Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2011

Brad

Still 75% off at Mason City, Iowa. I don't even know if I'll bother going at 90% off...doesn't seem like there was even anything there I really wanted. Then again, EVERYTHING looks good at 90% off!

Has anyone been to the Fort Dodge Target? Maybe, hopefully, a better selection. Might try to go to that one at 90.

Are they holiday plates? If so, return them ASAP so you get a full refund. Once they go to 90% off you will only get that amount back.

Really, will they only refund the 90% off, I have a few things to return from 50%...will have to go tomorrow and hope they give me all my $ back.

Really, will they only refund the 90% off, I have a few things to return from 50%...will have to go tomorrow and hope they give me all my $ back.

In most states you only get the current selling price. So, if you bought at 50% and return after it has dropped to 75% or 90%, you will only get the 75% or 90% price. A few states (everyone chime in who knows there state is different), like Missouri and/or Kansas and I think New Jersey allow you to get back your paid price. But the rest of us are out of luck. Pretty sure Ohio is an out of luck state. They have this policy posted in Guest Services.

The exception to this is if the item is not working or otherwise defective. I bought one of those red box gifts (headlamp) for both my boys and one didn't work. I got full value back on that. Too bad I could not find a replacement despite visiting about 10 Targets!

It depends on the state you live in and the laws there. In Missouri and Kansas they must give you back the amount you paid if you have a receipt. However, in some states you only get the current or last selling price. No matter what, bring your receipt!

If I remember correctly Target's policy is that you get back whatever the current price is for seasonal items BUT some states have laws that require them to give you back what you paid, so it depends on where you live.

My store went to 75% off very early (Wed) and we are still 75% off today. Darn. I guess it's not soo bad since when I went there, it was already 2 pm. If it were 90% off, I bet there wouldn't be anything left. However, I wanted OJ that was on sale for $3 and it was completely bare there. WTH... this store should realize that they have high foot traffic for these staples and restock a lot. I was hoping to buy at least 5 cartons. Anyhow, I left with only a few dollar spot clearance items, which will be salvage tomorrow? (not sure).

In most states you only get the current selling price. So, if you bought at 50% and return after it has dropped to 75% or 90%, you will only get the 75% or 90% price. A few states (everyone chime in who knows there state is different), like Missouri and/or Kansas and I think New Jersey allow you to get back your paid price. But the rest of us are out of luck. Pretty sure Ohio is an out of luck state. They have this policy posted in Guest Services.

The exception to this is if the item is not working or otherwise defective. I bought one of those red box gifts (headlamp) for both my boys and one didn't work. I got full value back on that. Too bad I could not find a replacement despite visiting about 10 Targets!

:yup: Texas gives you back what you paid as long as you have your receipt.

Christmas still 75% in North DFW. Hoping for 90% tomorrow, but doubtful since my local stores went to 75% on the 31st.

Went out to lunch with a girlfriend and stopped at a Target that I rarely visit (Plano on 75/lexington) and they had a decent variety of pink dot items that I hadn't seen at any of my other stores. Picked up some of those magnetic note pads w/Christmas trees for .25. Hadn't seen those anywhere else. Also 15' outdoor green extension cords for $1.24 (located near camping).

Im in CA, this is news to me. Ive returned things in the past with a reciept and had no problem getting what I paid for the item when I returned it. It didnt matter if it was 50-75-90% or no longer in the system. Has something changed recently?

It depends on the laws in your state. Target's official policy is to refund at the current selling price; however, if your state forbids this, they have to refund you the price you paid as long as you present a valid receipt. Here in TX I get the price I paid back, even if the % off has gone lower. Not sure about OH.

Still 75% at Spring Meadows. Lots of candy canes but mostly junk left on other items. Xmas boxed toys still 30% and had more than the Rossford Store and a lot of other toys still 30%. Would like 75% but probably will miss that. One thing I did find in the regular aisle and not marked clearance in any form was Hello Kitty Holiday Home and Snowy Day sets for 1.74 (orig. 7.99).

Pink dot tags in Target Dollar Spot were 75% off today! I got Cars dry erase boards and notebooks for .25 cents each, as well as a bunch of yo-yos and other stuff!

Christmas was 75% off in most areas, I think the candy might have still been 50% but there wasn't much left anyway!

My store went to 75% off very early (Wed) and we are still 75% off today. Darn. I guess it's not soo bad since when I went there, it was already 2 pm. If it were 90% off, I bet there wouldn't be anything left. However, I wanted OJ that was on sale for $3 and it was completely bare there. WTH... this store should realize that they have high foot traffic for these staples and restock a lot. I was hoping to buy at least 5 cartons. Anyhow, I left with only a few dollar spot clearance items, which will be salvage tomorrow? (not sure).

