Line Jumpers

BFJedi

You know who I am referring to.. the deceptive people in front of you that stand with you for hours and hours on typically the coldest day of the season. An hour prior to the doors opening at Best Buy, family members that have been hiding out in comfy, warm vehicles in the parking lot somehow sneak in line with their family member planted on the line all evening/morning with you. It just isn't fair to those that go on Black Friday solo missions as your position in line usually increases by +30 to +50 by the time the doors finally unlock and open. This occurred last year at my Best Buy, preventing me from picking up one of the very few copies of 24 Season 3 DVD set.

Maybe I should take some of the political signs from the road, paint over them and add my own messages to bring with me on Black Friday. They can say something like "line jumping will not be tolerated" and "no tag-team waiting in line". Think if I set them up before everyone else shows up, they will be effective?

At our local Best Buy employees are always wandering the line and very good at spotting those friends and family members who suddenly appear. They have no problems with sending them to the back of the line. I would point it out to those employees when it happens.. they just might surprise you!

The only reason I don't have a problem with this (well not too badly) is that especially here up north it can get VERY cold, and there are times that people bring kids with them. Not the best idea to do to BEGIN with, but different topic. I would not expect a 12 year old child to stand in 15-20 degree weather. No way. So if one of the parents waits in the car with them or a family member, and then comes over with them, not really a big issue. There are also folks with breathing problems, sick, etc., where it becomes a hardship, so again, not a huge issue. And if it's one person, no big deal (see the kid example). Now if it's 8 people like I saw once, I might get a bit peeved.

My biggest problems are with those that literally stampede from the back and run over people (some using carts), or stand hiding in another area and then rush from another direction to be in there first. Those cause more injuries and problems.

Not Best Buy, But last year I sent my son 15 to stand in line at Target to get to digital camars, Thats all I wanted from there, He was 3 in line. I got done with WM and decided to go to target and stay with him as this was his first black friday, My daughter and I got there 15 minutes before the store opened, and I parked the car she went to find her brother who was now number 6 no big deal. I stayed out of the line and by the cars by the doors far enough from the line to finish my smoke. I will not smoke in any line. When I was done I was going to join him, An employee tried to tell me I could not go to him, and I am sorry but I was going to get to my son, Still only wanting the 2 camares. When I did get to him right as the door opened, these wonderful people had tried to run the door, and knock over the employee opening the door and he wasnt going to have that, so he was protecting her and they were pushing him. He really had no idea how people are, and Ive taught him to be polite and respect people. My daughter went into the store to get the camares and I went to help him get out of the crowd that was now coming close to being crushing him between the door and he is not a little person.

So to answer your question I will join my son or my daughter in a line if I feel they need me there. But I would not do it just get more of an item that I had not already planned for. I would like if it's true to get to desktops or a desktop and a lap top as I have four children, and if Best buy in my area does have these sales he will be in the line and do the waiting and yes I will join him,

I totally understand joining a family member in line, especially a child.

However, even if you have NO intention of getting an additional item, nobody else knows that! Heck, EVERYONE can say, "oh no, I'm not getting another one of those laptops, I'm just standing with my son/sister/mother/aunt/etc" and then get inside and you each grab the items.

Most of us have been the 'victims' of 'line hoppers' and I tell you, THAT is where a lot of the violence comes from. Now I will never hurt someone, or allow myself to be hurt just for the sake of a bargin price, but people get crazy this time of year. Add frigid weather, sleep deprevation and a need to use the bathroom and you have a recipie for madness...

However, even if you have NO intention of getting an additional item, nobody else knows that! Heck, EVERYONE can say, "oh no, I'm not getting another one of those laptops, I'm just standing with my son/sister/mother/aunt/etc" and then get inside and you each grab the items.

Most of us have been the 'victims' of 'line hoppers' and I tell you, THAT is where a lot of the violence comes from. Now I will never hurt someone, or allow myself to be hurt just for the sake of a bargin price, but people get crazy this time of year. Add frigid weather, sleep deprevation and a need to use the bathroom and you have a recipie for madness...

:gdiagree:

I have to admit that myself and my bro and sis rotate who is outside experiencing the cold. We have two in line, and one in the car warming up, and rotate every half an hour. I can understand the frustration but i think its fair especially for those of us in the North - I live in NJ (fair enough ppl further north can claim its colder) but its pretty bad.

