What are your Black Friday dislikes?

msyves

Ok, we always talk about the things we love about Black Friday, but what are the things we don't like? I can't stand to see people collect multiple items of a hot item and load their basket to then turn around and not purchase any of it. Why be greedy?!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ilikefree said:

The people who take kids out who are clearly too young and are having meltdowns.

When the sales started in the middle of the night, and people had their littles out in that mess, I used to get so angry.

I guess, for me, the biggest dislike is when store employees don't know what's going on or where things are located. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, ilikefree said:

The people who take kids out who are clearly too young and are having meltdowns.

Yes, this burns me up. Why drag them to the store and get mad because they can't handle it the stress.

23 minutes ago, Brad said:

- stores having more than one "Black Friday sale" (especially when they take place on a random Thursday in October)

- stores no longer having paper ads (or in some cases no digital ads either)

Yes, the multiple Black Friday sales. I do miss getting the paper ad. I would get up early to grab the newspaper just to go through all the store ads.

• Like 2

I don't like how there's no "Black Friday" anymore.  They start the sales early, some things aren't even really great deals.  It feels like a huge bait and switch alot of the time.  I know there are a few deals that are on BF but I think you know what I mean.

• Like 6

You guys have summed it up....all of these crazy sales (and some not actually being sales), not being able to look at the paper ads and make a plan, not being able to plan what to purchase efficiently because of all of these mini sales...not leaving the house at 2am to grab hot chocolate and get in line until 6am...Sam's Club not having their membership giftcard on sale, only deal for signing up for credit card (which I already have). not being able to hear the "roar" of excitement when they tear open the pallets at walmart, lol.

• Like 6

I used to love waiting out in the cold. Pulling an all nighter. I am both glad and disappointed they have gone away with this. My schedule now is more conducive to internet shopping. But the early sales must go away. While there is still competition between retailers, there is not as much competition to get people in with loss leaders. Hence fewer good door busters. 

• Like 2

I dislike some of my favorite places to shop BF have now closed, the ads are no longer "leaked", BF not really being on just the Friday after Thanksgiving and into the weekend... Even though I'm older I still miss the walking through the crowds to get the must have items on my list, now there's online only sales or it's just easier to get it online once the sale starts... I miss the hustle and bustle of BF, getting up early to stand in lines at 4/5/6 in the morning(I don't miss standing outside in the cold) and hitting up at least 3-4 stores before 8/9 am and then making my way back home for breakfast of leftovers before I head back to bed...

• Like 5

I can't stand being in a store and everyone is rushing around trying to get the deals and there is always one or two people in the store, usually Walmart, that are just slowly walking around and don't have a clue of what they are doing and holding up traffic in the aisles!!!  Get out of the way!!  I also hate to see that people who missed the deals cause they came late are taking stuff out of other people's buggy when they are not looking!!  

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, tracy0504 said:

I miss the hustle and bustle of BF, getting up early to stand in lines at 4/5/6 in the morning(I don't miss standing outside in the cold) and hitting up at least 3-4 stores before 8/9 am and then making my way back home for breakfast of leftovers before I head back to bed...

I remember one year, my sister and I stopped at Sonic to get a Coke on our way back to the house. It was probably around 8:30 am or so. The carhop said "Y'all going shopping?" We laughed and said "No, we're done! We're going to pick up our kids so we can go eat breakfast." LOL

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Bopeep said:

I remember one year, my sister and I stopped at Sonic to get a Coke on our way back to the house. It was probably around 8:30 am or so. The carhop said "Y'all going shopping?" We laughed and said "No, we're done! We're going to pick up our kids so we can go eat breakfast." LOL

My kids were still sleep when I got home… didn’t even know I was gone… I was able to unload and hide all the presents before breakfast🤣🤣

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rwking75 said:

Excluded items from sales! Things like consoles, Legos, amongst others are not part of Sales....ahem Target and your 25% off any toy BS!

Yeah that is annoying, although usually it's because of manufacturer pricing/advertising rules and not directly the store's fault.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rwking75 said:

Excluded items from sales! Things like consoles, Legos, amongst others are not part of Sales....ahem Target and your 25% off any toy BS!

And Macy's coupons!  I couldn't tell you the last time I was able to use one, because whatever I am buying is always excluded! 

I really just dislike missing out on good deals, but I MISS the years when Macys would hire a DJ and get the crowd hopping all throughout the store on Thanksgiving night.  Now it's like a ghost town on any regular day, and BF isn't much better.  80% of BF fun for me is people watching...with most sales happening online, there are fewer people for me to gawk at LOL

I agree with the people saying there shouldn’t be kiddos out in the sales. Seeing them in the stores and knowing what was gonna happen when the sales started always made me nervous. 

But as Yondu would say; “they fit in places other people couldn’t. Good for thievin’.” 😆

• Haha 1

I dislike how most of the sales have moved away from actual Black Friday but sales are dispersed all month long. Nothing to compare to see who has the better price. Lack of paper ads that can be carried with you. People who grab all of one item only to sell it online later. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, okannie said:

I dislike how most of the sales have moved away from actual Black Friday but sales are dispersed all month long. Nothing to compare to see who has the better price. Lack of paper ads that can be carried with you. People who grab all of one item only to sell it online later. 

I agree. We need the paper ads so we can spread them out and see how the various store prices compare. I also don't like how stores will have basically the same item on sale with some small difference to their item so you have a hard time comparing them.

I have to add another … when you order a Black Friday deal and something totally different shows up!   Now I have to hope I can still get what I ordered. Because I’m sure my stuff went somewhere else too. And then I get to try and return what I didn’t order and get the right stuff to come! Ugh. Not a good start to the online sales this year. 

• Like 1

I hate not having paper ads anymore. I can't even get a newspaper in my little town anymore but last time I did there were only like 4 ads. 

I hate how drawn out it all is now. I miss getting up at 2 am(or the one year I pulled an all nighter because I got a new book and finished it 15 minutes before we needed to get up to go shopping 🤣) being at Walmart at 4am, then hitting Walgreens (B1G2 candles and wrapping paper deals) Dollar General and usually home. It was fun! I enjoy online shopping but it's not the same as going out with my mom and sister and getting giggly/punchy because we're tired and eating at Taco Bell because it's the only place open that has Pepsi. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 1:46 PM, Bopeep said:

When the sales started in the middle of the night, and people had their littles out in that mess, I used to get so angry.

I guess, for me, the biggest dislike is when store employees don't know what's going on or where things are located. 

We took my niece one of the first years we went and she was maybe 2? 4am opening and my sister had to be at work at 6am so my mom and I were taking her home with us. I was on runner duty because my mom parked that baby in the cart on top of our coats and she took a wonderful nap. I'd go get things off the list and bring them to her then repeat. 

That's the only time we've taken a kid and I think if you HAVE to bring one that's the way to do it. But getting mad at clearly overtired kids isn't okay and I definitely side eyed the people bringing babies into the hotspots that could get a little rough like the towels, movies, the it toy. No deal is worth a baby getting hit on accident!

• Like 3