Why Do People Take their Small Kids on Black Friday

sastolfi

I'm curious, and I am not trying to be a smart alec...

I know a lot of you that are taking your young kids are doing "Santa" shopping...how do you handle that??? If little Joey sees the one thing he REALLY wants and it ends up in your cart and in your car, how do you handle it???

I used to sell a lot on ebay, so the kids were used to me buying toys and oher stuff and didn't blink an eye at whatever ended in the cart. By the time Christmas rolled around they had forgotten all about what I bought. They are now 9 and almost 12 yo so obviously too old for that tactic, they know better now :D

As for black friday, they come with us, and they have camped out overnight at Best Buy twice 2 and 3 years ago (last year they were disapointed we weren't going). We have a minivan so we stacked blankets in the trunk, they watched DVDs and then slept there while dh and I took turn staying in line and watching them. They were plenty warm. They slept till Best Buy started blasting Christmas music around 4am, then they joined us in line got hot cocoa and donuts. They had fun. When the store opened the first year the girls and I didnt go inside because we only wanted the item we had a ticket for, the 2nd year we wanted a lot more so dh and I split to grab what we needed and the girls came with me, the little one sat in the cart to make I didn't lose her. The only issue we had was that I had forgotten to get them to change out of their snowpants before the store open so they were kinda warm inside lol

Not sure yet this year where we will shop black friday but if it involves Best Buy they'll camp out again since we have noone to watch them overnight and the store is 80 miles away.

Okay, so after reading everyone's posts I have decided I needed to create an account to comment on this one. I am 22. For years BF has been a favorite day with my whole family. Mom went to the "girly" stores and Dad went to the computer stores... My sister (now 19) and I got to pick which parent we went with. It has always been a very prominent family memory/tradition. However, I obviously do not remember going when I was very young and I'm not sure if I did or not.

A few years ago I moved from Ohio to Texas and had to do my BF shopping on my own. Not knowing anyone or having any family (none that wanted to go shopping at 4 am anyway) i encountered the scary world of BF on my own... And to my surprise enjoyed it as much as before.

Last year I married my husband and suddenly found myself an instant stepmom to a 7 yr old... Well when BF came around DH was working... and I had my DSD. So I left the house at 4:30 and went to Walmart. Meanwhile he got her packed up and dropped her off with me just before he had to go to work at 6am. She is tiny and still fits in the top part of the shopping cart. So in she went and I was armed with a fleece blanket. I laid the blanket over the cart and as a picked up her gifts I would stick them under the blanket. This also kept people from grabbing my items out of my cart, they couldn't see them! My DSD is older and so I was able to leave her in the cart at the end of the aisle (still within my sight) and trust that she knew not to let anyone take her, the cart, or anything in the cart without screaming bloody murder, lol!! She actually made my shopping easier.

To avoid her trying to peak I simply told her that anything she saw me buy I would have to put back... This kept her eyes of the prizes really well! She actually chose to close her eyes through the check out process just to avoid that!

I wanted to share my experience with everyone else so that those who have no other alternative could hopefully take my expereience and benefit from it!

this year... DH is working nights so I will drop DSD off at his work at around 2am and do the hectic shopping on my own. Then we he gerts off at 7am he will either take her home and they can both go to sleep or he will come meet me somewhere and join me.

Best of shopping to everyone!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummin Bird

I use to think the same way, however a few years back there was a young woman in line infront of me with a 1 year old a few people made snarky comments about it and she could hear them ( i was nto one of them) eventually she and I got to talking and I found out she and her brother were the only living members of thier family and her Husband didnt have any family either (he was raised in foster care) And not even 6 months before her Husband had been killed (army) and then her brother had been injured and lost his leg (Marines) so she really had no one and didnt know anyone really. I felt really bad for her, I asked her what she was looking for and it was mainly just the deals ont he clothes for her little girl that she really needed. I asked her for her name and number and she gave it to me, needless to say I added a nother 2 people to my list that year and we are great friends now and her daughter stays with my kids at my home on black friday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hummin Bird

Just typing it out made me cry a little. Her daughter (who is now my goddaughter lol) had a wonderful christmas that year (i got alot of people to help make it that way ), and they (mom, daughter, and mom's brother) are now apart of our family. Its the times like these and the friendships Ive formed that help me remember that its not allllllllllll about shopping during the Christmas season

That is a really great story...I love children and I don't see the harm in taking your child, provided that you can keep them safe. Our Walmart is not really as bad as some of the others I've heard about. We live in a small town, and half of the people there are our friends, or our kids go to school together, or we go to church w/them. So, I have taken my kids with me.

