Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

I like the Asus in the BB BF ad but it is $20 more than the one they offered last year... Not sure if I want to camp out for just that. I was hoping they would have a good priced Laptop but I think Staples has beaten them with that. Now I don't know what to do...

yeah he has a Ipod touch and hes in high school.He also has a e-reader(still in the box).lol

^^^ this is a problem ^^^

You might want to chat with him about how he uses the touch, how much stuff he owns from the apple store, and how he would improve it if Apple hired him. You'll get an idea as to how he feels about Apple stuff, tablets, and portable devices which may help you buy a gift that will be taken out of the box.

For people who are not sure, I recommend the Fire. It's very inexpensive to own one of these. The device is relatively cheap, you can immediately download hundreds of apps and books for free, and enjoy a free trial of Prime with it's lending library, streaming media, and (for you) free shipping. By the end of the Prime trial, you should have a good idea of how you feel about the device and the Amazon ecosystem. I think you will find your $200 investment rewarded, but, if you do not, you are only out the $200 -- though I suspect you will be able to return the Fire.

So difference in price is size and speed? So a $100 tablet will do what a $500 one will be it just may nt have a camera or sd slot and have memory differences?

The reason im asking is my sons first laptop was a netbook and it did the same exact thing my $800 laptop did except his didnt have a harddrive.He could watch movies listen to music and everything.So im thinking a cheap tablet has the same capabilites as a expensive one just nt all the bells and whistles.

Actually, iPads do not even have SD slots. They are more expensive for a few reasons, different hardware, and just the fact that it is Apple. The other tablets mostly run Android, but run different versions. You will want to get one with a more up-to-date version of Android. Also, make sure it has access to the Google Play store, as not all the cheaper ones do. That's where most of the popular games are, if you think he will be concerned with games and apps.

Some tablets have back cameras only, some have front and back. With those you can Skype and such.

I got one for my DS16 (was 15) last year, and the things I looked for were SDSlot and 2 cameras, and access to app store. He loves his, uses it a lot, for school and play.

Now, my younger son started asking for an iPad last spring, and found out what he wanted was just the ability to play games with his frinds who had iPods. So, an iPod was the answer for him.

Which brings up one more consideration. Does he already have any device that uses apps? Or anything in iTunes? If any platform has already been invested in heavily, you may want to stick with that platform.

I was looking around this morning at the Nook color for $139 vs. the Kindle Fire for $159. Only a few differences. This would be for my 10 year old son. My 6 year old would probably look at it also. I've read reviews on both. Looked at both online. Still undecided. I don't even know what questions I would have? lol

Are the libraries pretty similar between the two?

What about free books?

Anyone have any advice for either one?

nook color vs kindle fire

nook color is NOT a tablet, you can not stream movies

kindle fire, you can stream movies and download games to it.

both you can get LOTS of free books on it

I have the NOOK color and I love it to read my nook books on it, BUT I do want a Kindle Fire

I have the NOOK color and I love it to read my nook books on it, BUT I do want a Kindle Fire

Yeah, so far the difference seems to be in streaming movies.

From Barnes & Noble:

Nook

NEW! Movies & TV Shows from Netflix

NEW! NOOK Comics™ including the largest collection of Marvel graphic novels

World's most advanced VividView™ 7" touchscreen

Over 2.5 million books, magazines, interactive kids' books

Must-have apps like Angry Birds, top music services, & more

Tablet essentials–email & Web w/video

Expandable memory- add up to 32 GB w/ microSD™ card

Always free NOOK support in-store

He already watches Netflix on his 3DS but this is bigger.

There are apps for games.

What games can't be downloaded?

your limited to what games they give you a choice of downloading on the nook, about to turn mine on now to look at whats there, usually there isnt anything that is an interest to me on the nook, i just use it to read with

Can books/apps be shared between 2 nooks or 2 kindles?

