Why Do People Take their Small Kids on Black Friday

sastolfi

I haven't read all the posts to this thread but...

I've never taken dd out with me before on BF.

This year she is coming with me. It is not extremely cold here (az), but she will be bundled up with a warm blanket. We're not getting in line overnight anywhere, but we are going to be out around 3am/4am. Being that she wakes up every day at 4am anyway it's not a huge change in her routine.

If I could I'd get a babysitter. But the only one that I trust just moved with her hubby (airforce) to Korea. I'd leave her with my parents that morning, but my mom is fighting through chemo and my dad his own treatments he's fighting through. All that disregarded, we can't afford a sitter anyway.

There are things that my daughter really needs this year, that the bargains on BF will get me out there for. She is just one child so when she isn't sitting on my lap in line she will be sitting in a cart at the store with me right there holding onto it.

Do I want to bring her with me? No, of course not. However, we don't have the option of shopping online this year (I only have access maybe 1-2x per week), there is no babysitter I'd trust with my daughter. Sometimes you have to think about do I go wait in line with my kid in the crowds to get what we really truly need at prices we might actually be able to afford - or do we not go and therefor not get the things that are needed for my child.

I'm sure I'm not explaining that all right but.. I'm trying.

For example, my dd has grown 7 inches in the past MONTH. She was wearing 2T. I had bought a bunch of 3T stuff on clearance last year thinking she could wear it now. But she skipped that size and is now straddling the sizes 4T/5T. Therefor no winter clothes that fit her, and no clothes other than shorts and tank tops that fit her now. I've been trying to add fabric to her existing clothes - but even at her young age she notices the difference. And even then, it doesn't help with the fact that all of the clothes are tight in the butt and under her arms. So we're going to do what we have to this year, and that means waiting in line together to get what she needs. I can only hope that they have shoes somewhere at good prices too - because I know those items days are numbered too.

sorry. end rant.

For me I feel better about it knowing that she'll never be out of my sight, that it doesn't get frigid here, and that she'd normally be awake during most of the hours we're in line anyway.

I understand why people do it... sometimes you just don't have any other option if BF is imperative for you to shop within your Christmas budget. But I have been at Walmart at 4 a.m., waiting, and have seen the very small children and babies. I wonder how cranky they are later on! Mostly I worry about their safety. I saw a newborn in their car carrier, and I would hate to see a baby get knocked out of a cart by a crazy shopping-mob. Luckily, I have never had to resort to taking mine.

I agree. As much as my younger kids bug me to take them year after year, until they are old enough to stay safe and do something to help out, I see no reason in taking them to stanhd out in the cold all night. Yes to make them happy my wife will drop them off for an hour or so just so they THINK they were on line for Black Friday, but they are home sleeping by the time the action really starts. Last thing I need as a father is to spend the time trying to locate lost children or having them slow me down, rather than racing around shopping and getting out and hitting the next store.

Last year one of the people on line with me had her daughter with her. Her daughter got bored and needed to get some movement rather than be bored on line so she was playing in the parking lot. She broke her leg falling and then almost got run over by an @$$hole speeding off when he saw the lines and decided to leave. IF you're going to take kids, be responsible and keep a close watch on them. Better yet, find someone to watch them since if you take them with you they are most likely going to get hurt.

I understand why people do it... sometimes you just don't have any other option if BF is imperative for you to shop within your Christmas budget. But I have been at Walmart at 4 a.m., waiting, and have seen the very small children and babies. I wonder how cranky they are later on! Mostly I worry about their safety. I saw a newborn in their car carrier, and I would hate to see a baby get knocked out of a cart by a crazy shopping-mob. Luckily, I have never had to resort to taking mine.

Keep in mind, in NY there was a greeter in Walmart that was trampled. He was an adult and couldn't handle the mad rush, WTF do people think young kids can stay safe?

Yes to make them happy my wife will drop them off for an hour or so just so they THINK they were on line for Black Friday, but they are home sleeping by the time the action really starts.

