Is this the year of the $99 netbook? Sorry No

EliteABombAZ

questions about netbooks?...if you use it mostly at home but sometimes take it out of the home do you need another subscription for wifi? cant think of anything else i know they do only certain things not like a full computer tell me about them thanks

You can go to places that have free WiFi, otherwise, you need to have some kind of WiFi service to connect to.

My dad bought one of the 10.1 inch ones over the weekend from Fry's for 199.00. It's a cute little thing, and my parents said they're mostly going to use it on long road trips so my mom can watch video while my dad drives, but DAMN that keyboard was small.

And I have REALLY small hands to boot (I'm barely five feet tall, and I swear I have the hands of a child.) Typing on that thing was not easy. If you're used to "regular" typing with your fingers hovering over ASDF JKL; you're going to make many typos. I almost had to resort to pecking.

But it was very small and cute. I wanted to take it with me to NYC, since Virgin America has WiFi on the plane now. 5-6 hours in flight? I'll pay for the internet!

OKAY...I have a couple questions about netbooks....I have 3 boys ages 15, 11, and 8. My older 2 use my laptop for Itunes, facebook (15-year-old), and to play a couple games. I think one is an online game and the other is loaded on my laptop. I was thinking about getting them Dell netbooks for Christmas (I don't want to hear any nasty comments about Dell...I love Dell and am getting a Dell). We get a discount at Dell because my husband works for P&G. My question is, can they do all of these things on a netbook? Not heavy gaming, just a couple, and mainly surfing and Itunes. Some youtube for videos. I doubt they would watch movies on them because we have a DVD player in our van for travel. I just need some advice from somebody who knows more than I do!!! Thanks!!

OKAY...I have a couple questions about netbooks....I have 3 boys ages 15, 11, and 8. My older 2 use my laptop for Itunes, facebook (15-year-old), and to play a couple games. I think one is an online game and the other is loaded on my laptop. I was thinking about getting them Dell netbooks for Christmas (I don't want to hear any nasty comments about Dell...I love Dell and am getting a Dell). We get a discount at Dell because my husband works for P&G. My question is, can they do all of these things on a netbook? Not heavy gaming, just a couple, and mainly surfing and Itunes. Some youtube for videos. I doubt they would watch movies on them because we have a DVD player in our van for travel. I just need some advice from somebody who knows more than I do!!! Thanks!!

The surfing and itunes yes, haven't tried the gaming on the mini 10. But I love it....What about going up to the Inspiron 1440, it would have the dvd drive and is a little bit bigger screen. It's not a netbook but is fairly affordable.

I'd guess there'll be one that breaks the 100$ barrier. But, in all honesty, it really would be worth spending a bit more. This 100$ net book would probably be stripped down and not be very usable for anything other then websurfing and even then probably would choke on some sites.

If you are insisting on getting a Dell, prices at their refurb store are now some of the lowest available of all brands. They have been running promo codes for 15% and 20% off of a refurbished laptop, making them cheaper than off brands. These prices are much better than those I've found with the company and EPP discounts.

I was actually looking at the outlet refurb ones today. Where can I find a code? That would be a lot cheaper than the EPP discount, and for kids I would rather go that route...

Do you do Twitter? I get the outlet codes on Twitter by following them... You don't have to twitter from your phone, I tend to only have a few people that I see tweets on my phone from and the rest I read when i get up in the am or at night after work....That's how I ordered the boys refurbs for Christmas this year....

Here is the url to the latest sale on the outlet--http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/daylight_savings_sale?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&dgc=SM&cid=22576&lid=1285556 the codes are on that page right now, I would copy the code then go through gottadeal so Brad gets credit and then use the code....

