GottaDEAL 2018 Black Friday T-Shirt Club Posting Thread

Brad

Sorry to see today that Bon-Ton is going out of business.  We don't have them in New York City, but I like to shop at some occasionally in Pennsylvania and I have made some online orders for specific items the last few Black Fridays.  Also includes their other brands (Younkers, Herberger's, Boston Store, Carsons, & Elder-Beeman). 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/18/heres-a-map-of-all-of-bon-tons-stores.html

Edited by mcwalker

It looks like someone is buying their assets. So hopefully much like Toys R Us(Someone is buying 200 stores and the name and such) it means some of them will be saved.

The buyers are just liquidators.  The stores will be gone soon.

And unfortunately in these liquidations, people buy up everything before the discounts get really worthwhile.

• Like 2

The buyers are just liquidators.  The stores will be gone soon.

And unfortunately in these liquidations, people buy up everything before the discounts get really worthwhile.

I didn't realize that. I thought it might be like TRU where they are buying assests including 200+ stores to keep them open.

Sorry to see today that Bon-Ton is going out of business. We don't have them in New York City, but I like to shop at some occasionally in Pennsylvania and I have made some online orders for specific items the last few Black Fridays. Also includes their other brands (Younkers, Herberger's, Boston Store, Carsons, & Elder-Beeman).

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/18/heres-a-map-of-all-of-bon-tons-stores.html

My Elder-Beerman is on the last week of being open. Got a few great bargains yesterday, some stuff was 95% off, but mostly it wasn’t worth it because of their over inflated “regular” prices.

Sent from my iPad using GottaDEAL

I didn't think the TRU buyout got approved.

TRU Execs didn't approve it. The person trying to buy them isn't done and soon it won't matter what the TRU people think once the bankruptcy court fully get's ahold of it. The offer was close to $1B if I remember closely.

So before the month of April passes by, I am here to post. The weather can't seem to make up its mind. Cold one day, hot the next.Just got back from a woman caregiver's retreat in the mountains, same thing..cold Friday, warm Saturday and Sunday. I used to be a MICHE handbag rep, still have inventory, so got my online store up and running.that took quite a while. I was eyeing my tshirts from black fridays off the past, can't wait to add another one to my collection!

Sent from my SM-G955U using GottaDEAL mobile app

I am still wearing long sleeved shirts every day here in Georgia. At least I have finally been able to ditch my winter coat!

Meanwhile, I've been in short sleeves these past few days in MI (with light jacket only in the mornings) because it's finally been around 60* every day. Crazy how our bodies adjust to different climates. :)

• Like 1

TRU Execs didn't approve it. The person trying to buy them isn't done and soon it won't matter what the TRU people think once the bankruptcy court fully get's ahold of it. The offer was close to $1B if I remember closely.

Yes. I hope he does pull off a buyout. If he doesn't, I hope he starts a new toy company and buys up all of TRUs real estate super cheap. I can hardly bare the thought of the world without a dedicated toy store!

• Like 1

Meanwhile, I've been in short sleeves these past few days in MI (with light jacket only in the mornings) because it's finally been around 60* every day. Crazy how our bodies adjust to different climates. :)

I was just thinking that. When I last lived in FL I remember people running around in full blown artic gear coats when it was in the 50's. I was laughing my butt off. I lived there 18 years but i still traveled for work all the time so I was in winter places with snow and cold a lot. :sidesplit

• Like 1

Have to stuff Easter eggs today. We finally get to have the kids' egg hunt tomorrow. It's rained or snowed every weekend since Easter, but its in the 70s and beautiful outside!

And deal hunting, I got packs of a good brand of diapers for $3 a pack! Store clearancing off one brand to switch to a different brand. 9 jumbo packs for a hair over $30 after tax. I am quite pleased. And the pregnancy resource center will be too, half are for them.

