Will Ads be better or worse than last year?

ChristmasShopping

I have to say that last year, I wasn't impressed with most of the ads. I did go out and shop (of course) but I didn't find as much as I normally do and actually waited to buy a couple things hoping to see the price come down the weeks before Christmas.

With the economy the way it is, do you think the ads will be better or worse than last year?

I agree with Brad. Last year we were in a horrible recession and the ads were pretty bad. Now that we are supposedly out of the recession (which we are not, I'm in real estate, I know ;) ) I can't see the ads being much better than last years. I figure if all else fails I will be in line at the Coach Outlet in BF. ;)

I also have the feeling that we're looking at about the same as last year. I certainly don't look for BB to release any killer deals seeing as they have no real competition especially around my are in upstate SC. The last two years have been kind of down so I just went and sat at Wal-Mart all night and picked up a few things. I hope I'm wrong though, I hope some store just comes out and floors us with something that will make me brave the elements once again. Can't wait.

Probably worse. They have been getting steadily worse over last few years. Besides Old Navy, I'll probably buy the few items I intend to get online, which was where all the worthwhile deals were. Now, if I am pleasantly surprised by some killer deals, I'll be out there with the hordes. :D

I actually would think it will be worse and possibly not as many sale items. The economy is tanking. Chances are retail is watching closely and making note of the high unemployment numbers.

Avg sales year at best.

Crossing my fingers I am wrong.

I hope they're better than last year. I did all of my shopping online and only went to Walmart mid-afternoon because my Christmas lights blew out and I needed new ones. lol

Target just had a Black Friday in July sale and the deals didn't look that great. Not sure how the sales did, but I hope their "real" Black Friday deals are better.

I hope they're better than last year.

Target just had a Black Friday in July sale and the deals didn't look that great. Not sure how the sales did, but I hope their "real" Black Friday deals are better.

I know! I surely hope that they are better than Christmas in July prices...lol. I know that I will find something for my daughter who will be 4 in October. She is happy w/pretty much anything.

As for the bigger electronic items, I think I may buy some of them in Walmart's secret sales if they have them this year.

the secret sales were great. I snagged the last 46-inch tv about a week after the sale and then couldn't get it out of my car. It was a mission but well worth it, I can't promise I won't have store assistants shove huge tv's into my sentra's backseat if I find another deal like that :)

I think the sales will be about the same as last year...I think it depends on what you are lookiong for. Last year I needed alot of toys and clothes and I found great deals for that on bf. This year I need more electronics so Im not sure that I'll be as lucky...

I'll probably do most of my shopping online with mandatory wake up early/stay up and go out before 4 anyhow. I'm hoping BB gets rid of shipping charges this year.

I think last year on Thanksgiving BB did free shipping. its normally only on Thanksgiving day though. I know that in the past I've used it before many of times

• 2 weeks later...
i think the problem is black friday is so mainstream now retailers have people that will show up no matter what so now they just have decent deals and expect people to buy them like people who dont come to forums to post about BF. hopefully amazon can come through with some minor items.

• 3 weeks later...
More than one news source, (Clark Howard, CNN) has reported that LCD TV sales will be the big draw this Holiday season. Electronics and computers will do very well in general, as the stories tell of vast buys and hoarding of these items (waiting for the recovery)which must now be sold, or lose too much profitability to the newer technology. Edited by jaymacfla
spelling

Sucky ads or not, ill wait 2 days for a cheap bluray. Its all about the thrill baby!

Im hoping for a Blu Ray Player, 3D LED 120HZ TV of sorts (not sure if I really want one), and a Netbook. Obviously ill peak at various bluray media etc, perhaps a flat panel monitor and various items for friends that may want me to pick somthing up for them.

I love camping out, bring the car batteries and run my laptop for a good couple days gaming 24/7 with a friend thats there with me while leeching off bestbuy wireless.

What more do you need? :smart: I'll be getting to my join earlier then last year as always. Got beat was 3rd. Just gets earlier and earlier. Arg.

i think the problem is black friday is so mainstream now retailers have people that will show up no matter what so now they just have decent deals and expect people to buy them.

And they're pretty much right - people will line up just like always for very mediocre sales.