It's the same with me. We take them for a little while in the beginning because since our whole family goes they like to feel like they are part of the excitment, but by the time we go in the store they are already home sleeping.;)

Personally, I would never take a child out on Black Friday but I can see how someone may have too. Not everyone is lucky enough to have someone to watch their kids like I did. I look for more kids to be out this Black Friday due to the bad state of the economy. A lot of people are going to need those great deals in order for their kids to have presents under the tree come Christmas morning

Keep in mind, in NY there was a greeter in Walmart that was trampled. He was an adult and couldn't handle the mad rush, WTF do people think young kids can stay safe?

Correct. Plus, that guy was no little petunia. A kid wouldn't stand a chance, I'm afraid.

The last time I went out on BF, I was out from midnight til about 8A.M. and I saw no less than 10 kids out. Surprised me, for sure.

I totally agree, I live in Miami and it is cold for us at 2 in the morning, (I know not as cold as other states, but cold to me LOL) I cannot stand to see little ones at the stores that early. I always get my dad to watch my son while I go shopping and if he cannot watch him, I shop online.

My kids ALWAYS go. They save their money to get their own good buys. My ds 12 saved his money last year for a month to buy a portable DVD player. H e's also a good helper. His siblings are grown now, but they always came. We don't have the huge crowds here. I don't trust anyone but my mom to babysit and she goes with me. I can spend less money on nicer presents by shopping then and with 6 grandchildren to buy for now, I need it all.

Sounds like you folks have a problem with the armature shoppers.

Try telling my kids they can’t go with me and they will have a fit. We bring heaters, tents, hand warmers, blankets and sleeping bags, lots of coats, plenty of food, and make it a grand event every year (plus we have been on TV the last 3 years, so they have that to talk about when they go to school). This is similar to the boy and girl scout campouts they go on starting at age 6, only with heaters (I freeze my butt off at those).

Now when the shopping starts the kids stay with mommy who keeps them safe while daddy gets the deals, and we don’t bring out any kids under 3 until the last minute, but it really is a time of togetherness and bonding for my family. Heck, last year we did not even buy anything at the store we camped out at (and no, we did not sell any tickets either), we just had fun camping out as a family.

Now those of you who would stand in the cold without heaters and bring young children, that is another deal entirely, but if you are prepared bringing your children can be a lot of fun.

By the way, don’t be upset if my kid gets your door buster :P:gdevillaugh:

I have only been doing the "black friday" thing for a few years now. One year, I took my 2 year old DD with me. I thought she was young enough not to be able to tell my older girls what I got them, but when we got home she was saying FAR TOO MUCH LOL :D

Then the next year I went (last year) my kids wanted to go with me. They are excited about shopping too! I had a 10 year old, 8 year old, 5 year old and an almost 2 year old, PLUS my elderly grandmother that was in the early/mid stages of Alzheimers. I had asked her if she wanted to go or stay home and she said she wanted to go! So by 4:30 am, we all piled in the car and took off for Walmart since it's open 24 hrs here. It was crowded (and a bit stressful for me with keeping everyone together), but those are memories I will never forget! We all had a great time! My grandma is far too gone mentally this year to even consider it again. But I wonder how many people "judged" me like some of you have done on here to others. :no:

By the time we are done at Walmart, Target is open and I have no need to stand outside in line. If I do decide to go this year, I will have a two month old baby with me for sure. I would never "drag" my kids to the store. They beg to go! So I think some of you need to realize that not every situation fits into your "box" of what's right and wrong.

Please tell me why people take their small children with them on Black Friday? I just can't understand why you would take small kids with all the crazy stuff going on in the stores. If you don't have a babysitter then you should stay home and do online shopping or have someone who is going get your stuff.

Because they don't want to pay the $$$ for a Baby sitter, and think we should have to deal with their screaming kids.

I use to think the same way, however a few years back there was a young woman in line infront of me with a 1 year old a few people made snarky comments about it and she could hear them ( i was nto one of them) eventually she and I got to talking and I found out she and her brother were the only living members of thier family and her Husband didnt have any family either (he was raised in foster care) And not even 6 months before her Husband had been killed (army) and then her brother had been injured and lost his leg (Marines) so she really had no one and didnt know anyone really. I felt really bad for her, I asked her what she was looking for and it was mainly just the deals ont he clothes for her little girl that she really needed. I asked her for her name and number and she gave it to me, needless to say I added a nother 2 people to my list that year and we are great friends now and her daughter stays with my kids at my home on black friday.

