Perimeter Perusing at Target (Target Clearance Deals) - 2008

Gator Pam

Overall the customer service at the Targets in my area is pretty good. Everyone once in awhile you get one with an attitude. I've had some not want to do price adjustments but if it's within a $5.00 threshold, they are not supposed to question it. This is what I heard a supervisor tell a cashier one time.

Now as far as an item that is showing not on file, that is an item that is so old that it no longer shows in the system. I would've challenged it (I'm not criticizing anyone so please don't take offense).

The manager was being lazy because there is a way they can look it up in another system; not just at the self-scanner.

In my experiences here, just because one Target has it for a blow-out price, another in the area may not. So even though there is a blow out deal on here in one location, it may not be that way in our local Target. (Although I am hoping I get a roaster for $12.48 and a new vacuum for $6.xx....lol)

I think you are doing the right thing by calling corporate. Target prides themself on good customer service. I would've been livid if I was in your shoes to be treated so poorly and made to feel like you were trying to take advantage.

I called Friday morning and they said it was still 75%. After I got home and checked the board, I called back and they said 90%!?!?! :mad: My big 90% score was: ballerina barbie ($.49), 4 white dishes with a Silver Snowflake in the center ($1.99), these were hidden behind "regular" dishes in the dish aisle, and 3 dark (wicker?) baskets that were $1.99 and $2.99, regularly $19.99 and $29.99, and a reed diffuser in the candle aisle for $1.99. I did get a bunch of wrapping paper and some Command strips, and a 6ft tree for $1.99. :) :) :)

I am calling corporate. I was so embarrassed becase at this point the cashier says to me, "In all my time working here I have never seen a game priced that low before, I just don't believe it"... I said well when you have time check out gottadeal.com and look at the Target thread... over 1000 posts a month about finds such as this one... and yeah they do go that low.

YIKES! Do we want them to know about GOTTADEAL - although it is a free forum...BUT:eyepoppin

Target was moving all their clearance toys to 2 aisles. They were breaking down some other aisles. I took 4 of the huggie wipes that had christmas stuff on it to the cashier. I said are these Christmas clearance and she looked at them and said "yep" rang them up at 75% off and I said oh Christmas went to 90% saturday and she changed it saying "oh I never work back there". There were some christmas hello kitty pjs but I didnt want to push my luck as they rang up full price and were NOT in the Christmas section.

I was UGLY this morning you guys. :sleazy:

I went to my Target this morning to hide some of the Barbie Girls accessory packs that are only 30% but I know will be going lower. I was there when they opened because I have to be at work at 9:00 and I work 40 minutes away. :gdcar: Well about 5 minutes before 8:00 this woman walked up to the door and saw an employee standing just inside the door with Christmas tree in a shopping cart. She made the comment that she hoped that he wasn't buying that because that's what she was there for, a Christmas tree.

I was nice and kind of giggled and said "good luck. they sold out of trees on Saturday morning at 8:05." So she gets really snotty and says, "well I was here last night and they had one, so that's why I am here this morning to get it." Well, if it was here last night, you should have bought it last night because it probably won't be here now. So at this point she is being absolutely hateful and ask if that is what I am there for. I told her yes. It wasn't but she was being so nasty about it.:2stickpok

So when we get in, I spoke to the manager (yes we are on a first name basis) got a cart and headed for the back. Well, this woman didn't even get a cart. She just bee-lined for Christmas.:gdrunner: Her daughter dropped her shoe probably 5 feet inside the door. I called her probably 4 or 5 times and said, "ma'am, your daughter dropped her shoe." "excuse me, you dropped your daughter's shoe." and she was SOOOO worried about getting a tree that she wouldn't even listen to me. Well she beat me to Christmas by 45 seconds or so and there was a tree. A white glacial pine pre-lit 7.5 foot....SCORE!!! :clapping: but she didn't have a buggy and no way to do anything with it. :sidesplitAs she walked past me to get a cart, she said "That's mine." :gdcensored:so I did what any red-blooded Mississippi girl would do.... I picked it up and put it in my cart and went to toys. :gdfight::2wiggle:

The thing is, honestly, I wasn't there for a tree, didn't need another tree, didn't want another tree, have no use for another tree and the only reason that I bought it was to keep her from getting it. Sometimes, it pays to just be nice, you know. If she hadn't been so dog gone ugly, I might have given her one of the 6 I bought on Saturday.

