is it ethical? (reselling tickets for hot items)

Just Me

Is it ethical?  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ethical?

• Yes Godd business you waited they didn't
    • No it isn't fair to others who waited and were behind you
    • Not sure I'm on the fence

I dont see anyone on here complaining about those who buy things for resale.

To me, there is no difference between selling a ticket as opposed to taking the ticket, purchasing the item, and then selling it on ebay at a profit. The former is just the shorter way to make some money, requiring less effort, but providing a smaller return. Its capitalism at its best!

It's wrong for a few reasons.

There are people online that actually want the product for themselves. If some douche

takes all tickets that he just plans on reselling them it takes away from the whole waiting

online.It's just not fair...

It's the same people who bought ps3's when it first launched to just sell them on ebay

for a crazy price. Ya it's capitalism but your causing inflation because your using low

stock for your advantage. I know I'm probably hypocritical but I dunno..

I say those who wait on line get what they need, and that's it. If you really plan

on reselling the tickets to someone in the back, then honestly, your ruining the fun.

Last BF i person came up to me that was about 50 spots behind me. I was 3rd on line

and they told me, they really wanted the 50in toshiba and that they were worried

they wouldn't get it because they were so far behind. So I grabbed a ticket for them no

charge. It ended up with them getting the TV anyway..so i had a spare ticket. On the way

out there was a line for the TV section, so i asked a few customers what they were in

line for intill one of them said the 50in toshiba. First person that said it, I told them, Merry Christmas and I gave them the ticket. Made me feel pretty good.

Three yrs ago the police came and arrested people outside of BB on BF for scalping the tickets to the people in the back of the line. Way to Go! It's one thing to sell the item for more on ebay if someone wants to bid on it. They got what they deserved for going through the line to the highest bidder with the poor souls that were next in line to find out that the people didn't really want it.:mad:

I dont see anyone on here complaining about those who buy things for resale.

To me, there is no difference between selling a ticket as opposed to taking the ticket, purchasing the item, and then selling it on ebay at a profit. The former is just the shorter way to make some money, requiring less effort, but providing a smaller return. Its capitalism at its best!

Exactly - if you wait for a ticket like anyone else could have done, then you deserve it as much as anyone else. If you want to sell it (and the store or the police won't stop you), go right ahead. I have no problem with it.

I agree. How is it any different if you wait inline for something just to sell it? Like last year for the PS3's whats the difference from standing in line to buy it ans then sell it, or just standing in line and selling your spot? I tried to sell myself on ebay To stand in line for it, they had such a strong policy on ps3's.

I believe that you have the right to do what you want with the products you buy. Isn't that the basics of capitalism? You buy an item and the value of that item is set by demand, thus long lines on BF for undervalued items. If you decide to sell the said item. The price is set by what the person (consumer) on the other end is willing to pay. Do I believe that one person should be able to screw everyone else in line by buying everything up. NO! I do believe that a person must reasonable when deciding to resell items.

Just make sure you don't get screwed. A few sketchy looking young guys were offering $100 for ticketa for the cheap laptop last year. A friend of mine sold his ticket to them, then discovered that they had just wrapped a few ones up in a twenty - he got $24 for his ticket.

I don't have a problem if someone resales their tickets any more than if someone gets paid to sit in line for someone else. I don't know how you could be arrested for scalping as there is no face value of the tickets unless you consider the price savings as the value, in which case that could be hundreds of dollars. No one is going to pay more than that for the ticket. This would seem to be a very easy rap to beat.

If someone shows up at 7 am Thursday, they are paying their dues. What they do with their booty is up to them. Fair? No. Ethical? I don't see this is an ethical question. Legal? Yes. Right? I say yes. If you don't get that laptop because the guy in front of you took that last ticket and sold it, then either buy his ticket or get there earlier next year.

Wow! 2006 Spent $1000 at BB. Sold some of my tickets for $350. Great deal at $1000. OFF THE CHARTS DEAL At $650. I'll do it again this year! Get over it! Sgklee

By the Way. I'll probably bring coffee and donuts this year and sell them also. Maybe I can get my Plasma TV for Free this year! Gotta Love BF!!!

Wow! 2006 Spent $1000 at BB. Sold some of my tickets for $350. Great deal at $1000. OFF THE CHARTS DEAL At $650. I'll do it again this year! Get over it! Sgklee

By the Way. I'll probably bring coffee and donuts this year and sell them also. Maybe I can get my Plasma TV for Free this year! Gotta Love BF!!!

Now what your doing is wrong ethically, but if people are stupid enough give you money, then that's their fault.

If you are stupid enough to wait out in the cold, no shower, hot food or modern bathroom facilities for possibly DAYS for the "right" to own a ticket that allows you to buy an item below cost and decide to sell said ticket to someone who is "smart" enough to show up 20 minutes before the store opens and give you a few bucks for your effort, then why is that wrong??? You are providing a SERVICE here...you are FREEZING for hours, uncomfortable, hungry, pissing in the weeds, tired....isn't that worth SOMETHING????