You should have requested a rain check. I always do when they have a great sale on staples and are out. I got a LOT of butter pretty cheap that way last year. They honor the rain check for up to 6 weeks, and you can buy them one at a time if they are perishable.

Im in CA, this is news to me. Ive returned things in the past with a reciept and had no problem getting what I paid for the item when I returned it. It didnt matter if it was 50-75-90% or no longer in the system. Has something changed recently?

No, it isn't new. But it only applies to holiday merchandise. If you are returning regular clearance, you get your receipt price back. You should try it with something just to see. It is applied very consistently through all the stores in the Valleys and over as far as the Ontario area and along the I-10 corridor. Those are the stores I frequent.

LovesToShopCA

I should just try it to see. I bought a pool in the summer and returned it which isnt considered "holiday" so that wouldnt pertain to it. I know I bought christmas stuff last year and returned it but a year later I couldnt tell ya the actual facts. I will give it a try for easter holiday merchandise and check out my local stores.

Will go out tomorrow and check if we are at 90%... I wonder if my "tape" is still hidden that I never went back to grab! LOL

It depends on the state you live in and the laws there. In Missouri and Kansas they must give you back the amount you paid if you have a receipt. However, in some states you only get the current or last selling price. No matter what, bring your receipt!

VA and TN get back what you paid for it.

No, it isn't new. But it only applies to holiday merchandise. If you are returning regular clearance, you get your receipt price back. You should try it with something just to see. It is applied very consistently through all the stores in the Valleys and over as far as the Ontario area and along the I-10 corridor. Those are the stores I frequent.

My sister today returned christmas paper bags and tissue paper that she had purchased at 50% off on 12/26 and received back the money she had paid with her receipt. Right now those items are at 75%. This was the Pasadena, CA location near Lake/Colorado.

Yep! In NY, I believe it's the same. As long as one has a receipt here, they will give back what the price paid was.

Akron, OH went 75% off yesterday...and as of 11:30 they still had tons of stuff. Probably 5 trees or so (although, I cannot fathom buying a tree from Target. I got a beautiful 7.5 ft. FULL tree last year from Walmart for $78-not on sale!) and tons of lights, ornaments, paper, etc.

I do have some complaints though...my Targets either 1) NEVER have the paper goods, scissors, tape, etc. that you guys find or 2) I'm just never there early enough the day after Christmas to get it. Oh- and those Nick & Nora pjs..never see those either.

I am getting pumped about toys...seeing a ton ofthose at 30 and 50...but unfortunately this year funds are limited on "extras" like this so I'm definitely going to try and hold back until 75%.

Check behind the Hot Wheels (the larger boxes on the top shelf) in the Belden Village Target, there should be about 8 rolls of tape there. My MIL and I stashed them but I'm back in Chicago and she can't go this week so they are up for grabs, hopefully they haven't been found yet! Good luck! :)

It's pretty frustrating that the consumer laws are not standard through out the country. If you have a return to make, be sure to call and ask.

I've made a return of a holiday item I bought at 50% off and when I returned it, it was now 75% off and even with a receipt they wouldn't give me the price I paid. Thankfully it was a roll of wrapping paper so the price difference wasn't huge, but I was still quite frustrated.

Here is the policy from their website.

Holiday and Seasonal Merchandise Refunds: Holiday and seasonal merchandise on clearance at the time of return will be refunded at the current clearance price.

http://www.target.com/b/ref=br_bx_0/179-0863082-4590052?ie=UTF8&node=13685491

Edited by Kibit13

Still 75% off at Mason City, Iowa. I don't even know if I'll bother going at 90% off...doesn't seem like there was even anything there I really wanted. Then again, EVERYTHING looks good at 90% off!

Has anyone been to the Fort Dodge Target? Maybe, hopefully, a better selection. Might try to go to that one at 90.

I completely agree. It's amazing how I will not like something if its 50-75% off, but once it hits 90% I feel the need to get it.:rolleyes: I'm going to try and avoid Target this week so I don't spend money and fill up on stuff I don't need.

It's pretty frustrating that the consumer laws are not standard through out the country. If you have a return to make, be sure to call and ask.

I've made a return of a holiday item I bought at 50% off and when I returned it, it was now 75% off and even with a receipt they wouldn't give me the price I paid. Thankfully it was a roll of wrapping paper so the price difference wasn't huge, but I was still quite frustrated.

Which state is this?

