Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2012

Brad

The snow really must have worked in my favor! I didn't get to target til 6:30 and still got the big Thomas the Train sets I wanted and Chuggington sets. Also got some leapster games. My favorite was the Thomas the Train: TrackMaster Cranky and Flynn Save the Day Playset for 17.98!

SoCal, Lake Elsinore store was marked down yesterday morning... I wasnt able to get there until 11:30am and by that time 2/3 was gone (went the day before and the 1 1/2 isles were full). I was able to get a few things: Wooded activity table $27, Princess tiara plush doll and bath time doll and barbie fairy doll, Dora dress up clothes, Lots of disney's toy story and cars stuff, a few polly pockets (which I use for birthday grab bags). I am going to hit Murrieta after work today... probably not much left but it is worth a try!

All of our Step Two stuff is still 30% off... they still had the big wheel, kitchen, water table and wagon.

Good luck!! It is worth a try! We went last night and someone had just returned a Barbie Jeep! :) You never know what comes back!

Besides, really- what is the difference if they scan an item in a cart or one on the shelf. It all has to be scanned- why does it make such a difference? Scan them and get folks out of the way seems to make way more sense to me. But that is just my 2 cents.

The difference is that they are required to scan and label each and every piece. If they scan one in your basket and then others are pulled from the shelf and sell without getting scanned, their numbers are off, and, again, they get in trouble if they don't scan and label every single piece that is supposed to be there. When I buy multiples of an item, I let them count the number in the basket (when they offer to scan what is in my basket) so they can enter it in their PDAs.

I understand how frustrated you were. I've been there. I've been doing this toy clearance for 10 years now, and I have done the waiting. My assumption isn't that the child was the only reason you were frustrated, just that it added to the situation. I would not be that surprised if they were working slowly. I've seen them be extremely passive aggressive at toy clearance. My point was to have you see their side too. They are trying to work and they get this group of people who are hovering and pulling stuff off the shelves and just watching them and waiting. Personally, I could never do the job because I'd lose it and scream at people. It would be a bit like when your kids are hovering and waiting for you to do something and getting anxious and irritated. Not fun to be them. And, as a result, some of them get unpleasant. They shouldn't but it happens. Sounds like that is probably the kind of people they were. The ones at the store I mentioned are like that. Not a nice group of women. But that whole store, including the top manager, are a nasty lot, so I have low expectations there. That was one of the big reasons I was so shocked to find the basket still there and marked.

I figured I'd get flamed, but I've seen both sides of this problem over the years, so that's my $0.02.

SoCal, Lake Elsinore store was marked down yesterday morning... I wasnt able to get there until 11:30am and by that time 2/3 was gone (went the day before and the 1 1/2 isles were full). I was able to get a few things: Wooded activity table $27, Princess tiara plush doll and bath time doll and barbie fairy doll, Dora dress up clothes, Lots of disney's toy story and cars stuff, a few polly pockets (which I use for birthday grab bags). I am going to hit Murrieta after work today... probably not much left but it is worth a try!

All of our Step Two stuff is still 30% off... they still had the big wheel, kitchen, water table and wagon.

I know I saw the Step Two kitchen set yesterday, but I can't remember which store! It was either La Verne, San Dimas or Covina. I THIINK it was San Dimas as they had more than usual. Won't swear to it though. None of the stores had the usual frantic crowd this year. Most didn't have the 70% signs, so it wasn't drawing people in like it normally would. I think Covina was the store that hadn't started marking, so if you decide to drive all the way up here, it might be worth a stop.They would not have had time to finish yesterday, probably, so it will probably get done today. This is the store on the 10 closest to the 57. I've also had some good luck at the Rancho store in the past, though I didn't go this year. We have a Pokemon tournament in Norwalk tomorrow, so I'll see what is left there. Good luck!

In sporting goods, several stores have trampolines with the netting surround 30-50% right now. Wish we had the space for it, but our backyard has trees placed in all the wrong spots to make one fit well. Kids have to make do with having a tetherball.

