Disturbing Trend This Year...

Brad

What really pisses me off is that Brad is doing these people a FAVOR!

What a bunch of ungrateful brats these companies are being. How much do they pay every year for ads during the Super Bowl to get a captive audience? And Brad gives them one for free!!

It's sort like they're saying they know there's not as good of deals as in the past and they don't want people to see it too far ahead of time to think about it. They should know by now that a lot of the people camping out for 1 or 2 days don't think anyway.

Wouldn't it be cheaper or free maybe for the companies just to let sites like gottadeal post their ads instead of hiring newspaper to run them, and printers to print them? Granted they might loose some business, but I think they would gain more new business, than what they could loose.

We've had a discussion here that usually ends like this: "well, I know that if you have a trademark and you don't defend it, you can lose it, maybe copywriting is the same kind of thing"

So, I am not a lawyer, but maybe if they don't defend it as a "trade secret" however halfheartedly then they can not claim it as a "trade secret" in the future?

Wal-Mart - threatens legal action and affiliate account closure if ad is posted

Target - terminates affiliate account with no warning after ad is posted

OfficeMax - sends cease & desist order demanding ad be taken down

F.Y.E - terminates affiliate account with no warning a couple weeks after ad is posted

Linens-N-Things - sends cease & desist order demanding ad be taken down

Big Lots - sends cease & desist order demanding ad be taken down

Macy's - sends cease & desist to several other BF sites (not us, yet)

hhgregg - sends ad to us directly, then demands it be taken down

Definitely more of these incidents than in any previous year, and we've still got 2 weeks to go :mad:

Sheesh, you'd think they had something exciting to hide - something so mind-bendingly fantastic as to blow the competitors away :eyepoppin ! Or maybe they just want to hide the fact that they really don't have anything to offer this year.

where's marcs with my eyeroll smileys? their ad was pathetic anyway, as are many of the others from stores demanding they be taken down, and no wonder - we're pretty much laughing at them! :gdlaugh:

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hmmm/rolleye.gifhttp://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hmmm/wait.gifhttp://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Hmmm/whoopdedoo.gif

Ok so that an exaggeration but...

You know these retailers aren't doing themselves any favors. With all the toy recalls they are going to be lucky to sale any toys. I know A LOT of grand-parents and parents who aren't buying toys this year from stores. They are having people make them. I live near the Amish and they said they have a lot of requests for tricycles, swings, wooden toys, and just about anything that the Amish can make because they know the Amish won't put anything dangerous in there. Lots of requests for play houses too. They are expensive but they last forever and they are better than what you get at the store. Plus you can always add to them. Chairs, cribs for dolls, tables, small beds, and one man even makes stoves and refridgerators. They don't work ofcourse.

My points is people have other options besides stores. People are getting creative to save their childrens health. Walmart, macy's, and others would do well to realize that the free publicity on this site may save there bussiness. Now I know most people don't live here but there are still options. Craftsmen live all over the US.

I love BF and I don't want to see anything happen, like say people stop shopping, to ruin it.

Its not just toys either. With all the food recalls we are sending homemade perserves and candy to people for Christmas.

So many directions.

Not all toy manufacturers are drowning in recalls. Mattel and Fisher Price have been front and center in all that. However, brands from Hasbro, Little Tikes, and Step 2 have been unaffected. I might not pick up something for the girls if it has a Fisher Price logo stamped on it, but I will look for an alternative (The little tikes digital camera, for example, playskool's version of roll arounds, etc.) in brands that have done testing and proven safe. I doubt I'll be going as far as to call up local craftsmen to have toys made from scratch, however.

It's not Macys, Walmarts, Toys R Us, or any retailers fault that these recalls have occured. Nobody's going to avoid Walmart because Fisher Price had a recall. They may, however, think twice about buying Fisher Price in the future - regardless of whose shelf the Fisher Price item is sitting on.

Toy recalls are not going to be the end of Black Friday. These days, Black Friday is much less about Mom and Dad scrabling for that hot new toy and much more about techies and electronics gurus hanging out in line for that huge LCD HD 1080p -insert every other acronym to describe a TV that is currently in existance - at a rock bottom price. Electronics have taken their place as the front runners and loss leaders of Black Friday ads. Toys are no where near as prevelant in ads, these days.

Black Friday's success has little (if not nothing) to do with toy recalls, really.

So many directions.

I doubt I'll be going as far as to call up local craftsmen to have toys made from scratch, however.

It's not Macys, Walmarts, Toys R Us, or any retailers fault that these recalls have occured. Nobody's going to avoid Walmart because Fisher Price had a recall.

Black Friday's success has little (if not nothing) to do with toy recalls, really.

Homemade toys aren't for everyone but like I said where I live their are a lot of people who aren't buying from stores. ALOT! Parents HERE, as in my geographical location, (BTW is wrong on that map) are getting sick of "their kids being inside all the time and zoning out infront of the TV." I'm not saying its ALL parents are like that or even thats the way it should be. I'm just saying thats the way it is with most parents I know. Personally I think that if kids don't learn computer skills they are going to be seriously deprived.

It may not but Walmart and Macy's and ToysRUs's fault there are recalls but it IS affecting there business. No one can denie that. All I'm saying is that retailers need to chill and recognize that sites like these are doing them a big favor!

Also I already said it was an exaggeration to prove a point and I never meant to upset anyone or start a fight.

The recalls on food and toys WILL affect the sales on BF. They are already affecting sales at my local retailers.

i miss the handcrafted toys actually. where i lived in nj we had an Amish Farmers Market (rt 42 south in Williamstown if you're looking) and I always bought toys for my GS there. I called his mother and asked her to keep a lookout there for specific items and told her I'd pay s&h and the cost of the toys if she found them.

Brad,

I really hate the fact that some of your affiliate accounts are being terminated. Is it possible that you can consider some alternatives to posting the ad:

1) Posting the ads for limited time (24-48 hours) for people to save onto their computers and then taking it down.

2) Only posting BF ads in the forums, then it won't officially be on the site.