The way I see it, the one guy is paying the ticket holder for his time and effort. If you do not like it, then I guess you need to get there in line BEFORE the scalper! If both the buyer and the seller are OK with it and AGREE on the price, who is losing out??? One way or the other, SOMEONE is going to get the item BEFORE you if you are not the first in line. What difference does it make what their motives or reasons are for getting it????

OK, all of that being said, I do not participate in BF in any way, shape or form. I avoid it entirely. There is NOTHING I need bad enough to go through all of that to save a few bucks. I have the patience to wait until Jan. to get whatever the hot item is. By then, those things are usually plentiful and not much different in price.

America has become way too materialistic. Kids have become too demanding. WHY do they NEED the most up to date video game system EVERY year??? What is wrong with the one that the parents went through HELL to get just 12 months ago?????

Marc, feel free to insert a "getting down off my soapbox" smiley here. :D

My best buy told me that they are going to restrict tickets to one of each, per person, per address. This will make it actually easier to sell the ones that you might have otherwise bought yourself. We bought three of the mp3 players last year, so this year we can only buy one under the new rules. It will now be imperative that you bring a shopping buddy with you to ensure that multiple purchases of the same item are possible. Another member said that they are going to check drivers licenses, so do not give them your DL, they have no right to ask for it as verification. If the ad does not directly ask for verification, you do not have to provide it. Last year, they treated everyone as an individual, instead of a "penalized because you are a family member" shopper. The coffee pitch is a good one. Down here, you can make a pretty penny off of boiled peanuts!

I hadn't heard of them asking for DL's yet. I work for a large potato chip maker, so everyone in line at 12am got a Midnight snack for free. We all had a good time talking with our line mates. Almost everyone in line wished someone had been selling coffee or hot chocolate, me included. Some even suggested hotdogs and cokes. They said they were already sick of Turkey and dressing.

On a side note. Only one person that I sold a ticket to thought he should have gotten it for free. I also gave away for free 2 tickets that no one had bought. They were extremely appreciative. My daughter will be camping with me this year so it ought to be a blast. Goodluck to everyone on BF!!!!!!!! Sgklee

My best buy told me that they are going to restrict tickets to one of each, per person, per address. This will make it actually easier to sell the ones that you might have otherwise bought yourself. We bought three of the mp3 players last year, so this year we can only buy one under the new rules. It will now be imperative that you bring a shopping buddy with you to ensure that multiple purchases of the same item are possible. Another member said that they are going to check drivers licenses, so do not give them your DL, they have no right to ask for it as verification. If the ad does not directly ask for verification, you do not have to provide it. Last year, they treated everyone as an individual, instead of a "penalized because you are a family member" shopper. The coffee pitch is a good one. Down here, you can make a pretty penny off of boiled peanuts!

Still won't hurt me My brother has a diffrent address from a diffrent state. Hubby uses his DL and I'll use my military ID and claim I don't drive lol. I doubt they do that here though cause it was so freaking cold last year those poor people wanted to hand out those tickets and get back in the store ASAP

Still won't hurt me My brother has a diffrent address from a diffrent state. Hubby uses his DL and I'll use my military ID and claim I don't drive lol. I doubt they do that here though cause it was so freaking cold last year those poor people wanted to hand out those tickets and get back in the store ASAP

I will do the same.. I will use military ID and say I dont drive.. How can they prove that I do I need 2 lap tops I will get two:gdparanoid:

Some one did that last year at the bb I was at, and they got beat up by some people who was closer in line and seen what was going on the person selling the tickets got hurt and went to jail. Not worth the pain I think. Some times it's better to do the right thing than to try and make money. I just wanted to add made a lot of People mad at the seller.

Some one did that last year at the bb I was at, and they got beat up by some people who was closer in line and seen what was going on the person selling the tickets got hurt and went to jail. Not worth the pain I think. Some times it's better to do the right thing than to try and make money. I just wanted to add made a lot of People mad at the seller.

So the guy who got beat up went to jail and nothing happened to the upstanding citizens who committed the assault? :rolleyes: ...I think I'm calling B.S. on this one.

I heard the same rumors on these boards last year. I don't know if this is a decision made by the individual stores, but it was not the case at my BB. I mean why would they really go through all the extra trouble? Regardless of how many tickets each person uses BB is still selling the same number of items. Limiting tickets to one per person would create unnecessary additional work and would not increase their profit margin. From a business standpoint it just doesn't make any sense.

Quoted for the truth. After what happened last year and seeing the support for all this unethical behaviour on BF its really turned me off. I used to want to take the day off, more so then Thanksgiving. I used to have fun looking for the deals and planning my day but now its just turned into a who can get rich quick off it scheme in whatever way possible. Whats maddening is its not even alot of money we are talking about here, but enough to ruin the day of the people immediately behind you in line who waited there probably almost as long as you have.

I give up on BF this year. Im just going to order a TV I need from a shop I found, pretty good deal on it. This is just not worth the hassle of waiting in line the afternoon of Thanksgiving to beat out people who aren't even there for the deals just to make a few bucks.

