Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

We all own Nook Colors except for my youngest daughter. I am going to get her one for Christmas. I was going to get the latest Nook until I read this thread. Now not sure. Kindle or Nook....HMMMMM....and yes I read the whole thread. :)

Can anyone tell me anything about the Samsung tab? I'm looking at getting the 7" for my 10 year old.

I have it and love it! I was waiting for the Asus 370T to come out and then they scrapped it, so I bought the Galaxy Tab 2 7". I can do anything I want on it. I like the keyboard on it. I love the SD slot. I have a lot of MicroSD cards because of my phone, so I just keep a bunch of movies and switch them out. I can use the Hulu, Netflix and Comcast Apps on it just fine. I have both the Nook App and the Kindle App, so I have a LOT (about 1800 total) of books on it too. I have had the original Nook for a long time, and I had been using the Kindle App with my HTC Flyer (OLD small tablet) that was stolen. I have several games (I love Angry Birds and Where's my Water)

I really like it a lot and can't recommend it highly enough.b The Nexus 7 is a nice piece of hardware, too, but it doesn't have an SD slot (most important to me )or a Camera (Not important to me at all ;) ).

I have it and love it! I was waiting for the Asus 370T to come out and then they scrapped it, so I bought the Galaxy Tab 2 7". I can do anything I want on it. I like the keyboard on it. I love the SD slot. I have a lot of MicroSD cards because of my phone, so I just keep a bunch of movies and switch them out. I can use the Hulu, Netflix and Comcast Apps on it just fine. I have both the Nook App and the Kindle App, so I have a LOT (about 1800 total) of books on it too. I have had the original Nook for a long time, and I had been using the Kindle App with my HTC Flyer (OLD small tablet) that was stolen. I have several games (I love Angry Birds and Where's my Water)

I really like it a lot and can't recommend it highly enough.b The Nexus 7 is a nice piece of hardware, too, but it doesn't have an SD slot (most important to me )or a Camera (Not important to me at all ;) ).

Thanks! I think I may definitely go with this one for DD.

i found this tidy comparison between the 4 tablets that my family has been debating and researching...

http://gamingillustrated.com/ipad-mini-vs-kindle-fire-hd-vs-google-nexus-7-vs-nook-hd/

I think that if you're looking at these tablets, the ecosystem you're currently using is really the big dealmaker/dealbreaker for these tablets. I'm going to look into the Galaxy Tab now... I hope I make a decision soon - I'm going to be paralyzed by too much information!!

A couple of weeks ago Costco had the Galaxy Tab 2 10" for $349. They were also selling the keyboard dock but I didn't catch the price on that. You can get them on Amazon for that price as well right now. Don't know why you'd want to pay $50 more for the Nexus.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Nexus 7 (or 10) Google Tablet being on Sale between now and Christmas? I'd really like to have one! My hubby got one the first week or so it was out and I have tablet envy LOL. I know it's $199 but any money saved is good!!

I doubt you'll see any on sale, aside from possible discounts on the old 8GB Nexus 7 model.

Thanks, Len...I was thinking/hoping either BB or Amazon would sell it (If I buy from them, I can use gift cards towards fuel...)

Do you know if buying it from Google Play gives you any extra insurance, like how Amazon replaces the Kindle Fires, if you drop, etc?

*I see Staples has them, and that store is under gift cards I can use to earn fuelpoints...so related to above question, would you risk buying from Staples, or better to buy from GOOGLE? Thanks :)

Edited by allshoppedout
added comment

I see Staples has them, and that store is under gift cards I can use to earn fuelpoints...so related to above question, would you risk buying from Staples, or better to buy from GOOGLE? Thanks :)

I'm a huge Staples fan. Besides easy returns, there are lots of other advantages...

1) if you have a Discover card, check to see if you have cash back accumulated. You can purchase $25 Staples gift cards for $20 with cashback -- it's like getting 20% off Staples' best prices.