I'm ready for Black Fridays ads and planning though. Budget is tighter this year since we're mainly cash-flowing our house construction. Already bought a few presents. Gotta love Lightning Deals and Walmart clearance. And library book sales. Have a truck for DS unless I let him have it early. Got little clutches for my 3 older nieces, $1 each, with their initals on them. Plan to stuff them with travel size BBW soaps and sprays. Or pocketbacs. Not sure, depends what I pickup on BF. Got American Girl and Junie B Jones books at a book sale. Nice, gifting quality. And I have my son's Elmo bedding set saved, watching to see if it'll hit $30 before I buy, and stuff for my mom picked out. Am I crazy shopping this early??? Someone, please say I'm not the only one? :)

• Like 2

I wish I could hang out laundry. I remember that being one of my jobs as a kid and I lament not having a clothing line. But a long time ago doctors said not to do it because of the pollen and my seasonal allergies.

Bargains, baking, and Black Friday!

Am I crazy shopping this early??? Someone, please say I'm not the only one? :)

You are not crazy, a good deal is a good deal! As long as you know the recipients tastes/ likes won’t change there is nothing wrong with it. It helps to spread out the expense of it all too. I have done a tiny bit of shopping for my coworkers in the after Christmas sales, but that’s it for me so far. I have come up with some gift ideas for others and written them down for when it gets closer.

I have really had BF on the brain a lot lately and miss all the conversations. Can’t wait for October/November and all the excitement to ramp up [emoji1]

• Like 2

It's the last day of April...my birthday is this Friday :gd_partyu (May the 4th be with you)...so much has been going on and I am still in school!!!! not sure if I will need to take a break for a little while and rest my brain; I'm not as young as I used to be  :eyepoppin ... the one thing that I keep thinking about is BF and I stopped into my local TRU this past Saturday to see if they had any good deals for my Gbaby and I wasn't impressed so I decided not to purchase anything... these months are flying by and before you know it we will all be waiting for Ads to come out again...

• Like 1

Spring is a great time to cut the cord.  Great weather to work on the roof, nothing on TV anyway, and the worst reception you will have all year as leaves fill with water, get coated with spring showers, and blow in the breeze.  If you can make things work in May, you will not have problems in October.

When my family fired Comcast, I did not think we needed a DVR.  We had a DVR with Comcast, but the only recordings on the box were unwatched episodes of Who Wants to  be a Millionaire and the Bonnie Hunt Show.  We soon found out that a DVR is much more than a digital video recorder.  Right away we discovered we had no idea what was on TV.  It turns out an Electronic Program Guide (EPG) is a very good thing.  Then the phone rang.  A lot of people pause television for phone calls, meals, and potty runs.  People ‘rewind’ television too — to see what was missed while the eyes were resting, to watch again an unexpected wardrobe malfunction, or settle for good whether or not it was a catch.

Fortunately, cord cutters have a lot of DVR options.  In fact, most digital-to-analog converters can be used as a DVR by simply plugging in a USB storage device.  For less than thirty bucks, you can add an EPG and a DVR to just about any television.  While these inexpensive devices are very limited, they are a great way to add functionality to a rarely used television.

DVRs take two forms — set top and whole house.  Set top DVRs sit on top of the television set.  They have an antenna input and some kind of television output.  Sometimes you attach a storage device.  They can have one or many tuners.  Whole house DVRs connect to an antenna and your network and stream programming to some other device.  Sometimes you attach a storage device.  They can have one or many tuners.  Set top boxes tend to perform better — faster channel changes and no buffering.  Whole house DVRs are great if you do not have coax close to your television set or have a lot of televisions you use from time to time.

TiVo is the premium set top DVR.  It’s  been around for twenty years and is the only DVR that might be the only box you need.  It’s also the most expensive set top DVR.  For cord cutters, TiVo offers a $399 Roamio/OTA which includes Lifetime Service (no monthly fees).  The 1080p Roamio has four tuners so you can record four shows simultaneously, watch one and record three, or even share tuners with televisions in other rooms (to a $179.99 TiVo Mini).  It streams Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Vudu, HBO Go, and apps like Plex.

