Are you as excited this year? With more stores opening on "Black Thursday"

lakiaw

well since im a walmart employee i can give you my perspective. I will most likely have to work on both thanskgiving and black friday and i am a life time black friday shopper. I support my walmart with my life though. I feel sorry for people who bad mouth places that provide employement, benefits and a job.

• Like 3

We went out at 9pm Thanksgiving night last year and it was just not the same :(  We didn't have nearly as much fun as the previous 10 plus years we have been shopping BFG.

So we just decided last night to  *take back black friday!* We plan to have our Thanksgiving as usual and then grab a few hours of sleep. We plan to set our alarms for 3am and be at our first store by 4am. Will we miss a few possible doorbusters?  Maybe, but northing we can't live without.  It helps that I can do my Kohls shopping on-line Wednesday!

So now that we have that settled, I am once again excited for Black Friday :) 

• Like 3

Not at all. The  4 to 5 am opening was the best! People could enjoy their holiday and have time to take a little nap and get up ready to go.  I really wish they would take it back to those opening times. Wishful thinking I know.  Oh well, l this nurse will be working on the night shift on thanksgiving so ill be online shopping from work  :cheesy:

• Like 1

No ... its not the same any more and not nearly as much fun as it used to be. We will head out sometime late Thanksgiving night/Friday morning to do some shopping but since these earlier times started our shopping on BF has decreased more and more each year. We host Thanksgiving dinner and I refuse to rush or change our dinner plans because of a sale. If I missed out on some door buster sales oh well.

• Like 2

I'm out of work this year so I wouldn't be going out anyway. This year will be a homemade holiday around here. However, even if I were working I probably wouldn't go out on Thanksgiving day. My brother and SIL did the 10pm openings the year those started. After standing in line at 2-3 stores after a long day with family we were exhausted and bitchy and just not having any fun. We went home and went to bed and missed the early mooring openings that we wanted to hit. It just ended up being a frustrating and not fun experience and I won't be doing it again. Last year I did wonder into the stores in the morning on Friday and got some good deals, but nothing great.

We went out at 9pm Thanksgiving night last year and it was just not the same :(  We didn't have nearly as much fun as the previous 10 plus years we have been shopping BFG.

So we just decided last night to  *take back black friday!* We plan to have our Thanksgiving as usual and then grab a few hours of sleep. We plan to set our alarms for 3am and be at our first store by 4am. Will we miss a few possible doorbusters?  Maybe, but northing we can't live without.  It helps that I can do my Kohls shopping on-line Wednesday!

So now that we have that settled, I am once again excited for Black Friday :)

I love the "Take Back Black Friday" idea and I'm right there with you.  We may not be everyone, but we are a few of many that are taking a stand, keeping our BF tradition, and will STILL will have fun doing it!  Yay for Black Friday!

• Like 4

I don't like the stores opening up before midnight. I'm a night owl and once the kids are in bed, I wouldn't mind going out shopping with some friends. I don't like that stores are opening at 5 or 7 or even 9. I hate getting up early, but I did it every year to get good deals. The past couple years have been kind of blah for me though. So I'll probably do a little shopping online, maybe go out at midnight, or a "late early" morning - like 6 or 7 am instead of 4 or 5. It really depends on if anything in the ads match what my kids want.

Gotta say I love Menards front page of their ad.  I respect their decision to stay closed on Thanksgiving, they may be the only store I go to this year.  I just can't support opening on Thanksgiving.  I love Black Friday.  It was the only way I could afford Christmas for my son when he was little.  I remember being outside of Toys R Us at 4am and the news there covering it 18 years ago.  Can't believe my memories are all that is going to be left of Black Friday.  I'll miss the craziness.  Guess I'll just take the day and do something relaxing since I have the day off.

• Like 3

I guess it's whatever your tradition is. We always had Thanksgivings at 11 or 12 because dad was an air traffic controller, so he worked every holiday, including Christmas, because he would get Holiday pay plus night differential, plus OT if it was over his 40 hours. Matter of fact I can't remember any holiday he DIDN'T work. So I continued the lunch tradition. Wouldn't affect me except I'm traveling that night to in laws, then flying home first thing Friday.

Agree that the Friday crowds are less that way. Miss door busters but last year found almost everything anyways.

Edited by nyicequeen

I think because I do so much online shopping now in the weeks leading up to BF, it hasn't seemed to affect me much. With the 8:00-9:00 openings it did mean that I no longer had to set an alarm for 3 a.m. and try to get moving with a couple hours of sleep, so that's been nice.  We host Thanksgiving at our house, and at the end of the night when everyone goes home (around 8-9) my brother and I were able to go on out to the stores and get our shopping done instead of waking up in the middle of the night to grog our way around. But I'm never out for doorbusters, I just try to get what I can at great prices, and it's usually little things like toys, games, movies, etc. Same for my brother.  Now, if I were a doorbuster person I would be upset, I think.  But I could never choose shopping over spending turkey day with the family. Last year since I was so ill, I did everything online and went to Target around 10-11 am Friday and still got my big Hotwheels set I wanted. So I'm confidant that all the deals won't be gone by the time I make my way to the stores, if I even go out this year. 

