed. She showed me how it works and told me about it. Also said there wasn't a way to put parental controls for the internet (but wifi can be turned off), no parental controls to stop/block the purchase of books. And it looked very easy to buy books.

I'd like to find a store with a Kindle on display to look at it.

Best Buy has the Kindles on display

I stopped at Barnes and Noble today to look at the Nook. I wasn't impressed. She showed me how it works and told me about it. Also said there wasn't a way to put parental controls for the internet (but wifi can be turned off), no parental controls to stop/block the purchase of books. And it looked very easy to buy books.

the nook has a way to stop purchases, there is a setting to require your password to make purchases i think its an on/off setting.

also it does require you to have an active CC on your account to make a purchase, so if you dont wanna allow it you can simply remove the credit card info.

but the setting has worked for me, my DD has had my old nook for a couple years now and has never been able to make a purchase on it.

Best Buy has the Kindles on display. If you are comparing the 2 I think the Kindle is a better tablet.

I have decided not to get the Kindle HD for DH I had on preorder. I was getting the bigger one for $299. I think I will get him the Asus 10inch 16gb and just get him a 32gb memory card. That is what we did for my DS and DD with their tablets. I am also thinking of getting myself one also. Hoping I can get it the Monday before BF thru on the phone with Rewardzone since I am a Silver Reward Zone member then I wont have to camp out. It is not a doorbuster anyway.

Another question. :D

If you have a Kindle or Nook about how much do you spend per month? How much are apps, books, movies?

I was looking at the LeapPad for my youngest but saw that I'd have to buy $20 and up games for it. It costs less up front but I'm kinda sick of buying these games for things my kids out grow so quickly. At least with the 3DS there's gamestop to trade in games.

I will apologize up front if this is not the proper forum for this question but I would love for someone to tell me the best "tablet" for a child (8 y.o.) for UNDER $100 (preferably $80).

She basically wants to play some games (Minecraft for example),

I see some really cheap ones advertised for $40 but I doubt those are what I want.

I just want a very basic one.

Anyone have thoughts,suggestions,opinions?

I really can't spend more than $90 at the very most.

:(

TIA

I see some mentions of Leap Pad for the younger children and earlier in the year I had looked into getting one for my grandson but the reviews were horrible. The battery was the reason for the bad reviews. This was during March and I couldn't find any Leap Pads on the shelf - I'm guessing they had pulled them because of the battery issues.

I have an iPad that my granddaughter LOVES (will be 3yo next month). Her and my 5 yo grandson fought over the tablet so I purchased a used 1st gen ipad. They both love the ipad/tablet, so my recommendation is to skip the Leap Pad and get a tablet. Although the iPads have help up perfectly fine, my suggestion is to get an android tablet for the younger kids only because of the price difference.

ok so with all the ads out so far can someone tell me what the best deal out there for a tablet is. I basically want one that I can play games on, music, movies and wifi. I really dont want to spend more than 150.00 but I do want a good one that wiil last. can anyone help me, this will be my first tablet, I am using a old ipod right now that i play alot of games on but need a bigger screen and more than 8gb.

thanks so much

ruby

I will apologize up front if this is not the proper forum for this question but I would love for someone to tell me the best "tablet" for a child (8 y.o.) for UNDER $100 (preferably $80).

She basically wants to play some games (Minecraft for example),

I see some really cheap ones advertised for $40 but I doubt those are what I want.

I just want a very basic one.

Anyone have thoughts,suggestions,opinions?

I really can't spend more than $90 at the very most.

:(

TIA

Similar situation here. My DD9 really wants a tablet for netflix. She'd like a camera too. I'd like to get her a kindle but its a bit out of my price range, especially since her brother and sister want one too. She thinks that she wants a Nabi but I wonder if its a bit too "young" for her. We played with one at BB and most of the preloaded apps were aimed at preschoolers. Can you actually explore the Internet on the Nabi or is it just direct links to a few sites? Can it get netflix? Are there free apps more appropriate for older kids?

She wants to spend her own money to get one of cheepo tablets on BF. She only had about $60 to spend. Should I let her get one of the $40 ones (or help her get a $80ish one)? She really just needs access to netflix, some free downloadable apps, and maybe a camera. Expandable memory would be nice, and decent battery life. I'm a big fan of gorilla glass and parental controls (I know, "Get a Kindle!"), but I can always just shut down our wifi at homework and bed times. Would she be happy with one of the cheap ones?

I bought my then 6 year old daughter a Kindle Fire last Christmas. She has taken very good care of it and absolutely LOVES it. She's getting the Kindle Fire HD this Christmas, so Mom gets the old one and I can't wait!!

My sister got one for my niece last year, and I liked it, but for one, the fact that you have to pay extra to remove ads, just out of principle, that turns me off...and I read that the newer ones don't come with an adapter to charge it, as the old ones did? So you have to buy that, too? It's a great deal for the Nabi2, but he will surely outgrow it in the next two years, and while I have another child after him who just turned 3, I think the technology will be different, and she'll want something different by then, so I'm thinking that's $$ wasted...the Nexus 7 has GREAT reviews, so that is a strong frontrunner for me...and did the Kindle Fire not have a camera? I KNOW my kids would want a camera on it, because each of my older kids has a DSi that they use and take pics with...we are getting the older one a laptop, and I'm afraid that once he sees the 7 yo with a tablet, he's no longer going to want the laptop, LOL...

the Kindle Fire DOES have a camera

The new ones have a camera, the old ones don't. Just want to put it out there in case someone is looking at an older one. I LOVE my 'old' Kindle. The only things that I felt like it was lacking was a camera and descent parental controls. They've taken care of that with the new ones.