GottaDEAL 2018 Black Friday T-Shirt Club Posting Thread

Brad

A couple years ago, there was a thread about a big Christmas store somewhere up North (or, at least, North of me). I can't for the life of me remember the name of the store or even what city/state it was in.  Can you help?

Never mind - I found it :).  Bronner's in Frankenmuth, MI

Bronner's is awesome. It's only around 90 minutes north of me, at most. I try to get there at least once a year. :) (Also, hello Bavarian Inn/Zehnder's family style chicken dinners!!! Yum yum yum!)

• Like 1

Bronner's is awesome. It's only around 90 minutes north of me, at most. I try to get there at least once a year. :) (Also, hello Bavarian Inn/Zehnder's family style chicken dinners!!! Yum yum yum!)

I would love to go. It's about 15 hours North of me. My sisters and I are planning a road trip, destination as yet determined, but for some reason they nixed the idea of driving that far. LOL

I would love to go. It's about 15 hours North of me. My sisters and I are planning a road trip, destination as yet determined, but for some reason they nixed the idea of driving that far. LOL

They're wimps... Kidding! lol (I do drive from Ann Arbor, MI to Charlotte, NC twice a year, though - that's about 11-12 hours each way.) 

Road trips are fun when everyone's on board with them, though. Each year when one of my best friends and I head for Vegas for NASCAR, we have one day we set aside for a road trip. I set the limit at ~5 hours each way. Last year, we did the Grand Canyon. This year, we headed to Huntington Beach, CA. She's thinking Death Valley or the giant sequoias next year. Fun times. 

• Like 2

Ugh, I wish we could set them forward one last time and then vote to never change them again! I need to move to one of those awesome states that doesn’t change anymore. I work 6am to 6pm so having that daylight last for a while once I get off work helps a lot.
  • Like 2

Ugh, I wish we could set them forward one last time and then vote to never change them again! I need to move to one of those awesome states that doesn’t change anymore. I work 6am to 6pm so having that daylight last for a while once I get off work helps a lot.

here in Florida its being worked on, they say after this change we wont be doing it ever again, i so hope it passes

• Like 1

I hate daylight savings time.  I just wish we could pick 1 or the other as a whole country and stick to it.  Time zones are much easier to handle.  Is there truly a use for it anymore?  Originally, it was to save candles and allow more light for families during winter months.  When electricity became commonplace, it wiped out that benefit.

My work hours exactly.  I already set my clock forward in the bedroom and turned my alarm on for the morning so I hope to god I show up to work on time tomorrow morning.  

I hate going and coming to work in the dark so I'm all for having some daylight left after I get off work.  

• Like 1

A couple years ago, there was a thread about a big Christmas store somewhere up North (or, at least, North of me). I can't for the life of me remember the name of the store or even what city/state it was in.  Can you help?

Never mind - I found it :).  Bronner's in Frankenmuth, MI

One of these days I'm going to be able to visit my friend in Toledo and I've already said I want to go to Bronner's while I'm there.  She goes fairly regularly and bought me an Elvis ornament from there last year, complete with a purple glitter jumpsuit.  So ugly it's the best thing ever.  :)

• Like 2

I just read a story that toys r us might be closing next week. Despite the fact that I had a terrible experience with online order pickup this year, I always did like the selection of toys in store.

Bargains, baking, and Black Friday!

• Like 1

I just read a story that toys r us might be closing next week. Despite the fact that I had a terrible experience with online order pickup this year, I always did like the selection of toys in store.

I really hope they manage to turn themselves around. One of my favorite stores in general since I had my son. I hate shopping online and it had all the things I wanted/needed that Walmart didn't.

One of these days I'm going to be able to visit my friend in Toledo and I've already said I want to go to Bronner's while I'm there.  She goes fairly regularly and bought me an Elvis ornament from there last year, complete with a purple glitter jumpsuit.  So ugly it's the best thing ever.  :)

Awesome. :) Lots of fun ornaments like that up there. And yes, totally doable from Toledo as a day trip. That's only about 35-40 minutes further south of me. Hope you get to visit soon! 

Me too, it's really mind boggling how quickly it went down. Still hoping it won't happen.

In a story I read about this situation it sounds like the company that took them over in a hostile move some time back strapped them with a $400M a year interest payment that had to be made. That's a HUGE amount of money to have to pay out before you try and do any other type of business. This seems sort of shady to me but I also don't know the specifics of what went on.

• Like 2

here in Florida its being worked on, they say after this change we wont be doing it ever again, i so hope it passes

They are talking about it here in OK too.  But every other news story about it says it the other way (either permanently go to Daylight Saving Time, or permanently get rid of Daylight Saving Time) so I'm not sure what the plan really is.  

I wish the whole country would make the change if it's going to change.  I don't want to have to remember which states are on what to figure out time differences.

• Like 3

Not a college basketball/sports fan so I won't be in this one.

I'm not really into college bball but a sports media friend of mine runs a free bracket challenge every year and he talked me into it a few years back. Soooo... I create a bracket every year but have no clue what I'm doing. First year, I won. lol

• Like 3

I'm not really into college bball but a sports media friend of mine runs a free bracket challenge every year and he talked me into it a few years back. Soooo... I create a bracket every year but have no clue what I'm doing. First year, I won. lol

That's usually what happens, but even if you have no idea what you're doing, if you pick favorites, you usually do moderately well.

Happy Spring...!

Fixed that for you.  I know it's spring because we got four inches of snow Thursday morning and when I finally went outside, the driveway was bare.  Love this time of year when Life comes out from hiding and the world Springs to life.  Our geese are back -- driving the dog nuts (it's a tradition) -- and the lilac branches sticking out of the snow are starting to bud.

Went to TRU today. Sale wasn't that good 10%-30%. And movies, baby food, formula, & diapers were excluded for now. I got some good stuff, but more for the sake of I was planning on getting it this summer anyway. Sand toys, crawling tunnel, water shoes.

The store was packed!!! More people then on Black Friday. It was crazy. Lots of the big stuff was already gone. I was hoping for a really good carseat deal in a few weeks but doubt there'll be any left at this rate.

There was a lady in front of me at customer service who was exchanging a broken swing she bought before the liquidation started. She was trying to return the baby bottle pop suckers she'd purchased today and that poor CSM went round and round with her that 1-no returns on candy even before the liquidation started, and 2- she couldn't accept returns if they were bought after March 22nd. It took her at least ten minutes to accept that she couldn't return those suckers that cost $2.50 total. Was funny but felt bad for the cashier. Then she had to fix my issue (cashiers were marking through the barcodes on receipts, they scanned something wrong and added $15 to my total. They couldn't fix it for a long time had to hand key it all back in to give me my money back since they marked out the code.) Manager was not happy with them, they hired a bunch of people to do the closing sales and they'd been messing up all morning.

Couple employees were trying not to cry. Our store had a lot of long time employees, 5-10 years or more. I felt so bad for them.

TRU just proved once more to me, why they're going out of business. I have one son who is a HUGE Boba Fett fan, and I don't know that he's even aware that Lego now makes a big Boba Fett construction figure, but TRU had it for $29.99. First time I'd ever seen it, so I almost bought it there. Googled it, and it was $6 cheaper every place else. I will miss the variety of what TRU carries, and the TRU exclusive items, but my oldest two are almost aged out of everything there now, aside from Legos and video games, and before I know it, my 8 year old girl will be done, too...