Oh and I forgot the part about breaking my finger in the process. When I put the tree in the cart, I got my finger caught between the tree and the cart and broke my finger. The price you pay for being ugly I guess.

I went to my target on Friday night, just to see if they were 90% off yet... they werent, BUT i always do laps around to see what else in on clearance in different departments... they had the kiddie bathsets on sale for $4.xx.. well, my store had the one of the barbie sets on sale for $1.26!!!! I was sooo happy since I have 2 neices and most of my gf's have daughters... I bought all 8 that they had... I wonder why only those ones were $1.... Either way that was my good find for Friday... Saturday, I just happend to go to another target in the area, and THEY WERE 90%!!!! I bought EVERY gift box and wrapping paper I could find, and got cards, bows, boxes, calendars,ornaments... you name it I got it... I have an SUV and the WHOLE back is FILLED!!!!! I only spent like $35!!!!! I was sooo happy....

I went to my Target this morning to hide some of the Barbie Girls accessory packs that are only 30% but I know will be going lower. I was there when they opened because I have to be at work at 9:00 and I work 40 minutes away. :gdcar: Well about 5 minutes before 8:00 this woman walked up to the door and saw an employee standing just inside the door with Christmas tree in a shopping cart. She made the comment that she hoped that he wasn't buying that because that's what she was there for, a Christmas tree.

I was nice and kind of giggled and said "good luck. they sold out of trees on Saturday morning at 8:05." So she gets really snotty and says, "well I was here last night and they had one, so that's why I am here this morning to get it." Well, if it was here last night, you should have bought it last night because it probably won't be here now. So at this point she is being absolutely hateful and ask if that is what I am there for. I told her yes. It wasn't but she was being so nasty about it.:2stickpok

So when we get in, I spoke to the manager (yes we are on a first name basis) got a cart and headed for the back. Well, this woman didn't even get a cart. She just bee-lined for Christmas.:gdrunner: Her daughter dropped her shoe probably 5 feet inside the door. I called her probably 4 or 5 times and said, "ma'am, your daughter dropped her shoe." "excuse me, you dropped your daughter's shoe." and she was SOOOO worried about getting a tree that she wouldn't even listen to me. Well she beat me to Christmas by 45 seconds or so and there was a tree. A white glacial pine pre-lit 7.5 foot....SCORE!!! :clapping: but she didn't have a buggy and no way to do anything with it. :sidesplitAs she walked past me to get a cart, she said "That's mine." :gdcensored:so I did what any red-blooded Mississippi girl would do.... I picked it up and put it in my cart and went to toys. :gdfight::2wiggle:

The thing is, honestly, I wasn't there for a tree, didn't need another tree, didn't want another tree, have no use for another tree and the only reason that I bought it was to keep her from getting it. Sometimes, it pays to just be nice, you know. If she hadn't been so dog gone ugly, I might have given her one of the 6 I bought on Saturday.

Oh and I forgot the part about breaking my finger in the process. When I put the tree in the cart, I got my finger caught between the tree and the cart and broke my finger. The price you pay for being ugly I guess.

:sidesplit

Too funny! I'm so sick of everyone's crabby attitudes myself so I probably would have done the same thing. If she had been friendly from the start I probably would have offered her my cart when I saw her back there. What in the world was she thinking running back there with no cart? I bet she was PEEVED! I'm surprised she wasn't waiting for you in the parking lot!:gdparanoid:

Does anyone know when the toy clearance will be? I'm wondering if it will depend on the store, kind of like the markdowns on the Christmas.... I only have one teenager, and one niece, but loads of cousin's kids to buy for next Christmas so I would love to be able to find a few more things to put away for later...

