Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

Ok, I am looking for a tablet for myself but do not want to get a separate wireless plan to run the thing. I would like to use it at our cabin that does not have wifi and would like to read, watch movies and surf the internet a bit. What would you all recommend?:gdthankyou:

If your cabin doesn't have wifi, then you won't be able to surf the internet if you purchase a tablet without a wireless plan. :( (Further, does your cabin even pick up the signal from the wireless plans?)

NOW, if you have a cell phone with a data plan that you can turn into a hotspot, then you can purchase a tablet with wifi only and it can pick up the hotspot from the phone.

EDIT: What is your budget?

I have a verizon wireless iphone4S that gets good coverage up there. Not sure if it can be used to make a hotspot or not. How would I find out? My budget is around $300 or so

You can but I think it's $30 a month, at least.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDeal

I have a verizon wireless iphone4S that gets good coverage up there. Not sure if it can be used to make a hotspot or not. How would I find out? My budget is around $300 or so

You can. It costs $30 per month, but you can buy one month at a time. Before you leave for vacation, just call verizon and have it enabled. So that should get you what you need for minimal cost.

With At&T we can make any smartphone a hotspot. Both kids and DH have iphone 5 Ihave Samsung Galaxy S3 and we all have used our phones as hotspots, we just connect it when needed. I use it for my Laptop kids hook their tablets up. Does not cost anything extra its part of our Mobile Share plan.

You should check out SquareTrade Warranty online. I have their extended warranty for several things including 3 iphone 5s If you like their facebook page you can put your email in to be sent a code for 40% off a warranty with them. I did it under different email addresses so will get a few since I am planning on getting a few electronics. Code is good thru 12/31

Thank you for posting this. We plan on getting new phones for Christmas and this will help.

With At&T we can make any smartphone a hotspot. Both kids and DH have iphone 5 Ihave Samsung Galaxy S3 and we all have used our phones as hotspots, we just connect it when needed. I use it for my Laptop kids hook their tablets up. Does not cost anything extra its part of our Mobile Share plan.

If you have the Share Everything plan with Verizon, mobile hot spot is also included.

My daughter wants the meep tablet for Christmas. I was looking at that and the nabi. Does anyone know which is better? My daughter is 8. Thanks :)

I've not really done any checking into the meep tablet, but I did a lot of research on the Nabi and decided to go it for our daughter (she is 6). I got to try one of these in the Walmart store and it is really nice. Also at Walmart.com Nabi has like 97% of good ratings.

I am waiting to see if any of the stores is gonna offer a GC bundle with the Nabi 2 on BF or not, if so i will most likely buy it then, if not, i will go put it on layaway so i can spread the payments out a little and have a little bit more $ to spend on BF

I am waiting to see if any of the stores is gonna offer a GC bundle with the Nabi 2 on BF or not, if so i will most likely buy it then, if not, i will go put it on layaway so i can spread the payments out a little and have a little bit more $ to spend on BF

This is what we are doing also...I am really hoping that Amazon has a GC bundle or has it on sale.

I'd put it on layaway now. Just in case they sell out.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDeal

I dont have time to read through all 10 pages of posts so I am sorry if someone has asked this! My 9yr DS want a tablet he really wants a nabi or a meep im worried that he will out grow it to soon. I have a nook tablet and LOVE it but he doesnt want the same as me I am kind of leaning towards a Kindle Fire in hopes he would be able to use it longer. I could really use some help in deciding what way to go! Anyone have opionions on the Kindle Fire would or wouldnt buy?? Is there a better option? I really would like to stay around $150.

I think the Kindle Fire for $159 (I think may get a gift card with it at some stores) is perfect for a 9 year old. I think he would be too old for a Nabi or Meep.

I dont have time to read through all 10 pages of posts so I am sorry if someone has asked this! My 9yr DS want a tablet he really wants a nabi or a meep im worried that he will out grow it to soon. I have a nook tablet and LOVE it but he doesnt want the same as me I am kind of leaning towards a Kindle Fire in hopes he would be able to use it longer. I could really use some help in deciding what way to go! Anyone have opionions on the Kindle Fire would or wouldnt buy?? Is there a better option? I really would like to stay around $150.

You really should read the thread before posting. It doesn't take that long to parse ten pages of posts and asking the same questions only makes threads longer for those who follow. There is also a strong possibility that in reading the ten pages you will learn something that someone does not post in response to your query. If you really do not have time to read ten pages of posts on an item that you are planning to spend more than $100 on, there is a search function at the top of the page.

Can someone tell me the difference in a tablet versus a ipad.My son has a laptop but he wants something more portable for school.No games or anything on it just be able to surf the web and take notes on it.TY.Im guessing a $500 ipad compared to a $100 tablet has to have some major differences.

Yeah. 400.00 Thats basically it. An ipad is still a tablet. Just the most expensive one. My son has a kindle fire and says its the best present he has ever gotten. Hes 15 and thats a lot coming from a kid who has a gateway laptop and every gaming system there is. He watches netflix on it mostly and youtube . Takes it to school and reads and takes it to bed at night and watches movies.

Can someone tell me the difference in a tablet versus a ipad.My son has a laptop but he wants something more portable for school.No games or anything on it just be able to surf the web and take notes on it.TY.Im guessing a $500 ipad compared to a $100 tablet has to have some major differences.

So difference in price is size and speed? So a $100 tablet will do what a $500 one will be it just may nt have a camera or sd slot and have memory differences?

The reason im asking is my sons first laptop was a netbook and it did the same exact thing my $800 laptop did except his didnt have a harddrive.He could watch movies listen to music and everything.So im thinking a cheap tablet has the same capabilites as a expensive one just nt all the bells and whistles.

Most of the tablets that are priced at $100 are run on android but often not able to be updated. I'm not speaking of a kindle fire but all those other cheap tablets floating around. You need to look at exactly what he wants to use it for, see what other system he primarily uses i.e. windows, iTunes, android, etc. and see what options are out there at a price you're comfortable with. An iPad is not even the most expensive tablet though others will try and tell you it is. Also if he's using it for notes then you're going to need to look at the difft apps for documents as well as a keyboard as he will probably tire of using a touch screen for note taking.

Also, has he asked specifically for an iPad? If so, find out why and see what other tablets can replicate that for him and if he is open to another option. It sounds like the nexus 7 or even the Microsoft surface could be options for you depending on exact wants and needs. Good luck on your search!

So difference in price is size and speed? So a $100 tablet will do what a $500 one will be it just may nt have a camera or sd slot and have memory differences?

The reason im asking is my sons first laptop was a netbook and it did the same exact thing my $800 laptop did except his didnt have a harddrive.He could watch movies listen to music and everything.So im thinking a cheap tablet has the same capabilites as a expensive one just nt all the bells and whistles.

There are other options like what ecosystem is used, what app store (s) can be used, are there accessories available for it, is it upgradable, exactly what type of touch screen is it....

Funny thing he didnt ask for one at all. Im just trying to find something to buy him that he doesnt have already.I just figured having a tablet(touch screen) would be fun to use.So"android" im guessing isnt that good?ISnt the kindle for books?He isnt going to download books and movies on it.Just surf the web and take school notes.

Funny thing he didnt ask for one at all. Im just trying to find something to buy him that he doesnt have already.I just figured having a tablet(touch screen) would be fun to use.So"android" im guessing isnt that good?ISnt the kindle for books?He isnt going to download books and movies on it.Just surf the web and take school notes.

Lol! I got cha :) no android as an operating system is fine but many lower priced tablets won't run a recent version and they often are not able to be updated. The kindle fire is an actual tablet; it's not just an e-reader. Does he have an iPod touch or a smart phone? I know you say he won't be downloading movies or anything but if this is his first time with something like this then I would guess all bets are off. Is he in high school or college?