Official Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

Brad

Since that only works with the expensive model. I preordered the expensive model and am paying on it. The week before it ships, I will cancel that preorder and the money will go back in my amazon account. I will then just purchase the kindle outright on amazon. I will not buy a kindle from walmart. If you buy from amazon you have until january 31 to return, walmart only allows 2 weeks. Also no tax and amazon has much better customer service that far outweighs any benefits walmart may offer.

When I looked on Amazon's site it says you only have 30 days from purchase date. Will they have a special holiday return policy that allows until January 31?

The boys have also mentioned an Ipod touch or Galaxy Tab2..I am so confused right now..lol.

They are not big gamers. They really only want one to access the web (esp. FB), youtube, and music. Of the three which do you think would work best?

How old are your boys? I know a choice between ipod touch and a tablet my DS16 prefers his touch. He just got a new phone (iphone 4s) and now uses that all the time instead of his 2 year old ipod touch. I asked him if he wanted a new touch this (his birthday is 4 days before Xmas) and he said no. His touch he jailbroke and used to use it for watching movies etc. He uses his tablet for skype and for some school work since he has a keyboard for his Asus. Now he is only using his iphone but he has had it less than a month. DD14 uses her tablet more than her touch.

Its all a matter of preference.

When I looked on Amazon's site it says you only have 30 days from purchase date. Will they have a special holiday return policy that allows until January 31?

The boys have also mentioned an Ipod touch or Galaxy Tab2..I am so confused right now..lol.

They are not big gamers. They really only want one to access the web (esp. FB), youtube, and music. Of the three which do you think would work best?

How old are your boys? I know a choice between ipod touch and a tablet my DS16 prefers his touch. He just got a new phone (iphone 4s) and now uses that all the time instead of his 2 year old ipod touch. I asked him if he wanted a new touch this (his birthday is 4 days before Xmas) and he said no. His touch he jailbroke and used to use it for watching movies etc. He uses his tablet for skype and for some school work since he has a keyboard for his Asus. Now he is only using his iphone but he has had it less than a month. DD14 uses her tablet more than her touch.

Its all a matter of preference.

They are 14. Their main focus is web browser, youtube, and music..They keep saying that they want something smaller as well so we may end up going with the ipod touch. I just hate paying that much for something so small...lol.

I felt the same way 2 years ago when DS16 got his 2nd touch. He was never without it. He loved it. His iphone 4s has now taken the place of the touch lol. I was able to get it thru BB with a $50 gift card bac. That year TRU had the same deal also. If I have to get one this year I hope they have the same deal again or better :)

They are 14. Their main focus is web browser, youtube, and music..They keep saying that they want something smaller as well so we may end up going with the ipod touch. I just hate paying that much for something so small...lol.

2012 is going to be a great year to buy a tablet -- it's ALREADY been a great year. Nexus was a welcome open entry. Now, with Amazon taking on Apple with a bigger 4g tab, Apple allegedly challenging the Fire with a mini, and Microsoft entering the fray with Windows tabs, 2012 promises to be a competitive market place with great products at great prices. Of course there will be 'other' tablets and leftovers, but I think the value will be found in these products. Choosing the right tablet will be difficult, but making a mistake will be nearly impossible. Yea for us!

We bought four Fires last year and, after a year, are totally delighted. I have learned a little about tablets and how four people use them, so I thought I'd post some tips...

1) If you are buying a tablet for a student, be sure to check in with your school system to see if they are using or are planning to use tablets or e-texts. Ask about how they are using the tablets and what support there will be for student owned tablets. If your kid is going to be carrying a tablet five days a week and using it for classwork and homework, that's probably the one to use for play as well. If the school is handing out iPads, get your kid a TV. There are some terrific academic apps -- flash cards, graphing calculators, foreign language tutors, and even a metronome. Our whole family uses Cozi to keep track of our schedule. I have my youngest put his homework assignments and projects in the To Do list.

2) If you are thinking of using a tablet for work or school, consider the new Windows 8 tablets. They come with Office and promise better integration with your personal computer.