:)

I think it is very sweet that some of the parents take their kids and use this day as a bonding day. I can't wait until my dd is old enough to take and really enjoy our day together. She is only 3 now, so that is still a time away. My boys are 11 and I have given them the choice if they want to go w/me this year and they both said NOOOOO!!! lol.

Some people just do not have a choice but to take their kids. I am blessed that I have a wonderful hubby who keeps mine, but not all people are that lucky, especially single parents.

But I do agree that if you don't want to be around kids, do your shopping online. Just remember that everyone was a kid at some point in their lives.

Edited by starbeck96
the quote didn't show up...

I took my son when he was 6 months old, he was dressed for it, had his stroller, no problems! Took 11 month old yr before last again no problems.

How would everyone that's against taking kids feel if they were told you shouldn't go shopping if you are under 5 ft tall or only weigh xxx amount of lbs or some other restriction?

Kids are killed at school by other kids, no one tells parents you shouldn't send your kids to school. Customer was shot and killed in parking lot few years back (in front of his son) for a pair of shoes it wasn't black friday it was a Sunday afternoon. There are crazies in the world everyday and people get hurt, killed and abused everyday, the media makes black friday seem worse because that's what they use for viewers and ratings!

If I don't know someone's situation I try not to judge them. BF shopping may mean the difference in whether their kids have a Christmas present or not.

As for other deals before and after BF if thats the case why doesn't everyone just stay home and shop online or wait for the deals and then there would be no crowds or crazies out BF.

To each his own!!

We have 5 children. For the past 2 years we were able to go by ourselves with just our littlest child. We only have this possibility because we now have friends that can watch our kids. My husbands parents are dead, I only have my dad and he works on BF. We don't have alot of friends and the few he have ALL work on BF. We have brought our children BF shopping with us everytime except the last 2 years. I would do it again if I had to. We are not rich and BF is a great way for our children to get what they want to get. As a matter of fact our oldest 2 are upset that they can't come with us. Sears gave them 10$ Gift cards for standing in line, they were so excited they got to shop too. As for the cold, it's just like going out to play in the snow, for us anyway. We are an actively outside family, we love to hunt, fish, camp and be outside alot. So for us its just more time outside. Everyone is properly dresses with no chance of getting ill. Anyways now we leave them with our friends, who have twin girls age 17. They watch the children, as a gift to us! I can't be more thankful to them because it makes it easier for us. Maybe its where we live that is less of a problem. Our stores are not so crouded that you can't walk. Its generally like a saturday at the mall here, maybe this makes a difference?

Think it depends on the children. My two hellions would be all over the store & it would be a miserable time for me. So I use "daddy daycare" - my kids have a great morning with their dad staying in the jammies all morning & sneaking food they shouldn't eat out of the closet :D and momma enjoys a morning of shopping & over priced coffee! If my husband had to work that day (we have no family around) then I would do the shopping before 8am and return home to the children when he went to work....

I know some kids would be perfectly able to stay quietly with their parents...just not mine :eek:

I have 3 kids. DS is 10, DD is 7 and DD is 14 months. I have been lucky enough to ever have to take them out as infants, which I don't think in my case I would have done. DD(7) would love to go, but to be honest she is not the type of child to take. She is high strung, and very impatient. 10 minutes into waiting in line she would be done. She is also one that you have to watch every second because she gets absorbed into whatever she is doing and walk off her own way. Now, DS is a completely different story. Last year was the year that he figured out there was no Santa. To kind of make up for finding out, my mother and I allowed him to go to BF with us. He is super mellow, very go with the flow. He is an excellent kid. He loves all the hustle and bustle, he gets into the hunt. He is like this with yard sales and consignment sales to. He loves a clearance sale, what can I say, he is his mothers son lol. I think it really just depends on the child.