My Target had about 4 or 5 of the Thomas Christmas sets, but they were orange stickered should I try for 90% off anyways?? Or will they not give it to you if it has a orange sticker?

I tried to get them for 90% at a couple of my Targets (PDX, OR and Vancouver, WA). It was a no go. :( Apparently, these Targets had associated those sets with toys and not with holiday.

"You could always pull off the red sticker and tell them it was in the christmas section! Maybe 90% off"

I thought the same thing, but that's beyond my limits. I won't take stickers off in the store. IMO (and accoding to store policies) that is shoplifting. If the cashier sees the prices and will override, good for me. If not, well, guess it wasn't ment to be. I don't mean to be harsh. I do appriciate that you posted a reply. Just want to say that feels too dishonest to me.

Just curious where you are getting that? Do you work for them? I have never seen anything of that sort posted anywhere. It is certainly one of those things that some people will and some people won't do, but I am not aware of any sort of policy being out there.

Hey! That was well worth it (not the breaking the finger part-ouch! Sorry!)! Even if you just took it and hid it somewhere in the store that would have been hilarious! Serves her right! And who in their right mind would have left it there in the first place! I would have held on to it until someone working there came by if I had wanted it that bad! You go girl!

As she walked past me to get a cart, she said "That's mine." :gdcensored:so I did what any red-blooded Mississippi girl would do.... I picked it up and put it in my cart and went to toys. :gdfight::2wiggle:

:sidesplit:yelclap: This has got to be the funniest post I have read in a long time. God bless you and your Mississippi Humor, how refreshing ROFLMAO

Originally Posted by fluffkin79

"You could always pull off the red sticker and tell them it was in the christmas section! Maybe 90% off"

I thought the same thing, but that's beyond my limits. I won't take stickers off in the store. IMO (and accoding to store policies) that is shoplifting. If the cashier sees the prices and will override, good for me. If not, well, guess it wasn't ment to be. I don't mean to be harsh. I do appriciate that you posted a reply. Just want to say that feels too dishonest to me.

Just curious where you are getting that? Do you work for them? I have never seen anything of that sort posted anywhere. It is certainly one of those things that some people will and some people won't do, but I am not aware of any sort of policy being out there.

I have heard that too, but not just Target, anywhere. It would be the same if a store only used price tags instead of UPC codes and someone switched or removed tags. That is wrong too. IMO

Originally Posted by fluffkin79

I have heard that too, but not just Target, anywhere. It would be the same if a store only used price tags instead of UPC codes and someone switched or removed tags. That is wrong too. IMO

The reason I ask is that it isn't the same as switching a tag. Target's policy is to use the UPC code to look up the last price of the item. The tag thing is particularly problematic when they get returns of products that were sold to a customer at 30%, but returned after they went salvage or a lower price. The tag doesn't indicate the last sold price, but if it is on there, it is what they'll charge if it comes up not on file. That isn't fair to the customer who should have gotten it for the lower price. Their actual policy is that if they cannot find the correct price, they are supposed to give it to the price change team to find the correct price and mark it, not give it to the customer at whatever price they determine, unless it is within their $25 limit. And some store are sticklers for the price change team finding a price regardless of the cost of the item.

Now if you are switching red tags to other items, that is an entirely different ball of wax. That is considered the same as shoplifting.

Oh, and basically, lying and saying that an item is supposed to be Christmas merchandise when you know for a fact that they consider it a toy instead (however unreasonable that may be) is pretty much the same thing as what you are describing with the tags. I guess some people may see some moral distinction, but I am not sure I can see that. Just my $.02.