I dont think if one rotates or takes it in turns or have younger children it is unreasonable for them to wait in the cars - the cold can be dangerous, and as long as everyone does their turn in the line i think its fair.

Its the rushers from the back or behind plants or up trees at the last minutes that should be dealt with....

I know all about line jumpers, and Ive had to deal with them every black friday. But I also am understanding when some one say's, I am here and my mom or who ever will be here in a little bit, They volenteered to get in the line first, as they were closer to the store. Like I stated last year was the first year I had people in different stores. He was the only one I was worried about. I had to deal with late comers at walmart for the laptop, But then I knew who was behind me and who was in front, and who had a family memeber coming.

I feel sorry for kids that get used as placeholders. That aside, it ticks me off when people emerge 15 minutes prior to opening and join their kids/family/friends in line. If you haven't been in line the entire time (except for bathroom breaks) you don't deserve to join them in line. You are ruining the experience for everyone.

You say your children are too young to wait in the cold...don't bring them. Can't find a babysitter....sorry.

The only clemency that should be allowed is to disabled and/or elderly individuals (and by elderly I don't mean overweight 40 year olds).

IF YOU AREN'T WILLING TO FREEZE YOUR ARSE OFF IN THE COLD WEATHER, YOU DON'T DESERVE TO CUT IN FRONT OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN WAITING LONGER THAN YOU HAVE.

Don't ruin it for everyone else.

I feel sorry for kids that get used as placeholders. That aside, it ticks me off when people emerge 15 minutes prior to opening and join their kids/family/friends in line. If you haven't been in line the entire time (except for bathroom breaks) you don't deserve to join them in line. You are ruining the experience for everyone.

You say your children are too young to wait in the cold...don't bring them. Can't find a babysitter....sorry.

The only clemency that should be allowed is to disabled and/or elderly individuals (and by elderly I don't mean overweight 40 year olds).

IF YOU AREN'T WILLING TO FREEZE YOUR ARSE OFF IN THE COLD WEATHER, YOU DON'T DESERVE TO CUT IN FRONT OF PEOPLE WHO HAVE BEEN WAITING LONGER THAN YOU HAVE.

Amen! Last year in the Detroit area it was close to 0 Farenheit with the windchill. We talked to the people around us and agreed to be cool (no pun intended) and allow each other to rotate in and out of the line to use the bathroom, go get coffee, warm up for a spell in the car, etc... The evening turned out great and everyone got what they wanted when the store opened. It's amazing how good things go when people use respect and common sense. :fluffy:

So to answer your question I will join my son or my daughter in a line if I feel they need me there. But I would not do it just get more of an item that I had not already planned for. I would like if it's true to get to desktops or a desktop and a lap top as I have four children, and if Best buy in my area does have these sales he will be in the line and do the waiting and yes I will join him,

:eek::no::mad:

sounds like the later is closer to the trouth than the former comment. especially the part where you admit to buying two cameras, which would not have been possible unless you line jumped, which you did.

last year at CompUSA MM sale I was about 5th in line, then a van drove up and 4 people got out to join the people up front. That didn't sit well with the 100+ already there and they had to leave. About 3 people joined the guys in front of me that had been in and out of the line all night, they were driving around town and reporting on what the other lines looked like and we all learned a lot from them as to how the lines looked at CC, BB, etc. So they actually were welcomed and not really hated as the first people.

I can say I've never stood in line at BB, but unfortunately this happens often w/ friends and family of people. I had this happen one year at KB Toys. I let them have it. Fortunately, they got me a ticket just in case as 5 members of the family came in front of me when I thought I was 2nd in line.

:g_thumble

Line swappers are OK to me unless each member of the 'team' is intending to each pick up something for themselves. If a family is doing the line relay thing so they can all get A SINGLE computer or SINGLE TV or whatever I am not offended by it at all. I am only annoyed when 5 people rotate for the same place in line all night and then join up at doors opening to EACH buy one of everything.