I used to think "how could someone drag their small kids out" but last year while waiting in the checkout line at Walmart I got to talking to another lady who had an infant (my guess would be maybe 6 mo or so), and she was telling us how she had no family close, and no extra money to pay for a sitter, her DH worked 7 days a week to put food on the table...so she had to bring him. He was of course appropriately dressed and he just hung out in the car seat. You never know the reason someone has their children BF, whether its $$ issues, DH working, no family....you just never know. So now instead of thinking to myself "what r they doing" I just smile and be polite and know there is a reason for why they brought them!!

I only get upset when I see people who are dressed warmly and their small children are not, esp. when we get horrible windchill and other lovely nebraska winter weather. I also get upset when I see people holding small children/babies who are in the middle of the pushing and shoving. I always worry that a baby could get dropped.

I got lucky when my kids were smaller. My babysitter hosted a sleepover party on thanksgiving night for the kids and didn't charge for it. Instead, she gave us money to stand in line in the cold and get her stuff while we got our own. We kept in contact with her and the other mothers who were out shopping by cellphone. I don't know who got the better end of that deal. Esp. since she would often have us bring her a coffee or a donut or something on our way back to her house.:D

My son has gone with me for the last 2 years. He's now 15 and is 6'4" tall. He's a huge help. He's really good natured and reaches over people to get things off the top shelf that no one else can get to. I've seen him laughing and enjoying himself and getting things down for other people or looking over the heads of the other shoppers to help people find things. When we are in line, he loves to be around little kids and keeps them occupied while they wait.

I took my Daughter last year, she was 10, she was a huge help to me. She had so much fun and she wants to go again this year.

I am hoping that it is something she will remember forever and in the long future share her memories with her own kids

I think the OP is being a bit judgmental or naive about people's circumstances. I live in Miami, cold isn't a problem. Also, we don't get the crazy crowds that I see people talk about on these sites (one advantage of suburban sprawl). Last year my husband and I went shopping with our 5 month old baby at 5:30am (baby's normal wake time, ugh). It was fun. My baby was well bundled up from head to toe and very comfortable in his cushy stroller. We had no one to leave him with, even though we have an extensive family network. Everyone was shopping. Paid babysitters are not really acceptable in my culture/family. So I can't even begin to imagine the hardship of parents without our network of free babysitters. Going by myself wasn't an option as I was making big purchases, literally, and needed strong arms to carry them (getting store assistance on BF isn't easy). And of course, sending my husband alone shopping is a recipe for disaster.

Between me and my husband we navigated friendly orderly crowds very well. My baby was entertained by several other children at the stores, who also were never in any danger and caused no problems. Our child was at our hands the entire time and never unsupervised. I finished all my christmas shopping by 2pm BF, which for a new mom (read "sleep deprived") working full-time, was an absolute life saver. Also, the savings was essential considering the RIDICULOUS price of baby formula!

I agree that some people don't cover up their kids enough, and my baby never left the house his first 6 weeks of life. But I've seen infants at Cubs games in Chicago in 25 degree weather, so its not a BF phenomenon. You just really have to leave room for varying opinions when it comes to parenting. Whats a mortal sin to you, might be perfectly acceptable, even expected to someone else.

I think the OP is being a bit judgmental or naive about people's circumstances. I live in Miami, cold isn't a problem. Also, we don't get the crazy crowds that I see people talk about on these sites (one advantage of suburban sprawl). Last year my husband and I went shopping with our 5 month old baby at 5:30am (baby's normal wake time, ugh). It was fun. My baby was well bundled up from head to toe and very comfortable in his cushy stroller. We had no one to leave him with, even though we have an extensive family network. Everyone was shopping. Paid babysitters are not really acceptable in my culture/family. So I can't even begin to imagine the hardship of parents without our network of free babysitters. Going by myself wasn't an option as I was making big purchases, literally, and needed strong arms to carry them (getting store assistance on BF isn't easy). And of course, sending my husband alone shopping is a recipe for disaster.

