Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2009

Brad

2 stores 75% and 1 was 90% south sound, western washington. Very weird, I've never seen them not all go at one time! The 90% was stocked to the rafters with Christmas stuff, but it was spread out all over the store. The aisle of gift wrap, and it was an entire aisle, was clear over in the car care department, which might be why they have so much of it all left! Best items I found were a 5 foot snowman for 9.99, a 5 foot spiral outdoor christmas tree for 2.99, and some baskets that were 1.67 at 90% off in the decor department.

Went to one Target in CT. That was a big waste of time. I think it was still at 75% but the isles with Christmas stuff were so empty, the signs were knocked over and lying somewhere on shelves. I also walked throughout the entire store and didn't see any deals.. The only deal I saw were some hangers for $3.50 instead of $5. The nice velvety-with-grip ones. We needed hangers so I picked those up. There were no candy, no gold fishes, no MM...

I have a couple of questions:

Those great deals that people are finding are marked somehow, right? I mean I can't scan the entire store in hopes of finding a clearance price. Also what about all those household items like glad press-n-seal and zip locks and garbage bags, papper towels that were on clearance. Do they have holiday packaging?? Because that is what I was looking for anything that has wintery pattern I scanned.

Also I don't think I saw any black dots in our dollar spot, but there were two sides that had 75% off signs (Hello Kitty stuff mostly) and the rest didn't have any signs. I scanned Hello Kitty stuff and it scanned at 25 cents but the rest scanned at a dollar so that was all that was 75% off right?? Again I don't know if this was just my Target but it didn't seem like there was that much stuff. I was kind of thinking the whole dollar area was 75% at first...

Those great deals that people are finding are marked somehow, right? I mean I can't scan the entire store in hopes of finding a clearance price. Also what about all those household items like glad press-n-seal and zip locks and garbage bags, papper towels that were on clearance. Do they have holiday packaging?? Because that is what I was looking for anything that has wintery pattern I scanned.

Also I don't think I saw any black dots in our dollar spot, but there were two sides that had 75% off signs (Hello Kitty stuff mostly) and the rest didn't have any signs. I scanned Hello Kitty stuff and it scanned at 25 cents but the rest scanned at a dollar so that was all that was 75% off right?? Again I don't know if this was just my Target but it didn't seem like there was that much stuff. I was kind of thinking the whole dollar area was 75% at first...

1- Clearance household christmas stuff is not always marked or w/ the christmas stuff. I scanned the Glad trash bags w/ the seasonal penguin on the front (they were buried underneath the regular bags) and it rang up full price. However, I took it to the front register and asked if it should be 75% off like the Christmas stuff. They agreed and adjusted the price. The ziplocs had snowflakes on the boxes, the bounty had a christmas design and the electrosol had a penguin on the box. So "seasonal" type things on the packaging.

2- Next to the prices on the dollar spot stuff there is a colored dot. Right now anything w/ the black dot is 75% off.....this is the stuff that you found that was $0.25. One of my targets here NEVER has alot of dollar spot clearance and my other store always has bins and bins of stuff that you have to dig through. So I think it is pretty much hit or miss.

HTH!!

Went to one Target in CT. That was a big waste of time. I think it was still at 75% but the isles with Christmas stuff were so empty, the signs were knocked over and lying somewhere on shelves. I also walked throughout the entire store and didn't see any deals.. The only deal I saw were some hangers for $3.50 instead of $5. The nice velvety-with-grip ones. We needed hangers so I picked those up. There were no candy, no gold fishes, no MM...

In addition to what Dantegirl said, the store you visited may simply get a lot of traffic, and may sell out early. Every store is different in that regard, and some sell out before there are great deals. Also, you have to be there shortly after they mark things down in order to get the good stuff. The lower the price, the faster it goes. If you are new to this, I would recommend following the thread regularly, and then looking for the items mentioned as soon as possible after they are mentioned. Find the items you want before they go clearance, especially holiday merchandise, and then keep an eye on it as they do the markdowns. Sometimes you are willing to pay 30% off just to get something you really want. Other times you'll be willing to let it go if you can't get it for 75% off. We'll have the big toy markdown in the next few days to a week, and we'll have the Valentines & Target Home Design Event markdowns shortly thereafter. This is prime clearance season, and they'll go through each department over the coming months and do clearance and reset with new merchandise.

Also, be sure to read the first post to get the basics of how it all works.

LOL! I feel like I was an employee of Target today since I spent hours there (4 different stores) today.

I sorted through all of my finds today and determined what I still need and what to stay away from - as tempting as it may be... :)

I am hoping to only spend another $20 and will be done.

Here are some things I shopped for:

Valentine's Day - boxes of candy and big red Hershey Kisses. I am even using the Nestle Swirl chocolate chips and picking out the red ones only to make cookies for the kid's school parties.

Easter - I have lots of Easter things from last year's 90% off sale, I have some basket toys and Burt's Bees lip gloss (the red wristlet).

Birthday Gifts - If you have grade school aged girls and their friends like Camp Rock, Hannah Montana or High School Musical, you are in GREAT shape! I bought musical globes, frames, posters, stickers, pens, toys, make-up kits, etc... Look in the holiday 90% off area as well as the dollar spot. My daughter can't wait for her friends to have a birthday now!

