Sears rip off

have you ever bought a major appliance from sears & tried to return it? well before you do, be sure to read the fine print on the back of the reciept BEFORE you sign it! my brother & his wife spent alot of money for an apt size w&d. the sales lady told them they had 90 days to see if they liked it or not. they had it delivered, but that day the water was off due to a broken pipe, so the delivery guys only installed it did not run it. a couple of weeks later, the washer began making noise, & smelling hot. they called sears & were told they could not return it. the 90 day return policy has limitations & the person on the phone said they should have read the back of the reciept. (which the sale rep at the store did not point out) in order to return the w&d, it has to be in it's original packaging, & UNUSED! how can this be? how do you know if you are satisfied if you don't USE it? and since they had it delivered, it didn't come in a box. they explained that to the sales person but it made no difference. all sears would do is send out a repairman. a repair guy came out & said the motor was bad & a pump was going out. said they must have got a lemon. he told them that sears is famous for that. he told them that it's the nature of the machine to be noisey. he put a new motor in but it's still noisey. doensn't smell hot anymore but makes alot of noise. i've had a few washers & i've never heard one like that! my brother then went online to sears consumer complaints & found many many unhappy customers. so a word of warning to any future sears shoppers...read the fine print, the back of your reciept and ask ask ask every question you can think of regarding the full return policy! i for one will never ever shop at sears again.

I had a smililar problem when I bought a fridge, stove and microwave from Sears. We had just bought the house and were still in the painting and fixing everything stage when we ordered our stuff. we hadn't moved in yet. Well the dimensions on the fridge were off by 1" so it wouldn't fit. They were nice about switching them out. No problems what so ever...

Well, on the stove I had left all the plastic on it. We were painting and stuff in there, so i didn't want to mess it up. When I went to take the plastic off I noticed a good size dent on the top right side. (if you are facing it, it was the piece that sticks up behind the stove... but, on the right side of it.) We hadn't noticed it cause we had the radio next to it. it was in an odd place to get to, so I know we didn't do it. I called our sales lady and she told me who to call. THEN she told me that she wasn't suppose to tell me this, but she would. (she has worked there forever) that when it comes to repairs and stuff like that they will try whatever to get out of fixing it. That I needed to demand a new one.

so I call.... of course I got the "oh so sorry" So i asked for someone else. The next person told me they couldn't send me a new one, but could send me the part to replace it. I asked him, "Do you think I work on stoves everyday? I Don't think so. I want a new one!" then I asked for another supervisor. Another came to the phone. He then told me that he could give me a discount off of the stove, BUT he couldn't give me an amount till I agreed with it. I said, "let me repeat myself ONE MORE TIME. I want a NEW one! I have everything NEW and I want a NEW ONE!" He said, "oh okay, when would you like us to deliver?" :mad: UGHGHG

so the sales lady was right. they will try anything to get out of it. But, enough of standing your ground... they will give in! I had a new stove 2 days later!

even when they took back the fridge it had scratches all over the side of it where mY FIL tried to FORCE it in the hole.:confused: .... they still took it back! :)

I live near a sears scratch and dent so all my appliances are from sears and all of them have a dent. But if I was purchasing it from the store I would expect it to be perfect and I would raise holly fits until it was perfect.

I have had nothing but great experiences from Sears. All of my appliances are from Sears and are also Kenmore. I did have a problem with a microwave and got absolutely nothing but attitude from the saleswoman. I demanded to speak with a manager and told him that all my appliances were from Sears, as well as my tools. He apologized, explained to me that salespeople don't get paid much anymore and come and go like the wind. Not only did he replace my micro, he gave me the next model up for my trouble. No matter who you are dealing with, if you aren't happy, ask to speak to someone higher up. One time I had an issue with Sprint and eventually got up to an assistant to the CEO! As long as it is a legitimate complaint, stand your ground.

Not to play devils advocate, but too many people take advantage of return policies. While I agree that something needs to be done to to fix a W&D that is a lemon, it wasn't fair to return a fridge to Sears that was scratched up from forcing it into an opening where it wouldn't fit and get a full refund. Just my two cents.

A couple of years ago, I bought a refrigerator for my garage from Sears. It was a big deal because they didn't have the one in the ad available so I got an upgraded model complete with an icemaker (which I don't use because I don't have water in my garage :)). Plugged it in, filled it up, and went on a 2 week vacation. When I returned and went into the garage to put away the suitcases, the smell was overwelming (It gets hot in Az in the summer). Rotten meat, etc. I called Sears and told them about the problem. The best that they could do was send out a repairman. He was incredibly professional, offered to repair the unit or replace it. He even offered me help with getting a food credit for all of the rotten meat. The new frig was delivered and has worked like a charm. I had a bit of a hassle with the store manager on the food credit (he kept telling me that he was doing me a favor since I didn't purchase the insurance) but in the end, I was happy with their response.