On clearances such as the toys which bring in alot of people (Christmas probably does too), it would seem that they could bring in a team either abit early that morning or stay alittle late after closing to do the mark downs, so that it benefits all. The employees aren't rushed or bothered and the customers are happy because they come in and its done. Those are the days the team goes home early because they were in early. I wouldn't think it would take more than an hour if they weren't bothered, maybe even an half hour depending on how much etc? I know there were a few ladies shopping, I was just looking (for me Barbies, none to be found, I was sad I didn't find a Holiday Barbie but really didn't see them after Christmas even at 30%) yesterday and there were about 4 Target team members marking, though most was done when I got there at noon. I talked with one fella and ours still had 50% and he was laughing because they just put up the signs but when they were scanning, it was 70% and they hadn't changed the signs yet. It was not rushed and there were gaps so people had been in that morning. There were even a few lego sets left....I have two teens so no more toys and I am not doing toys for tots anymore (we didn't get boxes this year so not sure if they pulled out of our area or what happened)

On clearances such as the toys which bring in alot of people (Christmas probably does too), it would seem that they could bring in a team either abit early that morning or stay alittle late after closing to do the mark downs, so that it benefits all. The employees aren't rushed or bothered and the customers are happy because they come in and its done. Those are the days the team goes home early because they were in early. I wouldn't think it would take more than an hour if they weren't bothered, maybe even an half hour depending on how much etc? I know there were a few ladies shopping, I was just looking (for me Barbies, none to be found, I was sad I didn't find a Holiday Barbie but really didn't see them after Christmas even at 30%) yesterday and there were about 4 Target team members marking, though most was done when I got there at noon. I talked with one fella and ours still had 50% and he was laughing because they just put up the signs but when they were scanning, it was 70% and they hadn't changed the signs yet. It was not rushed and there were gaps so people had been in that morning. There were even a few lego sets left....I have two teens so no more toys and I am not doing toys for tots anymore (we didn't get boxes this year so not sure if they pulled out of our area or what happened)

I agree. It could be handled better for everyone involved. In the 6 years I have shopped this sale it has been hit or miss on how each store handles it. Some places just do it better than others. Unfortunately for me, which store is doing it better changes every year.

We didn't do toys for tots this year either, but instead I called a local homeless shelter that specializes in homeless families (families with children). They were more than happy to accept donations and were such a pleasure to deal with. I think I will continue to donate to them each year instead.

Brandon Target was still 50% off today and none of the team members had any idea when they were marking down. Very weird, this has never happened before, Im going to go there later tonight and see what happens?

As for Bloomingdale it must of been ransacked, NOTHING but junk left, so I was sure glad I got such a good haul yesterday!

Does anyone know if the sporting goods got marked down today? I have been stalking the jumpy houses, play tents, sleeping bags, and mini trampolines :) These items were not marked down yesterday. Edited by lau5946

Does anyone know if the sporting goods got marked down today? I have been stocking the jumpy houses, play tents, sleeping bags, and mini trampolines :) These items were not marked down yesterday.

They didn't get marked down at my store. I just got back from checking. :(

...it would seem that they could bring in a team either abit early that morning or stay alittle late after closing to do the mark downs, so that it benefits all.

Not sure how that would "benefit all." The clearance isn't some advertised sale. Since it is not, as a customer it is something I consider lucky to hit at the right times, certainly not an entitlement. Forums like this give us a heads up on when clearance MIGHT happen. If I were a store owner I cannot see why I should alter my employees schedules to do something that makes my store lose money. Clearance benefits me at the expense of the store and the manufacturer. I don't want to see them stop clearance entirely because of aggressive and demanding clearance shoppers. They have already cut back clearance by 5% and reduced inventory. Edited by boredbread

My store had everything marked down when it opened. The markdown team was still there (scanning women's lingerie) but they had obviously done the toys first. I thought it was genius b/c you don't get the swarm of hovering toy hounds (me included). It was more plesant for me as a shopper and more plesant for them I'm sure.

At the other store that marked down on Thursday last week the markdown people were super plesant and scanned anything that we asked them to. I tried to only ask about a few things, but they were happy to do it. We had a great experience this year. Some years in the past not so much. It all depends on who you get and what kind of mood they are in.

As of this morning, sporting goods was not marked down yet, but the 30% off signs were turned sideways, so the markdown will be happening today. Half the shopping carts were gone and were scattered throughout the home and bedding section with associates who were restocking.:confused:

Not sure how that would "benefit all." The clearance isn't some advertised sale. Since it is not, as a customer it is something I consider lucky to hit at the right times, certainly not an entitlement. Forums like this give us a heads up on when clearance MIGHT happen. If I were a store owner I cannot see why I should alter my employees schedules to do something that makes my store lose money. Clearance benefits me at the expense of the store and the manufacturer. I don't want to see them stop clearance entirely because of aggressive and demanding clearance shoppers.

