Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

No need :) if I was wrong it wouldn't have been the first nor likely the last time. I still think $329 is too high.

I think it is too. I thought they would have tried to be more competitive with the Nexus and the Fire. Oh well. Guess my kids are getting Fires. Lol

I think it is too. I thought they would have tried to be more competitive with the Nexus and the Fire. Oh well. Guess my kids are getting Fires. Lol

I read something yesterday that seemed very descriptive. It said that the mini iPads were not for those that were not willing to spend a few hundred dollars on a tablet, they were for those who wanted a smaller iPad. And it looks like that's what they've stuck to. Even my husband who has always been Mr. Microsoft and has been lusting over the Surface, said last week he may consider a mini instead, as he already has a lot invested in his 1st gen iPad, and likes the small size of my Galaxy Tab. So that's a lot of the people they are going after. Also, if they had them at $199 or even $249, that's awful close in price to the iPods, they wouldn't want to cut into that...

But yeah, $329 is still kinda high, I agree.

That is what I think also. Especially since it has specs like the ipad2. WOndering if maybe I will look into one of the Apple refurb ipad3 that are floating around for $379. DH would love it.

I'm sorry, but they just pricecd themselves out of a potential sale..I would have considered it at 250.00-275 but not any higher since you can get some pretty nice tablets for wel below 329.00.

Is "almost 3 years old" too young for a tablet? What can they use it for at age 3 but still grow into it for a few years? I imagine one of the taboo or leappad wont be as interesting to them in 2 years when they can fully use and iPad or Android tablet so I think im leaning to an Android, but maybe wait one more year?

Need a bit of help here:Besides the Kindle Fire, do any of the tablets UNDER 250 have any kind of administrative/adult control/limit control? I need to keep my son from BUYING or more importantly DELETING any apps/music, etc that I put on the tablet... And I am not even sure that KF does that, I know it has KINDLE time where you can limit how long he watches movies, etc, but does it prevent him from Deleting them??

Is "almost 3 years old" too young for a tablet? What can they use it for at age 3 but still grow into it for a few years? I imagine one of the taboo or leappad wont be as interesting to them in 2 years when they can fully use and iPad or Android tablet so I think im leaning to an Android, but maybe wait one more year?

In my opinion yes. 2 years old is too young for a tablet. I'd get a LeapPad or Innotab personally. Technology only lasts a few years anyway. I'm getting my 12 and 7 yo Kindle Fires for Xmas. But hey if you have the money to waste then why not I guess.

Our daughter will be 2 in December and has used an iPad for many many months now. She watches Disney Jr, play educational games and can fully utilize it with usually 0 help from either of us. She is using a first gen iPad and I can't see buying her a new one for a long time. We will be getting her a new case for it soon that's meant for children but she will use this one until it's no longer useful or bites the dust then we will see whats out at that point. :)

I purchased the VisualLand Prestige 7L from Walmart.com in red for our DS5 for a Santa present. Comes with Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja already, also has Kindle app and more, (don't have it with me). I've had it out already downloaded a couple more games. Can also use SD cards with it, if we need more memory. When i checked reviews most people really liked it, some had both the Kindle Fire and this one and preferred this one. It sells for $99.99. I recently ordered a purple for myself, should have it next week. I will be able to check it out more instead of after he goes to sleep!!

Our DS5 got a Leapfrog Leapster Explorer for his 3rd birthday, he still enjoys playing the games, he has about 7 different ones and wants more. I believe even with the tablet he is getting for Christmas he will still play with explorer if for no other reason than to have a variety so he doesn't get bored.

Need a bit of help here:Besides the Kindle Fire, do any of the tablets UNDER 250 have any kind of administrative/adult control/limit control? I need to keep my son from BUYING or more importantly DELETING any apps/music, etc that I put on the tablet... And I am not even sure that KF does that, I know it has KINDLE time where you can limit how long he watches movies, etc, but does it prevent him from Deleting them??

You can put a password on buying apps, even in-app purchases. I know you can do this on iPad and also on Android tablets. I would imagine it would be a feature of all Android, but I don't know that for sure.

I don't know about passwords for deleting apps or music. But, once you purchase an app, you can re-download it for free. Of course if it's a game, then you will probably lose your saved games.

We are getting my daughter the Nabi 2. She is 6. This can also be used as a full android tablet. The great thing about it is that it is made for kids and it has mommy mode that allows you to choose what is appropriate for your child to see/watch and to keep them from accidentally buying someting. It also has tons of educational apps. I actually had the chance to test one of these out in a Walmart store and it is pretty cool. My daughter is going to love it!

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Microsoft surface? I was really hoping to get one for my hubby but I was expecting there price to be a little more competitive it this rate I might as well by an iPad I'm not tech savvy so does anyone have any wise words? TIA

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Microsoft surface? I was really hoping to get one for my hubby but I was expecting there price to be a little more competitive it this rate I might as well by an iPad I'm not tech savvy so does anyone have any wise words? TIA

Well, we have actually been eyeing those for a while. I was sure we were getting 2-3 of them. Now I'm actually not so sure. :( My youngest son really wants one, so he probably still will get it. My husband wants the pro version (will run a full windows desktop as well as the tablet interface), but it may not be practical right now to get it. For now, there aren't a whole lot of apps out for it. I expect a whole lot to be released tomorrow with the tablet, but we'll see.

We have Windows phones, so this interface is familiar to us. We are also a Zune/Xbox family, so we have a lot invested in MS products. I really like the interface, and all the features that win 8 has.