I like Sears appliances. I bought a dishwasher (best one I ever had) from Sears. It broke after about 8 years so we just decided to buy another one instead of fixing the old one. When we went to Sears, we couldn't get anyone to wait on us. DH got upset and we left. We bought a dishwasher elsewhere and it is nothing compared to the Kenmore.

Sears usually makes quality appliances although anything can be defective. The problem I have with Sears is that the sales clerks act like you offend them if you ask them for help.

Not to play devils advocate, but too many people take advantage of return policies. While I agree that something needs to be done to to fix a W&D that is a lemon, it wasn't fair to return a fridge to Sears that was scratched up from forcing it into an opening where it wouldn't fit and get a full refund. Just my two cents.

oh I am sorry, I think I typed it out wrong or something. we didn't ask for a refund due to the damage to the fridge. heck, I didn't even know it had scratches on it till the man that came to get it pulled it out of the kitchen. I had a sheet over it so it wouldn't get paint on it. The last I knew was it wouldn't fit and they were 'exchanging it out' for a smaller fridge. When the man took the sheet off I was floored. But he told me not to worry about it because they can't sell it at full price anyways, since it was out of the box and all. that it would be sold as scratch and dent... with or without the scratches. But by no means was I trying to get a refund or return it becuase my FIL was a moron at the time. :)

My stove is from sears and I am very happy with it. My mom & stepdad and my dad both have washer and dryers from sears and have never had any problems with them. My moms are 16 years old. All the stores in my area are great. They always have stuff in stock and the associates are very helpful. When I got my stove, I wanted a model that they had been discontinued before I could get back into buy it. The associate spent an hour trying to find one and even got the manager to write off the shipping charges if one needed to be shipped. Well one was found about a hour drive from me but would have taken two to three weeks to get so I decided to go get it myself and the manager gave me a 10% discount and took all my info down and about two weeks later I got a card and giftcard worth $20.00 for my troubles!

We decided to buy a new dishwasher this week from Sears. Looked at them online and it says they are having a sale: buy 1 appliance get 10% off buy 2 get 15% buy 3 get 20%. So I decided on the model I liked and off to the store I went. Was told by the salesman that it is a Mail In Rebate if you buy it in the store, even though they didn't have it in stock and would have to order it anyway!! But if you order it online, they automatically take the % off of your total!! Needless to say, I went home and ordered it online and had it delivered free to the store for pickup and got the 10% discount. Why would I mail it in when I can get it deducted upfront?!

Get to pick it up today, YAY! :)

My mom bought a new washer and dryer from Sears, and then she died just outside the 90 days. Yet she hardly did any laundry so they were still like showroom new. She owed on her Sears card for them; Sears took them back no questions asked.

Maybe they thought since she owed on them and no longer around, maybe this is the only way Sears would get their money back?

Shucks, I always thought they were being nice.

I bought a fridge from them that was a lemon. I normally do not buy the warrentys but for some unknown reason (fate) I did on it. Thank goodness. I quit working and ruined all of our groceries 3 times in a year before I went nuts on them (daughter was 4 weeks old and I had was having some "issues" with depression) and they finally were willing to replace instead of "fix". They did take care of me in the end but I will not be buying any major appliances from them again.

Keep in mind all that Sears doesn't manufacture any of their appliances. They strike deals with the major manufacturers, add some unique features and put the Kenmore name on it. (Check this site out: http://www.applianceaid.com/searscodes.html) Sears prides themselves on their tools and appliances and has higher quality standards then most. However, working in manufacturing, I can tell you no matter how much quality control there is a lemon gets out every now and then. Problem is people always remember the negatives and never the positives.

• 2 weeks later...
thats what i was worried about when i got my washer i waited w month before i order it because i was afraid i would get a lemon (my luck), they also say that if they have to take it back there is a 20% charge for restocking it. so far everything is ok i haven't had a problem, i have noticed a funny smell from time to time when i use the washer but i think it might just be because it's new. the delivery guys took the box with them. i hope it'll be ok.

EVERY appliannce I have ever bought in the last 23 years has been from Sears. Washer/dryer (2 diff. sets) fridge (2 of them) stove, microwave, freezers (3 of them) dishwasher, water softener, water heater .........NEVER had a problem in all those years. Any replacements I bought were just to update, not because the appliance quit working. DH refuses to even look anywhere else when we ned an appliance. Maybe we have just been lucky...