Well I disagree that clearance only benefits consumers. If that was so and the store lost so much money, they would curtain their ordering so they didn't have inventory left over. I believe its a marketing strategy to get shoppers in after holidays to continue shopping, I know if I am there, I probably will do other shopping as well. Also, I see clearance sales advertise all over the place. Right now, Home Depot has on their website advertisement for 75% off clearance holiday items. Same as most other stores we have seen, Target doesn't run ads per say for their holiday and toy clearance but I have seen signs hanging in their stores before for clearance and Walmart is advertising clearance on TV. I was just thinking out loud of ways that employees don't feel so swamped and shoppers don't feel compelled to stand there and bug them. There are alot of stores that do restocking, rearranging etc before or after store hours.....

So, my 6yo had one special request for cmas... an Olivia 2-in-1 playset. A playhouse that switch-a-roos into a pirate ship starring Olivia the pig. As nutty as it sounds, I'm STILL working on a toy stash from years of shopping this blasted sale, but do still occasionally get requests that require me to-- (wait for it...) PAY. FULL. PRICE. FOR A TOY. Normally at age 6, she is totally happy with whatever Barbie, Pet Shop, Liv Doll, Zooble, etc., etc., I pull out for gifts. But, she was so intent on this house/ship. I didn't think it would be too hard to find, but it was. Only a couple of Targets had them around here before Christmas, and I got 1 of only 2 left at the beginning of December. Amazon even sold out; ebay was selling them for twice the price.

Bullet bit. $30 spent. She loved it. I was perfectly happy to spend that on her given all the other great toy bargains that abound in my basement. I did not hold out any hope to find it cheaper. But low and behold last week, I found one for 30% off. $10 is $10, so I did the receipt switch out and presto, saved some cash.

Yesterday, I stopped at the OP Super Target on my way to gym class (first thing in the a.m.) and happily fit my Target Toy Bonanza into a little hand held basket (I've come a long way from the overflowing cart of years past). And, yes, one of the things I found was the Olivia house on sale for $8.xx. So what I thought would be full price for her toy ended up to be 70% off in the end. I got a big eye roll from my bargain "hating" husband who never seems to think that my sale shopping makes any sense at all.

I returned it this morning to the Mission Target store if anyone cares! (It might be shelved today.) :))

So, my 6yo had one special request for cmas... an Olivia 2-in-1 playset. A playhouse that switch-a-roos into a pirate ship starring Olivia the pig. As nutty as it sounds, I'm STILL working on a toy stash from years of shopping this blasted sale, but do still occasionally get requests that require me to-- (wait for it...) PAY. FULL. PRICE. FOR A TOY. Normally at age 6, she is totally happy with whatever Barbie, Pet Shop, Liv Doll, Zooble, etc., etc., I pull out for gifts. But, she was so intent on this house/ship. I didn't think it would be too hard to find, but it was. Only a couple of Targets had them around here before Christmas, and I got 1 of only 2 left at the beginning of December. Amazon even sold out; ebay was selling them for twice the price.

Bullet bit. $30 spent. She loved it. I was perfectly happy to spend that on her given all the other great toy bargains that abound in my basement. I did not hold out any hope to find it cheaper. But low and behold last week, I found one for 30% off. $10 is $10, so I did the receipt switch out and presto, saved some cash.

Yesterday, I stopped at the OP Super Target on my way to gym class (first thing in the a.m.) and happily fit my Target Toy Bonanza into a little hand held basket (I've come a long way from the overflowing cart of years past). And, yes, one of the things I found was the Olivia house on sale for $8.xx. So what I thought would be full price for her toy ended up to be 70% off in the end. I got a big eye roll from my bargain "hating" husband who never seems to think that my sale shopping makes any sense at all.

I returned it this morning to the Mission Target store if anyone cares! (It might be shelved today.) :))

I love it when things work out that way!

It is freaking freezing here and the wind is just horrid!!! There were wild carts everywhere in the parking lot - not too safe.

