GottaDEAL 2024 Prize Club Discussion Thread

Brad

I have lost interest to some extent.  Most of the participants I enjoyed discussing deals and tech with have dropped off.  All I ever really wanted were the cool GD t-shirts and they are getting more difficult to acquire.  Let's try to focus on deals, ads, and lines for 2024.

I know this is more difficult as BF deals and events wane, but there are still deals to be had and lines to be waited in.  I know ads are spread out and deals are disappointing, but we all need to shop for Christmas and there are always deals to be had.  

Personally, my kids have new PCs (last year) and new phones (year before) and I have no idea what to give them this year.  I am hopeful that this forum will inspire me.

• Like 3

Happy November!!

My daughter, Kendall, just returned from her first two week training camp of luge season in Lake Placid, but unfortunately it was too warm to keep ice on the track, so there was no sliding. Just lots of conditioning and starts training, as well as team bonding, and even a day of hiking - in shorts, in the Adirondacks, in late October!! She goes back to Lake Placid on December 11 for two weeks, comes home for Christmas, and then goes back for another week starting on New Year's Day. This is her first year on this higher level team, so this season will be much busier than in the past. 

DSC_0420.jpg

• Like 6

On 11/4/2023 at 9:05 PM, len_mullen said:

I have lost interest to some extent.  Most of the participants I enjoyed discussing deals and tech with have dropped off.  All I ever really wanted were the cool GD t-shirts and they are getting more difficult to acquire.  Let's try to focus on deals, ads, and lines for 2024.

I know this is more difficult as BF deals and events wane, but there are still deals to be had and lines to be waited in.  I know ads are spread out and deals are disappointing, but we all need to shop for Christmas and there are always deals to be had.  

Personally, my kids have new PCs (last year) and new phones (year before) and I have no idea what to give them this year.  I am hopeful that this forum will inspire me.

I will say I always enjoy your tech posts. Always something new to learn. 🙂

And now that I'm in a house, I have more flexibility with tech options! [For example: Looking at antennas lately for possible install next spring (don't want to deal with it in crappy weather). I have ideas but not sure what the best option might be.] 

Considering a keypad/smart deadbolt but not tooooo smart - just want something that could make it easier for my kitty sitters to come and go without having to make sure they have a physical key. 

Looking at home security stuff - hearing pretty solid things about a Simplisafe system but need to figure out what pieces I'll want/need if I decide to go that route. So many choices! (Also, are there any deals on this kind of stuff around BF??? Rookie homeowners wanna know!!! LOL) 

Edited by wittenlover

2 hours ago, wittenlover said:

I will say I always enjoy your tech posts. Always something new to learn. 🙂

And now that I'm in a house, I have more flexibility with tech options! [For example: Looking at antennas lately for possible install next spring (don't want to deal with it in crappy weather). I have ideas but not sure what the best option might be.] 

Considering a keypad/smart deadbolt but not tooooo smart - just want something that could make it easier for my kitty sitters to come and go without having to make sure they have a physical key. 

Looking at home security stuff - hearing pretty solid things about a Simplisafe system but need to figure out what pieces I'll want/need if I decide to go that route. So many choices! (Also, are there any deals on this kind of stuff around BF??? Rookie homeowners wanna know!!! LOL) 

Thank you.  If you PM me the gps coordinates of the location where you plan to install an antenna,  I can see what reception should be like for you and recommend an antenna.  My antennas are in my attic, so weather is never an issue.  I would never put anything smart at the perimeter of my home.  Too much risk.  I prefer a deadbolt that cannot be opened from outside.  I would never leave a key outside either.  If you have a car with a keypad entry system, you could hide a key in the/each car.  Some phone cases have compartments for credit cards.  That is a good place for a spare key.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/the-best-home-security-system/

• Like 1

In the 20 years the site has been around, the Black Friday tradition has changed quite a bit.  What has been the best tradition the last few years has been the prize club.  Sign me up for another year, While not the most active, I still love the interactions on the site but more importantly in the Club forum.

• Like 5