TiVo also offers a 4K HDR Bolt that can use either (but not both) broadcast or cable as a source.  Broadcast television is limited to 1080p, but, for those who stream, HDR might be appealing and having both cable and antenna options mean you can cut the cord at will and change your mind back again.  With a $14.99 monthly fee, the Bolt costs $199.99 with 500GB (75 hours) of storage, $299.99 with 1TB (150 hours), or $499.99 with 3TB (450 hours).  You can purchase ‘All In’ Lifetime Service for $549.99 or pay $149.99 annually for service.

The TiVo Mini allows use of a TiVo tuner on a second television in your home.  There are no fees and no moving parts.  The experience is virtually the same as watching a TiVo.

What I like about TiVo..

• Tivo is the only box you need.  It streams all the important services.  It doesn’t stream the cable alternatives like Vue, DirecTV Now, or Sling TV, but, if you have an antenna, you do not need those.
  • One remote is all you need.  The TiVo remote controls volume and power.  Its inactivity timer turns off signal to the television, so the television shuts off when I fall asleep.
  • Low total cost of ownership.  This is a recent development and may not last long, but the last two years, TiVo has routinely made the Roamio/OTA available for $199.99 and $299.99 with LifetimeService.  Right now, with a bigger disk, it is $399.99.  That is about half what TiVo has been historically, and less that the cost of setting up most alternatives.
  • The Mini does not feel like a remote client.  Except that it does not shut down the attached television after inactivity, it works just like its big brother.

Tablo TV is a ‘whole house’ DVR.  It is a box containing TV tuners, attached to a disk and the internet, which uses a service to present programming information (guide).  Tablo TVs have two to four tuners.  A two tuner Tablo TV costs $139.99 and requires an external USB drive to record/pause/rewind.  A two tuner Tablo TV with 64GB of memory costs $179.99.  A four tuner Tablo TV costs $239.21 and requires an external USB drive.  While the 64GB model is a neat little package, you can get a 1TG USB disk for $50 these days, so the less expensive dual tuner DVR is a better value.  For most people, $239.21 for the four tuner model plus $50 for a USB disk will represent the best value.

You do not need the service to use a Tablo, but, for $4.99/mo, $49.99/yr, or $149.99 for Lifetime, you get an extended guide, the ability to record series, and out of home viewing.

You will need a streaming device to view the Tablo TV output…

• A Smart TV powered by: Roku, or Android TV, or most LG WebOS 2.0 and 3.0 operating systems; OR
  • A Set-Top-Box/Streaming Media Device: Roku, or Amazon Fire TV, or AppleTV, or Nvidia SHIELD, or Xiaomi MiBox; OR
  • A Streaming Stick: Roku Stick, or Amazon Fire TV Stick, or a Chromecast dongle (casting from an Android device or Chrome browser); OR
  • A Gaming System: Nvidia SHIELD, or XBox One; OR
  • An HDMI-enabled computer: Tablo web app in Chrome/Safari

What I like about the Tablo TV DVR…

• It’s on a lot of devices.
  • It allows for wireless clients.
  • Lifetime Service is for YOU not the BOX.
  • I like the Live TV Grid Guide.

One device I have never warmed up to is the HDHomeRun.  I have a HDHR3-US and a pair of HDHomeRun EXTENDs.  They work fine, but without an annual subscription, you get a very limited guide and no DVR functionality.  You also have to run a PC or a NAS 7×24.  Too much work for me.  (Same reason my Plex server gets so little love.)

I happen to have purchased a couple TCL Roku TVs.  This television integrates streaming and broadcast television very nicely at really attractive prices.  If you plug a USB drive into the set, you can pause and rewind within a 90 minute buffer.  It’s not really an OTA DVR, but trick play and an Electronic Program Guide warrant an honorable mention.

YAY  May ! (not) hehe...Busiest month of the year for me. Every group associated with school has a function,concert,banquet or something.  I checked the other day and I on average have at least 3 of these a week until school is over. Thankful that in my minutes to spare you guys give me a sanity second reading posts. Check in accomplished.