If I can get a good enough deal I might get one for each kid. But I'd hate to buy the same book/app twice so each can have one. Of course books probably wouldn't be the same because of the different reading levels but I could see them wanting the same game.

Thanks so much for answering my questions. :)

I like the Asus in the BB BF ad but it is $20 more than the one they offered last year... Not sure if I want to camp out for just that. I was hoping they would have a good priced Laptop but I think Staples has beaten them with that. Now I don't know what to do...

Actually this is the one that caught my eye.Figured for less than $200 would be a nice gift/toy.https://blackfriday.bestbuy.com/door+busters/product/6815824/samsung++galaxy+tab+2+70+with+8gb+memory++white

If I can get a good enough deal I might get one for each kid. But I'd hate to buy the same book/app twice so each can have one. Of course books probably wouldn't be the same because of the different reading levels but I could see them wanting the same game.

Yes for the fire (and I assume for the nook). Up to six (I believe) devices can be associated with one Amazon/Prime account. I don't allow purchases from the Fires (accidents happen) and manage purchases from a web browser. All the Fires can see all the stuff I've 'purchased' in the cloud and download whatever appeals.

I know the books are registered to your BN account so if you buy a book or get it for free as long as you use the same account login info you can have the same book on more than 1 device, i have 2 nooks in my house and the nook for pc on the computers and have access to all my books.

apps/games i would assume would be the same, but i only have 1 nook color so I am not sure about it

My husband has the nook color and he really enjoys it. He uses it primarily for magazines, books, and Internet browsing, not really for watching anything. I will say though that when he does watch something, the speaker quality is lacking. that's why I've got my eye on the kindle fire hd. I hear the speakers on that thing are insane. :)

Yes and with the Nook lines you can always lend out digital books to people.

You know the Nook HD and Nook HD+ are both the competition for the Fire? I bought my wife a Nook Color when it came out, this year I'm buying her the HD+ to replace it. Was going iPad Mini until the price came out then that changed my mind for me. :)

Glad to see the kindles in the Best Buy ad with a $30.00 gift card. Anyone think Amazon will match before BF and save me from having to stand in line??

I'm wondering that too. I'll be 9 months pregnant so there is no way I'm going to Best Buy. Lol. I'd rather have a $30 Amazon card anyway cuz then DS and DD can use it for books and stuff for their Fires. If they don't I may go to Stapes for the $20 gift card.

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDeal

I'm wondering that too. I'll be 9 months pregnant so there is no way I'm going to Best Buy. Lol. I'd rather have a $30 Amazon card anyway cuz then DS and DD can use it for books and stuff for their Fires. If they don't I may go to Stapes for the $20 gift card.

dont forget you can get it and Radio Shack with $30 as well

problem i have with the nook is the cost compared to the kindle for the price difference alone i lean towards the kindle, then you throw in the things you can do on the kindle fire vs nook, its won me over

What differences between the Nook HD+ and the Kindle? I didn't think there was much of a price difference but I'm also not big into tabs so I can't say for sure.

both are the same price for the HD models

kindle has a camera

nook has no camera

kindle has 16gb or 32gb model not expandable

nook has 8gb or 16 gb model both expandable with micro sd car

kindle battery life 11 hours

nook battery life 10.5

If you go on the amazon forums there are people with both, they will tell you the biggest difference is customer service. Amazon is A1 and Barnes and Noble sucks. Amazon replaced my kindle free twice when I broke the screen. They are wonderful. You get no such reports about a Nook. Also. They say the fire is far superior in performance. Amazon doesnt match prices. They dont put their current kindles on sale,only the old models. I wpuldnt count on it, but I wouldnt buy from anyone else just to get a gift card. There are too many benefits from buying from amazon directly, like having until jan 31 for a refund if you arent happy