I want to join the "Take Back Black Friday" movement.  I was just talking with my sister today, for us it was ruined even with the midnight openings (too tiring to stay up all night shopping) and has only gotten worse with the Thanksgiving DAY openings.  Like someone else said it wasn't just about the shopping but 20 yrs of that being "our day".

I didn't make all the rounds last year for the openings and I won't be again this year.  I will still probably go out Friday early morning but it's not the same.

• Like 5

We need one moderately big retailer who opened up on Thanksgiving last year or this ear to make a big announcement that the trend that's been happening is WRONG and that they are going back to a true "Black Friday" opening.  With public support, I bet there will be a domino effect back the other way.  Maybe not all the retailers, but enough.  

• Like 4

I agree!!  We need to  let the sotres know that  Thanksgiving is STILL a  holiday  and that  thier employees  need to be able to be home with thier familoes too !!!!!!!!!  We  always have a  big  Thanksgiving  Day  Family Dinner  and  by the time every  cooks, comes and goes -  Im tired!!!!! Besides  It was a big  deal to get up  way early on friday - go  shopping  - then go to breakfast  as a  family!  then  continue indiidual  shopping!!!!!! Now - It's just  not the same ............

I think I am changing my strategy this year.  I have nieces and nephews that want to join in on the fun. 

Instead of BF breakfast being where we hand out store to get to, we will move it to Thanksgiving morning.  We have always met up to plan then anyway.  Nieces and nephews are night people.  I am definitely a morning person.  While we won't all be out at the same time, we will be on the same quest.  We will meet up again for brunch on Black Friday and divide up what people were able to get from the different stores.

Trying to turn the store openings into an advantage.

HATE the new times for bf shopping. I loved getting up at 2am with my husband and kids and getting in line with the other die hard bf shoppers. Now everyone and their grandmother are out shopping at these evening times. So many teenagers and ppl that aren't true veterans make me mad and just get in the way. They don't know what true bf shopping is all about. I don't see the times going back now, they are seeing more profit b/c so many more ppl are able to shop at these times.

• Like 2

We need one moderately big retailer who opened up on Thanksgiving last year or this ear to make a big announcement that the trend that's been happening is WRONG and that they are going back to a true "Black Friday" opening.  With public support, I bet there will be a domino effect back the other way.  Maybe not all the retailers, but enough.  

I doubt this will ever happen. It's all about the money. Millions of people will shop at Wal-mart on Thanksgiving day. If they were not open most of those people would go to Target. 

Like most of you I'm a little sadden by this new trend, last year just didnt feel the same to me and I did a lot of shopping online. This year looks like I will do even more. Unfortunately I dont think I can skip Walmart's early sale simply because I want the ipad mini for our little one. I doubt they open that up online. Thanksgiving just isnt the same anymore, I feel even worst for the families of those that have to work these hours before it was a just the Friday madness now they have to deal with 4 days of craziness...

I hate the new times. Really, I hate them. BF shopping used to be like you were part of a secret club! Even though there were a limited number of items, there was some sort of camaraderie among shoppers. People were tired, but they smiled. Stores were busy, but they celebrated shoppers with giveaways, small treats, etc.

Now everyone and anyone is out and about. People who have been up since before dawn to cook and prepare for dinner, haven't slept and are now trying to shop, babies and toddlers, roaming packs of teens with nothing to do, etc. Not that everyone doesn't have the right to be there, but when the BF times were around 5am, only those 'die-hards' were out and the traffic (both road and pedestrian) were a lot less. I agree with an above poster who said they did not see many smiles last year.

I also like the idea of "taking back BF". I will NOT shop on Thanksgiving, but maybe I WILL set my alarm and head out around 4 or 5am. Of course I may not see everything I hope to, but it will be a good experiment and maybe, just maybe if enough people do it, the time stamps on the sales reports will show that people prefer it that way.

• Like 4

I think I will like shopping Thursday night more than Black Friday morning. Our family time is over by late afternoon, and I am not a morning person! For the last few years I have gotten most of my shopping done online in the wee hours of Friday morning, so getting in line and navigating the crowds is even less appealing when I haven't slept. I just wonder when the online BF sales will be starting this year!

For the first time in 33 years of marriage (other than the years that I was deployed overseas) I won't be cooking Thanksgiving dinner for my family. Since Walmart's decision to start earlier this year, and the fact that it's where my wife works, her 12-9 schedule that day just took away a long standing tradition.  Previously, since she works at a supercenter, they've had 4 hour shifts which we could work around.  But not this time, since they need "all hands on deck" for the 6pm Event 1.  You might say that I'm a little bitter about it, and no I don't like having Thanksgiving become Black Thursday.  Hopefully she will be able to retire in 2 or 3 years and we can have our Thanksgiving back.

NOT loving it.

NOT going to be shopping before Friday.  Period. 

I have not seen one deal out there that would even remotely tempt me away from spending time with my family.  We're doing our usual Thanksgiving traditions - a big family meal and a movie marathon at home.

If there are deals on Friday, well great.  If not ... too bad for the retailers - I'll be keeping my money.

• Like 1