Anyhow - there was still quite a bit left at my Target, even though I didn't really buy much except legos and some pretend play girls stuff. They had tons of the Circo activity table left on an endcap, tons of legos & hot wheels sets. Most of the big stuff was left. Lots of games like Operations etc. I got the Avent sets, Lego City, and some odds and ends.

I know I saw the Step Two kitchen set yesterday, but I can't remember which store! It was either La Verne, San Dimas or Covina. I THIINK it was San Dimas as they had more than usual. Won't swear to it though. None of the stores had the usual frantic crowd this year. Most didn't have the 70% signs, so it wasn't drawing people in like it normally would. I think Covina was the store that hadn't started marking, so if you decide to drive all the way up here, it might be worth a stop.They would not have had time to finish yesterday, probably, so it will probably get done today. This is the store on the 10 closest to the 57. I've also had some good luck at the Rancho store in the past, though I didn't go this year. We have a Pokemon tournament in Norwalk tomorrow, so I'll see what is left there. Good luck!

In sporting goods, several stores have trampolines with the netting surround 30-50% right now. Wish we had the space for it, but our backyard has trees placed in all the wrong spots to make one fit well. Kids have to make do with having a tetherball.

THANKS... Nice to have someone kinda near. Did you see those kitchens at 70% off? The San dimas store... because I don't know the area is this the shopping center close to where the different freeways meet?

THANKS... Nice to have someone kinda near. Did you see those kitchens at 70% off? The San dimas store... because I don't know the area is this the shopping center close to where the different freeways meet?

I am in Moreno Valley. I saw that kitchen set at the Day St store yesterday. They had 3 left.

As of this morning, sporting goods was not marked down yet, but the 30% off signs were turned sideways, so the markdown will be happening today. Half the shopping carts were gone and were scattered throughout the home and bedding section with associates who were restocking.:confused:

Where was that?

It is freaking freezing here and the wind is just horrid!!! There were wild carts everywhere in the parking lot - not too safe.

Anyhow - there was still quite a bit left at my Target, even though I didn't really buy much except legos and some pretend play girls stuff. They had tons of the Circo activity table left on an endcap, tons of legos & hot wheels sets. Most of the big stuff was left. Lots of games like Operations etc. I got the Avent sets, Lego City, and some odds and ends.

What part of Ny are you in and which store are you talking about. I am In Rochester and hit Irondequoit only today. Nothing much except the African American Barbie I hid.

On clearances such as the toys which bring in alot of people (Christmas probably does too), it would seem that they could bring in a team either abit early that morning or stay alittle late after closing to do the mark downs, so that it benefits all. The employees aren't rushed or bothered and the customers are happy because they come in and its done.

The markdown team already starts their day at around 3 or 4 in the morning everyday. they leave around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. They do that to avoid the heavy evening shopping crowd. Same reason they do not work weekends. Occasionally they will work them on an overnight shift (they did it for the hand marked Christmas clearance), but it is rare. And, it doesn't benefit the markdown team, just makes them more resentful to have to work overnight.

Not sure how that would "benefit all." The clearance isn't some advertised sale. Since it is not, as a customer it is something I consider lucky to hit at the right times, certainly not an entitlement. Forums like this give us a heads up on when clearance MIGHT happen. If I were a store owner I cannot see why I should alter my employees schedules to do something that makes my store lose money. Clearance benefits me at the expense of the store and the manufacturer. I don't want to see them stop clearance entirely because of aggressive and demanding clearance shoppers. They have already cut back clearance by 5% and reduced inventory.

Clearance won't stop entirely simply because they have to unload the merchandise, and it is much better for them to get the prices they are getting than to salvage it because salvage companies tend to pay pennies on the dollar (though they have to take it all, even the damaged junk). But I agree, it isn't an entitlement, and I do consider myself lucky when I hit it. Some items I track, like toys, but most shoppers just feel like they hit the lotto when they get awesome clearance deals. Manufacturers hate having to give the stores back money (and they do generally if there is a large scale clearance of something that just doesn't sell), and the stores hate losing money. I have always thought it was crazy to hand mark everything, but I guess they want a tag on it. Seems like it would be easier to do it like they do holiday clearance and just have the employees go through and put it somewhere, but maybe it takes the same amount of time and better the tags are another advertisement of the deal.