3) Size DOES matter. My 7" Fire slips into my back pocket. So, if I want to use the bathroom or grab a bite to eat at the airport, I can slide the Fire into my pocket and use both hands. People say that magazines and comics work best on the larger screens. I don't look at magazines and comics much.

4) Apps matter. Just like with a PC, start with a list of things you want to do with the tablet, assemble a list of apps that will perform those tasks, then look for a tablet that will run those apps. Even though popular apps tend to find their way to popular tablets, there are exclusives (mostly to iPad) and some apps require specific hardware (camera, gps). A shopping app that uses a camera may not be very useful, if you do not have 3g or 4g service. If your 'killer app' requires flash, then you are going to want to wait for a Windows tab as neither Apple nor the little green monster will support flash going forward.

5) Ecosystem matters. If you already own iTunes or Amazon content, you do not want to have to buy that content again. If you are already a Prime member, Amazon devices can borrow books from the lending library or watch prime videos for no additional charge. Amazon also offers free books and apps everyday.

You're going to be surprised at all the uses you find for your slate. We have Netflix and I enjoy watching a movie when I am working outside or in the basement. I think it would be very cool to plug a Fire HD into a hotel TV to watch Netflix. If you do not want to subscribe to a service, there's a Crackle app which has commercial supported TV and movies. My wife and I each have favorite radio apps. Living in New Hampshire, we have poor radio reception. Internet radio fills that void. I listen to sports and talk radio and she listens to music. My kids listen to Spotify and Pandora. My Fire does not have 3g, but I use Amazon's 'send to kindle' app to store shopping lists and product research. My wife has moved all of her recipes from notecards to a database app. When I travel, I send all my documents to the Fire as well as my itinerary and restaurant information. I put two or three movies on the Fire when I fly. And lots of books. Some I buy, some I download from free sources, and a lot that Amazon offers for free. I probably have a hundred free cookbooks and as many self help and finance books. I used to get stressed when I was stuck somewhere waiting for something. Now, I just read a book.

I'm probably not going to buy a tablet this year. I'm hoping Amazon releases a 7" 4g model soon.

I want to get one of my DDIL's a tablet this year, either the Kindle Fire or the Nook Tablet. I am okay with refurbished if it comes from somewhere that is well known or recommended. I would like to stay at the 150 dollar range. I got a nook color refurbished last year for another DDIL( she asked for the nook) and she is still happy with it. Here are my questions.

Which one is better for books, movies, playing games, searching the web?

Which one has better storage and battery life?

What is the difference in the Kindle Fire and the Kindle Fire HD? (simply as possible)

Is there another tablet I should consider with Black Friday sales approaching?

Keep an eye out on BF Last year I was going to get my DD a 7inch Acer Tablet from BB on BF. I ended up getting the 10inch Acer Iconia for $10 more than what BB was offering the7 inch. I paid $199. I feel they will be even lower than last year. I other tablets than the Kindle Fire because I wanted cameras and also the microsd slot. THis year the Fire has the camera but no microsd slot to increase memory

I want to get one of my DDIL's a tablet this year, either the Kindle Fire or the Nook Tablet. I am okay with refurbished if it comes from somewhere that is well known or recommended. I would like to stay at the 150 dollar range. I got a nook color refurbished last year for another DDIL( she asked for the nook) and she is still happy with it. Here are my questions.

What is the difference in the Kindle Fire and the Kindle Fire HD? (simply as possible)

It's easy to understand that decision. Most people would probably rather do business with Amazon than Walmart. Absent a discount, why would anyone get in a car and deal with a Walmart when they could click a link at Amazon and have the product delivered to their home? For an impulse buy, most people would probable go to Best Buy or Staples where sales associates and presentation are a notch higher (technically anyway).

No knock on Walmart -- I shop there regularly -- but there are things I just don't associate with Walmart.

I have four Fires. I bought three at Staples and one at Walmart. The one I bought at Walmart was advertised with a $50 gift card. When I got to the store (the Sunday the sale started), the store did not have a current flyer, there were no Fires on display, and the sales associate did not know if 1) they had fires, and 2) there was a sale. I waited patiently for the associate to work things out, but only because I was going to get a $50 gift card for my troubles.