Beware the extended "Warranty" plans! We bought a large freestanding craftsman sander from Sears withthe extended warranty (WHAT A JOKE!) It went out within a year (still under the original warranty period). I called service and it took them 3 weeks to arrive and we live within 5 minutes of a full service Sears store. He took it apart and left it sitting in pieces spread out in our garage taking up 5 times as much space as originally. We were then told it was past the warranty one year when I called to as when they were coming back. It seems the one year expired while waiting for him to come back.We never saw anyone again. I told them we had the extended warranty and they said OK. It took 8 months of calls and yelling to get a replacement.

To top it off, I had charged the original purchase to my Sears Card. They charged the repalcement to my CC. I refuded to pay it. After 2 years of arguments, they took me to court for an unpaid CC and now the court said I owe them $1800 for FC and late fees and nonpayment ( there was nothing else charged to the card ever). So my $450 sander cost me $2250, almost a year of no tool trying to get it replaced, and I still had the mess of the old one spread out throughout my workshop that they NEVER CAME BACK to repair!

Beware the extended "Warranty" plans! We bought a large freestanding craftsman sander from Sears withthe extended warranty (WHAT A JOKE!) It went out within a year (still under the original warranty period). I called service and it took them 3 weeks to arrive and we live within 5 minutes of a full service Sears store. He took it apart and left it sitting in pieces spread out in our garage taking up 5 times as much space as originally. We were then told it was past the warranty one year when I called to as when they were coming back. It seems the one year expired while waiting for him to come back.We never saw anyone again. I told them we had the extended warranty and they said OK. It took 8 months of calls and yelling to get a replacement.

To top it off, I had charged the original purchase to my Sears Card. They charged the repalcement to my CC. I refuded to pay it. After 2 years of arguments, they took me to court for an unpaid CC and now the court said I owe them $1800 for FC and late fees and nonpayment ( there was nothing else charged to the card ever). So my $450 sander cost me $2250, almost a year of no tool trying to get it replaced, and I still had the mess of the old one spread out throughout my workshop that they NEVER CAME BACK to repair!

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is horrible. I feel for you.....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Mixed results from Sears -- W/D have been OK, although the washer gets out of alignment way too much for my tastes (and I don't overstuff the drum). The fridge is AWESOME, and I would buy it again in a heartbeat. Dishwasher is OK at cleaning and also quiet. But the gas stove is a piece o crap and I would advise everyone never to buy it. All the kitchen apps are high-end SS. But the stove, where you REALLY need wearability, has faux stainless on many of its parts (cheap silver plastic, for instance). And sealed burners (it's gas) are a joke -- stuff gets inside the drip trays and rusts. The pull bars for the oven are metal (not SS, but made to look like it) but they're held on with PLASTIC connectors. How screwed up is that?

All are Kenmore brand. So I guess the moral of the story is it's a crapshoot, and you should really really do your research on specific model numbers before plunking down the money.

I love Sears. I've bought two washer/dryer sets, a fridge, and an under counter convection oven through them. The first washer set I bought, I ended up selling to my brother because I wanted a front loading set. (They were five years old, and still running like new. Now they are six years old, and no complaints from my brother or SIL.) The fridge is six years old as well, and still is also running like new. The oven is awesome. It is SS, which I would prefer not to have, but had to go with that model because of the size of my cupboard where I was putting it. Overall, I love sears. And the rebates you can get are awesome!

My mom is a retired Sears employee so of course all her appliances are Sears appliances. I have a stand up freezer she bought at sears about 25 years ago and it still works GREAT! Its not frost free so I have to defrost it occassionaly, but hey it lets me stock up on frozen and meat when I find them on sale. She has the whole house maintenace plan and they have basically replaced the entire inside of her washer and dryer(only thing left was the metal case) finally completely replacing the washer a few years ago, if something breaks and they cant fix it they just give her a credit for the item and she goes and picks out a new item. Her 20 yr old microwave( you know the great BIG ones) broke and she go to go to the store and pick out a brand new one at no cost to her. She has been able to do this with her vacuum, air cleaner, microwave, washer, etc... We are waiting for her console tv to go out again so she can get a new one of those.

Our Sears never has anything in stock. When I go appliance hunting, it's usually because the other one quit. I take a truck so that I can haul it home. I got tired of Sears always having to order so I go straight to Lowe's now.

U must have the same sears as I do lol

• 2 weeks later...

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is horrible. I feel for you.....:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

:eyepoppin OMG! That has to be THE worst Sears rip off in history. I'm really sorry you had to go thru all of that & give your right arm. Just reaffirms my decision to NEVER NEVER NEVER, shop at Sleazy Sears!