Will Ads be better or worse than last year?

ChristmasShopping

I still think the ads will nearly be the same except in some area's. LCD Tv's and mobile devices will see big sales drop this BF. Some area's like toys and housewares will always stay high. BB has put out some not so good adds the past few years, but I suspect they will have at least one or two really good sale items this year. I was at Walmart last year for the $200.00 15inch laptop and thought that was a great deal for my 9yr. old. BB and other stores will try to at least match it this year. The doors slowly opening.

Arrived at Walmart at 9pm and was first in line in the store. BB had over 100 by 6pm here, and everyone had to wait outside. Walmart had their BF done right this time. lets hope they keep up the good work. Go Walmart!

I think that they might be slightly better this year:D, especially on the LCD TV. Lately on the tech sites there is a lot of talk about the surplus of them and the demand has kind of died. The market has been saturated with them for the past 7 years and now just about everyone has one. The only good thing is that just about everyone I know wants a bigger and better one. So the standard :eyepoppin( Non-3D ) will be fairly cheap I believe as will the netbooks. Either way I will be in line early to get something:yup:

• 2 weeks later...
Well the outlook was bleak last year, as we didn't see many eye-opening ads.. But, this year I believe we will see some pretty decent ads. I say that, because the last few years were low in profits. If sales were low, they want to boost their earnings. So, maybe thus the time for some great jaw- dropping deals. Lets hope :)

For the past few years the deals have been getting worse and worse and more retailers are trying to spread the deals throughout the month on November rather than putting it all into 1 day. The best deals will still be on Black Friday, however if last year is any indication expect a lot of the items to be on sale for the BF price a few days before BF. Last year I needed a new GPS and after having seen all the BF sales I bought it on the Monday before BF since I knew that it was the best deal and for the same price on BF. There will be some "extreme deals" in very limited quantity but not the great deals we are used to seeing 4 or 5 years ago. I'm addicted to BF so I'll be shopping someplace. For many years I was always on line at Best Buy but with no Circuit City to compete, the deals last year were so weak I didn't even bother with Best Buy.

I agree with Brad. Last year we were in a horrible recession and the ads were pretty bad. Now that we are supposedly out of the recession (which we are not, I'm in real estate, I know ) I can't see the ads being much better than last years. I figure if all else fails I will be in line at the Coach Outlet in BF.

I'm with ya on the Coach Outlet, sister!!

For the past few years the deals have been getting worse and worse and more retailers are trying to spread the deals throughout the month on November rather than putting it all into 1 day. The best deals will still be on Black Friday, however if last year is any indication expect a lot of the items to be on sale for the BF price a few days before BF. Last year I needed a new GPS and after having seen all the BF sales I bought it on the Monday before BF since I knew that it was the best deal and for the same price on BF. There will be some "extreme deals" in very limited quantity but not the great deals we are used to seeing 4 or 5 years ago. I'm addicted to BF so I'll be shopping someplace. For many years I was always on line at Best Buy but with no Circuit City to compete, the deals last year were so weak I didn't even bother with Best Buy.

I have to agree with you about BB. I miss the brick and mortar CC beacuse it gave a great alternative and was decent competition for BB, especially on BF. Last year, BB was the 3rd store we hit, but other than a couple of movies I wanted for the boyfriend (and was out of luck as they were gone, but still no big deal), they had nothing I was lusting for. I ended up buying a cheap printer for my laptop and that was it. Didn't feel like I was missing anything. Hopefully this year will be better!!

Everybody has the opportunity right now to balance their comments against the carefully kept records of Black Fridays past, and in comparison, I find it hard to believe the negativity I see on this board, as well as others. people are generally spoiled and suffer from product saturation. It is plain and simple. People expect prices to go down exponentially every year, and quality to go up to keep pace with it. At this rate, more retailers would be out of business than could offer the deals.

I invite you to pick out one category and then debate it here. Take LCD TVs for example. Another person could take computers. Look at the specs and whether rebates were offered, and then match it up year by year till you get to this years ad. You just may come to the conclusion that people are in fact basically unrealistic in their expectations.