I would stay away from Nook simply because of customer service. If you go on the Nook forums, you hear nothing but complaints. Barnes and Noble do not help at all. Amazon has the best customer service out there. They replaced my kindle twice in the first month I had it when I broke the screen. THe go above and beyond what they have to. If your kindle is out of warranty and it breaks or you damage it, call them anyway, they ALWAYS either offer you a low cost replacement of some kind or give you a break of some kindl. I have seen them send a free kindle to someone who has been out of warranty a long time. My son says his kindle fire is the best xmas present he ever got in his whole life. He is 15. I am getting my 23 dd one this year. It's best to ignore all the other big box stores offers on the kindles also, if you buy from them, you follow their return polices. If you buy from amazon, if it's a xmas gift, you have until January 31 to return it if you are unhappy with it or have a problem.

It's easy to understand that decision. Most people would probably rather do business with Amazon than Walmart. Absent a discount, why would anyone get in a car and deal with a Walmart when they could click a link at Amazon and have the product delivered to their home? For an impulse buy, most people would probable go to Best Buy or Staples where sales associates and presentation are a notch higher (technically anyway).

No knock on Walmart -- I shop there regularly -- but there are things I just don't associate with Walmart.

I have four Fires. I bought three at Staples and one at Walmart. The one I bought at Walmart was advertised with a $50 gift card. When I got to the store (the Sunday the sale started), the store did not have a current flyer, there were no Fires on display, and the sales associate did not know if 1) they had fires, and 2) there was a sale. I waited patiently for the associate to work things out, but only because I was going to get a $50 gift card for my troubles.

One thing about buying at Walmart if you buy something and it tears up months later, just take it back and act like a baby and threaten to call home office. They will take it back. Trust me. After working there numerous years I have witnessed holiday items being returned after being purchased several years earlier.

Yes. they always do. Its been Jan 31 the last 2 years

My mom wants to get my nephew a tablet (3 years old this Christmas) All she said is I want it to have Angry Birds on it. I have been researching and I like the Nabi 2 and the Kurio. Does anyone have thoughts on these 2 tablets for kids. Any other ones I should consider?? TIA

TRU is releasing the Tabeo

My mom wants to get my nephew a tablet (3 years old this Christmas) All she said is I want it to have Angry Birds on it. I have been researching and I like the Nabi 2 and the Kurio. Does anyone have thoughts on these 2 tablets for kids. Any other ones I should consider?? TIA

I think some of the children's computers and tablets are interesting, but, in my experience, these tend to have a short useful life. The Fires have a special mode for children and Amazon has lots of content for kids. In the end, this will prove to be less expensive since most of Amazon's offerings are inexpensive or free. I have collected a lot of 'free app of the day' games and interactive books.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmobile-apps&field-keywords=kids

My nephew was not quite two when he started poking and prodding a Fire.

My daughter will be 6 and we are getting her the Nabi 2 for Christmas. It has tons of free apps, music, and games pre-installed. You can also add the Amazon app and download from their website. They have tons of free apps available.

I have spent about a month reviewing all kinds of tablets and really think that the Nabi 2 will be best for us. I did read that the Fire is coming out with a mode for kids, but it still does not include the nice bumper that the Nabi has. You can buy one but you would probably end up spending about the same. I have read tons of reviews for the Nabi and for the most part it got really good reviews.

My daughter will be 6 and we are getting her the Nabi 2 for Christmas. It has tons of free apps, music, and games pre-installed. You can also add the Amazon app and download from their website. They have tons of free apps available.

I have spent about a month reviewing all kinds of tablets and really think that the Nabi 2 will be best for us. I did read that the Fire is coming out with a mode for kids, but it still does not include the nice bumper that the Nabi has. You can buy one but you would probably end up spending about the same. I have read tons of reviews for the Nabi and for the most part it got really good reviews.