Just typing it out made me cry a little. Her daughter (who is now my goddaughter lol) had a wonderful christmas that year (i got alot of people to help make it that way ;) ), and they (mom, daughter, and mom's brother) are now apart of our family. Its the times like these and the friendships Ive formed that help me remember that its not allllllllllll about shopping during the Christmas season

such a sweet story Hummin Bird. sounds like you were put at the store for another reason besides getting the good deals!! wish there were more people out their like you;)

I usually go out for the doorbusters at 2 or 3 (we have a 24hour walmart that I usually hit first) and the hubby usually has to be at work by 10. Last year, I headed out at 4 (didn't get home from work til 2) and then DH met me near his work and dropped off DD3 and donuts. By this time, I was done getting stuff for her and we were working on shopping for the rest of the family. Afterwards we had lunch and then headed home. Of course, I was 8 months pregnant and people seemed to just get out of my way LOL

And, the area that I live in has more senior citizens who aren't out shopping on BF.

Of course, this year I won't have to take DD4 (can only get away with telling her things are for her friends for so long LOL) but I may have to take DS because he'll be 11 months and he doesn't like not being with mommy. If I can get away with it, I'll leave both with daddy and have him drop them off at the sitters if she's not out shopping (or with nana and papa if they don't have plans)

Two years ago I had to open the Santa set at a local mall on BF, but was fortunate the mall didn't want us to open before 11am (they had to clear it with my supervisor because the company wanted me to open at 6 am even though NOBODY was going to be out to see Santa that early) I had an hour and a half drive to the mall, managed to hit Toys R Us on the way there, then Old Navy and a few other stores at the mall. Fortunately, we don't go for big ticket items any more.

Sounds like you folks have a problem with the armature shoppers.

Try telling my kids they can’t go with me and they will have a fit. We bring heaters, tents, hand warmers, blankets and sleeping bags, lots of coats, plenty of food, and make it a grand event every year (plus we have been on TV the last 3 years, so they have that to talk about when they go to school). This is similar to the boy and girl scout campouts they go on starting at age 6, only with heaters (I freeze my butt off at those).

Now when the shopping starts the kids stay with mommy who keeps them safe while daddy gets the deals, and we don’t bring out any kids under 3 until the last minute, but it really is a time of togetherness and bonding for my family. Heck, last year we did not even buy anything at the store we camped out at (and no, we did not sell any tickets either), we just had fun camping out as a family.

Now those of you who would stand in the cold without heaters and bring young children, that is another deal entirely, but if you are prepared bringing your children can be a lot of fun.

By the way, don’t be upset if my kid gets your door buster :P:gdevillaugh:

I just have to ask, were you intending on buying something at that store? Why did you camp out there if you weren't going to buy anything from there?

My opinion..... I don't think it's responsible to bring YOUNG children shopping on Black Friday...WHY?? Because the nuts that are out that day :eek: may hurt the child.

Maybe there are certain parts of the country where people are polite, don't push or rush on Black Friday, but where I live, people act like animals and pretty much bowl over others to get to what they are looking for. I think it's safe to bring the kids out later in the day but not in the dark morning hours. What you do is your business and to each their own, but I don't think anybody can argue with the fact that the child is not safe. Black Friday is not like ANY other shopping day (I believe somebody said it's just as busy as certain other days). To ME, it's not about how "busy" the stores are, it's about the cut throat approach people have to get to the deal they have been waiting months for.. I always read about pushing, fights, profanity and in MY opinion, I don't think that is a safe atmosphere for children...

It still blows my mind that parents would still take there kids out on this day after something like this has happened.

My opinion..... I don't think it's responsible to bring YOUNG children shopping on Black Friday...WHY?? Because the nuts that are out that day :eek: may hurt the child.

Maybe there are certain parts of the country where people are polite, don't push or rush on Black Friday, but where I live, people act like animals and pretty much bowl over others to get to what they are looking for. I think it's safe to bring the kids out later in the day but not in the dark morning hours. What you do is your business and to each their own, but I don't think anybody can argue with the fact that the child is not safe. Black Friday is not like ANY other shopping day (I believe somebody said it's just as busy as certain other days). To ME, it's not about how "busy" the stores are, it's about the cut throat approach people have to get to the deal they have been waiting months for.. I always read about pushing, fights, profanity and in MY opinion, I don't think that is a safe atmosphere for children...