Between me and my husband we navigated friendly orderly crowds very well. My baby was entertained by several other children at the stores, who also were never in any danger and caused no problems. Our child was at our hands the entire time and never unsupervised. I finished all my christmas shopping by 2pm BF, which for a new mom (read "sleep deprived") working full-time, was an absolute life saver. Also, the savings was essential considering the RIDICULOUS price of baby formula!

I agree that some people don't cover up their kids enough, and my baby never left the house his first 6 weeks of life. But I've seen infants at Cubs games in Chicago in 25 degree weather, so its not a BF phenomenon. You just really have to leave room for varying opinions when it comes to parenting. Whats a mortal sin to you, might be perfectly acceptable, even expected to someone else.

I would like to kknow where in Miami you are that there are not nasty over crowded pushing shoving people, that is every day. Ever heard of Brandsmart, now that a nightmare

My daughter turned 11 this year. This is the first year she is going to go with me. Next week I will coach her in what to do. I think we are going to head to Target. My hubby wants one of those Western Digital external drive thingy-ma-jigs.

I will probably have her man the shopping cart on the outskirts of the the mayhem and I will dive in an attack! LOL! I also have an extra cell phone which I will give her so if we somehow get seperated.

She is looking forward to it...or maybe she is looking forward to breakfast out that day....who knows. But I am looking forward to having her with me.

Illinoismom,

We are in Miami Lakes, but I went to stores in Hialeah and Pemborke Pines. Didn't come across any rude people actually (with the exception of parking!), and we were shopping from 5:30 am to 2pm, by which time you expect people to be a bit testy. Miami gets a bad rap, IMHO. Most people here don't go out of their way to be nice, but they also don't try to be rude. They just mind their own business. There are rude people everywhere, unfortunately, but I usually find people are nice to me (prob because I'm nice to them). I read stories on here about people taking from other people's carts and shoving and trampling, and I could never imagine that here. Maybe I'm being naive, but in 29 years of life and pretty extensive travels, I don't find Miami to be any better or worse than anywhere else with respect to rudeness (but who knows, I also found people in France to be very nice and accomodating!)

Oh, but I forgot, yes, Brandsmart is a NIGHTMARE! I can't stand that place, and try to avoid it at all costs. There is never a good time to go there.

I grew up there spent most of my life there, hated it,lived not far from pembroke pines, worked a time down town. traffic is the pits, glad your experiance is better, sawgrass was always a nightmare, I perfer my quite country living now. If I still lives there there is no way I would take any of my kids out on BF, here is a different story

I took my daughter when she was 9 months old, she was bundled and slept in my arms anyways. I started at the military base at 5am and then headed to walmart. My ex-husband was in Iraq on his first of 3 tours and I was in a new state alone, without friends and definitely without family. I had no other choices because I couldn't afford to buy stuff online so it was either buy the stuff in person or go without. My daughter was safe at all times. She is 5 now, and it is just her and I, so she will be going with me again...

Some folks just don't have an option...

I won't rant about it, but in my opinion, I do think that the children should be left at home or with a babysitter (if possible).

As for myself, my husband and I always do the black friday shopping together. We leave our son (7) with grandparents and we enjoy the day together... we wake up, get ready, eat at Waffle House and then shop until we can't shop anymore or the car is too full. I enjoy the alone time with my husband. Our son isn't there to ask questions every two minutes, he's not there to bug me to go down every toy aisle, my husband and I can get in and out of the stores VERY quickly without a child in tow, and I can relax without worrying about "losing" him in the crowd. I love my son like crazy, but this is one day when it's nice to have a babysitter! :D

I think it is sad all the people that judge. You never know someone's situation unless you were standing in that person's shoes, and in general it angers me that people like to judge when it really has nothing to do with them. There are all kinds of things I wouldn't have pictured myself doing before I had kids, or even before I have ended up in certain situations myself. I've even had to take one of my kids in the backpack on Black Friday, because my mother who came in town to stay and watch the others, couldn't handle when he woke up screaming that morning and wouldn't stop (acid reflux does that to some babies on a regular basis). I must say he was happy as a lark in his backpack people watching, and even better when we returned he actually napped with me!!!!! (Trust me, a for a mother who hadn't slept in months, it was wonderful.) That's what I love about life. We're all so different, and our different experiences lead us to different outcomes. Live and enjoy and let others live their own lives.