Today, I got 3 different Cars gift packs for $3.99 each!:eyepoppin

~Lightning McQueen's Crew(Lightning McQueen, Lightning Ramone, Flo)

~Dirt Track(Cactus Lighting McQueen, Sheriff, Doc Hudson)

~Piston Cup(Lightning McQueen, Charlie Checker, The King)

Don't know what the reg. price was on these, but I thought this was a great deal!

I found 4 of these yesterday They were not scanning a price and since they say "gift set" I asked the teenage employee (Clearnance was 90% off) he was convinced they were supposed to be on sale but his manager came and snatched all 3 different sets and took them in the back and left one in the kids Return cart...he CLAIMS they are 8.99, they scanned them several times and never got a price to come up so how he came up with that magic number and "decided" to take 3 different sets to the back is BEYOND ME :no:

DANG IT!

I found 4 of these yesterday They were not scanning a price and since they say "gift set" I asked the teenage employee (Clearnance was 90% off) he was convinced they were supposed to be on sale but his manager came and snatched all 3 different sets and took them in the back and left one in the kids Return cart...he CLAIMS they are 8.99, they scanned them several times and never got a price to come up so how he came up with that magic number and "decided" to take 3 different sets to the back is BEYOND ME :no:

DANG IT!

Yeah, I double checked locally, and they ring up $13.99 at both our stores. I was all hopeful after someone posted $3.99, but no such luck!

:sidesplit

Too funny! I'm so sick of everyone's crabby attitudes myself so I probably would have done the same thing. If she had been friendly from the start I probably would have offered her my cart when I saw her back there. What in the world was she thinking running back there with no cart? I bet she was PEEVED! I'm surprised she wasn't waiting for you in the parking lot!:gdparanoid:

Ditto. I wouldn't want to make you angy. She was there for a tree and didn't bother getting a cart-genious.

Oh and I forgot the part about breaking my finger in the process. When I put the tree in the cart, I got my finger caught between the tree and the cart and broke my finger.

You know, karma works both ways. Maybe that woman just lost her job or had a house fire, (or in my case) a flood and lost everything, and they only way she was going to be able to get a tree for next year is if she got it now at such a cheap price. Probably not, but maybe. You had no need for the tree, and you were being mean because she was being mean. WOW.

Oh and I forgot the part about breaking my finger in the process. When I put the tree in the cart, I got my finger caught between the tree and the cart and broke my finger.

You know, karma works both ways. Maybe that woman just lost her job or had a house fire, (or in my case) a flood and lost everything, and they only way she was going to be able to get a tree for next year is if she got it now at such a cheap price. Probably not, but maybe. You had no need for the tree, and you were being mean because she was being mean. WOW.

Karma does work both ways... and when I lost EVERYTHING in a flood, I personally was grateful for any kindness shown me. I didn't go around with a chip on my shoulder, it wasn't anyone else's fault. I think if she had been a little nicer the whole situation would have played out differently. The bottom line is even when you have a bad day, the way you treat people will always come back to you.

I started last year and it was AWESOME! Anyway, as you may have seen some toys are marked 15%, 30% and 50% - they will go down all the way to 90% if any are left.

They typically do mark downs weekly - going from 15% to 30% to 50% to 75% then to 90% - but as we have seen with Christmas we don't know for sure when it will happen. YOu just have to keep a watch!

Watch to see if they are resetting toys - moving all Clearance toys together - or if you see alot of employees working. I don't totally trust calling to see if they marked down.....

I am sure others have some input, ideas or please correct me if I am wrong! TKS!

Thanks for the information!

As she walked past me to get a cart, she said "That's mine." :gdcensored:so I did what any red-blooded Mississippi girl would do.... I picked it up and put it in my cart and went to toys. :gdfight::2wiggle:

Really, that is one of the funniest things I've read in a very long time. I would have wanted to do the same thing, but would have chickened out. :blush: Guess I shoulda been born in Mississippi! :)