Again, that is going to depend on where you live and shop. We don't have any problems here. now, go about 40 minutes east to knoxville and that is a whole different story! :eek:

It still blows my mind that parents would still take there kids out on this day after something like this has happened.

People die on disney rides, People get hit by cars, people get murdered, people slip and fall, stores get robbed, I refuse to allow my children to live in a bubble.

Having been a single parent raising three kids, I know what's it like to try to accomplish every day tasks such as food shopping or xmas shopping with infants in hand. You are there, like everybody else trying to stretch your shopping dollar as far as it will go.

I would not bring any child with me on Black Friday just from the fear that a few shoppers act like immature twits and put them and others in danger. I mean, my God last year some employee at Walmart -working for like 7 bucks an hour gets trampled and killed just because greed of a few assholes. From my observation, it gets worst each year- I know everyone of you have a story of some jerk who cut in front of you in line, stole your shopping cart or items from it, sold tickets for hot price items or pulled up to the front of the line just as it was filiing in and dropped off ma and pa, who then proceded to merge into the line in front of others who have been waiting there for hours. On that basis alone I would avoid taking children- its like watching adults behave badly.

With that said, perhaps Black Friday really should to be the start of the season of kindness, maybe a few nice words of encouragement to the single parent in line could go a long way to making the season more enjoyable for everybody. I am sure others here can think of hundreds of different acts of kindness that can be done. Let's face it, the economy is in the crapper and nobody has a lot of money this year so all that's left is the spirit of the season.

I really don't have an opinion one way or another. I think it is up to the parents.

However, using that argument... Nobody should shop on Black Friday, because it could happen to anyone.

People die on disney rides, People get hit by cars, people get murdered, people slip and fall, stores get robbed, I refuse to allow my children to live in a bubble.

Very true. You are probably much more likely to get in to a car accident and die on BF than you are to be trampled in a store. But I don't have any statistics to support that. Not to mention the other 364.25 days.

:)

I guess I have two opinions on this front.

1 - if the child is young - and i guess i'm thinking under 5 - don't take them. If you have no one to watch them, stay home, is saving $3 on a pair of pants really that necessary? Now you can pretty much buy anything online on BF and sometimes even before. What i have done in year's past when my girls were little was that i'd go and hit walmart/kmart/target super early as soon as they opened if there were things there that i wanted. I was in and out in most cases and the girls would be sleeping at home and so would their daddy (he hates to go - lol!)

Then i'd go back home by 8am and do breakfast, etc... dh would go to work that day usually (accountant) and then the girls and i would putter around, put up the tree maybe, etc..and then head out for anything else that i wanted to try to get after lunch - it was a treat for them!

2 - now that my oldest is 9, she wants to go - i still am not taking her to the 5am rush at walmart though. so i'll come and get her at 8 and we'll go - my 7 yr old wants to go this year also but i'm still kinda up in the air about it - not because she will act up (if my kids ever act up in a store we are soooo out the door - that is just not something i allow) but because i know she's going to get tired way before i'm ready to head in - she's a very small 7 yr old, i've even thought of putting her in her big umbrella stroller that i haven't used in 4 years - lol!

I'm curious, and I am not trying to be a smart alec...

I know a lot of you that are taking your young kids are doing "Santa" shopping...how do you handle that??? If little Joey sees the one thing he REALLY wants and it ends up in your cart and in your car, how do you handle it???

:gdenough:

Because they don't want to pay the $$$ for a Baby sitter, and think we should have to deal with their screaming kids.

you may not want to deal with my kids and i CERTAINLY don't want to deal with ur pitiful attitude. i'm pretty sure you were a "screaming kid" yourself at one point. people who dislike children amaze me. speaks volume about who they are. if ya don't want to be around children stay at home. don't come out in public. they have every right to be there as you do. i would much rather be in the company of screming children , who are just that...children, than i would a grouchy, rude, miserable adult who should know better! :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Edited by krissy077