Well I disagree that clearance only benefits consumers. If that was so and the store lost so much money, they would curtain their ordering so they didn't have inventory left over. I believe its a marketing strategy to get shoppers in after holidays to continue shopping, I know if I am there, I probably will do other shopping as well. Also, I see clearance sales advertise all over the place. Right now, Home Depot has on their website advertisement for 75% off clearance holiday items. Same as most other stores we have seen, Target doesn't run ads per say for their holiday and toy clearance but I have seen signs hanging in their stores before for clearance and Walmart is advertising clearance on TV. I was just thinking out loud of ways that employees don't feel so swamped and shoppers don't feel compelled to stand there and bug them. There are alot of stores that do restocking, rearranging etc before or after store hours.....

Target HAS curtailed their ordering. Quite a bit, in fact. In years past the toy clearance would have taken up 2-3 aisles in every store and there would be more on end caps. This year it was barely one full aisle at most stores, a couple had an aisle and a half. That's having seen 10 stores locally. The stores DO lose money on those items. No question about it. Sometimes they get money from manufacturers, but only if a large number of a particular item didn't sell. The holiday clearance has also generally been much, much skimpier. They clearance it to recoup as much as possible from what they paid. The mark up from wholesale on most of the toys they sell is 10-20%, so they take a big hit on stuff that has to be sold at lower prices. A lot of the prices they sell for in their ads are loss leaders, intended to get you in the store. If they are already going to have to take a loss on something, advertising it doesn't hurt and helps get you in to buy full price stuff at the same time. That is why clearance is almost always at the back, to get you to walk through all the full price merchandise before you see the deals.

Oh, and most Targets do run overnight crews. Some of the smaller stores don't, and in those, the markdown team comes in with the rest of the morning staff. But if the store runs overnight crews, markdown starts early in the AM.

Edited by lovetoshopCA

I didn't check the price, sorry. The store is right at Arrow Highway and the 57. Easy access from the 10 or 210.

The markdown team already starts their day at around 3 or 4 in the morning everyday. they leave around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. They do that to avoid the heavy evening shopping crowd. Same reason they do not work weekends. Occasionally they will work them on an overnight shift (they did it for the hand marked Christmas clearance), but it is rare. And, it doesn't benefit the markdown team, just makes them more resentful to have to work overnight.

Oh, and most Targets do run overnight crews. Some of the smaller stores don't, and in those, the markdown team comes in with the rest of the morning staff. But if the store runs overnight crews, markdown starts early in the AM.

I'm a late night shopper and I notice a crew of workers coming in at 10:30 right before they close. There is a line of about a dozen empty shopping carts with signs hanging from them. I always wondered what they did throughout the night. None of the other stores in the area do this, only this location. What exactly are they doing? And I know you said you've been clearance shopping for ten years but how did you learn all this in such depth?

There are 3 of the Dodge Charger police car Power Wheels style kids ride on toys at a target a few towns away. I've been wanting one but they've been marked at 50% off for a long time and I just can't justify the $. I called yesterday to check if they had any left and the price. 3 left, still 50% but thought they'd be marked down this AM. So I drove out there today. They were tagged 50% off but I had an employee check because it was too heavy to take to a scanner. Nope, still 50%. He said to just keep calling, but not likely to happen over the weekend so to try on Monday. They also had some wagons at 50% and the LEGO advent calendar was 50%. I'm waiting on all of these things to go 70%. If they don't, I am ok not getting them. I didn't get any Christmas clearance yet this year except a few things of tissue paper. I wanted some gift wrap and present labels but that all sold out immediately around here, the day after Christmas! I didn't find any at ANY stores! I think inventory around here was much less this year. I'm sure crossing my fingers for that vehicle to go to 70%, but my husband is probably doing the opposite!!! :D

I'm a late night shopper and I notice a crew of workers coming in at 10:30 right before they close. There is a line of about a dozen empty shopping carts with signs hanging from them. I always wondered what they did throughout the night. None of the other stores in the area do this, only this location. What exactly are they doing? And I know you said you've been clearance shopping for ten years but how did you learn all this in such depth?

Mostly stocking. For a short while I was actually a straightener, they would assign me an area and I would do nothing all night but straighten, and there were others that unloaded trucks, others that stocked. Sometimes areas are rearranged and new displays set up. Sometimes we came in at 10 or 11, sometimes not until 1 or 2 am. The clearance people would come in very early, about 4 or 5 I think. There was also a cleaning crew that worked all night, but that was a separate company, not employed by Target.