My opinion? Leave the kids at home. I stand in line FREEZING here in the mountains of Maryland and it's just not fair to the small children to stand in line outside a store for hours. There are always sales around Christmas. Nothing would be worth me going out and making my child freeze. If I wanted something that bad then I would pay a babysitter. I mean not only is it frigid but it's dangerous. So many people pushing and shoving and running and so many strangers around. I go with my mother every year and it astounds me that some would bring children with them. Kids don't have the patience for waiting in lines like adults do. Heck even adults don't always have the patience. I understand that there are sometimes special circumstances that make it possible for a person to go BF shopping only if they take their child with them. I get it. But if that were me personally then I would just not go. I'm the bargain queen. I kind find a good deal BF or not. And if I didn't have my laptop then I would go to the library and do some online shopping and use some promo codes. I know the people that take their kids will not like my post but I just think that if you live somewhere that is really cold and you have to get your kids up at 3am to get to Kohls at 4am, then you should just stay home. On a side note I do think that older kids, says 10+ are okay to bring out early if they are well behaved. And all kids are fine with me after say 8-9am.

I took my daughter with me six yrs ago when she was six months old. I had 2 other kids that I had to buy for and no credit cards to shop online. And unforunately I have not figured out how to remove my boobs for the babysitter. I didn't get in line till it was almost time for the doors to open though.

I can't go shopping on BF morning! :gdcry:

I am all for taking kids out responsibly. I've done it before. Last year it was me, my mom, and my 2-year-old. This year would be me and all 3 kids, ages 6,4,3. They stress me out in a store on a normal shopping day - trying to go in different directions, taking things off shelves, insisting on pushing the cart. There is no way I could take my 3 kiddos out friday. (Not to say that someone else couldn't, I just know my kids can't handle it) I do have a babysitter, but she can't take them before 8:00. Here's hoping for a great morning of online shopping...

I use to think the same way, however a few years back there was a young woman in line infront of me with a 1 year old a few people made snarky comments about it and she could hear them ( i was nto one of them) eventually she and I got to talking and I found out she and her brother were the only living members of thier family and her Husband didnt have any family either (he was raised in foster care) And not even 6 months before her Husband had been killed (army) and then her brother had been injured and lost his leg (Marines) so she really had no one and didnt know anyone really. I felt really bad for her, I asked her what she was looking for and it was mainly just the deals ont he clothes for her little girl that she really needed. I asked her for her name and number and she gave it to me, needless to say I added a nother 2 people to my list that year and we are great friends now and her daughter stays with my kids at my home on black friday.

oohh, Im really touch about it. Good that they found someone like you, your such an angel to them.

Lighten up! Did you ever think maybe it is the kid who wants to go? My nephew just begged my father and husband to take him to sleep on the BB BF line. He was so excited to do it- he is well bundled up and well cared for. It is around 50 degrees here so it isn't too cold anyway.

Wow, just wow at the judgements in this post. SMH...we have some perfect parents in here. I've never taken my kids but never looked or even paid that much attention to people who do have their kids. Heck, my attention is on getting my things at the right price and getting outta there. Why worry about what other people are doing and move your cart outta the aisle so I can get by?

I took my 6month old out this morning. I've never thought much about it. . We didnt, but would've if I woke up on time, stand outside. She was bundled appropriately, as were I. I wasn't rushing for a laptop or tv, and wasn't in a "mob location" SO>>>>> MYOB, I do *specifically aimed at the loudmouth in Old Navy who found it necessary to comment on my bringing her w/ me*

Well My 10 year old went to Walmart and he was on movie detail with is 22 year old sister, She said people were saying rude and snide remarks to her. But he is little for being 10 but he was great, as he stood there for his time he knew where all the movies were she wanted and he could get down low and grab what they needed and they were out of there in nothing flat as all the big peoples were fighting over looking for movies

while working at Kohls this morning, I witnessed a parent SCREAM at her child for falling down and and not keeping up...he was obviously tired and over stimulated and started to cry and she yelled at him for that too....he was about 4 years old and it was 4:30 in the morning :(