The Nabi 2 looks interesting and fun, but, contrary to their advertising, it is not particularly powerful...

http://www.nabitablet.com/specs/nabi2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OZNZG0/ref=sv_kinh_0#kindle-compare

And it's kind of big (especially in thickness) and heavy for a child. I like the bumper, but those are available for the Fire HD starting at $5.

Worst spec on the device would be its battery life -- up to five hours is less than half of the FHD and others. I would speculate this would be less if your kid was watching movies (on a long car ride). The best part about the longer battery life is that you are not always charging -- or waiting for a charge.

I do like that there is an sd slot. You can buy a bunch of cards and fill them with videos for those long car rides. My Fire holds 2-3 movies. FHD should be hold ten or more. (just speculating).

I don't think a kid would be disappointed.

The Nabi 2 looks interesting and fun, but, contrary to their advertising, it is not particularly powerful...

http://www.nabitablet.com/specs/nabi2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007OZNZG0/ref=sv_kinh_0#kindle-compare

And it's kind of big (especially in thickness) and heavy for a child. I like the bumper, but those are available for the Fire HD starting at $5.

Worst spec on the device would be its battery life -- up to five hours is less than half of the FHD and others. I would speculate this would be less if your kid was watching movies (on a long car ride). The best part about the longer battery life is that you are not always charging -- or waiting for a charge.

I do like that there is an sd slot. You can buy a bunch of cards and fill them with videos for those long car rides. My Fire holds 2-3 movies. FHD should be hold ten or more. (just speculating).

I don't think a kid would be disappointed.

I've read all the reviews from Walmart, Amazon, and other places that I found online. I still think that for us the Nabi will work best. I am planning on buying a converter for our car (the kind that turns your cigarette lighter into a regular plug) so we can use the Nabi, her DS, our cell phones, and anything else without having a hundred different car chargers..lol.

Most of the reviews that I read said that the Nabi is pretty quick. I also love the fact that you can use a memory card. This is one of the main reasons we are choosing the Nabi. I've heard alot of great things about the Fire also though. It has been a hard choice. I would love to get the Fire HD for myself...lol.

It has been a hard choice. I would love to get the Fire HD for myself...lol.

That's another dimension of the decision. One of the benefits of buying Fires for all members of a Prime family is that the movies, books, and music are available to all tabs. This is even more attractive with the HDMI out feature -- at the end of a day, you can plug your fire into a tv to watch a movie.

That's another dimension of the decision. One of the benefits of buying Fires for all members of a Prime family is that the movies, books, and music are available to all tabs. This is even more attractive with the HDMI out feature -- at the end of a day, you can plug your fire into a tv to watch a movie.

We don't have a prime membership and probably would not get it. We hardly ever watch movies. I do love to read so I would have to compare the cost of membership to the cost of just buying the downloads.

I think I also read (on here I think) that you can use prime membership on any tablet..

Thanks for the responses. Mom and I were talking today and (I hope she has this wrong) she said my brother and his wife are getting him an I-phone for his birthday!! He will be 3!! I said mom you mean an I pod or an I pad but she insist they said I phone. I am going to have to ask them because that would be really strange in my opinion. If they are getting him any of those the kid type tablet is not going to happen.

Thanks for the responses. Mom and I were talking today and (I hope she has this wrong) she said my brother and his wife are getting him an I-phone for his birthday!! He will be 3!! I said mom you mean an I pod or an I pad but she insist they said I phone. I am going to have to ask them because that would be really strange in my opinion. If they are getting him any of those the kid type tablet is not going to happen.

Bahahaha. I doubt they are getting him an iPhone. I had an argument with a friends mother cuz she said her granddaughter had an new iPhone. I said its her moms old Evo, she argued with me for twenty minutes about it. Lol

We got the kids phones (not smart phones) when they started middle school. We did this because the school was out of town and the kids had to take a late bus that dropped them half a mile from home. I got my oldest a smart phone when he started college. He's really the caretaker of a phone I use a couple weeks a year when we camp. In retrospect, we should have passed on the smart phone.