Line Jumpers

BFJedi

I think the first 100 customers should get bracelets like at chickfila grand opening.

:gdwelcome: to GottaDeal!

I think that is a good idea. But what would be even BETTER is a % off discount card or even a gift card for say, $50!!!

Yea, I know, I am dreaming!

I agree on the numbers thing. They really need to hand those out. When they hand them out you've got it, and THEN if you want to rotate/go eat/bathroom, etc., there's no real issue about cutting versus not cutting, etc. That would solve a lot of issues. You get there, get a number and leave if you need to. Tell everyone they HAVE to be back at least 1-2 hours before the open (if you can't stand for an hour or two, how will you handle the lines IN the store?), and then there shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, for reference, BB line I was in INSIDE the store was about 3 hours to pay for my camera 2 years ago. I had candy in my purse, so I made a trade. I gave the man with his 7 year old some candy for the kid, and he'd hold my place so I could go to the bathroom!!! :D

My local Best Buy will be having 2 employees in line in plain clothes from midnight on. They are not to tell anyone they are employees. They will monitor the line and anyone line jumping or holding places for people to come later will be noted on a camera phone. when they come out to hand tickets out the manager will walk the line with the employees and make the people go all the way to the back. About time! The word I got is this may be all stores :D

I have to admit that myself and my bro and sis rotate who is outside experiencing the cold. We have two in line, and one in the car warming up, and rotate every half an hour. I can understand the frustration but i think its fair especially for those of us in the North - I live in NJ (fair enough ppl further north can claim its colder) but its pretty bad.

I dont think if one rotates or takes it in turns or have younger children it is unreasonable for them to wait in the cars - the cold can be dangerous, and as long as everyone does their turn in the line i think its fair.

Its the rushers from the back or behind plants or up trees at the last minutes that should be dealt with....

That's what we do too. For the most part we both stand in line, but it's cold, windy, and for the last couple of years, rainy (joy!!), so sometimes we do run to the car and warm up. Nobody has ever said anything...and as a previous poster stated, get to know your neighbors and you shouldn't have a problem.

But those folks who drive up 20 minutes before the store opens and then rush the door....well, they stink!

Ginny

That's completely illogical. Why wouldn't they just have them wear their store uniform and stop people before they even take cuts? It makes more sense to stop the problem immediately rather than later when the line jumper has been in line for 5 hours.

Guest JeepMom

The only reason I don't have a problem with this (well not too badly) is that especially here up north it can get VERY cold, and there are times that people bring kids with them. Not the best idea to do to BEGIN with, but different topic. I would not expect a 12 year old child to stand in 15-20 degree weather. No way. So if one of the parents waits in the car with them or a family member, and then comes over with them, not really a big issue. There are also folks with breathing problems, sick, etc., where it becomes a hardship, so again, not a huge issue. And if it's one person, no big deal (see the kid example). Now if it's 8 people like I saw once, I might get a bit peeved.

My biggest problems are with those that literally stampede from the back and run over people (some using carts), or stand hiding in another area and then rush from another direction to be in there first. Those cause more injuries and problems.

12 is old enough to stay home alone for a few hours. If the child is out shopping, they are old enough to wait in line.

Guest Frieked

No this makes total sense. Let them think they are getting away with it for hours and hours and then just when they think they are getting away with it. to the back of the line with you.

No, it doesn't make sense. You are just asking for trouble and angry customers by making people sit in line all that time and then at the last minute moving them to the back.

That's completely illogical. Why wouldn't they just have them wear their store uniform and stop people before they even take cuts? It makes more sense to stop the problem immediately rather than later when the line jumper has been in line for 5 hours.

I agree totally! But then again, that would be to much like right :D

This is not the right way to handle it... the better way would to have two employees in their uniforms there sitting by the door watching the line... if people saw the employees there they would likely not even try to line jump... catch them in the act, not hours later.