The Surfaces look really nice, very slick. I think it will be nice to run Windows interface on them. There will also be other Windows 8 tablets, Asus and Lenovo I know for sure have them as well. That might be a little cheaper alternative to the Surface. I agree, the price isn't quite what I wanted (but what I expected). I did not expect the keyboard to be so expensive however. And that's part of the fun! As far as being competitive, they are competing with Apple and the iPads, not the less expensive tablets. Much more licensing and such on Windows and Apple than there is on android.

What is your husband used to? Does he have any other devices that he has purchased apps for? Some of those are transferrable between devices, so that might be something to consider when choosing a platform.

I am really excited to see and play with one. And I do hope we end up getting at least 1, my guys have really been looking forward to it. I guess it will all come down to the apps. If they aren't there, then probably we will get a pro for husband, and I don't know about son. He got a gaming laptop for Christmas last year, so he doesn't need another laptop-type device.

That was a lot of babbling, hope it makes sense.

My biggest is with MS devices like that are horrible track record in support and the cost is way too high in my opinion. I've not messed with their new OS for phones and the tablet much but my first impressions of it aren't great. I'm NOT a fan of Win8 so that could be why. Outside of that I use MS products every day at home and at work and have had an Xbox and the X360 since shortly after they came out and love them so when they put their mind to it they do hardware well sometimes just takes them a while to GET IT and get going. When they release something new like this I always say unless you REALLY want it then take a wait and see approach. That could be said for many companies though lol

I am totally lusting after an iPad mini! I've wanted my own iPad for a long time, and this is more affordable, and I like the size better! I've had the use of an iPad 1, but it belongs to DH's school, so I generally only get it on the weekends. The regular iPad is really too big to fit into my purse, but the iPad mini would be awesome! We have iPhones, and purchase games and apps for those, plus some iPad games. So I think staying within the apple family will be the most cost effective for us. DD wants a touch so she doesn't have to keep stealing my phone to play on, but if we get a mini, we might just share it! DH wants the iPhone 5. If he gets that, I will inherit his iPhone 4, and DD will get my iPhone 3GS to use as a touch! LOL! It's all good!

The mini is too big. The Kindle Fire slides into a back or front pocket or a jacket or sweat shirt pocket. The Fire HD is a little wider but still gets into that back pocket. The mini won't fit easily into a pocket. I wonder where the size came from. I guess they wanted to be bigger than the rest of the small tabs, but I think they got it wrong.

In my opinion, no that is not to young. We have a 3, 5, 8, 11 year olds and they are all getting a tablet this year.

Why do you say that's a 150 discount when 200 is it's regular price. You aren't really saving anything at all if you buy from amazon you pay the straight 200.00. If you buy from Staples, you pay tax and get the gift card,

By comparison, Staples is selling the Fire HD for $200 with a $20 gift card next week. That's $180 or a $150 discount. About half the price of the Apple Mini.

Unfortunately buying from Amazon does not save me anything now. I pay tax on Amazon just like other stores. I used to prefer buying from them, but not anymore. The deal at Staples is better for me. I am thinking of waiting for the 8.9" screen though if I decide to go the Kindle route for DH. Still don't like that there is no miccro-sd card slot.

Why do you say that's a 150 discount when 200 is it's regular price. You aren't really saving anything at all if you buy from amazon you pay the straight 200.00. If you buy from Staples, you pay tax and get the gift card,

There is still an advantage to buying from amazon and that is the customer service. There was a woman on the forums that had a dead kindle and staples wouldn't take it back because it was 1 day after her return period . All amazon would do was replace it and she was just mad and wanted her money back. If you buy from amazon at xmas time, you have until Jan 31 for a full refund , if you don't , you abide by the rules of the store you bought it from.

I thought the math was obvious -- the Fire HD is a tablet with specs that compare favorably to the Mini at a price that is $150 to $180 less than the Mini.

A few pages back someone asked for a comparison of the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet, but I didn't see any answers. That's what I was wondering. I have a 1st gen Nook and want to upgrade to a tablet but I don't know if I should go with the Nook Tablet or the Kindle Fire. The sales tax is not a factor for me because I pay sales tax on Amazon purchases. I do not have a Prime account either, if that makes a difference. The family would be sharing this one tablet, we can't afford one for each of us. It would be my husband, myself, and our almost 6 year old using it. TIA!

A few pages back someone asked for a comparison of the Kindle Fire and the Nook Tablet, but I didn't see any answers. That's what I was wondering. I have a 1st gen Nook and want to upgrade to a tablet but I don't know if I should go with the Nook Tablet or the Kindle Fire. The sales tax is not a factor for me because I pay sales tax on Amazon purchases. I do not have a Prime account either, if that makes a difference. The family would be sharing this one tablet, we can't afford one for each of us. It would be my husband, myself, and our almost 6 year old using it. TIA!

Well, from what I know, you can't read Nook books on a Kindle. It may be different on a Fire, since you can put apps on it, but I don't know for sure. If that's the case, then you will want to stick to the Nook, so you can keep your existing library. Or go with another Android tablet that you can put both Nook and Kindle books on.

I honestly don't know anything about the Nook tablet, I'm getting the Kindle Fire for my kids. The only thing I do know is if you already have a library on your Nook you would have to start over with a Kindle. I only had a couple books on my Nook so it wasn't a big deal when I switched to the Kindle.