If you go on the amazon forums there are people with both, they will tell you the biggest difference is customer service. Amazon is A1 and Barnes and Noble sucks. Amazon replaced my kindle free twice when I broke the screen. They are wonderful. You get no such reports about a Nook. Also. They say the fire is far superior in performance. Amazon doesnt match prices. They dont put their current kindles on sale,only the old models. I wpuldnt count on it, but I wouldnt buy from anyone else just to get a gift card. There are too many benefits from buying from amazon directly, like having until jan 31 for a refund if you arent happy

Thanks. I keep forgetting about there exchange policy. Would be worth not getting a gift card. Still hoping though. Lol

both are the same price for the HD models

kindle has a camera

nook has no camera

kindle has 16gb or 32gb model not expandable

nook has 8gb or 16 gb model both expandable with micro sd car

kindle battery life 11 hours

nook battery life 10.5

The speakers are very good too. If you have a local staples, they should have both on display.

You really should read the thread before posting. It doesn't take that long to parse ten pages of posts and asking the same questions only makes threads longer for those who follow. There is also a strong possibility that in reading the ten pages you will learn something that someone does not post in response to your query. If you really do not have time to read ten pages of posts on an item that you are planning to spend more than $100 on, there is a search function at the top of the page.

so I should read it all so I dont waste time posting or making the thread longer but you just wrote all of that without even answering the question and making the thread longer...but thank you for your advice I will keep it in mind!

For everyone that answered thank you I think I will just go with the Kindle Fire!

I am so lost, someone pls help! I have read through the thread twice and tried to decipher most of what was said. The issue is we are totally not "geek friendly." I have no idea what the difference is in a lot of the terms being used. We have old non smart phones, no tablets, laptops, etc, we have 3 desktops. All I know is my kids want a tablet. My 6 yr old saw the tabeo and said she wanted it, and my 8 yr old, who is gifted just said she wanted a tablet and brought up the kindle fire which some of the kids in her gifted program at school has. She is only 8, but reads at a high school level and knows a little about computers. I looked at the kindles, and am not sure if it would fit for my 6 yr old, but I think my older daughter would like the fire ones. Can someone give me insight as to whether the kindle fire for $159 would be good or should I buy her the $199 newer one? Also how tech savvy would you need to be set one up? As I said, we are pretty clueless about it. Money is relevant too, we have a $200 budget per child and I do not have the amazon prime. Any help would be appreciated, I guess what I am looking for is someone to tell me which to buy for them....

I am so lost, someone pls help! I have read through the thread twice and tried to decipher most of what was said. The issue is we are totally not "geek friendly." I have no idea what the difference is in a lot of the terms being used. We have old non smart phones, no tablets, laptops, etc, we have 3 desktops. All I know is my kids want a tablet. My 6 yr old saw the tabeo and said she wanted it, and my 8 yr old, who is gifted just said she wanted a tablet and brought up the kindle fire which some of the kids in her gifted program at school has. She is only 8, but reads at a high school level and knows a little about computers. I looked at the kindles, and am not sure if it would fit for my 6 yr old, but I think my older daughter would like the fire ones. Can someone give me insight as to whether the kindle fire for $159 would be good or should I buy her the $199 newer one? Also how tech savvy would you need to be set one up? As I said, we are pretty clueless about it. Money is relevant too, we have a $200 budget per child and I do not have the amazon prime. Any help would be appreciated, I guess what I am looking for is someone to tell me which to buy for them....

for your older daughter i would recommend the kindle fire $159 model

younger, the nabi 2 she can do a little more with it and grow with it

both need a little to be setup but the directions should be pretty easy to follow, if not youtube is your friend to show you a video of how to set them up as you go.

for your older daughter i would recommend the kindle fire $159 model

younger, the nabi 2 she can do a little more with it and grow with it

both need a little to be setup but the directions should be pretty easy to follow, if not youtube is your friend to show you a video of how to set them up as you go.

So the 8gb of memory will be enough for games and books too for her? Is it worth it to upgrade to the $199 for the added memory?