LOL, I love all the holiday spirit being expressed in this thread! BB gun, taser, push in mob formation...........:( I've camped out in a few BF situation and for the Xbox 360 and have never had any problems. If you're planning on getting the tickets/vouchers then you need to be in line. PERIOD.

If you're that close to the front then you need to establish relations to the people around you so when you need to go to the bathroom, get a coffee, whatever.... that you can leave the line for a few minutes and return without incident.

But anybody who thinks they're gonna just magically show up and hop in line an hour before the store opens is nuts. I wouldn't allow it and I would definitely rally the other hundreds in line behind them and make sure they don't stay there.

This is not the right way to handle it... the better way would to have two employees in their uniforms there sitting by the door watching the line... if people saw the employees there they would likely not even try to line jump... catch them in the act, not hours later.

:gdyeahthat:

I agree... I would rather prevent a situation from happening than deal with the repercussions later.. People get fired up when it comes to things like PSPs and TVs. i would hate to be the manager that has to deal with the fights or drama that comes after that.

The way I look at is, the person line jumping knows they are doing wrong when they do it. So getting upset about wasting all there time by cheating and cutting in front of people that were there for hours more and followed the rules is just plain dumb. The other reason is safety issues. Think about this you have 2 best buy employes monotoring hundreds of people at 3:00 am in the morning you get a group of people that line cut and they tell them to move to the back of the line someone gets pissed off and decides screw you buddy make me move best buy employs are now on the ground in a huge riot of people fighting over there wrong doing. So the objective of doing things this way, is to send them in regular clothes and have them monitor the line and take care of the cheaters when there is lights on and managers and many many best buy employees to keep the situation under control. So I again say this is the logical way of handeling this

LOL, I love all the holiday spirit being expressed in this thread! BB gun, taser, push in mob formation...........:( I've camped out in a few BF situation and for the Xbox 360 and have never had any problems. If you're planning on getting the tickets/vouchers then you need to be in line. PERIOD.

If you're that close to the front then you need to establish relations to the people around you so when you need to go to the bathroom, get a coffee, whatever.... that you can leave the line for a few minutes and return without incident.

But anybody who thinks they're gonna just magically show up and hop in line an hour before the store opens is nuts. I wouldn't allow it and I would definitely rally the other hundreds in line behind them and make sure they don't stay there.

I am talking about good old Wal-mart!! If BB is as organized as everyone is saying, then that would be great. Wal-mart loves the publicity they get from it all.

12 is old enough to stay home alone for a few hours. If the child is out shopping, they are old enough to wait in line.

Umm...no offense but I wouldn't leave a child alone at home for a few hours like that. I used to live in Orlando and a girl down the street was kidnapped from her house while she was alone, and she was 13. Scared the crap out of me and I slept with the lights on for weeks after that.

As a solo BFer .. I usually make a deal with the people directly behind me so far as potty breaks, HOT coffee breaks .. etc .. they let me make a quick run .. I bring them back something, my treat. So far has worked every time - but I am usually not gone for more than 10 minutes.

I also allow people to leave their place in line to smoke .. but I do that as a public service.

Maybe I should take some of the political signs from the road, paint over them and add my own messages to bring with me on Black Friday. They can say something like "line jumping will not be tolerated" and "no tag-team waiting in line". Think if I set them up before everyone else shows up, they will be effective?

A couple of women were arrested for taking those signs. Their husbands gave them the idea to go around collect them for recycling the metal part of the signs. LOL They showed their pickup on the news, it was loaded with signs!! I don't remember what exactly happened to them, this was a couple of years ago but I know it wasn't much, maybe a small fine. But I know alot of people got a good laugh about it because everyone was just happy to see them G O N E ! Only to find out it was 2 housewives acting on a dumb idea from their husbands. Their husbands didn't even go with them, they sent them out while they stayed home. :rotflol:

Guest ladakn99

thats smart, but it would be more logical if they had some form of identification, therefore, some of us can do a late night run for food or something...

if we can't do that, that would totally suck