2) If you are a rewards member, you can accumulate rewards by recycling ink carts and purchasing items that pay rewards (between now and xmas, you will be able to earn ~$200 in rewards buying batteries

3) if you spend $1k (gross) annually at staples, you achieve premier status which allows you to hold rewards for six months and doubles the number of ink carts you can return per month

Right now, I have $185 in rewards and another $110 pending for november and at least $80 for december plus $75 in gift cards via cashback. This will buy me a couple Fire HDs (plus new gift cards). Merry Christmas!

If you purchase a Nexus for $199.99 from staples using discover cashback, it will cost you $160 (you could have applied the $160 cash back that bought the $200 in gift cards to your bill) plus you will be 20% of the way to rewards premier status. That's probably the best price you will get (although there are rumors of a $99 nexus). If you can be patient, there will probably be a gift card offer to further discount your nexus. If you sign up for rewards, you may find a special discount in your coupon wallet.

I'd be shocked if the Nexus was a BF item anywhere. Staples did the gift cards last year for the Fire and Nook, but they do that during the year as well and they never ran out of either.

Staples is usually the place I start my BF. My staples is very cordial and overstocked for BF. They rarely have amazing door busters, but I stock up on the ample deals on office and computer products. This year, I'm hoping for a quad core desktop. No pressure ;)

Good luck with your Nexus hunt.

Thanks Len.. again. I CAN be a bit patient...but I really didn't want to have the pressure to make Staples the place I had to be on Black Friday.hoping to pick up good deal either before Black Friday or then after..maybe online..

I have ordered from Staples 2 or 3 years online on BF morning and always got what I needed without having to go into the store.

I have ordered from Staples 2 or 3 years online on BF morning and always got what I needed without having to go into the store.

wow, thanks that's encouraging! :D Crossing my fingers. I'd love to take care of it online, and be able to go to other stores where I need more items...

I did have a second part to my question, is there better peace of mind/customer service/warranty if I purchase from Google?

I'd be shocked if the Nexus was a BF item anywhere. Staples did the gift cards last year for the Fire and Nook, but they do that during the year as well and they never ran out of either.

Staples is usually the place I start my BF. My staples is very cordial and overstocked for BF. They rarely have amazing door busters, but I stock up on the ample deals on office and computer products. This year, I'm hoping for a quad core desktop. No pressure ;)

Good luck with your Nexus hunt.

Thanks, I have changed my mind a bit recently, but I am pretty certain it'll be Nexus. I don't like the ads Kindle Fire has (and charge $$ to remove), and not so sure I want to invest in prime again, being my state now has tax, and then free shipping isn't necessarily free, when Amazon is now calling certain things ADD ON's and those aren't eligible for free shipping....

My Staples sits alone, but it is in the opposite direction of the other stores I normally hit on BF.

And good luck with your quad core desktop :)

You should check out SquareTrade Warranty online. I have their extended warranty for several things including 3 iphone 5s If you like their facebook page you can put your email in to be sent a code for 40% off a warranty with them. I did it under different email addresses so will get a few since I am planning on getting a few electronics. Code is good thru 12/31

wow, thanks that's encouraging! :D Crossing my fingers. I'd love to take care of it online, and be able to go to other stores where I need more items...

I did have a second part to my question, is there better peace of mind/customer service/warranty if I purchase from Google?

RACERFAN, I LEARN SO MUCH FROM YOU! Thank you, I WILL like their FB page, I will probably get two tablets, so that helps me! ;)

You should check out SquareTrade Warranty online. I have their extended warranty for several things including 3 iphone 5s If you like their facebook page you can put your email in to be sent a code for 40% off a warranty with them. I did it under different email addresses so will get a few since I am planning on getting a few electronics. Code is good thru 12/31

Ok, I am looking for a tablet for myself but do not want to get a separate wireless plan to run the thing. I would like to use it at our cabin that does not have wifi and would like to read, watch movies and surf the internet a bit. What would you all recommend?:gdthankyou: