What are your Black Friday dislikes?

msyves

I dislike the sales starting so early in the month. For our house we normally pay bills around the month of November so that checks are put up for Black Friday. It would give us 4 checks to use towards Christmas and we would do 99% shopping that way. Now with the deals starting at the end of October/beginning of November it throws us completely off. I might get a lot of hate for this but I miss Black Friday in stores on Thanksgiving. We have 4 kids and only have one person that can watch them (my mom). The only day she gets off is on Thanksgiving so she would watch the kids for us when we would leave until whatever time we got back Friday morning. We would eat our Thanksgiving meal around 1 p.m. then leave around 2 to head to the stores. She would have the kids help her put up her Christmas tree and drink hot cocoa while my husband and I shopped. Now I just grab whatever I can online. Definitely not like it used to be. 

Online only items.  Wonder why b&m stores are closing.  Online isn’t better, colors vary way too much, inventory isn’t correct, items get canceled.  While convenience wins online, that’s pretty much it for me.  I like to see and feel fabrics.  For example, some flannel is thinner than others.  Try matching a black pair of shoes with a black dress online.

And don’t even get me started on returns.  

I miss the good ol days of physical shopping.

Edited by Khobbs1
  • Like 6

On 11/19/2023 at 5:45 AM, Khobbs1 said:

Online only items.  Wonder why b&m stores are closing.  Online isn’t better, colors vary way too much, inventory isn’t correct, items get canceled.  While convenience wins online, that’s pretty much it for me.  I like to see and feel fabrics.  For example, some flannel is thinner than others.  Try matching a black pair of shoes with a black dress online.

I feel this in my bones. DS12 has a very specific type of suit he likes to wear - velvet, Isaac Mizrahi.  They stopped being available a couple of years ago, so he pivoted (by force) to another brand that he complains about every time he wears.  So I was thrilled to see IM velvet suits showing up again, even if they were only online.  I bought two, in different sizes, because it was difficult to find the measurements and he can be hard to fit sometimes.  We got the first one, which was a size larger than he normally wears, but I knew I could at least hem the pants if it was a huge difference.  Way too small, even the length was off - but the worse part was the fabric itself felt so cheap.  It's nothing like the velvet on his previous suit (we still had one and got it out to compare, same color and everything). The new one is so cheaply made that I don't think I will bother with that brand again.  Online can definitely help with the convenience factor, but when it comes to textiles, I really want to have it in my hands before purchasing. Now I have the hassle of returning everything, and we are still on the hunt for the perfect velvet suit. 🙄 🤣  #firstworldproblems