Is this the year of the $99 netbook? Sorry No

EliteABombAZ

There could be, but it will be a stripped down 7" version with Linux I'd guess. The same kind you can get now for $149 or so.

Yeah. It will be a great gift for my 7 year old daughter. She wants her own computer and it won't break the bank.

I love my MSI Wind netbook running OSX, though! :D

• 2 weeks later...
I hope so but I don't plan on waiting for it. I think we may see some cheaper ones as it gets closer to Christmas so I plan on picking up one of those. Last year best buy and walmart had some cheap computer deals late in the season and I didn't have to fight the crowds.

ok, forgive me in advance for asking a stupid question, but .....is the netbook different from say, a mini laptop (or any laptop for that matter) ; is it strictly used for the web and nothing else?

Here's the short and sweet answer....

Netbooks (sometimes referred to as mini notebooks or subnotebooks) are a rapidly evolving category of small, light and inexpensive laptop computers suited for general computing and accessing web-based applications; they are often marketed as "companion devices," that is, to augment a user's other computer access. Walt Mossberg called them a "relatively new category of small, light, minimalist and cheap laptops." By August 2009, CNET called netbooks "nothing more than smaller, cheaper notebooks." -- From Wikipedia.

Here's the short and sweet answer....

Netbooks (sometimes referred to as mini notebooks or subnotebooks) are a rapidly evolving category of small, light and inexpensive laptop computers suited for general computing and accessing web-based applications; they are often marketed as "companion devices," that is, to augment a user's other computer access. Walt Mossberg called them a "relatively new category of small, light, minimalist and cheap laptops." By August 2009, CNET called netbooks "nothing more than smaller, cheaper notebooks." -- From Wikipedia.

Thanks. So am I still able to have access to microsoft word if I wanted to? Im looking to replace my desktop and I want a mini something. Whatever I get will be used for shopping sites, and games on yahoo and things like that. I mean, Im in no way a big gamer or anything. Every now and then I might want to use microsoft word. So, does it sound like a netbook is what Im looking for? $99 - $149 is not a bad price range either ; well within my budget.

Thanks in advance for your help and info.

Thanks. So am I still able to have access to microsoft word if I wanted to? Im looking to replace my desktop and I want a mini something. Whatever I get will be used for shopping sites, and games on yahoo and things like that. I mean, Im in no way a big gamer or anything. Every now and then I might want to use microsoft word. So, does it sound like a netbook is what Im looking for? $99 - $149 is not a bad price range either ; well within my budget.

Thanks in advance for your help and info.

A netbook would run MS Word, although the cheaper netbooks in the $99-149 range won't have Windows on them - it'll likely be some flavor or Linux, so you'd have to use something like OpenOffice on them instead of Word.

Netbooks (at least my niece's) do not have a CD or DVD drive so you can't use it as a portable DVD player. Also the one's with Windows do come with Word but be prepared to have a bunch of flash drives or an external hard drive because they don't have much memory. I'm still planning on getting at least one this BF, maybe 2 if they are under $100! ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Netbooks (at least my niece's) do not have a CD or DVD drive so you can't use it as a portable DVD player. Also the one's with Windows do come with Word but be prepared to have a bunch of flash drives or an external hard drive because they don't have much memory. I'm still planning on getting at least one this BF, maybe 2 if they are under $100! ;)

True, but you can probably convert your dvds to divx or some-such and store them on your netbook. Hard drive size depends on the model. Most with really small drives are SSD (no movable parts, should handle vibrations and rough handling better). Many come with regular drives though, mine came with 320GB.

As much abuse as mine gets, I should have purchased an extended warranty. Using a netbook with a regular drive as a gps in an RV going on the Alaska highway is a bit rough on the poor thing. I had three regular drives go out on the trip up, and these were in devices not even powered up (the drive in the netbook survived though). As much as these are apt to be tossed around, an SSD drive is great (and as I stated before, an extended warranty should probably at least be considered).

Okay, I'm really stupid at this...IF they have these at a reasonable price and IF each of my sons would get one, could they go online with our wireless connection? That would be so great so I'm not hearing them fight over who gets the computer and "he's hogging the computer!" This would be so great!

i'm looking for a good deal on the mini at dell.com. do you think it's realistic they may drop to $199 or just wishful thinking?

I think $199 is a bit optimistic since they retail for $299. Are you set on the Dell? I'm not a big fan since you can't upgrade the ram on them. I would guess that they will be around $249 for the holiday a couple of times.

Okay, I'm really stupid at this...IF they have these at a reasonable price and IF each of my sons would get one, could they go online with our wireless connection? That would be so great so I'm not hearing them fight over who gets the computer and "he's hogging the computer!" This would be so great!

Just about every netbook out there now (actually, I think all of them) has a built in wireless adapter. So yes, they would be able to connect to your wireless network.

I think $199 is a bit optimistic since they retail for $299. Are you set on the Dell? I'm not a big fan since you can't upgrade the ram on them. I would guess that they will be around $249 for the holiday a couple of times.

Just about every netbook out there now (actually, I think all of them) has a built in wireless adapter. So yes, they would be able to connect to your wireless network.

i'm all for optimism!! :thumbsup:

I hope so but I don't plan on waiting for it. I think we may see some cheaper ones as it gets closer to Christmas so I plan on picking up one of those. Last year best buy and walmart had some cheap computer deals late in the season and I didn't have to fight the crowds.

I got a $299 laptop from Walmart on one of those deals for my ds. He's still using it and it's still working fine.