Amen.

I haven't bothered for a couple years now. I did a Best Buy 3-4am run a few years ago. When I hear about people showing up the day before, I realized that they could have it. My time is worth way more than anything they could possibly have saved and I avoid having to deal with the re-sellers and other less than upstanding types as well.

I see no problem with it. If someone is willing to pay for something and you dont wantit or need it after all why not. Lastyear I got to my local BB at around 11pm on thursday totry and get the laptop for my wife. We werent close enough to get the ticket but we got the ticket for the TV because my brother wanted it. Turns out one of my other brothers got it for him elsewhere. I decided to leave after I got the things Iwanted. My wife asked what I was going to do with the ticket and I said probably just throw it out or give it to someone. She sayd give it to me. She walked right into the store inthe TV area and said " I have a ticket for the big tv" People flocked to her with offers. We ended up getting like $100 for it. So in my opinion if you want to sell it go for it.

Guest CS.Dean

last year while waiting in line there was this guy who was like 150 in line. he kept bugging everyone in the front of the line because he wanted a laptop. He finnally got everyone's last nerve. When tickets came around I got 2 for laptops that I did not want. There was a young college student who showed up late in the morning. She was not from the states so she was lost. They guys directly behind me were down right mean to her. She just did not understand BF at all.

The first guy I sold him a ticket for $25

The college student I hunted down in the back of the line and gave her a ticket.

I guess I am guilty but I am nice at the same time.

last year while waiting in line there was this guy who was like 150 in line. he kept bugging everyone in the front of the line because he wanted a laptop. He finnally got everyone's last nerve. When tickets came around I got 2 for laptops that I did not want. There was a young college student who showed up late in the morning. She was not from the states so she was lost. They guys directly behind me were down right mean to her. She just did not understand BF at all.

The first guy I sold him a ticket for $25

The college student I hunted down in the back of the line and gave her a ticket.

I guess I am guilty but I am nice at the same time.

I'd consider you a nice guy lol .

I'm thinking about helping my strugglin college peeps out this year, also lol. Maybe grab a few tickets and then hold a raffle or something. They actually have family that won't let them leave lol.

I dont think that the people were arrested for ticket scalping. It was probably more like conducting business without proper business licenses/tax certificates on private property that is not your own. Even selling on Ebay you are supposed to declare your total sales and report that on your income tax statements. I cannot see how they could be arrested for ticket scalping as the tickets have a value (the amount saved), they just do not have a cash value in the store (you cannot turn the ticket into the store for cash).

I do not have a problem with selling the tickets. Its supply and demand. Where there is a large demand and low supply, the price increases. Everything we buy is like that (gas, food, etc). The same with the tickets. Someone has something that someone else wants and sells the ticket. I have heard of people making over $1000 on selling tickets on BF, so it could be worth it. If you are afraid of not getting an item, get there earlier.

Another solution that would work better than selling the tickets is actually buying the item and then selling it on the way out. You would be able to make more money that way (same as Ebay, just without the fees and shipping). Again, you should check with local laws regarding business licensing.

As for the coffee/food sales. You would need to get permission from the city as well as the store. The health department would also most likely get involved as you are "serving" customers. A great idea, but I am not sure it is worth the hassle of doing it legally.

last year i was the 5th one and got all the tickets just incase i needed somthing, then if i did not want the ticket, i just gave it to nice looking people inside the store. THis couple with a teenager kid were looking at computers so i walked up to them and asked if they need a desktop. they said yes and i gave them the ticket. they were so happy because the desktop deal at bb was good last year. this feeling was better then the $20 dollars i would make. be nice everyone because good things happen to good people. :)

2 years in a row I've seen tickets confiscated and people booted for doing this at our local BB....personally I think it's as wrong as the people who show up and jump the line where their friends are(always ahead of us) Best Buy needs to do a better job. A porta-potty and a table with coffee would cost them next to nothing and enormously increase the good pr they'd get.

I get there at around 7am Thursday morning. Last year we were the first in line because people were dumb waiting in their car at that time. So we have to get there earlier this year!! We are in Miami, FL too...dont know why they didnt want to wait outside. Oh well, their loss!! If I am not #1 I get mad!

I do not want anything either, I sell it all on ebay. I make sure I get a profit of at LEAST 100 on each item. If someone wants to buy my ticket for 100, sure!! Saves me a lot of time. My girlfriend bought stuff for herself and family last year (she waited in line with me), but now she wants to do the same as me. Hahaha. Guess I rubbed off on her :) We have a good reason though for selling the items...we are planning a trip to NJ so she can meet my whole family (we just got engaged) and we have to use the train to travel...kind of expensive. But we hope BF will get us the funds needed!

2 years in a row I've seen tickets confiscated and people booted for doing this at our local BB....personally I think it's as wrong as the people who show up and jump the line where their friends are(always ahead of us) Best Buy needs to do a better job. A porta-potty and a table with coffee would cost them next to nothing and enormously increase the good pr they'd get.

The bestbuy I go to had two porta-potties last year as well as coffee when it was close to opening.