So what about this scenario: My friend and I plan to try BF at Best Buy this year. He wants the LCD monitor, and I want the laptop. If we show up at 10pm, we will have to go to the bathroom at some point. We were thinking that one person could leave, use the bathroom, and pick up a late night dinner from Taco Bell. Then the other would leave later to use the bathroom and get more coffee. Does that seem unfair to anyone? If so, are we supposed to sit there and not move out of line for 8 hours?

This is why it's good to go to Best Buy as your first stop. They've gained the rep for being probably the best at keeping line-jumpers away. There's an especially big guy that works at the local Best Buy here, and last year he was standing in front of the store right as they were about to open, shouting at everyone who tried to run from their car to the front of the store, when they had just gotten there 10 minutes earlier. I don't think a single jumper got ahead of the front of the line. Of course, it helps that they do have the entrance roped off.

Compare that with CompUSA, which opened at midnight last year. Here, the line was extending towards the left side of the store. But at about 11:45, people started lining up on the other side. Despite people screaming at them from the line, employees did nothing. I'm pretty sure I saw a police officer there, but he also didn't do anything about the cheaters at the other side of the store. Then, doors opened at midnight and even more line-jumpers rushed the door, again not phasing the complacent employees who clearly didn't care about customer loyalty at all. And of course, I won't even get into what happened on the inside of the store, which probably would have made people who lived in Hoovervilles feel right at home.

Guest ladakn99

The Only Way You Are Guaranteed What You Want Is If You Are first In Line, Regardless, You Let Whoever You Want In Front Of You,

If You Are First, You Control The Line Period

Line jumping is an unfair practice and shouldn't be allowed but what I have a bigger problem with is Wal Mart's BF deals. Our WM is 24 hr. and people were in line for laptop's last year the night before the sale at exact selling spot. The had only 30 at our store so it was rediculous to try and get in line at 1 AM as we tried. They never said that you could line up a day ahead of time (which I wouldn't have anyway) and feel this is an unfair practice.:mad:

I may be getting old and jaded, but I say, if you use "revolving" people to keep 1 spot in line, that's what you get, 1 spot. If you have people waiting in the car, they can enter the store after every single person that has been in line all night.

The best solution is get to know everybody around you, after all, you'll be with them long enought to equal 3 months of dating :) At least you'll know to expect 16 people to jump out of the VW bug and jump ahead of you and what they are planning on buying.

If you have to get nasty, do it! Just pretend you're at the DMV and have been in line for 4 hours :)

The police have NO authority in a BB parking lot, unless you break the law, which "cutting" in line is not!

It is up to the employees to do crowd control.

Well im 6 months pregnant and my fiance will have to be in line ...because I cant be in the cold..for so many hours, especially standing...though we are going as a couple, no extra grabbing. But I will put up a fuss with anyone who has a problem that I was in the car waiting. Yes, I will join him at times during the wait, but I can't stand there the complete time.

Well im 6 months pregnant and my fiance will have to be in line ...because I cant be in the cold..for so many hours, especially standing...though we are going as a couple, no extra grabbing. But I will put up a fuss with anyone who has a problem that I was in the car waiting. Yes, I will join him at times during the wait, but I can't stand there the complete time.

Bring a chair with you so you can sit while hubby stands, then go to car warm up and the chair will be holding your spot ;)

That is NOT what she is saying! Personally I don't care what other people think who doesn't like the fact that my mom will join me at 2am in line. I think as long as you have a place in line then people should mind their own business since I refuse to pee on myself. I get annoyed when walk ups who doesn't have a place in line tries to get in before I do. I think if you want to reduce the number of people that do this then you should get there early. I mean I don't mind it as long as there is no more than 2 people coming up for one party, but in my case me and my mom combined only get 1 ticket between us since I think it's only fair.

And if stores would just hand out tickets for items before opening, then this thread would be mute! simple solution to a out of hand situation. but since I believe the stores like to watch the mad dash or see all the free publicity on TV, that won't happen! Mainly Wally World, there on the news every year.

I was under the impression that Best Buy generally uses the voucher system. I did the Wally Mart line last year and it was horrible. Standing outside in Chicago at 2AM. We were 5th in line but by the time the doors opened a huge mass of people shoved in before us.

I was thinking of going to BB super early and being the first couple people especially if they use vouchers/tickets. Is this not standard at all BB's?