I THINK I'm Done But Still Want to Buy More

bfaddict1977

I was able to get ALL my hot items this year well before. I am done my shopping, save for stocking stuffers:) Got zoobles, squinkies, buzz, dance star mickey, cheap laptop,

sing a ma jigs and more. Wouldn't have known half of it had it not been for the great tips on here. Thanks!!!

Anyone else have this issue? I only have to shop for my kids and a couple of friends. Haven't gotten my friends their items yet. Doing that later. My kids each have about 18-20 gifts. We do both channuka and xmas. I dole out gifts for 8 nights of channuka and then the rest for xmas. They're well stocked yet I feel something more is missing, like I need more toys. It gets worse each year. Anyone else have this? My baby needs more toys. He's short changed:) lol He has a 1st bday dec 18 too so I am giving him 1 gift. Am I crazy to worry my kids wont have enough toys? On average how many toys do your kids get for xmas each year? DD has expensive gifts too, mp3 player, camera, laptop. She also asked for a wii fit, which I may get but that's another $100.

We are 1/2 way done shopping for our kids now. Their main gift which is a joint gift is done. We still have several more gifts but one minute I will feel like they have enough and the next I think they don't have enough. We try to keep some of their gifts very useful like clothes and a couple new books each.

I don't have children, but I do get this way for the people that we buy for. I think it's natural. You want to give gifts that you believe the person will enjoy so when you are "done" and you see something else that you know they will love then you want to give that to them too.

I am trying to get away from this especially with my niece and nephews. Last year I kept finding stuff for my niece and since it was her first Christmas and she is the only girl besides the SIL's in a family filled with boys I could not resist buying her all of these cute girly clothes. The problem then became that I wanted the nephew's gifts to be even with her gifts. Ugh! This year I am sticking with a set number of gifts and doing my best to stick to it. (It's hard. Little girls are so much fun to shop for!) I decided to do this after looking back at Christmas last year. I was so stressed about gifts. I wanted everything to be perfect and the amount and quality of the gifts to be equal, etc..... We shouldn't stress about gifts, it isn't any fun.

Maybe you feel this way because you have finished shopping early and it is only October? It does sound like you have done a great job and I am sure everyone will love what you give them. Just think, since you are finished shopping you will be able to enjoy the holiday season more.You all can take in a holiday play, bake cookies and enjoy this time with your family. The best gift of all. :)

I have felt this about my adult kids in the past and do for DD7 now. However, I just cleaned her bedroom last weekend and plan to do her toy room in the next few weeks so I'll have recently seen how much she really does have. I don't buy her a lot of things throughout the year, she just takes really good care of her toys so they all last and she really does play with them too. I hope to limit the amount this year but ask me if I succeeded on Dec 26;)

I have two children.. Ages 10 and 15 (16 next month). For the first time I have barely started shopping. Cannot believe you are almost done! I can't buy too much ahead though because they are out of the "Toy" phase. They have the pricey electronics on their lists. lol

18-20 gifts? That sounds like a lot to me!

My kids' toy pile has gotten out of control, but I still keep seeing things I would like to give them. I just have to clean their room and I remember not to go crazy with the buying. For the last couple years I gave each kid 3 "real gifts" - one from mom and dad and one from each sibling. Then I also give them a few needed things: clothes, coats, gloves, shoes, bedding, books, art supplies, etc. It has been hard to stick to just 3 gifts per kid, but they get plenty from other places. Santa has given them a big toy, game, and loads of stocking stuffers the last few years. Plus they each got gifts from 2 aunts and 5 grandparents. (This year they lost a Grandma and another Grandma won't be able to buy. I am tempted to fill in for them, but not sure if they need more...)

I over do it on my kids...well my son...soon to have a daughter lol but I over do for my husband too....i want my living room full of gifts on christmas morning! I prob do 60 gifts in all lol I'm sure that when my daughter is here next year I'll do more evenly and budgeted buying but for now it's what I do! Lol I do have yard sales thruout the yr to get rid of outgrown toys tho

I like buying too and have a hard time stopping :) And I too am going through the kids' things and sorting. They get a mix of needs and wants and don't seem to care as long as they have something to open... but these are the same two who get excited about getting socks and underwear for a present! :D

I always overdo. This year I have told myself that I am going to not go crazy but I already am having such a hard time with it. I always feel like I dont have enough but I do love Christmas morning when the living room is filled with gifts =)

So to answer your question..YES! I always say Im done but never really am!