It's pretty frustrating that the consumer laws are not standard through out the country. If you have a return to make, be sure to call and ask.*

Many people hate Targets return policies. But they are there because of all the return fraud that goes on. A policy like that is in place because what's stopping someone from buying stuff at retail, returning it way after, once it goes 90. Get a full return and now able to repurchase the item at 90% now that the item is available. You can't hold clearance items, but this way you could.

Then there's the jerks that prevent other consumers from paying retail that they actually want to. Let say someone wants Xmas lights but someone purchased way more than they needed, or USED the item over the holidays and returned them, giving them the ability to enjoy/show off FAKE wealth. I remember looking for red/green flood lights all over the place. I actually only needed one red as mine went out. They were no where. Sure enough in Jan I watched a man at Lowes return 10 red/green flood lights why would he buy that many if he didn't really need them? However sometimes this absurd behavior has benifited me. One time I got 2 full sized outdoor light up reindeer including an additional light up display for 90% as it was a return. Yep, they lit up, nothing wrong with them. So why return it?

Baby/bridal shower gift returns hate the 3 item limit on no reciept returns. Reason for this? Well Target isn't the lowest price store. They don't even match prices. There's been items (usually online) that I have found for $40 cheaper. Without a reciept I could return the item and make a $40 profit. $40 for only a couple minutes of work. Now times that by how many times I do it. Even if it's just store credit, there's always something I could get, even food. I think on occasions even store credit sometimes has been limited to same department credit. Not sure what triggers that.

Then the dreaded electronics policy. I remember 10-15 years ago my mom had to go all the way to corporate level for her return. She had purchased a VHS tape. We tried watching it but it was broken. All she wanted was a new copy. Problem was they were discontinuing VHS, and even though she bought it that week, there were none anywhere. Policy says that open media can only be returned for same title. Reason: what's stopping her from making a copy of the tape and then returning it. Retailers would become local libraries for piracy.

Then there's the really absurd returns thats just begging for additional policies. I once witnessed a lady try to return a dollar spot dog chew toy. Her dog had chewed it up to shreds, and that was her complaint. At this point the clerk wasn't going to bother with dealing with such BS. He handed her a quarter... As you guessed it, dollar spot was 75% off. Was 25 cents really worth it? I didn't know you could do that. All this time I could have just gotten my cats new mice when their old ones got nasty. Cool!

Then there was the time I witness another lady who returned a half a cart load of cheese. It seemed that she had purchased too much. Now something like that I figured you'd just hold onto and eat it later right? Oh well you can still return it though. Problem is they refused and had to get a store manager involved. Why? Well seems as though Target wasn't her first stop that day. The cheese had spent all day in her car. So naturally they couldn't resell it. Sadly they went ahead and gave her a refund. Wonder why stuff is so expensive? People like that. Although now that I think about it, what's stopping people from returning food that expired in their own freezers? Buy a replacement, then return the old one saying "uh, yeah, I just bought this but didn't realize it had expired"

It stinks, but this is why places have to have rules

Wow...you really dislike people who return things!

Some of what you said I agree with, but some of it I think is not a big deal. You will find a LOT of people here who will return items they bought at 50% off because they found that same item at 90% off. And what is wrong with that? It's the same thing as a price match. And it's not like you can do that with EVERYTHING you buy because there is so little left at 90% off. If Target price matched clearance, it would be the same thing. I think it's just smart shopping.

And the guy who returned the flood lights...what's the big deal? Maybe he intended to decorate his house, but didn't for some reason (sickness, etc). Maybe he bought too many accidentally. If he had a receipt, it's his right to return them. Not a big deal.

The cheese thing I agree with. Even if the lady had brought them straight from her fridge, they can't resell any food merchandise that is returned, since they have no idea what she did to it while she had it. They have to throw it away even if you buy it, wheel over to customer service, and return it. That is why most grocery stores don't let you return things unless they are defective/spoiled when you buy them. I never return food to Target for any reason other than defectiveness (which never happens).

And really...what you mentioned is the tip of the ice berg when it comes to return policies. They are really there because of rings of people who tried to make a full time profession of buying things and returning them for profit. It's not the average customer doing a return or two, or even the people who return clearance items that these policies are directed at...it's all about these scammers.

And just to add, I have bought plenty of stuff at Target and other stores that have been expired when I purchased them. (sodas have been the worst) For the most part, I just throw it away because I don't want them thinking I took it home and switched it with old product I had in my house for a long time and sometimes, it's just not worth the fight to me when you go back to switch it. It does happen though because it has happened to me more than once. I try to be more aware now and check the dates before buying.

IN MI they give you what you paid for the item.... I returned Halloween stuff well after they salvaged it and the gave me the 75% off price back that I paid. Was glad to get costumes at 90% :)