How is your job handled on Black Friday???

angelbabymommy

Last year I worked in retail. You can imagine nobody had the day off.

But, I scheduled minor foot surgery the day before Thanksgiving so that I'd have a doctor's excuse. I couldn't be on my feet 8 hrs but I could hobble in and out of a store! As it turned out though...there was nothing worthwhile for me to go after last year.

• 3 weeks later...
The day after Thanksgiving (e.g. BF) used to be a work day at my engineering firm, but most people found a way to take the day off. Some years ago they changed it to an extension of the Thanksgiving holiday. (I didn't shop much on BF until about three years ago, but have never worked the day in 22 years, usually because I was traveling to visit family.)

Black Friday is normally part of the Thanksgiving holiday for me. BUT every year they change the holiday schedule a little. We used to have Christmas eve off but we do not any more. This year we have Christmas day off and then the day after Christmas because it is a Friday (??). I am glad we have a holiday for BF because my work only allows so many people off at one time. This year I requested Christmas eve thru Jan 2nd off as vacation time in January of 2008 and they have still not decided who can be off and who has to work!! They are doing the same thing for Thanksgiving too, people who requested Monday Tuesday or Wednesday off still do not know if they are going to be allowed to be off. Normally they only let about 2 or 3 (some time as many as 4 off at a time) out of about 50 employees so getting any vacation time approved is VERY FRUSTRATING!!

I am an RN at a hospital and fortunately it is my normal day off this year - but otherwise I would have to take a paid-time off day which is pretty much paid time off I earned and is considered like a planned day off that I "pay myself for". But I wouldnt miss going out for anything and I MORE than save the amount I would make in a day on the deals I get!