I have this problem just about every year, but this year it has to stop because I just don't have the moolah for it. It's going to be difficult especially since I'm all done shopping now and have little to nothing to do during the next two months, but I have to get through it.

DH and I give the kids (4 of them) 1 x-mas gift each. Then Santa brings 3-4 gifts each, most gifts are $15-25 each with maybe one per kid around $50. Although DD 9 got a Nintendo DS a couple years ago. Then they usually get 1-2 small toys in their stocking. Grandma gets them 1 toy each and sometimes one of the uncles gets them all a small toy. Grandpa and other uncle usually give family cash gifts which the past couple years has partially paid for our x-mas.

I will still BF browse. DH is hoping he can pick up some extra hours at work and with the extra money we are hoping we can find a couple really good deals on a either laptop or desktop computers.

Ok so I always go way overboard at christmas time for my two children. They both end up getting tons of stuff from me and then tons more things from everyone in the family too. After christmas their new things quickly lose their luster and are thrown in the toy box barely ever seeing the light of day! So this year I am wanting to cut back and was wondering about how many items do you try to stick to for each child? :confused:

well the question is what can you do without hurting your budget or creating debt, if you are doing either of these too then it is too much........my kids get way too much every year too and we are happy to be able to do this finacially..........what we do is try to focus on things that will be used, clothing, pjs, movies, music and ask for those types of things from famliy then we get them the must have items from thier lists. that way they get alot but it is not useless purchases, if you are buying things that they loose interest in quickly then look for different things to buy, thing they can do or use instead of the latest toy that will wear out, everyone will proball be happier in the long run!

do what I used to do when my kids were little - I wrapped EVERYTHING. If one of their gifts was a pair of socks - I would put each sock in a box and wrapped it. That way they had tons to open, and our tree was full - but in actuality, I didn't spend a lot of money! They got 2 big gifts, then alot of fluff. Picked up a bunch of stuff on clearance and the dollar store which helped a bunch!

Of course, it also depends on how old your kids are. I think the older they are, the less they should get because their gifts are normally so expensive.

i agree with the above post. my kids get WAY too much and this year I've been trying to curb things. Their gifts also cost much more because they're getting older. And 3 of my 4 have bdays right before and after xmas so I planned for that as well. I am doing about 8-10 gifts per child. We also do hannuka, 1 gift each night. I have to purchase my wrapping paper and start wrapping!

You could also do gifts that are things to do. For example we get DD a zoo pass for her BD. If there are places to go and do then spend at least some of the money there. You could also do some gift cards to stores they like, so when they need something new you won't have to spend more money, they can use the gift card. If they like to read you can do magazines they would get a new issue every month. I don't know if theaters offer gift cards but that would give them something to do too. I am considering getting DD horseback riding lessons for her BD this coming year. There are endless possibilities. I also agree with previous posters, about no debt, I learned the hard way but I have learned.

I have the same problem and am going to try to cut back a lot this year. DD is an only child so I love shopping for her. And then family gets her tons of stuff too. We have so much unused items in her playroom from last Christmas and her birthday. So, I am not putting a number on how many gifts to get her, but will only spend X and not a penny more and buy things that she will actually use (although I guess incorrectly a lot on that front).

We start with 3 toys (or other "wants") - one from Mom and Dad, and one from each of their siblings. Then we give each kid some "needs"- could be clothes, coats, books, art supplies, etc. - whatever we are low on. Then Santa usually brings each kid one big toy, a game and some stocking stuffers.

A couple weeks before Christmas we clean out the toy boxes so there really isn't much left until they open the gifts. And I really think about each toy I want to give the kids- will they really play with it? will there be missing pieces all over the place? So far, we have tried to give gifts with few pieces (except games which aren't stored in their rooms). This year we have to be extra selective about what we give them because we are short on space and cash.

I told the girls...14 and 8...that they will not be getting all the little stuff they use to get.....and to my surprise they are totally fine with it.....not that the budget is any different..I am just sooo sick and tired of the toy room being such a mess from the 8 yr ......they always get clothes no matter what.....oldest dd want a phone and god only knows what big gift the other dd wants...it changes every week....lol....she wants a nano but she always "misplaces" her mp3....lol....so dont really know if I really want to get her one...maybe if I can get on at a decent price...haven't really priced them though