Birthday Goodie bags - My daughter is turning 4 in a few weeks. We got the CUTEST goodie bag items at the dollar spot for 25 cents each. Lots of Hello Kitty items, the wooden toys (yo-yo, a ball game) necklaces, CARS - (the movie) items. They had some cute items in the 90% off area (Disney Princess suckers. Hannah Montana candy tins. Hershey Kiss candy holders...) They had some little felt Penguin gift bags that we are going to put everything in. :)

I picked up some of the red boxed gift items (which really are pretty nice) to have on hand for upcoming men's gifts (birthday or Father's Day).

We found things that we can use to decorate the house now - esp. the pinecone items, lights and garland (multi-colored stars).

I am hoping to pick up a couple small trees tomorrow at 90% off. Our store had quite a few left. My daughter wants her own little tree in her room next year. :)

I struck out on finding any home goods other than Electrasol...

Hopefully some of these inspire ideas for some of you to think beyond Christmas as you shop this week.

I was able to find a few books on holiday clearance. Found Dr. Seuss "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" for $3.13 (originally $16), Curious George's Christmas for $3 and some change (Originally $18), and "The story of Christmas" board book for infants was only $1.68 (originally $8). They were all hidden in the book section. Probably missplaced by other shoppers looking at them. I found some others behind the valentines day books on an endcap. Hope that helps someone!

90% off here in WV. I got quite a few things like lights, bags, candy, books, gift sets, and few other things. I was really surprised to find what I did but I also searched through the loads of buggys they had of return stuff in the back of the store.

ok kids are up, dressed with mutiny in their eyes. I think if Target doesnt go 90% this morning my kids are going to go on strike or revolt.

lol! its around 7am here and my DD already asked if we were going ot Target this morning and I told her no, lol. We have been going pretty much everyday since she got out of school for the holidays (dec.19th) and since its rainy here, its a good day to stay home.

Target went to 90% yesterday.... Went and OMG!!! Some people are raging crazies.... I was able to get some wrapping paper, gift bags that sing.:)(thought cute for the kids) that pinecone smelly stuff..... name tags(one lady took the whole case....) door alarms, ipod speakers, back massager, little refrig. Some other things but can't remember.....:) I probably could have gotten more but was already there for 3 HRS.....:)

Sioux City, IA and Sioux Falls, SD stores still at 75% off this morning. Never went in, just called to check. The lady at the Sioux City store said they just wait until corporate tells them to go but has no idea when that might happen. Yesterday I talked to someone at the Sioux Falls stores and they said probably the middle of this week.

I saw a Panasonic microwave on clearance for $75 yesterday. There were several, so I came home to research it before buying (it's big and heavy, lol. No unneeded returns for me). Does anyone know how long they have been on clearance? 50% is good, 75% would be great. If I buy now and they are still there at 75% I can rebuy and return with the old receipt, right? If I remember right, it's just the seasonal stuff that you loose out on by getting the current price for returns.

Mine was 90% yesterday with Nothing left!!! the candles and shower and cologne sets were only 30% though. I wonder why???? By the way, I am SICK SICK SICK of seeing the camp rock and hannah montana stuff on clearance. Get rid of that stuff already and get some real goodies on clearance!!!

I happened to be at the Coralville, Iowa Super Target on Friday - and the deals were hot, hot, hot!

I found nice cotton towels, jersey sheets ($4.98) and assorted bathroom rug collections ($2 - $4.38) all at ridiculously low prices. They had brought in a wheeled bookshelf/bin from the stockroom (this would never normally be seen in the customer area of the store), left it in a towels aisle and the prices were phenomenal.

I guess they are expecting entire new lines of bathroom rugs and towels for Spring 2009?

I was delighted to buy the "out of style" items.

As for Christmas stuff, the best deals were the Hello,Kitty items in the dollar spot at 75% off. Not much left except for wrapping paper. Very few edibles left - no Cadbury cookie assortments :(

At the nearby Super WalMart, I found lots of good deals at 75% off - cosmetic assortments in little purses, teen-themed flannel pants, holiday socks, cosmetic bags, placemats - all good items to tuck away for future gifts.

Target on Winchester in Memphis, TN and Horn Lake, MS still holding at %75%. Not much worth left picking over either. I 've checked the Target on Winchester for 5 days straight and they aren't budging. Not sure if I'll even bother tomorrow. It's a 40 minute drive for me, and I'm beginning to add up my gas costs and reconsider if it's worth the hunt anymore.

90% at Hampton, Newport News and Williamsburg (new one), VA.

Scored at NN. I was the first one there and they had put out snowman throws, ziploc containers, glad containers, plates, cups, surge protectors, parchment paper/aluminum foil, glad press and seal, etc. I got what I wanted in the first couple of minutes, which was good because one lady came through taking all of those things.

Target on Winchester in Memphis, TN and Horn Lake, MS still holding at %75%. Not much worth left picking over either. I 've checked the Target on Winchester for 5 days straight and they aren't budging. Not sure if I'll even bother tomorrow. It's a 40 minute drive for me, and I'm beginning to add up my gas costs and reconsider if it's worth the hunt anymore.

It's not very far for me, but I am wondering the same thing. I would love to replace my tree if they had some with multi-color lights, but theirs are all white lights. Otherwise all I really want is gift bags. I don't know if I really need to keep going back for those.