Edited by mgmckny
add info

After seeing the OfficeMax ad at $149, I would have to there will be some under $100 because I expect BB, WM and maybe Meijer to beat this... IMO

It's only Office Max so I'm sure there will be another store to beat that price but it is a decent netbook. I wouldn't doubt if an ad had one for under $100 it would only have a 7" screen, which it WAY too small for a computer! ;)

Wow! I can't believe the people buying their kids a notebook! Seriously, you all need to look at the user reviews for them before buying one. They break VERY easily. Buy a used desktop or upgrade and old computer for the kids if it is just for Farmville umm I mean facebook:)... Or you could give me $100 and I will let them use my laptop for 2 weeks because from the user reviews that is about how long they will last an 8 year old.:eek:

Depends on which games they play. A lot of the on line games now need a dual core and at least 2.10 giga hertz processor.

i was hoping for one for 100-150 with windows 7 - something for my mate

i have a great hpmini with 280 processor, 2g mem, 16 solid state hd, and 6hr battery and it is wonderful - I'm using it now and since it weighs like 2lbs I can hold it in one hand and type in the other while i walk. I've used it for work and fun for the last 2 months with no troubles

I just have to say I purchased a netbook from dell.com and I am VERY ticked off and disappointed. Received it yesterday and it does not work. Keeps shutting off. The internet connection is also iffy. It doesn't come with windows but something else I've never heard of before. Begins with a U. I got it on sale for $199 but still I expect it to work. Dell has no refund policy, they'll only fix it and I've read they don't always "fix" it. Has anyone else had this with these netbooks?

I just have to say I purchased a netbook from dell.com and I am VERY ticked off and disappointed. Received it yesterday and it does not work. Keeps shutting off. The internet connection is also iffy. It doesn't come with windows but something else I've never heard of before. Begins with a U. I got it on sale for $199 but still I expect it to work. Dell has no refund policy, they'll only fix it and I've read they don't always "fix" it. Has anyone else had this with these netbooks?

I've purchased 2 refurbed netbooks and 2 refurbed laptops and all have worked great out of the box. I also have one laptop from them that was purchased new and it was user error (my dh) not a system issue. But all of mine have been vista or xp, not the ubuntu? or linux... All of mine also had a return policy and warranty to cover any issues.

I bought 2 last year for my 2DD's for christmas. the one had problems since the beginning. after sending it back 3 times they finally had to put a new motherboard in it. it now works great. it is the ubuntu operating system, it's actually a great system it is lenox wich makes mac systems. the biggest issue is talking with dell trying to get it fixed!!!!

yes dell customer service STINKS! They don't even provide help or support for this product. It's maddening!

Yes it does stink. I bought a monitor last week and my order kept getting cancelled(what a surprise, read my signature). I called CS and spoke with several 'foreign' personnel. I got passed around to 5 different people. None of them could find my order number(because it was cancelled). I told them my order was cancelled and each one had replied 'You want to cancel your order, what is your the order number?'. I was livid. I had to tell them 'No' my order WAS cancelled and that they won't find it with my order number. It might be cheaper to 'outsource' CS, but it sure sucks, lol.

Ok guys I am typing this out on my acer 10.1 mini. I love it. My 7 y/o son has used it many times without problems. I have had it since May. I have dropped it, my son has dropped it, and the cats have knocked it to the floor both openned and closed and it is still going. I have several middle school students that have this same model, some close to a year! So don't knock a mini, don't get a junkie brand or try to deal with places like dell. Try to get one off someplace like walmart.com and read the reviews!

Ok guys I am typing this out on my acer 10.1 mini. I love it. My 7 y/o son has used it many times without problems. I have had it since May. I have dropped it, my son has dropped it, and the cats have knocked it to the floor both openned and closed and it is still going. I have several middle school students that have this same model, some close to a year! So don't knock a mini, don't get a junkie brand or try to deal with places like dell. Try to get one off someplace like walmart.com and read the reviews!

We also have a little acer. We bought it before the summer and I used it while travelling. We made it our primary laptop as our others have quit. Dh takes it with him during his work week, then the rest of us fight over the desktop. He came home today and brought my little guy back. I'm on it now. :) I use it for Facebook and play Farmville... ;) Among other things...

After seeing this thread, I looked up the Asus, and out of 12 reviews, two people had non functioning netbooks. That scares me a little. A couple complaints were about the small keyboard, cheap mouse keys and it gets hot. Other than that, most were happy. I would really hate to get one that doesn't work---and have to send it to India, which ultimately was one guy's advice from the company. My luck would be one kid getting one that works and the other not. That would be a huge disappointment for me and the kiddo.