As I have pointed out earlier, a news article polled people on what percentage of a discount they expected prices to be this year in order for them to come out, and they responded, "20 percent".:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

What I heard from a 13 year employee at a regional electronics store;

"We will not be taking losses on Black Friday items like we have in the past."

I'm suspecting the sale items from most retailers will be very limited and the percentage of mark-down on prices will not be as great as past years. As has been proven in previous years, some major retailers advertise items as Black Friday specials while many of us here knew there was nothing special about the advertised price. Guessing we will see more of that type of hype this year.

I am already VERY disappointed by the bf "sales" ads. I mean, what is up with the sears ad?!! Horrible, what happened to the 40 drill they have every year? I'm glad I got mine last year, and they always have a 20 jack, and its 24.99 this year! Wont be going there, if best buy no deals on a good hdtv, ill be ordering from amazon, its already in my cart, the tv I want is 1699 at bb and 1099 on amazon! Ill wait until the bb ad is posted, if theres nothing ill buy the tv from amazon with my bb cc so I can get the points still!

I agree.....sears ad kinda sucks...im really hoping tvs will go on sale more then im seeing....last year walmart had a 32 inch for 248 I think....cheapest 32 inch at sears is I think close to 400.......if your like me.......you go more for price then name brand....I just want a 32 inch tv for 248 or less! Thats all I can afford.....the rest I can really care less about...im hoping they will have the same tv at walmart for at least the same as last year....

and I get where that other poster is coming from.......they cant keep going down or things will eventually be free......but as things change and we evolve from lcd and plasma to things like 3d's.......older models become cheaper until they eventually disappear all together.....and so is the way of the world.....lol

We see these same comments year after year after year, lol.

And then the Target, BB and WM ads hit and everyone gets all excited again. Like clockwork. Every year.

Yes... I cant decide if it will be a good year until the ads come out to the places that I will go to.... Target, Kmart, BB, and Wally World.

We see these same comments year after year after year, lol.

And then the Target, BB and WM ads hit and everyone gets all excited again. Like clockwork. Every year.

No, when the ads hit everyone complains that they aren't as good as they'd hoped and swears the previous year's were better...THEN a few days later they get excited.

as technology increases, prices will drop. I predict it to be the year of the net book while laptop prices stay the same as last year (but with slightly upgraded specs). With the addition of 3D and LED tv's, prices on LCD and plasma will continue to fall as we get closer to BF, and will be comparable to what we have seen in the past. People with out jobs= less income for retailers = not so many loss leaders for us to snatch up. Not terribly impressed with the ads that are out yet (with the exception of a few items @ sears.... and those are house things)

Will the ads be better? NO. will we all still be shopping? YES!!!

I'm starting to have some hopes at least on SOME items. Best Buy just had a $279 laptop for sale. I'm not sure they will ever have the $229 laptops again but it's giving me some hope, lol. If not a laptop for $229 maybe a decent specs laptop for a little more. The cheap laptops get people in the door faster than anything though so don't be surprised by a cheap one. With technology upgraded from last year the LCD tvs will be less and they will have some sales on LED tvs but only about $200 off the regular prices. The LCDs will be cheaper than last year, but then again the retail of most of them now are lower than last years BF deals.

Last year's BF "bargains" were the weakest since the last recession. Despite any spin about the recession being over, all true indicators are that the recession is deeper than last year with no signs of bottoming out. Given that, I expect the deals to be even weaker this year than last.

Retailers know that when the economy is bad, there is little to no "coattail effect" on doorbuster items. Bargain hunters get in, get the doorbuster only, and get out. As for the non-doorbuster bargains, those prices are no more special than their regular sale prices.

That's my prediction and I'm stickin' to it.

The ads are disappointing so far. Following a recession, there won't be much inventory (except for HDTV) for cut throat price sales. The best BF would be the year when it just hit recession (which was 2008) that manufacturer and vendors need to get rid of the inventory get money.